LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: The Edge- A DC Set  (Read 18006 times)

September 03, 2008, 09:52:58 AM
Reply #15

SomeRandomDude

• Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Most Likely To Usurp Kralik and Dáin
    • My Wordpress
Re: The Edge- A DC Set
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2008, 09:52:58 AM »
Should I drop their mana all 1?

And I was looking at kinda a Hollowborn Bargheest style deck for Black. :twisted:
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 09:56:17 AM by NBarden »
NB- 4 year veteran of CC/TLHH

"It was like:
Kralik: "What hath God wrought"
NB: "I dunno, but I'm in ur house eating ur food.""
-Elessar's Socks

Trade List- ft. Aragorn, Defender of Rohan

September 03, 2008, 10:03:14 AM
Reply #16

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2008, 10:03:14 AM »
4-mana 4/4s? Still not awesome. You see, let me give you some recent stuff to compare:

Black:
Grinning Demon (or Grinding Demon, not sure): 4-mana 6/6, not legendary.
Carnophage: 2-mana 3/3, not legendary.
Hypnotic Specter: 3-mana 2/2 flier, not legendary AND keeps discarding their stuff.

Blue:
Aeon Chronicler: minimum 5-mana guy that nets you a card and is usually huge, not legendary.
Overbeing of Myth: 5-mana guy that nets you cards and is usually huge, not legendary.
Teferi: 5-mana guy with flash, a large body and a backbreaking ability, legendary.

You see where I'm going. For the sake of having a cycle, I'd go for 4-mana legendary 6/6s.

September 03, 2008, 10:12:30 AM
Reply #17

SomeRandomDude

• Information Offline
  • Maia
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2008, 10:12:30 AM »
Yup. Oh, and the other three cards are from the set, kinda a sampling of their roles on The Edge.

Still looking for a cool white-ish ability. Maybe each creature has lifelink? :twisted:
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 10:14:12 AM by NBarden »

"It was like:
-Elessar's Socks

September 03, 2008, 11:26:50 AM
Reply #18

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2008, 11:26:50 AM »
THAT would be cool. It could also give them all vigilance, in case giving lifelink is too overpowered. It could work as Ajani's second ability, perhaps? +1/+1 and Vigilance? That's very white-ish.

September 03, 2008, 01:57:41 PM
Reply #19

SomeRandomDude

• Information Offline
  • Maia
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2008, 01:57:41 PM »
Ok, there it is. Death to black decks, bwahaha. And blue. Finally, a card that restricts those two.

Maybe...hm...all damage is dealt as though its source has lifelink. So that Red burn spells would also gain life, as would Sunlance, etc.

I can see this card making 4 copies of every white sideboard, if not maindecked.

Any reviews of the other cards?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 01:59:43 PM by NBarden »

"It was like:
-Elessar's Socks

September 03, 2008, 02:50:07 PM
Reply #20

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2008, 02:50:07 PM »
There's a typo on the white card. Also, I think the black one may be too powerful as it is. Not sure where you could go with it, perhaps each player discards a random card from their hand at the end of their turn? Or even better, at the start of their upkeep, so they don't know yet what they'll draw!

Examples of some of the themes for each color...I'll update as I think of them.

Mana Reaction (G)(G)
Enchantment
Each time an opponent is damaged by mana burn, add a counter here.
X: Remove X counters from here, Mana Reaction deals X damage to target player and target creature that player controls.

It should read "each time an opponent manaburns...". Other than that, well, it sucks. Seriously, check Helix Pinnacle, and THAT sucks too, but is otherwise doable in a dedicated deck. This one is simply... well, I can see this doing MAYBE 1-2 damage in a given game. That's a lot of investment for this effect. I don't think manaburn is an area worth investing this much thought, perhaps you could make a 1-mana red enchantment that read: "If a player manaburns, sacrifice this to have it deal 5 damage to that player". This would be possible to play, would be true to red's chaotic nature (YOU could be the one to manaburn) and would be cool as #$&*@!, although it STILL would suck. But it's a possibility of exploring the design space

Shadow Reaper 1(B)(B)
Creature- Elemental
2/1
Vengeance- Each time a black creature is placed in the graveyard from play, add a vengeace counter to Shadow Reaper. Whenever Shadow Reaper deals combat damage to a player, remove all vengeance counters from it. That player discards a card from hand for each counter removed this way.

Hypnotic specter is better, I think you could give Fear to it. Or lower the cost to (B)(B) and making it a 2/2. I would probably go for making it a (B)(B) 2/1 creature with Fear, but this might prove to be too much, depends on how abusable is the ability to sacrifice creatures.

Devastating Reprisals 2(R)(R)
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant red creature.
Enchanted creature has "Vengeance- Whenever a red creature is placed in the graveyard from play, add a vengeance counter to this creature. Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, remove all vengeance counters from it. Each player sacrifices a land for each counter removed this way.
X, (T): Remove X vengeance counters from this creature. Place target red creature in your graveyard with converted mana cost X on top of your library."

Costs WAY too much for its effect to matter. Land destruction is only good if you can keep up with it early enough, or if you can wipe the board clean of creatures easily (usually on your opponent's side only, of course). And I didn't like the second effect one bit on a red card. I also think it could be a creature instead of an aura.

