LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Gandalf, Bearer of Obligation  (Read 23795 times)

September 01, 2010, 01:10:50 PM
Read 23795 times

uncle_elrond

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
Gandalf, Bearer of Obligation
« on: September 01, 2010, 01:10:50 PM »
First, I should say that I don't play standard that often, since I don't have anything past set 15.  I'm trying to play it online so I can get a better feel for the newer cards.  I really have tried a Gandalf deck starting Bearer of Obligation and this is what I've come up with:

Gandalf, Bearer of Obligation
The One Ring, Ring of Rings
Brand, King of Dale
Huorn

Jarnsmid, Barding Emissary
Treebeard, Enraged Shepherd
Erland, Dale Counselor
Grimbeorn, Beorning Chieftan x3
Pallando, Far Travelling One x2
Gwaihir, The Windlord
Radagast's Herb Bag x2
Shadowfax, Unequaled Steed
Glamdring, Foe-Hammer x2
Beorning Axe x4
Gandalf's Staff, Ash Staff
Perspective
Watch and Wait
Moment of Respite
All Save One x2
The Flame of Anor x4
Saved from the Fire x4

Emboldened Orc x2
Rallying Orc x3
The Cave Troll of Moria, Savage Menace x3
Watchful Orc x4
Orc Strategist x2
Picket Denizen x4
Prowling Orc x4
The Cave Troll's Hammer, Unwieldy Cudgel x2
Goblin Hordes x4
Unreasonable Choice x2
Strength in Shadows x2
Unforgiving Depths x2

Sites
Abandoned Mine Shaft
Cavern Entrance
Caves of Aglarond
Heights of Isengard
Mithlond
Moria Stairway
Mount Doom
West Gate of Moria
Shores of Nen Hithoel

For the Free Peoples, don't bid.  Burdens are enough trouble as it is.  Burn Huorn to grab Grimbeorn, or Treebeard and some toys for Gandalf.  After that, Saved from the Fire is usually used only if I need something important against a shadow.  Otherwise it's a dump card for Gandalf.  Use Flame of Anor and All Save One to win skirmishes and then remove any burdens with Glamdring or Watch and Wait.  I think this side needs more work because I'm thinking of taking out Moment of Respite and Perspective, but I don't know what would be good replacements.  Probably another Watch and Wait.  Thoughts?

Shadow is pretty standard underground lurkers.  Goblin Hordes is nice because I can get back the minions I ditch with Grimbeorn.  Any ideas?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 01:15:43 PM by uncle_elrond »

September 01, 2010, 05:25:28 PM
Reply #1

TheJord

• League Director
  • Information Offline
  • King
  • High King of Rules
    • GamesCobra
Re: Gandalf, Bearer of Obligation
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 05:25:28 PM »
You have to, have to, have to, play Shadowfax, Greatest of the Mearas and run some threat removal. This is your only chance with BoO. [Gandalf] as a lone culture usually sucks so I run [Gandalf] / [Rohan] / [Shire] as it allows for burden removal from the Hobbits, and mounted support from Rohan.

A possible idea is [Gandalf] BoO/ [Gondor] Rangers. I'm still working on that one.
"The rule of Gondor is mine!"

September 02, 2010, 02:29:57 AM
Reply #2

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 02:29:57 AM »
TheJord is true about that. You know how you can defeat your Freeps easily? Don't play minions Gandalf can defeat and Watch you die. (small hope and the like can be very evil).

As for your Shadow, I don't see many chances to win here. Without Demoralized, Lurker Swarm isn't good enough, as it needs a lot of twilight.

@TheJord: what about something like this:

Gandalf, BoO
Ring of Rings
Erland, Dale Counselor (start)
Gondorian Prowler (1x start) x4
Pippin, WoBaS (start)

2x Madril, LL
2x Halbarad
4x Saved from the Fire
3x Shadowfax, GotM
3x Hearts Raised
2x NFFatRoD
2x Glamdring, Foe-Hammer
4x Ithilien Blade
4x Soldier's Cache
2x Gondorian Merchant

burn Huorn to grab Shadowfax, Saved from the Fire and Glamdring. at the next Site, burn Gondorian Prowler to get Hearts Rised and two other cards you need, depending on the situation. Ithilien Blade could be a possibility, another Hearts Rised, Madril, Halbarad, Soldier's Cache, whatever you need. WoBaS is there for early protection, as you will ad a lot of twilight with Saved from the Fire, and he's also ncie with NFFatRoD. Ask Dain ;). You could possibly add some Home and Hearth, but I don't think you need it so much.

September 02, 2010, 05:25:35 AM
Reply #3

King89

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
  • your master.
    • nine-walkers 2.0 german
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 05:25:35 AM »
forget about BoO... he is the worsed ringbearer you can ever imagene. sorry, but i saw many of them and no one of them standed long, nor are they fun to play.

September 02, 2010, 06:18:36 AM
Reply #4

legolas3333

• Information Offline
  • King
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 06:18:36 AM »
you'd be better off with powerful guide and running shadowplay/unheeded
A Promo Saved is a Promo Earned

September 02, 2010, 10:19:21 AM
Reply #5

uncle_elrond

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 10:19:21 AM »
TheJord is true about that. You know how you can defeat your Freeps easily? Don't play minions Gandalf can defeat and Watch you die. (small hope and the like can be very evil).

As for your Shadow, I don't see many chances to win here. Without Demoralized, Lurker Swarm isn't good enough, as it needs a lot of twilight.

