LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: War of the Ring Board Game  (Read 4333 times)

August 23, 2010, 10:09:51 AM
Read 4333 times

Kev-La

• Information Offline
  • Scout
  • Ah... the finest weed in the Southfarthing!
    • My MySpace Space
War of the Ring Board Game
« on: August 23, 2010, 10:09:51 AM »
Hello people.
Yesterday, I managed to win an eBay auction for a used War of the Ring board game by one penny's difference in the last five seconds \:D/
I think it was published in 2004 by Fantasy Flight Games.
Have any of you played this game? I'm hoping it's as good as I've read it is.
Where I come from, one has to first give respect in order to earn it.

August 24, 2010, 02:00:05 PM
Reply #1

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
Re: War of the Ring Board Game
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 02:00:05 PM »
It is great. Very intense, on both side. Whether you play fellowship or shadow, you have the feeling that you are limited on time so the essense of the book and movie have been captured quite perfect imho. I love to play it, though it takes a lot of games to really master it and you must be willing to spend hours on a single game.
..."Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill"...

August 24, 2010, 02:22:57 PM
Reply #2

Kev-La

• Information Offline
  • Scout
    • My MySpace Space
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 02:22:57 PM »
It is great. Very intense, on both side. Whether you play fellowship or shadow, you have the feeling that you are limited on time so the essense of the book and movie have been captured quite perfect imho. I love to play it, though it takes a lot of games to really master it and you must be willing to spend hours on a single game.
Wicked! ;D
Thanks, Gil-Estel :gp:

August 24, 2010, 02:42:03 PM
Reply #3

rubbercarp

• Information Offline
  • Villager
    • www.ccg-singles.com
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 02:42:03 PM »
It's consistently one of the highest ranked games on Board Game Geek.
All of my extra Lord of the Rings TCG, MECCG, SWCCG, and WoW TCG singles are available for sale on my website: http://www.ccg-singles.com

August 24, 2010, 08:51:42 PM
Reply #4

jdizzy001

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 08:51:42 PM »
I've played it.  The game takes forever to play.  It is fun, kind of like a very detailed game of risk.  as a shadow player you can find the ring and corrupt the ring-bearer (hard to do) or you can crush the freepeoples with your massive armies (easy to do). as a freep, you can destroy the ring and win (easy to do) or you can defeat the armies of isengard and mordor with your tiny armies (hard to do) so you can see, the game has a "built in" hard/easy mode for both sides.
*All posts made by jdizzy001, regardless of the thread in which they appear, are expressions of his own opinion and as such are not representative of views shared by any third party unless expressly acknowledged as such by said party.

I play LOTR SBG look at my minis!
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.124731667611081.33577.100002227457509&l=aeb5fa3bdd

August 27, 2010, 03:59:01 PM
Reply #5

Kev-La

• Information Offline
  • Scout
    • My MySpace Space
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 03:59:01 PM »
It's consistently one of the highest ranked games on Board Game Geek.
Yeah, that was where I first read about it, I think. It's a cool website - lots of images of the game.

I've played it.  The game takes forever to play.  It is fun, kind of like a very detailed game of risk.  as a shadow player you can find the ring and corrupt the ring-bearer (hard to do) or you can crush the freepeoples with your massive armies (easy to do). as a freep, you can destroy the ring and win (easy to do) or you can defeat the armies of isengard and mordor with your tiny armies (hard to do) so you can see, the game has a "built in" hard/easy mode for both sides.
Cool. Sounds really interesting. I'm itching to play :)

Cheers, folks :up:

August 27, 2010, 08:51:22 PM
Reply #6

Finrod

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 08:51:22 PM »
I've had this game for several years and it's great. The artwork and figurines are all really good, and the gameplay is far better than most games in this genre.

The base game takes forever to play, but if you want to go for something shorter, I highly recommend the expansion. It includes a smaller two sided board, where you can play the battle for Rohan and the battle for Minas Tirith. I haven't played the battle for Minas Tirith, but the battle for Rohan was great. There are new factions for Isengard to use, and more characters (Theoden, Eowyn, Eomer) for Rohan. The ents also play a more prominent role than in the base game. Overall, a very enjoyable game.

