LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Anyone going to play Lotr LCG  (Read 32526 times)

November 16, 2010, 12:36:08 PM
Read 32526 times

Smeagollum

Anyone going to play Lotr LCG
« on: November 16, 2010, 12:36:08 PM »
I ordered 2 base-sets.

November 16, 2010, 04:14:24 PM
Reply #1

rubbercarp

• Information Offline
  • Villager
    • www.ccg-singles.com
Re: Anyone going to play Lotr LCG
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 04:14:24 PM »
I've certainly been keeping my eye on it.
Can't wait to give it a try, I just love the products that Fantasy Flights produces.
All of my extra Lord of the Rings TCG, MECCG, SWCCG, and WoW TCG singles are available for sale on my website: http://www.ccg-singles.com

November 17, 2010, 02:33:17 AM
Reply #2

Smeagollum

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 02:33:17 AM »
Never heard of FF before. But from what I saw from the pictures I think it looks interesting. The drawings are awesome.

November 17, 2010, 07:08:23 AM
Reply #3

Jerba

• Information Offline
  • Villager
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 07:08:23 AM »
Besides the fact I will never get into a new game that requires lots of money, waht bothers me about the LCG is that its Co-Op. Players play together against the deck. There won't be much in the way of tournament action with this game, this is a plus and a minus as far as the investment goes. I'm interested to read more detailed reviews, but the co-op nature of the game bothers me at this point.

November 17, 2010, 10:15:55 AM
Reply #4

Smeagollum

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 10:15:55 AM »
Besides the fact I will never get into a new game that requires lots of money, waht bothers me about the LCG is that its Co-Op. Players play together against the deck. There won't be much in the way of tournament action with this game, this is a plus and a minus as far as the investment goes. I'm interested to read more detailed reviews, but the co-op nature of the game bothers me at this point.

Is there a need for a tournament competition? I just want to have a fun game. And to me a co-op nature makes it interesting, allthough i'm not sure if it will work out. But i'll give it a try and will let you know.

November 17, 2010, 10:43:26 AM
Reply #5

itjunkie

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 10:43:26 AM »
what exactly does LCG stand for?

..im still not done spending on lotr tcg and already, a new "vice" comes along... ouch

November 17, 2010, 10:49:07 AM
Reply #6

hrcho

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • One does not simply Rock into Mordor.
    • My trade list
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 10:49:07 AM »
Living Card Game (provided by google)

It seems ok, images are really nice and I'd have to learn more about it before I start with another obsession. ;)

I'm looking forward to the Smeagollum's review. If there is anyone here who has already experienced LCG games, please let us know how that works exactly and is it worth it.
Some days you're the statue, and some days you're the pigeon.

Trade List (TLHH)
Trade List (Mahasamatman)

November 17, 2010, 11:40:32 AM
Reply #7

ununtrium

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 11:40:32 AM »
Smeagollum, where did you order them? I am also based in Europe and would certainly try it out. Am I correct in thinking that you only need to buy 2 core set to get all the cards you ever need? In that case, it appears to be a bargain compared to LotR TCG...
I am a Lieutenant Commander on the G.A.B. Saffron team. My trade lists:
http://lotrtcgdb.com/forums/index.php/topic,3255.0.html
http://www.tradecardsonline.com/user/ununtrium

November 17, 2010, 01:41:23 PM
Reply #8

Smeagollum

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 01:41:23 PM »
I ordered them on a Dutch site: http://www.bordspelbazaar.nl/index.php?action=article&aid=4110

Though I dont know if the site is trustworthy, but will let you know when I receive the game.

November 18, 2010, 11:14:05 AM
Reply #9

Jerba

• Information Offline
  • Villager
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 11:14:05 AM »
From FFG: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_npm_sec.asp?eidm=14&esem=2

Living Card Games

Since its introduction, the LCG® (Living Card Game®) format has come to be immensely successful for FFG, and sales continue their growth rate in both domestic and international markets. Fans around the world have enjoyed augmenting their LCG® core sets with our fixed 40-card monthly packs, and have experienced the strategy of deck building without the financial strain of random card packs. But how does this innovative format work? What can you expect from a Living Card Game®?

Excellent Value

A Core Set provides everything you need for a complete and self-contained game experience, but if you choose to go beyond the Core Set, monthly expansion packs provide fresh content at an easily affordable price. These monthly releases offer enough new content to keep the game immersive and strategic, while remaining accessible and digestible to casual players.

Constantly Expanding Card Pool

Monthly expansions provide more frequent additions to your card pool, with the potential of new deck types and strategies you can explore in every release. With monthly installments, the game is continuously updated and always feels fresh.

