LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: [Chameleon] 72 Hours (OOC)  (Read 15372 times)

August 21, 2008, 04:20:34 PM
Read 15372 times

CarpeGuitarrem

• Information Offline
  • Lord
[Chameleon] 72 Hours (OOC)
« on: August 21, 2008, 04:20:34 PM »
Okay, so here's the initial playtesting run-through for Chameleon. I'll be basing it off of The Hidden, a serial story that I need to keep working at. It's based off of a near-future world with the addition of superpowers into the mix. Of course, not everyone has to have superpowers. But let me just jump into the nice narrative bits...

~~~

This is your future and your present. There are some things you may find familiar, other things that you may find strange. America still exists, and it is mostly the same as it has been for many years. Things have changed from the events that you, the people of the early 21st century, are witnessing now. You speak of the Iraq War...in this future, the Iraq War is far in the past, and remembered only as one of the many "Sand Wars" that raged in the Middle East. You speak of liberals and conservatives, Republicans and Democrats, war hawks and peace doves...in this future, the lines have been erased and redrawn too many times.

Times have changed...and yet, they are about to change again. This is the world of the Hidden.

It was September 15th. You were walking through Washington DC on important business. In fact, you were walking around the building where Senators were debating important policy matters. Maybe you were actually one of those Senators. But the point remains, you saw the flash. And in that instant, you felt the world hum around you. And the next thing you knew, you were waking up on the ground, on a small farm in Iowa. With a few other strangers.

And your last memory was of September 10th.

What happened, what is happening, and what will happen? That is up for you to discover.

~~~

So, like I said in the main Chameleon thread, I'll need the Physical/Sturdiness/Intellectual/Emotional descriptions for your character, and I do want Personality. A Background would be very helpful, including just what they were doing in Washington DC. (There's many options. You could be a businessman, a Senator, a mercenary, or someone in search of information...)

Scaling
I expect that each Attribute will probably average around 2. Ability dice will likely be at an average of d8.

Other Stuff
You'll wind up with Equipment appropriate to your job, and if it's extra-good, I may require you to take it as a Bonus, requiring you to take a flaw as well. (For example, a gun-toting mercenary with plenty of grenades would need to take that Equipment as a Bonus).

Superpowers...
If you'd like your character to develop a superpower, PM me. I don't want all the characters to develop superpowers, but a few of them would be fine. Just remember, you don't need superpowers to be awesome. Noah Bennet (Heroes) is living proof. ;)

Superpowers uncovered so far are Invisibility, Location of other people, and Superspeed. Other potential ones may include Teleportation, Slowing/Stopping Time (I'm not gonna attempt to tackle Time Travel just yet), Telekinesis, and maybe also some mental abilities such as Telepathy and Emotion Manipulation. No energy-manipulation powers or anything like that. They don't really fit into the scheme as I've written the powers out. Don't worry, whatever you send me, if it doesn't fit, I can work with you to tweak it.

If you have a power, it won't develop right away. I will randomly determine how long it takes for the power to manifest in you, so you'll be caught off-guard, potentially. Expect the ability to be erratic at first, stabilizing as you learn to control it.

~~~

Combat
This may just occur, and it can include anyone from malicious agents who are trying to apprehend all people with abilities to an inner-city gang. I'll be testing out a system that's potentially quite lethal here, so bear with me. I will be trying to ensure that not too many people get killed. ;)

You'll have what are called "Wound Points", a statistic derived from doubling your Toughness Attribute and adding 1d4 to that. You may distribute Wound Points as Light, Moderate, or Critical. At least 1 Point must go in each category.

During combat, the attacker and defender both roll. The rolls may be modified by modifiers or by the cover that the defender has.

Cover X- If your cover has a value of X, your Defense roll cannot be lower than X. If it is, reroll it.

Certain weapons may also grant the attacker an advantage.

Marksmanship X- If your marksmanship has a value of X, your Attack roll cannot be lower than X. If it is, reroll it.

If the attacker's roll is greater than the defender's (after all modifiers), the attacker does damage according to the following...

1 to 2 greater: Light Wound
2 to 4 greater: Moderate Wound
5 greater or more: Critical Wound

Once one of your wound categories is depleted, all wounds to that category are converted into wounds of the next category. For example, if you have no Moderate Wound Points, all Moderate Wounds become Critical Wounds. There are also consequences for losing an entire wound category...

No Light Wounds: You have a -1 penalty to all combat rolls.
No Moderate Wounds: You have a -1 penalty to all combat rolls, and an additional -1 to defense, unless you have cover.
No Critical Wounds: You are incapacitated (unconscious or dead).

I'll do all die rolling myself, using the die roller that lem0n recommended. Just post your actions.