August 28, 2010, 04:09:55 PM
Reply #7

Kev-La

• Information Offline
  • Scout
    • My MySpace Space
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010, 04:09:55 PM »
I've had this game for several years and it's great. The artwork and figurines are all really good, and the gameplay is far better than most games in this genre.

The base game takes forever to play, but if you want to go for something shorter, I highly recommend the expansion. It includes a smaller two sided board, where you can play the battle for Rohan and the battle for Minas Tirith. I haven't played the battle for Minas Tirith, but the battle for Rohan was great. There are new factions for Isengard to use, and more characters (Theoden, Eowyn, Eomer) for Rohan. The ents also play a more prominent role than in the base game. Overall, a very enjoyable game.

Yeah, I've been admiring the artwork and figurines today (and counting them to make sure they're all there). I've also been looking at the Battles of the Third Age expansion, which I'm assuming is the one you describe. I wondered what it was like, and now it sounds like another must-have needs adding to my list... thanks a lot!  #-o  ;)

Suppose I ought to play the base game first - now I just need to find a really big table... :whistle:

August 29, 2010, 12:29:47 AM
Reply #8

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 12:29:47 AM »
We (my cousin and I) play it always on the ground. When it rains and we don't want to go anywhere, we just start and keep playing for several hours. You acn actually make the game relatively short, but if you wanna think of each move carefully... I don't think starting this game at 9 p.m. is a good idea, only if you wanna stay awake and do nothing else until it's really late.

Otherwise, the game is great. We played it several times, and I like nearly everything. The concept, the artwork...

September 01, 2010, 11:48:06 PM
Reply #9

Kev-La

• Information Offline
  • Scout
    • My MySpace Space
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 11:48:06 PM »
We (my cousin and I) play it always on the ground. When it rains and we don't want to go anywhere, we just start and keep playing for several hours. You acn actually make the game relatively short, but if you wanna think of each move carefully... I don't think starting this game at 9 p.m. is a good idea, only if you wanna stay awake and do nothing else until it's really late.

Otherwise, the game is great. We played it several times, and I like nearly everything. The concept, the artwork...
I'm really looking forward to playing it. The miniatures look quite good considering they're plastic, and eventually I'm hoping to find the time to paint them all up. Trouble is, I've already got so many metal miniatures at home waiting to paint... Maybe one day... :uh-huh:

I found that one of the army reinforcement markers is missing (there are 70 instead of 71). I'm assuming this should cause no great hardship - what do you think?

September 02, 2010, 02:07:25 AM
Reply #10

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 02:07:25 AM »
I even don't know if I'm missing one, there are tons of such markers...

painting them would be really nice, but as you pointed out, it would take hours over hours...

September 03, 2010, 12:04:11 AM
Reply #11

Kev-La

• Information Offline
  • Scout
    • My MySpace Space
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 12:04:11 AM »
I even don't know if I'm missing one, there are tons of such markers...
Cool.
...painting them would be really nice, but as you pointed out, it would take hours over hours...
Yeah... I might start with just the Company of the Ring, Shadow minions and maybe the nazgul.

September 03, 2010, 06:46:52 AM
Reply #12

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 06:46:52 AM »
Definitely the Nazgul first ;)

one of the few things I don't like about the game ar the pictures of Gorn, Boromir, Legolas etc. on the cards that explain their strength and so on. Otherwise, this board game is not far away from being perfect.

September 04, 2010, 02:33:02 AM
Reply #13

Kev-La

• Information Offline
  • Scout
    • My MySpace Space
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2010, 02:33:02 AM »
Definitely the Nazgul first ;)
Yeah. Nazgul. Cool. Huh-huh-huh ;)
one of the few things I don't like about the game ar the pictures of Gorn, Boromir, Legolas etc. on the cards that explain their strength and so on. Otherwise, this board game is not far away from being perfect.
Really? I haven't found any artwork so far that I didn't like. I think most if not all of it is by John Howe.