No Rare Chasing

LCGs® have no rare or promo cards that need to be chased. This ensures that games are determined by a player's deck building skills and play strategies, rather than who spent the most money in pursuit of hard-to-find ultra rare cards. The fixed format means that every player has equal access to every card needed to build his or her deck.

Easier to find Opponents

The non-random format makes it simple to play multiple LCGs™ without breaking the bank, dramatically increasing the chance to find opponents that play the same game you do. As each Core Set provides enough for at least two players, friends can begin playing right away.

Organized Play

Organized play programs are available for all LCGs®. These programs include everything from casual year-round leagues to premiere level tournaments featuring regional, national, and world championship level events.

November 19, 2010, 08:00:00 PM
Reply #10

Kenddrick

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 08:00:00 PM »
I will play it if:

1) I find a way to buy it online.
2) Local card retailers carry it!

November 21, 2010, 05:09:56 AM
Reply #11

Rathmaker

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2010, 05:09:56 AM »
*Steps out from the corners to see what is going on with LOTR TCG these days*

As a fanatic for all things related to Middle Earth I will definately be buying the base set.  If, as it seems now from the previews and reports from Gencon demos, the game is good I will pick up the small expansions as well.

A few things stand out that interest me alot for this game:

1. Its LOTR (I guess that one was a no brainer! lol)

2. The game is cooperative.  I like the thought of that for a change of pace in card games.

3. This does not seem like it will kill my wallet.  I bought so many LOTR TCG boxes/cases to get full playsets of all the cards.  With the LOTR LCG by buying one base set I can play with another friend.  If I add a second playset I can play with up to 3 friends.  And I need not buy anything else.  And if they stick to the model they are on right now with their other LCGs (Warhammer, Call of Cthulu, and A Game of Thrones) the small expansions contain a playset of each card in them (3 copies).  It will be very easy to buy this game and play with friends.

4. Solo Play.  There are a number of times when our play group cannot get together for a period of time (work and life can suck! *grin*).  With this game I can sit down by myself for some solo entertainment.

5. The game takes place during the time between The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings.  It is an area that has not been touched as much in games before.  I am looking forward to exploring that period of time a little more.

6. The card art is BEAUTIFUL! 

Anyway, that is my two cents.  I will be investing in the LCG, and will gladly put it on the shelves next to my LOTR TCG and MECCG binders :)

~Rathmaker~

November 21, 2010, 06:05:58 AM
Reply #12

Smeagollum

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2010, 06:05:58 AM »
Maybe it might be a good idea to open a separate section for Lotr lcg on this forum?

November 21, 2010, 08:17:58 AM
Reply #13

Kenddrick

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2010, 08:17:58 AM »
Great idea Smeagollum! It keeps the site active as well! :D

November 21, 2010, 12:32:18 PM
Reply #14

Smeagollum

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2010, 12:32:18 PM »
Great idea Smeagollum! It keeps the site active as well! :D

Hey allways good on great ideas :P

Anyone else supporting this idea? It might also be a way to lurk people into lotr tcg on Gccg this way.

November 21, 2010, 12:33:33 PM
Reply #15

ununtrium

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2010, 12:33:33 PM »
I am all for it. I am also totally psyched about this game. Now, if only there was a way to order it from a shop in Germany, I would be glad.

I am a Lieutenant Commander on the G.A.B. Saffron team. My trade lists:
http://lotrtcgdb.com/forums/index.php/topic,3255.0.html
http://www.tradecardsonline.com/user/ununtrium

November 21, 2010, 01:58:12 PM
Reply #16

Smeagollum

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2010, 01:58:12 PM »
I just heard that FFG prosponed the release of lotr lcg to Januari.

November 21, 2010, 04:15:10 PM
Reply #17

Kenddrick

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2010, 04:15:10 PM »
Well not sure for you guys but a January release seems good with me. Gives me more time to gather more money! :D

November 22, 2010, 06:01:23 AM
Reply #18

Rathmaker

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2010, 06:01:23 AM »
I just heard that FFG prosponed the release of lotr lcg to Januari.

I have heard so many release speculations from game stores, suppliers, etc. over the years I do not believe any of it until it comes out of the mouth of the game designer.

Fantasy Flight has not given a release date at all, but here is a quote from them in the last preview posted on their website November 17th:

"Once you experience the Core Set later this winter, the journey will have only just begun...

Check back soon for our next preview of The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game!"