~~~

One Last Notice...
I'll be trying to keep this balanced, but finding balance is one goal of this whole thing. So. Be aware that you may just get the short end of the stick on more than one occasion. I'll try to remedy that when I can, though.

August 21, 2008, 05:02:19 PM
Reply #1

sickofpalantirs

• Information Offline
  • Useful Spammer
  • one spammer to rule them all
Re: [Chameleon] 72 Hours (OOC)
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 05:02:19 PM »
modern guy....I'm not sure I fully understand but let me give it a try
Justin Cohen
 physical abilities: strength above average, speed above average, agility above average
sturdiness: nothing out of the ordinary
Intellectual: not a deep intellectual specialized in quick split second thinking, especially during a mission.
Emotional: Outspoken, likes to say what he thinks, though it sometime sets him at odds with people

background:
Ex-spec forces (army rangers) after 3 years when he would have to decide between desk job or leaving.  He wanted to continue combat so joined Blackwater and was a military contractor in the sand wars. He specialized in several different things including but not limited too: sniping, close range fighting, demolitions, and driving. (harder than it sounds)  his quick missional thinking saved his squads lives on several locations and brought attention from blackwater Execs who sent him to washington to help defend a request for Federal funding and military equipment (that work? or does it conflict with something?)

Personality: outspoken, and blunt. also cynical.
Strength: 2.5
Agility: 2
Stamina: 2
Knowledge: 1
Cleverness: 2.5
Stability: 1
Concentration:  3
he's kinda a sniper guy...so lots of concentration and cleverness...can I do half points?

add. info: uh...I still don't dfully understand what you want so throwing stuff out there...light brown hair, blue eyes, 6'1 muscular but not bulky.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 10:05:43 AM by sickofpalantirs »
Felipe Musco:
(after all, it's a CHARITY organization, I still have SOME principles, even having gone through Law School... :P),
Elf Lvr:
Bit of a scrawny Iowan kid with an unhealthy artifact obsession. Oh, and a God of Spam. In a good way.
Ahhh!!! SoP, you're a genius!!! :gp: ~Menace64
SoP's Trade List
Like Muscle Cars? Check out themusclecarplace.com

August 21, 2008, 07:40:42 PM
Reply #2

CarpeGuitarrem

• Information Offline
  • Lord
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 07:40:42 PM »
Good, that should work. I'll give some thought to just how I'm breaking up the Attributes, and wait for some more apps. If you want, you can flesh out his backstory or personality some. The more you've got, generally the easier it is to play around with.

August 21, 2008, 11:07:44 PM
Reply #3

AgentDrake

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Why me? No, seriously. WHY ME?!?
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 11:07:44 PM »
I'll have my full personality profile in ASAP, but I'm moving into the dorms tomorrow (or day after, depending on how you count it at midnight....), so it might be a little while before I have a chance to go at it. Sunday at the earliest, I expect.

For now, brief description:

Jeth (Jethro) Kenders
Physical: Strength below average, Speed above, agility average
Sturdiness: Average
Intellectual: Good critical thinking, analysis, fast thinking, et cetera, but bordering on mentally unstable (not actually unstable, just almost.) Definitely paranoid.
Emotional: External control, looks like a Vulcan. Internal control, not so good.

