LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Phylactery Lich combo  (Read 9141 times)

July 27, 2011, 03:49:57 PM
Read 9141 times

Gate Troll

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
Phylactery Lich combo
« on: July 27, 2011, 03:49:57 PM »
The combo: Phylactery Lich + Darksteel Relic + Worldslayer
I'm trying t
x4 Phylactery Lich
x4 Darksteel Relic
x4 Worldslayer
x4 Ornithopter
x4 Memnite
x4 Cancel
x4 Counterspell
x4 Diabolic Tutor
x4 Doom Blade

x4 Drowned Catacombs
x4 Jwar Isle Refuge
x2 Halimar Depths
x6 Swamp
x4 Island

Thats all I have so far. Any advice?

July 28, 2011, 06:16:59 AM
Reply #1

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
Re: Phylactery Lich combo
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 06:16:59 AM »
I'll give a general one before going in-depth. WHat are you trying to accomplish, exactly? I know it seems obvious reading the cards, but let me rephrase it: is the combo "cute" or is it good?: Do you need it to win? Will you almost always win if you manage to set it up? Will you die too many times trying to set it up? Is it hard to stop setting up, and even harder once it gets going?
I ask this because when we first start playing MtG, we love us some combos, but after a while, you notice that most combos are cute, not necessary or good.
So, explain to me how you'll play out the games with this deck. What accomplishes what part, and how do you proceed to win once you set up your combo.

July 28, 2011, 07:59:29 AM
Reply #2

SomeRandomDude

• Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Most Likely To Usurp Kralik and Dáin
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 07:59:29 AM »
I'm pretty sure if the combo gets set up, you win. One swing with Lich, and the board is wiped, except for indestructibles (like Worldslayer, which should have the counter on it), and then keep swinging until you win. Of course, if your opponent has 1 drop Worldslayer removal, you're hosed, but only then.

Seems like a turn 7-8 win...maybe you should run acceleration instead of the Ornithopters and Memnites, because you're not going to have enough to survive aggro decks or an easy turn 5 counterspell on your Worldslayer, especially in a format with FoW and stuff.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 08:01:45 AM by SomeRandomDude »
NB- 4 year veteran of CC/TLHH

"It was like:
Kralik: "What hath God wrought"
NB: "I dunno, but I'm in ur house eating ur food.""
-Elessar's Socks

Trade List- ft. Aragorn, Defender of Rohan

July 28, 2011, 10:28:49 AM
Reply #3

Gate Troll

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 10:28:49 AM »
I'll give a general one before going in-depth. WHat are you trying to accomplish, exactly? I know it seems obvious reading the cards, but let me rephrase it: is the combo "cute" or is it good?: Do you need it to win? Will you almost always win if you manage to set it up? Will you die too many times trying to set it up? Is it hard to stop setting up, and even harder once it gets going?
I ask this because when we first start playing MtG, we love us some combos, but after a while, you notice that most combos are cute, not necessary or good.
So, explain to me how you'll play out the games with this deck. What accomplishes what part, and how do you proceed to win once you set up your combo.

Thats what I'm trying to work out. NBarden basically hit the nail on the head. Worldslayer is a reset, and assuming you only have one Lich out, and your opponent is at full health, they have exactly 4 turns to rebuild. Memnites and the Ornithopters are blockers, and the (U) splash is for protecting Worldslayer. The Diabolic Tutors obvious assist in putting the combo together, and Doom Blade should be obvious. The broken thing about the Lich is that he only needs to spot one Phylactery token, and as long as there's one token on a Darksteel Relic, all Lichs are unstoppable. The only card that I can think of that could stop Lich would be Mind Control. 

I started out wanting to abuse Phylactery Lich to his full potential, because a 5/5 indestructible creature for (B)(B)(B) with some imagination is amazing; but this evolved into taking advantage of Worldslayer.

I want to run 40 spells and 20 lands, but I'm not sure how to flesh the deck out. That's where I need some advice.

July 28, 2011, 11:24:41 AM
Reply #4

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 11:24:41 AM »
Well, first off, you need better mana. You have 10 lands that produce (B), so that translates in roughly 1 in each 6 cards being one of those. Now, you need 3 of them, which means you have to go through 18 cards of your deck, which translates into drawing 11 without mulligans, and that is a pretty high number of draws for a deck that draws 1 a turn. I'd advise Sunken Ruins, which are fairly easy to get cheap, and of course Watery Grave, Secluded Glen, Salt Marsh, Underground River, which are all relatively cheap and will do the trick (some better than others). I'd drop blockers, you're a combo deck, which means life is a resource for you to use in pursuit of the combo, and I'd definitely play more lands, 20 lands is a severely small number. I'd probably run tempo cards, meaning, cheap cards that forward your strategy while slowing the opponent, like Duress, Force Spike and, most importantly, Gigadrowse (which allows you to combo for free). I'd also consider Dimir Signet for ramping up on the mana, since 5 is a pretty prohibitive cost when you still have to equip and swing. Darksteel Citadel is worth looking at, btw. Then, you need counterspell to protect your hand (and I'd add in Brainstorm, since it allows you to dodge discard by placing combo pieces on top of your library in response) and removal to get rid of problematic permanents.