@TheJord: what about something like this:

Gandalf, BoO
Ring of Rings
Erland, Dale Counselor (start)
Gondorian Prowler (1x start) x4
Pippin, WoBaS (start)

2x Madril, LL
2x Halbarad
4x Saved from the Fire
3x Shadowfax, GotM
3x Hearts Raised
2x NFFatRoD
2x Glamdring, Foe-Hammer
4x Ithilien Blade
4x Soldier's Cache
2x Gondorian Merchant

burn Huorn to grab Shadowfax, Saved from the Fire and Glamdring. at the next Site, burn Gondorian Prowler to get Hearts Rised and two other cards you need, depending on the situation. Ithilien Blade could be a possibility, another Hearts Rised, Madril, Halbarad, Soldier's Cache, whatever you need. WoBaS is there for early protection, as you will ad a lot of twilight with Saved from the Fire, and he's also ncie with NFFatRoD. Ask Dain ;). You could possibly add some Home and Hearth, but I don't think you need it so much.

Mainly the reason I wasn't using Shadowfax, GotM was because he can't bear both that and Glamdring.  I'm intrigued by the build you've posted here, but I'm concerned that it doesn't have enough healing.  I don't think Halbarad is enough by himself, so maybe use a couple Have Patience to replace the useless Glamdrings.  The other thing that might make it better is Brooding on Tomorrow for some condition removal.  If you're discarding a lot for Hearts Raised, it should work pretty good.  Also, maybe a Sixth Level or two to get the Caches back.  I think I'll have to try this.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 10:21:15 AM by uncle_elrond »

September 02, 2010, 10:21:54 AM
Reply #6

uncle_elrond

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 10:21:54 AM »
you'd be better off with powerful guide and running shadowplay/unheeded

I'm trying to work that combo into a different deck :)

September 03, 2010, 07:36:35 AM
Reply #7

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 07:36:35 AM »
True, I was just tossing cards together that came to my mind. I forgot about Glamdring, but GotM is just so, really, sooooo good that it's worth dropping Glamdring. And I'd rather say Gondorian Merchant and Brooding on tomorrow working well together. Sixth Level might also work, but don't forget about Madril. I'm not sure about this idea, I found it quite interesting when putting tthose parts together, but still, Bearer of Obligation is the most useless alternate RB, then comes Bilbo.

September 03, 2010, 07:59:10 AM
Reply #8

uncle_elrond

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 07:59:10 AM »
True, I was just tossing cards together that came to my mind. I forgot about Glamdring, but GotM is just so, really, sooooo good that it's worth dropping Glamdring. And I'd rather say Gondorian Merchant and Brooding on tomorrow working well together. Sixth Level might also work, but don't forget about Madril. I'm not sure about this idea, I found it quite interesting when putting tthose parts together, but still, Bearer of Obligation is the most useless alternate RB, then comes Bilbo.

Bearer of Obligation is really hard to use, but I wanted to see if he could be used effectively.  Also, my Bilbo Archery deck in Movie block is actually pretty good. 

September 03, 2010, 08:06:39 AM
Reply #9

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 08:06:39 AM »
You use the classic Consorting With Wizards Combo, right? I don't think this Deck being very competitive, as it dies to any kind of condition discard. You would most likely use any Frodo or Galdriel instead of this, would make a Archery Deck much, much better. Have you played against Gil or ket yet? Maybe when I'll have time, I can play against you on GCCG... that would be fun...  :twisted: :twisted:

September 03, 2010, 10:11:58 PM
Reply #10

uncle_elrond

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 10:11:58 PM »
You use the classic Consorting With Wizards Combo, right? I don't think this Deck being very competitive, as it dies to any kind of condition discard. You would most likely use any Frodo or Galdriel instead of this, would make a Archery Deck much, much better. Have you played against Gil or ket yet? Maybe when I'll have time, I can play against you on GCCG... that would be fun...  :twisted: :twisted:

I usually just build things for fun, not to compete, but it does fairly well.  It has very inconsistent starts, but usually can get over them.  Consorting with Wizards is in there, but it's not my main focus.  I don't think I've played gil or ket (that I know of).  Hey the more games the merrier, I need more practice with these kinds of decks.

September 06, 2010, 07:46:29 AM
Reply #11

legolas3333

• Information Offline
  • King
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 07:46:29 AM »
wouldn't king get infinitely more exciting if gondorian captain was allowed?
A Promo Saved is a Promo Earned

September 06, 2010, 11:07:34 AM
Reply #12

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2010, 11:07:34 AM »
sure. Infinite loop forever! Whoever gets first to site 3 wins, which makes the whole thing really interesting.. Resolute Hobbit to bid as much as possible, which gives corruption deck a chance... would be a nice experiment.

September 07, 2010, 12:34:02 PM
Reply #13

rubbercarp

• Information Offline
  • Villager
    • www.ccg-singles.com
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2010, 12:34:02 PM »
I have a Gandalf, BoO deck.
I don't think it's EVER won, but I still enjoy playing with all different kinds of decks so I haven't taken it apart yet.
All of my extra Lord of the Rings TCG, MECCG, SWCCG, and WoW TCG singles are available for sale on my website: http://www.ccg-singles.com

September 22, 2010, 06:25:00 PM
Reply #14

NappyKorn

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • The ShizKnight
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 06:25:00 PM »
...but still, Bearer of Obligation is the most useless alternate RB, then comes Bilbo.

Hey Bilbo isnt that bad of a RB I made quite an interesting deck with him. I can find the link to the deck list I posted here many many months ago.

Ok back to being nothing more than a patient watcher again, but needed to post something to keep from being pruned  :up:.
If a Balrog falls from a bridge and noone is around, does it make a sound?