LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Powerful Gandalf and Theoden deck (needs help!)  (Read 8901 times)

December 12, 2011, 10:33:03 AM
Read 8901 times

jc1138

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
Powerful Gandalf and Theoden deck (needs help!)
« on: December 12, 2011, 10:33:03 AM »
I'm not sure where to post this, and thought maybe extended.  However, I play with my brothers and it's hardly a cutthroat environment.  The decks are with physical cards, not gccg, lackey or equivalent.  Also, I used to play (FotR--MD) years ago and am just getting back into the game.  I like Shadows, Black Rider, and Bloodlines, but am NOT sold on Hunters block (the huge cost of the cards has something to do with this, as does the Hunter mechanic  :'().  (I actually like Ages End, strangely, as it doesn't seem very popular).  This deck is FotR--Bloodlines (with the glaring exception of Theoden, Ednew), so please keep recommendations to sets beyond Bloodlines to a minimum.

I thought it would be fun to make a deck centered around high-strength Gandalf and Theoden (I got the idea from Hearken to Me--I realize it's not a killer card but it certainly looks good on Theoden).  Eomer could also make an appearance, as he helps out in certain ways.  Saved From the Fire is there to set up Theoden first and Gandalf second.  The Simbelmynes fill in the holes and get Eomer (I have heard of grabbing Simbelmyne from Saved From the Fire to thin the deck for a devastating Shadow side, but kinda want to keep em around because there are so many elements to these companions).  I can see where the deck would be particularly vulnerable to Grima, Wormtongue, but what can you do?

Frodo, Resolute Hobbit (to help against corruption)
The One Ring, Answer to All Riddles (to help against archery)

Gandalf, Leader of Men x1 (starting)
Elite Rider x1 (starting, solely to be used as fodder for a hopeful first turn Saved From the Fire)

Saved From the Fire x4 (Really need to draw one first turn, and the deck needs to have at least 2 go off per game).
Theoden, Ednew x1 (to be grabbed with the first SftF)
Herugrim, Sword of the Mark x1 (also to be grabbed with the first SftF)
Snowmane, Noble Mearas x1(the third card to be grabbed with the first SftF.  For the strength boost and the mount for Theoden's strength bonus--not really sure about this one. . .).
Hearken to Me x1

Gandalf, Leader of the Company x1 (to grab with the 2nd SftF) (this is my favorite Gandalf)
Sent Back x1 (Needed to make the 2nd SftF work, also to be grabbed with 2nd SftF)
Glamdring, Lightning Brand x1 (to kill off large minions; last card to be fetched with 2nd SftF debating switching it out for Foe-hammer and the corruption removal).

Eomer, Third Marshall of Riddermark x1 (Either drawn, from a Simbelmyne, or a 3rd SftF with the rest of his gear)
Eomer's Spear x1 (Two Towers version)
Firefoot x1 (Two Towers version for the protection against swarms)

Veteran Horseman x3 (can burn 1 for possible 3rd Saved From the Fire, and need the third mounted Rohan man for Theoden).
Simbelmyne x3
Rider's Mount x2
Pallando, Far Traveled One x1
Have Patience x2 (Needs some healing, especially for Eomer)
Servant of the Secret Fire x4 (My favorite "pump" for any culture; works for all companions as long as Gandalf's around and good with Lightning Brand).
Hamstrung x3 (I plan on double moves)

35 cards.

Sites

Helm's Gate (for all the possessions)
Pinnacle of Zirakzigil (in case Gandalf dies)
Other sites?

This is a tad bit large, but lots of stuff thins it out (SftF, Simbelmyne).  I love G for Grand but don't know if it works here and there's already tons of twilight coming the shadow side way on a few turns, which will undoubtedly be a problem.  What kind of shadow would be good with this?  I am building an enduring Nazgul deck centered on Ulaire Enquea, Thrall of the One and Between Nazgul and Prey, but this may not be the deck to pair it with.

Any comments appreciated!

December 12, 2011, 01:13:00 PM
Reply #2

jc1138

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
Re: Powerful Gandalf and Theoden deck (needs help!)
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 01:13:00 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  Do you not like Saved from the Fire in general or just for this deck?

Are 3 Servant of the Secret Fire's enough pumps?  I want my companions to be winning skirmishes.

December 12, 2011, 04:03:19 PM
Reply #3

hsiale

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
Re: Powerful Gandalf and Theoden deck (needs help!)
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 04:03:19 PM »
I like Saved From the Fire in an Ent deck. I've seen quite decent uses of it in Noble Leaders or A Promise decks. But I feel in a Rohan deck it hurts, Rohan has other ways of setting itself up.

Your companions are quite strong by themselves and you should be wining some skirmishes even without pumps. You have 3 SotSF and additionally two Barlimans, he can get the pumps back (unless you prefer to get back some other event). If your shadow side doesn't use plains, you may replace Border Patrol with 3rd Barliman. You will see if you need more pumps when playtesting :)