Strength: 1
Agility: 3
Knowledge: 2
Cleverness: 3
Concentration:  2

Background: Birthplace unknown, even to him. Has a US citizenship, which he uses more to travel than anything else. Does not consider himself a citizen of anyplace, and not meaning that he considers himself a "global citizen", but rather a Wanderer. Avoids anything potentially permanent. Or else just breaks the permanence. Fluent in several languages. Money is gathered by working illegally. He's in DC as part of his semi-random wanderings, but this time, he's looking for something he's lost. (Will explain what as part of my character development.)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 06:40:06 AM by AgentDrake »
Forget it. I'm not arguing with the computer anymore to try to get the sig I want....

August 22, 2008, 09:19:50 AM
Reply #4

CarpeGuitarrem

• Information Offline
  • Lord
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 09:19:50 AM »
Funny, on that subject...because of moving-in and such, I won't be back around probably until Monday. But keep posting, people. AD, that's good so far.

August 22, 2008, 09:57:42 AM
Reply #5

sickofpalantirs

• Information Offline
  • Useful Spammer
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 09:57:42 AM »
Good, that should work. I'll give some thought to just how I'm breaking up the Attributes, and wait for some more apps. If you want, you can flesh out his backstory or personality some. The more you've got, generally the easier it is to play around with.
just wanted to make sure what I had was fine...will flesh it out more this afternoon (depending on how busy I am)
Felipe Musco:
(after all, it's a CHARITY organization, I still have SOME principles, even having gone through Law School... :P),
Elf Lvr:
Bit of a scrawny Iowan kid with an unhealthy artifact obsession. Oh, and a God of Spam. In a good way.
SoP's Trade List

August 22, 2008, 12:55:24 PM
Reply #6

Elf_Lvr

• Information Offline
  • Lord
  • Rhythmic Ringwraith
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 12:55:24 PM »
Well, I'm definitely in. I want to see how this new system fleshes out.

I'll get rid of this post and put a character profile in when I have the time (probably later tonight).

I'm pretty excited about this.
Happy Hunting!
Remember Cobracards.com.
Thou cannot unjack what doth hath been jacked. - Menace64
"To die's the day worth livin' for!"
Maybe you guys can find a bard and have your story of heroic Balrog proximity put into verse.

August 22, 2008, 03:42:19 PM
Reply #7

sickofpalantirs

• Information Offline
  • Useful Spammer
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 03:42:19 PM »
hey I just realized something, small farm in iowa.  Gagnut and fingolfin live right next to small farm, and we are 2 miles away from them. I wonder if I could run into an older versino of me ;)
Felipe Musco:
Elf Lvr:
SoP's Trade List

August 25, 2008, 12:58:29 AM
Reply #8

CarpeGuitarrem

• Information Offline
  • Lord
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 12:58:29 AM »
Back...I'll be posting back here when I'm at a sane hour...

August 25, 2008, 06:41:57 PM
Reply #9

Elf_Lvr

• Information Offline
  • Lord
  • Rhythmic Ringwraith
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 06:41:57 PM »
Wil Haishin
Physical: Strength, average. Speed, above average. Agility, above average.
Sturdiness: Below average.
Intellectual: Very smart as well as street-savvy. Solves minor, survival-type problems rationally, for others his thinking leaves a lot to be desired (for example, his solution to solve world hunger would be to kill everyone until there were few enough people).
Emotional: Quiet and withdrawn at most times. He believes people are basically evil. He is very "religious" and wants to rid the world of evil in the simplest way possible - you guessed it, killing  stuff.

Background: Orphaned in Japan (though he's not Japanese) and raised by monks in a somewhat questionable monastery. He was taught a few forms of martial arts, as well as marksmanship and swordplay. He was taken on as a political assassin, hence his reason for being in DC that fateful day.

He dislikes sniper rifles and heavy-duty artillery, he prefers handguns. Though, given the choice, his pet weapon is a katana.
Happy Hunting!
Remember Cobracards.com.
Maybe you guys can find a bard and have your story of heroic Balrog proximity put into verse.

August 26, 2008, 10:31:03 PM
Reply #10

CarpeGuitarrem

• Information Offline
  • Lord
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 10:31:03 PM »
Okay, just to have something down, here's how I'm seeing the Attributes breaking down.