As a general thought, I've been thinking about vengeance, and I think the creature should come into play with X vengeance counters where X is the number of creatures of that color in it's controller's graveyard, instead of counting on other creatures biting the dust while it's in play. I think it would end up playing better, and making more sense.
For instance, let's take the red card above. Say you're playing an aggressive red deck, and your opponent Wraths. He killed 5 of your creatures, and the board is empty, you're both at 4 lands. You tap your lands, pay 4 and play the red card (now a creature), and it's a 3/3 (or 4/4) with haste. It comes into play, smashes, blows up every land, and that's it, the board is now REALLY empty, but you've got a 3/3 (or 4/4) beater to boot. How cool does THIS sound?

September 03, 2008, 03:18:52 PM
Reply #21

Elf_Lvr

• Information Offline
  • Lord
  • Rhythmic Ringwraith
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2008, 03:18:52 PM »
Yeah, but I could totally see some self-milling engine used to abuse some Vengeance card for an instant win. I don't know what that card would be yet (obviously he has to make it) but if you change it that way you'd have to seriously dumb down some of the abilities.
Happy Hunting!
Remember Cobracards.com.
Thou cannot unjack what doth hath been jacked. - Menace64
"To die's the day worth livin' for!"
Maybe you guys can find a bard and have your story of heroic Balrog proximity put into verse.

September 03, 2008, 04:16:46 PM
Reply #22

SomeRandomDude

• Information Offline
  • Maia
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2008, 04:16:46 PM »
Mana Reaction is going to work on another tricky strategy that makes the green culture turn into a massive battle of the wits. Green's new ability is overloading your opponent's mana pool to force him to eat mana burn, with a creature coming up that freezes spells with X in their mana costs (think Gaddock Teeg's second ability).

Shadow Reaper I'm giving fear. Devastating Reprisals...hm...

But yeah. I've seen 200 card decks that tutor traumatize to do BAD things with retrace. The last thing we want is something like that for Vengeance.

"It was like:
-Elessar's Socks

September 03, 2008, 05:13:40 PM
Reply #23

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2008, 05:13:40 PM »
But that would be wicked AWESOME! Also, Vengeance depends on CREATURES to trigger, so hey, you gotta have a deck chocked full of creatures to get a huge use of Vengeance this way, PLUS spells for self-milling (which I think there SHOULD be, yes, to ENCOURAGE the strategy). Add in some utility spells, and that's not a very... "solid" deck, it's more of a combo deck. For instance, sure, you could do a fast red deck to blow up his lands and have a beater. But then, what if he floats mana and chucks a Terror at it? If he's a control deck, he's bound to draw more lands than you and recover faster, so you just gave CONTROL what it needs the most, which is tempo. I think it wouldn't be much of a problem.

September 03, 2008, 05:43:16 PM
Reply #24

Elf_Lvr

• Information Offline
  • Lord
  • Rhythmic Ringwraith
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2008, 05:43:16 PM »
I guess it really all depends on the abilities of the cards themselves. The creatures with vengeance would probably have to be grossly overcosted for their stats, and such. But I suppose it could work... and indeed it would be cool to see a self-milling theme...

Perhaps like this:

Double-Edged Sword (R)
Sorcery
Send the top 3 cards of your library to your graveyard. Deal 3 damage to target creature or player.

Necrotic Collossus 1(B)(B)
Creature - Zombie
When Necrotic Collossus comes into play, search your library for a creature card and put it in your graveyard.
5/5

Or something. I'm liking this a lot.

Sorry for spamming your thread with DC's, NBarden. By the way, I'd still like to know how I can do the second set of this block - I need some of your thoughts/plans.
Happy Hunting!
Remember Cobracards.com.
Thou cannot unjack what doth hath been jacked. - Menace64
"To die's the day worth livin' for!"
Maybe you guys can find a bard and have your story of heroic Balrog proximity put into verse.

September 04, 2008, 05:45:55 AM
Reply #25

SomeRandomDude

• Information Offline
  • Maia
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2008, 05:45:55 AM »
Well...the themes of the set are the following.

Green- Force your opponent to manaburn. Big dudes as well.
Red- Land destroying, typical damage.
Blue- Turn opponent's creatures against them.
White- Still working on that. Ideas?
Black- Playing with both hands empty.

"It was like:
-Elessar's Socks

September 09, 2008, 09:41:38 PM
Reply #26

SomeRandomDude

• Information Offline
  • Maia
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2008, 09:41:38 PM »
Updated the theme-setters with Mastermind of Chaos! Check it out!

"It was like:
-Elessar's Socks

September 10, 2008, 08:12:18 AM
Reply #27

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2008, 08:12:18 AM »
It should either read "when you play ___, until end of turn...", "when ___ comes into play, until end of turn___" or simply lose the "until end of turn" part.

December 16, 2008, 07:28:28 AM
Reply #28

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2008, 07:28:28 AM »
So... News on this?

December 16, 2008, 09:18:44 AM
Reply #29

SomeRandomDude

• Information Offline
  • Maia
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2008, 09:18:44 AM »
College. CLEP tests. Mom who thinks I'm a lazy bum.

Will finish...eventually...

"It was like:
-Elessar's Socks