Notice it says this winter.  So with that I am going to take a guess (remember, this is only a guess) of Febuary.  FFG does seem to start really previewing their products only a few months from release.

My 2 cents,
Rathmaker

*Edit:  Oh, and yes, I am all for a set of forums for the LCG.  I am actually contacting FFG in hopes of being a volunteer demo person in my area.  This is the first card game since LOTR TCG that I am supremely looking forward to (and the first one since then that I will be spending any significant amount of money on lol).
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 06:04:04 AM by Rathmaker »

November 28, 2010, 10:40:27 AM
Reply #19

TheJord

• League Director
  • Information Offline
  • King
  • High King of Rules
    • GamesCobra
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2010, 10:40:27 AM »
We will have forums for it. I think it would be appropriate
"The rule of Gondor is mine!"

January 01, 2011, 04:50:28 AM
Reply #20

CCCORNIV

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2011, 04:50:28 AM »
  I am looking forward to the game.  I've been playing the Fantasy Flight Warhammer Invasion LCG for a few months now and I've been collecting the Game of Thrones LCG also, although I have only played a few games against myself.  

After the initial release of the core set, a new chapter pack will be released every month, containing 3 copies of 20 cards. 3 copies is the most you can have of any card in your deck.  They use to release chapter packs with 3 copies of some cards and 1 copy of others, so you would have to buy 3 copies of each chapter pack in order to have 3 copies of certain cards.  The new format works much better.  Normally 6 chapter packs make up each cycle, think of a cycle as a set from LOTR TCG, like Mines of Moria.  The first chapter pack would contain cards 1-20 of the cycle 3 copies each, second chapter pack would contain cards 21-40 and so forth.  It's easy to stay caught up and you get fresh content each month.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge minisite.asp?eidm=129&enmi=The%20Lord%20of%20the%20Rings:%20The%20Card%20Game
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 04:52:10 AM by CCCORNIV »

April 22, 2011, 07:44:57 AM
Reply #21

Mythdracon

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • You cannot pass!
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2011, 07:44:57 AM »
It's been released, and reviews are up on Boardgamegeek.com now. Anyone played the game? What do you think of the game and its complexity? Would like to hear/read reviews from a fellow Last Homely Houser. :D
A wizard is never late...nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.

April 22, 2011, 11:52:06 AM
Reply #22

rubbercarp

• Information Offline
  • Villager
    • www.ccg-singles.com
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2011, 11:52:06 AM »
My cards are on their way via FedEx!
All of my extra Lord of the Rings TCG, MECCG, SWCCG, and WoW TCG singles are available for sale on my website: http://www.ccg-singles.com

April 26, 2011, 12:41:57 AM
Reply #23

tasaklas

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2011, 12:41:57 AM »
Hey guys my first post here. Nice to see people are still into lotr tcg, its been a while since i played. Now for the lord of the rings LCG: I watched the tutorial and a friend ordered it from e bay last week. i can write a short review(with my poor english) when i play a bunch of games and see how it goes if you are interested.

May 09, 2011, 08:16:39 PM
Reply #24

Mythdracon

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • You cannot pass!
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2011, 08:16:39 PM »
The reviews on boardgamegeek are all very positive, with one prominent reviewer comparing the LCG to the TCG in terms of greatness. What do you think? I'd love to read/watch your review when you get it up. :D
A wizard is never late...nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.

May 11, 2011, 08:28:02 AM
Reply #25

rubbercarp

• Information Offline
  • Villager
    • www.ccg-singles.com
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2011, 08:28:02 AM »
I've played a few games and have enjoyed it.

May 16, 2011, 10:10:30 PM
Reply #26

HawkeyeSPF

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2011, 10:10:30 PM »
I just got a copy from a friend, and I'm already addicted.

It's definitely a great game, but very complex. Still, there are some aspects of it that flow very well.

The card art is top-notch, even if the characters don't match the actors and actresses who portrayed them in the movies. Don't order a copy online though, keep your money in your local community and buy (or order) it from your LGHS instead.

Cons: You can have up to three copies of any card in your deck, but each core set comes with only 1 or 2 copies of some of the cards - two of the best cards only have 1 copy each. Since decks have to be at least 50 cards, you're going to want at least 2 of these cards in your deck, which means buying a second (or third!?) copy. Someone on boardgamegeeks.com did the math and found that buying a second copy of the core set effectively nets you 51 usable cards (out of the 226 in the box), and a third will get you the 3rd and final copy of only 13 cards. Meanwhile, Fantasy Flight Games has stated that they will NOT be putting out a "completion pack" to get you these 64 cards in an inexpensive manner, saying that for the "hardcore tournament player", the investment amounts to less than the cost of a new booster box of MtG (for example), in which you need multiple booster boxes to complete a playset.