Physical: Strength, Agility
Sturdiness: Stamina
Intellectual: Knowledge, Cleverness
Emotional: Stability, Concentration

Just my initial thoughts. Any ideas on that? It looks like an average person would have 14 stat points, and if it were to be upped to, say, 16, that should balance. I'll get points to people. Let me know if it's too many stats. (Which it very well might be)

August 27, 2008, 01:09:50 PM
Reply #11

sickofpalantirs

• Information Offline
  • Useful Spammer
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 01:09:50 PM »
so would you eb figuring out from what we typed what they are? or should we assign them based on what we typed?

just in case
Strength: 3
Agility: 2
Knowledge: 1
Cleverness: 3
Concentration:  2

something like that perhaps?
Felipe Musco:
Elf Lvr:
SoP's Trade List

August 27, 2008, 10:19:56 PM
Reply #12

CarpeGuitarrem

• Information Offline
  • Lord
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 10:19:56 PM »
Yes, something like that. You can make your own point spreads, I'll work with you all on that. I'll probably be able to just minorly tweak based on that. 14 points should be good. I like that spread.

August 28, 2008, 06:40:21 AM
Reply #13

AgentDrake

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2008, 06:40:21 AM »
(Edited stats into my original post.)
Forget it. I'm not arguing with the computer anymore to try to get the sig I want....

August 28, 2008, 12:40:10 PM
Reply #14

Elf_Lvr

• Information Offline
  • Lord
  • Rhythmic Ringwraith
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2008, 12:40:10 PM »
Strength:2
Agility:3
Stamina:1
Knowledge:2
Cleverness:2
Stability:1
Concentration:3
Happy Hunting!
Remember Cobracards.com.

September 01, 2008, 10:15:23 PM
Reply #15

CarpeGuitarrem

• Information Offline
  • Lord
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2008, 10:15:23 PM »
Quick update, I was away over the weekend, but I've got this down. It all looks good so far.

September 03, 2008, 10:55:25 AM
Reply #16

sickofpalantirs

• Information Offline
  • Useful Spammer
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2008, 10:55:25 AM »
ok should we start it just to see how it works? and where is dain and FM?
Felipe Musco:
Elf Lvr:
SoP's Trade List

September 03, 2008, 02:57:22 PM
Reply #17

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2008, 02:57:22 PM »
What do you mean where am I?

September 03, 2008, 03:13:07 PM
Reply #18

Elf_Lvr

• Information Offline
  • Lord
  • Rhythmic Ringwraith
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2008, 03:13:07 PM »
He means THOU HATH BEEN CALLED!

Join the RPG, Felipe... join it.....
Happy Hunting!
Remember Cobracards.com.

September 04, 2008, 09:06:52 AM
Reply #19

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2008, 09:06:52 AM »
Sorry, no possible way. Haven't got the time to play it properly, and I'd rather not play than play poorly.

September 04, 2008, 10:18:21 AM
Reply #20

sickofpalantirs

• Information Offline
  • Useful Spammer
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2008, 10:18:21 AM »
I'd rather your play poorly ;)
Felipe Musco:
Elf Lvr:
SoP's Trade List

September 05, 2008, 06:39:01 AM
Reply #21

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2008, 06:39:01 AM »
I'm flattered, but I'll really have to pass. Perhaps I can join afterwards.

September 05, 2008, 09:40:28 AM
Reply #22

CarpeGuitarrem

• Information Offline
  • Lord
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2008, 09:40:28 AM »
*gack*...okay, sorry, I'll be getting to this later tonight. Until then, think about one potential flaw and bonus your character might have, as well as a primary skill that they would have acquired during their training.

September 08, 2008, 01:48:16 PM
Reply #23

AgentDrake

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2008, 01:48:16 PM »
You want that we should post that, or PM you?

September 09, 2008, 10:06:20 PM
Reply #24

CarpeGuitarrem

• Information Offline
  • Lord
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2008, 10:06:20 PM »
I want that you should post it, I'd say. Shiny?