LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: When did you start playing LotR TCG?  (Read 17613 times)

August 04, 2011, 12:10:59 AM
Reply #15

Kenddrick

Re: When did you start playing LotR TCG?
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2011, 12:10:59 AM »
Realms of the Elf-lords Summer 2002. I remember first getting my Boromir starter deck and feeling awed by them. Then I forgot about them till June/July 2009.

August 05, 2011, 03:48:18 AM
Reply #16

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2011, 03:48:18 AM »

... most of me is nothing anybody could have imagined.

/soapbox

There is so much I can imagine, so here we go:
- you found out you are a wizard?
- you have a pig's heart?
- you have metal body parts?
- you have been obducted by aliens and have learned the true secrets of the universe?
- you have a third nipple that opens the door to the secret land of Narnia?
- other.....
..."Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill"...

August 07, 2011, 03:17:49 AM
Reply #17

Anautikus

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Life isn't a dress rehearsal.
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2011, 03:17:49 AM »
BoHD! Awkward time start hahah. Got pulled into it, then started working my way into the game backwards. Good times...
"Do yourself a favor; never try to send a grappling hook through the post office."

Trade List

August 07, 2011, 04:06:43 AM
Reply #18

Sabrien Reed

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
    • Gondorian.com
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2011, 04:06:43 AM »
FOTR.  Collected all through Movie Block.  Got a few of the new ones, but transitioned to playing online, where I collected until the end.  (My digital set was vaporized when they turned off the servers though.)  So glad I found GCCG - hope to get some more games in the future.

August 10, 2011, 11:11:29 PM
Reply #19

Finisterle

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2011, 11:11:29 PM »
For me it was: "another expensive card game" and "people who haven't read the books competing with numbers printed on cards" at first.
But when Mines of Moria came out I couldn't resist anymore. The game simply looked to good in all aspects not to want to play it and collect it.

August 15, 2011, 03:07:43 PM
Reply #20

Narij

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2011, 03:07:43 PM »
Started in December, so a few months after FOTR was released.  I remember going on line and seeing the post about The Balrog and wondering "How is my fellowship going to survive site 5!"
"Accounting is more of an art then a science."

August 15, 2011, 03:52:26 PM
Reply #21

Air Power

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2011, 03:52:26 PM »
I started playing before Fellowship was released.

Yes, before.  Decipher released PDFs of the Fellowship starters a month or so before the initial release.  You could print the pdf, cut out the cards, and stick them in sleeves to play.
"If the world becomes pagan and perishes, the last man left alive would do well to quote the Iliad and die." -G.K. Chesterton, The Everlasting Man

August 15, 2011, 09:06:40 PM
Reply #22

Tbiesty

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2011, 09:06:40 PM »
I started playing before Fellowship was released.

Yes, before.  Decipher released PDFs of the Fellowship starters a month or so before the initial release.  You could print the pdf, cut out the cards, and stick them in sleeves to play.

Yep! I remember those. That's how my friends and I first played as well.

September 02, 2011, 12:56:00 AM
Reply #23

CoS

• Information Offline
  • Villager
  • Battletech, Overpower, and LOTR TCG- all dead :(
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2011, 12:56:00 AM »
The Balrog promo got me! I saw that and said I have got to play this game. Competed in Locals during law school  then Worlds at Deciphercon 2002. Vegas 2003. Origins 2004. Silver Bullet online (CoS as screen name same as GCCG). Beating the World Champ (Brochu) in Vegas round 2 with Vida Moria cavern enterance was probably the highlight of my TCG career. (Better than winning the Sword Tournament for Andruel at DPC Chicago and besting a field of high level competitors Brian Fried, Clint Hays, Brad Eire, etc.). Best "theme" ccg  I have ever played. Still teaching it to folks.

September 02, 2011, 11:16:15 AM
Reply #24

NappyKorn

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • The ShizKnight
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2011, 11:16:15 AM »
TBH, I'm not really sure I know it was sometime after MD though. My cousin came home from college and told me I needed to give up SWCCG because it was dead, LOL. He gave me a moria swarm deck and taught me the rules and it was a blast. I guess starting after MD was released is why I was so addicted to the OPness that is now expanded. After finding out about GccG I have a few respect for movie block and Im finally starting to like FotR block. Hopefully with a little time I will try my hand at TTT and perhaps TS in the future :up:.

Didn't vote cause I'm really not sure when I actually started cause I was lost in the game after my first play.

NK
If a Balrog falls from a bridge and noone is around, does it make a sound?

September 02, 2011, 12:30:35 PM
Reply #25

macheteman

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2011, 12:30:35 PM »
Nappy, TS is a blast, but there aren't as many crazy combos to break. ;-)

September 04, 2011, 12:02:19 PM
Reply #26

Disco Stu

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2011, 12:02:19 PM »
i started playing multi-player (5 players) in 2001. i started collecting and building decks, when the Euro was released. it was the first thing i bought with this new shining money.

September 21, 2011, 04:28:09 PM
Reply #27

altrico

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2011, 04:28:09 PM »
Oh #$&*@!, I clicked the wrong one, I actually started with Mines of Moria when it came out. I lived in Bolivia back then and it was really hard to start a Community of Lotr-TCG over there ;)
Now im back in Germany and havent played in years, but when I moved I found my old cards and Im so eager to play again! With a bit of google Search I found this Site, but it was the only one and I guess noone of you lives near enough to play? ^^
Such a shame, I had such a amazing time with the game back in the days, and my Set rocked! *g

September 21, 2011, 04:41:16 PM
Reply #28

hsiale

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2011, 04:41:16 PM »
I guess noone of you lives near enough to play?
With small player base left I guess online play is what's left for most of us.

I started playing between EoF and RotK sets, I remember my first deck was based on Faramir starter from EoF. I played in Wroc?aw in Poland, there was a really good group of players there at that time, not very big but really competitive, I learned a lot from them. I stopped playing more or less when Hunters came out, then found GCCG and started again some two weeks ago - now I'm slowly getting used back to the game, but I still make many mistakes, I guess I'd need at least two months of regular playing before I'm back at least at semi-competitive level :)

September 22, 2011, 01:48:01 AM
Reply #29

altrico

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2011, 01:48:01 AM »
I guess noone of you lives near enough to play?
With small player base left I guess online play is what's left for most of us.

how this online version work?
i only played the first three editions though, because I was only a teenager and did not have the money to spend so much money over and over again =/