LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: What kind of Magic player are you?  (Read 5544 times)

August 23, 2011, 08:00:47 PM
Read 5544 times

TheJord

• League Director
  • Information Offline
  • King
  • High King of Rules
    • GamesCobra
What kind of Magic player are you?
« on: August 23, 2011, 08:00:47 PM »
I have been asking myself this question, and as I look through the new decks I have built and my favourite old ones, it seems I am a creature spammer. I love having lots of creatures out to wreck face with.

What kind of player are you?
"The rule of Gondor is mine!"

August 23, 2011, 09:19:27 PM
Reply #1

Air Power

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
Re: What kind of Magic player are you?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 09:19:27 PM »
recovering combo addict.  Picked up some Ravnica and making decks based on the guilds now
"If the world becomes pagan and perishes, the last man left alive would do well to quote the Iliad and die." -G.K. Chesterton, The Everlasting Man

August 23, 2011, 10:22:33 PM
Reply #2

Kenddrick

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 10:22:33 PM »
I have an inclination towards all the red stuff in Magic! It all started many years ago with Vulshok War Boar and  Shrapnel Blast!

August 24, 2011, 06:55:03 AM
Reply #3

Ringbearer

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 06:55:03 AM »
I like combos....

and I like to win :)

August 24, 2011, 09:31:36 AM
Reply #4

Elessar's Socks

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • "I see...I look foul and feel foul. Is that it?"
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 09:31:36 AM »
I like creature decks that end with creatures big and stompy (somehow that description should apply to Angels as well). Favorites so far are Saprolings, Angel Stompy, and Reanimate. Exceptions include instant combo kills (e.g. Dragonstorm), as the game supposedly ends once I get to the good part, and infinite creature spam, as that's like an instant combo kill, too. My preference is Legacy Format, which probably consigns them to some low tier, but that's okay.

Reanimate is problematic, though. Running a selection of the "best" creatures seemed to be guaranteed fun, but it's become a waiting game for anything better to come along. Meanwhile other cool creatures don't quite make the cut, and the originals lose their luster. Pulling up an old deck list, I had:

Angel of Despair
Empyrial Archangel
Inkwell Leviathan <-- With complementary lighthouse (wait, negative on the last... what a weird bugger)
Iona, Shield of Emeria
Sphinx of the Steel Wind <-- Love the flavor text

Has anything taken their place?

August 24, 2011, 03:02:55 PM
Reply #5

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 03:02:55 PM »
Not that it took anyone's spot, but Blazing Archon comes to mind as a popular sideboard target, and Sphinx has lost some popularity. Empyrial I've never seen get too much hype. I'd say Iona and Inkwell are the go-to targets.

August 24, 2011, 03:20:03 PM
Reply #6

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 03:20:03 PM »
I love a good combo, am playing U/R twin deck in standard at the moment and also have a shape anew/blightsteel colossus deck for fun.

My EDH decks are Mimeoplasm that requires a graveyard theme for a commander combo, Doran for straight up beatdown and Jhoira of the Ghittu suspending hugely powerful spells.
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
That's like having "Some Who Ride Ponies" as a Rohan follower. ~ Dain Ironfoot.

August 24, 2011, 08:22:45 PM
Reply #7

Gate Troll

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 08:22:45 PM »
I have been asking myself this question, and as I look through the new decks I have built and my favourite old ones, it seems I am a creature spammer. I love having lots of creatures out to wreck face with.

What kind of player are you?

Amen to lots of creatures. Goblin (R) burn/swarm all the way.