Okay, so the cons bit is a wall of text, but I still really enjoy the game and look forward to playing cooperatively once my wife learns how to play.

Now, do I buy a second core set......?

May 17, 2011, 02:14:38 PM
Reply #27

macheteman

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2011, 02:14:38 PM »
if you bought a second and third core set, and continued that, you could start a little website for selling singles.

May 25, 2011, 10:32:11 PM
Reply #28

Mythdracon

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • You cannot pass!
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2011, 10:32:11 PM »
Hawk, aren't online stores cheaper to buy from? I'm overseas and they don't sell LOTR LCG here, so I might have no choice but to order online.

May 26, 2011, 11:39:48 AM
Reply #29

HawkeyeSPF

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2011, 11:39:48 AM »
Yeah, but I try to support the local store when I can. That's not to say that I buy ALL my games and supplies there, hardly! I just don't want them to go out of business, so I shop there when I can afford it.

May 26, 2011, 04:50:28 PM
Reply #30

CCCORNIV

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2011, 04:50:28 PM »
I bought a core set and have gone through the rules, but I haven't sat down and played yet. I figure that I'll have to play solo a few times before I teach it to anyone. 7 Wonders and Puzzle Strike are currently dominating the gaming get togethers.

June 01, 2011, 09:22:29 AM
Reply #31

HawkeyeSPF

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2011, 09:22:29 AM »
I am TOTALLY addicted to this game - I guess I said that already, but being able to play solo against the game is just so different from anything else that's not a video game, it's really amazing.

I put together a deck a few days ago that uses Eowyn (Spirit), Dunhere (Spirit), and Gimli (Tactics) for an opening threat level of 28. I usually mulligan my opening hand unless I get one or two allies, and then on my first turn I always quest with both Eowyn and Gimli (and any ally that adds to the quest if I get one out) since I can ready Gimli by traveling to Old Forest Road.

The Spirit deck is good at keeping my threat level down, so that Dunhere can attack enemies before they engage. A couple of dwarven axes help as well, but they can be trouble to draw into sometimes. Even without them, Dunhere can take care of Hummerhorns before it comes down. I let Gimli lose a couple of times early on to get his strength up in order to beat down anything that does engage. The Tactics event card Feint often comes up HUGE.

I've only tried it on the first quest, so I don't know how it would do against the other two.

Basically I just don't waste card space on expensive junk or dead cards, and the deck ends up right around 50 cards.

I can post the decklist if anyone wants it - let me know!

June 01, 2011, 05:26:34 PM
Reply #32

Rathmaker

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2011, 05:26:34 PM »
Hi Guys!

I purchased 3 copies of the Lord of the Rings LCG core set when it first came out, and have been playing the heck out of it!  I have played it solo too many times to count, as well as numerous times with 2-3 other players.  In short I believe the game is an absolute blast!  Like Hawkeye I am totally addicted to it as well.

To me, the game captures the feel of Lord of the Rings, and traveling on a quest with a group fantastically.  I would recommend to anyone to try it out!

June 11, 2011, 09:42:55 AM
Reply #33

Mythdracon

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • You cannot pass!
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2011, 09:42:55 AM »
Do you guys prefer this time to the LOTR TCG (assuming you have all the cards you need to make the decks you want and aren't exploiting aspects of the card game)? I really really want to try out the game, but I won't have the chance for a while it looks like. Money is tight in these times and I have collegiate payments to deal with. :(

June 16, 2011, 06:42:57 AM
Reply #34

HawkeyeSPF

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2011, 06:42:57 AM »
I much prefer the LCG to the TCG, but only because I'm personally burnt out on the TCG and the LCG allows for both solo and cooperative play. When money allows, I'll be purchasing a second copy of the core set.

I participated in the Hunt for Gollum preview event in Madison WI this past Saturday and it was AWESOME. We played with 4 players and just barely beat the quest - it was THAT hard.

I don't want to spoil any of the cards, so if you're interested in that sort of thing, head over to boardgamegeek.com and peruse the forums there.

June 22, 2011, 07:51:28 AM
Reply #35

Rathmaker

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2011, 07:51:28 AM »
I have to agree that I much prefer the LCG over the TCG, but like Hawkeye I have played so many games of the TCG over the years.  I also have play sets of every card in the TCG.  The bad thing about the TCg is that it is hard to get others interested in playing anymore.  Many are burnt out, and others do not care to pick up another game...especially one that has been "dead" a few years now.

