LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: My new MtG set (no name yet)  (Read 7066 times)

February 17, 2011, 12:40:28 PM
Read 7066 times

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
My new MtG set (no name yet)
« on: February 17, 2011, 12:40:28 PM »
Well, this is me again, with some brand new cards for a new set! I'm not really sure how it will be named or so, but I already figured out that Beasts, Aviors, Humans and Goblins will come back. There are also some new dragon legends and cards that resolve around dragons. An issue will be, that I can only attach 4 files to each post... could some mod change that, please?

Click here to view the entire set of cards I made until now.

February 17, 2011, 02:18:15 PM
Reply #1

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
Re: My new MtG set (no name yet)
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 02:18:15 PM »
I think you should probably also post the text, because then I could see what I was reviewing while in the same tab I am replying.

The cycle of sorceries seem fair enough. First something I noticed about the (W) one: I'm not sure why this is untapped. Wouldn't it normally be white's style to punish people who attacked you?

Now my thoughts about the cycle:
• 5 triple colour sorceries would be very difficult to work in limited. If you're not worrying about that, then fair enough.
• I'm not sure I get the flavour of "abandoned"
• I think you can afford to be much looser in both the cards' CMCs and Flashback costs. They don't all have to be the same, and in fact I think I would prefer them not to be. Allows you to put effects at different power level.

Angel's Blessings is again very colour intensive. Your set would have to have a way of dealing with this in limited. I would think it fine at [2](U)(W).

Careful Consideration is already a card from Time Spiral, if memory serves. I like it though. But it should probably be more expensive.

I'm leaning for Unholy Summoning to be a Sorcery, but otherwise love it.

Thran
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 02:20:45 PM by Thranduil »

February 18, 2011, 03:47:22 AM
Reply #2

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 03:47:22 AM »
I think you should probably also post the text, because then I could see what I was reviewing while in the same tab I am replying.

ok, I'll try. The problem is, that I have those cards only as pictures, and it's much easier for me to just upload them, but well, I haven't thought of the problem tha tcould result of that.

The cycle of sorceries seem fair enough. First something I noticed about the (W) one: I'm not sure why this is untapped. Wouldn't it normally be white's style to punish people who attacked you?

Now my thoughts about the cycle:
• 5 triple colour sorceries would be very difficult to work in limited. If you're not worrying about that, then fair enough.
• I'm not sure I get the flavour of "abandoned"
• I think you can afford to be much looser in both the cards' CMCs and Flashback costs. They don't all have to be the same, and in fact I think I would prefer them not to be. Allows you to put effects at different power level.

As for the white circle, I think that this kinda removal is really what seems "White" to me, but white was missing in that form. As a result of playtesting, I found that untapped makes this card way more balanced.

And no, I'm not really worrying about limited.

Abandoned... my first thoughts were that those are spells that were not used, thus "abandoned", but they reward you for using them... even if this sounds kinda weird and unlogical, these were my thoughts on this.

I already made more FLashback cards, and I really wanted to keep the cycle as whole, so I was adjusting the power level of the card to the mana cost. And when we're on it, I've playtested those cards in a mono-colored Deck and they were really fine with this cost. The green one may be a niche card, but in the right Deck, it's fine. Especially the Flashback has to be so expensive, otherwise, it would be easy to abuse those cards. Like this, they are expensive, but really useful though and give create card advantage (besides the Green one, again).

Angel's Blessings is again very colour intensive. Your set would have to have a way of dealing with this in limited. I would think it fine at [2](U)(W).

Angel's Blessing is insane. Against any aggro Deck, drawing four cards at instant Speed and preventing four damage is really worth the cost. Like this, the card is only playable in Decks with a really stable Mana Base, but there, it just beats aggro and Midrange Decks by it's own. I'm stil not sure if the card isn't too powerful...

Careful Consideration is already a card from Time Spiral, if memory serves. I like it though. But it should probably be more expensive.

Crap, I already thought that this name was used before... do you have any suggestions for that card?

As for the cost, compair it to Preordain. It's really not that much better besides the upgrade to instant speed. Might be an Uncommon, though.

I'm leaning for Unholy Summoning to be a Sorcery, but otherwise love it.

Thran

I was thinking of "Makeshif Mannequinesque"-card, and loosing half pf your life total can be really damaging, so I thought the Instant speed makes it a bit more playable. Just compair it to Reanimate. ;) I also looked it kinda up from Death Wish.

February 21, 2011, 06:06:01 AM
Reply #3

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 06:06:01 AM »
My thoughts:

•Don't really like the titles, I'm not getting the flavor through them;
•Did you leave blue out of the cycle on purpose?
•Sure, the black one does not affect you, but most of the time, Smallpox is just plain better, and easier to cast. I'd change the flashback cost to "sacrifice a creature" if to leave as is;
•The white one plain sucks at this cost. It could easily cost (W) with (W)(W)(W) as a Flashback cost and STILL see no play at all, since it basically only gets a creature when it's first cast, unless it has Vigilance;
•The red one should read "divided as you choose". Also, with such a steep flashback and casting cost, and being a sorcery, I can't see anyone playing it over Flame Javelin. I'd try it as a better Pyroclasm (3 damage to each creature) and maybe let you kick for (R) to affect players, and put the Flashback cost at [1](R)(R)(R), perhaps, or no Flashback cost at all.
•The green one could probably cost (G)(G) and still not be that great, so I'm thinking a (G)(G) flashback cost might be in order as well, or MAYBE [1](G)(G).

February 28, 2011, 09:16:14 AM
Reply #4

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 09:16:14 AM »
I can't see the other cards, btw, the site is blocked due to work policy, which is when I can check them.