LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Gandalf, Bearer of Obligation  (Read 23796 times)

December 08, 2010, 05:15:06 AM
Reply #30

itjunkie

• Information Offline
  • Troll
Re: Gandalf, Bearer of Obligation
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2010, 05:15:06 AM »
well, each time you move, you're going to discard 2 gandalf cards due to BoO... it won't clog, just keep one copy on the turn that you actually want to double move in

December 28, 2010, 09:53:48 PM
Reply #31

Abbott465

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2010, 09:53:48 PM »
 bit of a zombie topic here but if standard is sets 7+ then couldnt you just make a massive Ent deck and use Mellon!, the Sap is in the Bough, Orc Beater and Woodland Onod to cycle? Might be bit of an over kill with BoO ability though.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 09:58:41 PM by Abbott465 »
Never had much hope. Just a Fools Hope.

January 17, 2011, 05:49:26 AM
Reply #32

ScottieB

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2011, 05:49:26 AM »
Interesting deck Adrathan.  I'm wanting to find a way to use BoO just for fun, but don't want to get pummelled.

Without playing the deck though, I notice that the Feeps card count is only 30.  My smallest deck is 32 and it cycles wonderfully, but often gets dangerously close to running out of cards at site 8 ... (if we get that far).

With all the discarding you might have to do, it looks like you'd have to rely on Treebeard, Grimbeorn (with his axe), and Erland to get things back - all requires exerting your companions.  Radagasts Herb bag also requires an exert if you want to use it.  I don't see any way to heal your companions in there appart from stopping at sanctuaries (which negates Radagasts text), and I wouldn't have confidence you'd win every skirmish - have you found that a problem in your games?

I can see it would work ok against a ninja Gollum Deck given that you'd be discarding the minion condition support regulary, but minion archery, even if they're not throwing huge amounts out because of your condition removal would cause major issues I would think ... as would a swarm deck (oponent could target Erland and Jarsmaid early which would hurt I suspect). 

Any chance of elaborating on the play strategy?  Do you run with all your saved by fires early to set up the fellowship quick? (potentially burning your deck down to nothing reallly quick too!) or do it gradually - adding twighlight and allowing your opponent more opportunity to throw minions at you throughout the game?  You sound pretty confident of this one - so I'm genuinely curious ...

January 20, 2011, 02:54:29 PM
Reply #33

Haszor

• Information Offline
  • Villager
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2011, 02:54:29 PM »
You don't really have very strong companions.  The highest they get is strength 12 and thats Treebeard.  All you other companions are like 4 strength.  Might wanna add something to jump their strength unless you had something in mind when you made this thing.

January 21, 2011, 10:58:51 PM
Reply #34

ScottieB

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2011, 10:58:51 PM »
I've been wanting to make a BoO deck for a long time - not sure why; I guess the idea of getting one working on some level is greater than the reality of it's strength ...

With that said, I've churned it over alot, and the best I can come up with is as below:

Gandalf, Bearer of Obligation (31)
The One Ring, Ring of Rings
(starting) Brand, King of Dale
(starting) Jarnsmid, Barding Emissary

Radagast, The Brown
Treebeard, Keeper of the Watchwood
Grimbeorn, Beorning Chieftan
Pallando, Far Travelling One
Radagast's Herb Bag
Radagast's Staff
Shadowfax, Unequaled Steed
Glamdring, Foe-Hammer
Beorning Axe x2
Gandalf's Staff, Ash Staff
Watch and Wait x2
The Flame of Anor x4
Saved from the Fire x3
Travelled Leader x2
Travellers Homestead x 2
Brooding on Tomorrow
Stern Words x2
Out of the High Airs x2

This is currently untested, although I'm keen to see if it embarasses me or shows a little something.

Bid one if you think you might snatch it, or just bid zero and keep it safe.  Deck is weak with Threat control, healing and twighlight pool, but once up and running, should win most skirmishes with Grimbeorn, Treebeard and Gando with Stern words assisting.  Play the Beorning axe to grab a card of opportunity everytime Grimbeorn wins, and use the second axe as protection on Jarnsmid (Can't believe it's not unique!) - you'll be needing him for a double move sometime.

Deck is small at 31, so you should set up quickly.  As soon as you draw a saved from the fire, burn Dale, and play Radagast and his staff.  Dale is the only companion you will burn - throw away any other copies of SFtF you draw. The third card you take from SFtF depends on the situation, but Grimborn is a good choice assuming you've drawn one of Glamdring or Watch and Wait.  Deck is strong on condition discarding and burden removal - so use this to your advantage and just 'gun it!  Radagast with staff will allow card redraw on the double move (and could trigger brooding on tomorrow depending on how many cards you have in hand), while out of the high airs will clear the deck on your run. 

The idea is to move quick and not give your opponent a chance to set up.  Use Jarnmid strategically, Glamdring and Watch and wait supporting the burden removal. 

Deck should be paired with a standard Troll Swarm deck so as you run, you simultaneously stop your opponent from doing the same, which puts the pressure on.  Travelled Leader is included so that you can control some of the site path and make sure there's a couple of undergrounds on there to trigger the Goblin Hordes

Seems risky, but hopefully fun too. 

Thoughts?