August 18, 2011, 04:05:16 PM
Reply #36

HawkeyeSPF

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2011, 04:05:16 PM »
Okay, so I've decided to forgo the second core set and just printed out proxies of the cards that are missing 2nd and/or 3rd copies.

Went to GenCon with a friend and played in the Massing at Osgiliath preview event with two other players. We had two hours to attempt it as many times as we wanted, but by the end of our time slot, we had only just managed to make it to the 2nd of 4 quest stages! VERY difficult scenario.

Unfortunately for me, my friend and I didn't arrive in Indy until 5:50pm local time and the dealer/exhibitor hall closed at 6pm, so I jumped out the car and ran to the FFG booth while my friend drove around the convention center until I had successfully found us each a copy of the new adventure pack Conflict at the Carrock. Well, it was not to be, as they brought a very limited supply and sold out on Thursday! Even worse, none of the other dealers brought any because they were under the impression (true or not, I never found out) that FFG had exercised their exclusivity right, so we were out of luck there too! Anyway, my friend ended up buying a copy off of one of the guys we played with for the Massing at Osgiliath event ($20 instead of the $14.99 + tax at the booth, so not too bad considering), and I purchased a copy from my local gaming store when I got back into town.

Long story, but it was a lot of fun, and I'm looking forward to more adventure packs.

August 27, 2011, 09:48:55 PM
Reply #37

Mythdracon

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • You cannot pass!
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2011, 09:48:55 PM »
Very nice! I played it recently, I found some of the rules confusing (i.e. procedures for the adventures), but the combat and strategy were fun. I wish I had played a multi deck, playing pure leadership meant I had lots of resources and few things to spend them on. My friend and I *barely* survived, lol, but it was exhilarating dealing bonus damage to monsters and then slamming them in fights. 8D

Wish I could play it at conferences....was GenCon expensive to go to?

August 27, 2011, 10:18:20 PM
Reply #38

HawkeyeSPF

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2011, 10:18:20 PM »
Priciest parts for me were the 4-day pass (volunteer if you know you'll have free time and get your pass for free), food & drinks (could've gone with Wendy's $1 menu but didn't), and parking (should've parked in the mall garage instead of underground).

I didn't have to worry about a hotel because I have family in the area, so I saved some money there.

August 28, 2011, 07:56:43 AM
Reply #39

Not a Zombie

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • An intelligent Corporeal, Previously sweet_stuff
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2011, 07:56:43 AM »
I picked up the core set not too long ago, it is pretty sweet. I've only played a few games with the starter decks, but I'm hoping to build some custom decks soon and try those out.
No one loves you like I do.
--God

I'm imploring people I've never met to pressure a government with better things to do to punish a man who meant no harm for something nobody even saw, thats what I'm doing!

August 28, 2011, 09:46:27 AM
Reply #40

Mythdracon

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • You cannot pass!
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2011, 09:46:27 AM »
Cool! I've never been to GenCon so I had no idea what the prices would be like, etc.

I'm planning to buy the LCG when the price drops a little. With shipping via the Internet (eBay!) it's still fairly pricey, and I'm pretty much broke (grad student, yeeaah). How many copies of the LCG did you guys buy? I know some people who want 3 copies of key cards bought 3 copies of the core set. O_o

January 19, 2012, 10:12:38 AM
Reply #41

Iron Prime

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2012, 10:12:38 AM »
Hey all.  I'm late to the party, so sorry for the necro-bump.  Just wondering if there has been any more LotR: LCG action around here?  Been thinking of picking it up: since it is co-op I have a much higher chance of sucking in my 'non-gamer' friends.  Has anyone tried to teach a wife/gf/bf/non-gamer? 

January 23, 2012, 05:21:31 PM
Reply #42

Mythdracon

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • You cannot pass!
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2012, 05:21:31 PM »
It's certainly teachable, but you have to be very mechanical when teaching it, since it can be overwhelming to game newbies when you play. A good friend of mine tried teaching it to me and I was still confused after we played it (and we're both somewhat pro-ish at learning new board and card games).

There's a new LOTR: LCG expack that came out focusing on the Dwarves of Khazad-dum. Check it out! http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/107933/the-lord-of-the-rings-the-card-game-khazad-dum Hopefully this game will have new expansions for a while. It's a good game.

If you want a co-op that's really easy to teach to non-gaming friends, try Forbidden Island. I will say it's probably a lighter game than you want, but it's still quite fun. Something more complex like Pandemic is also a possibility. :)