LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Horn of Hamfast  (Read 5055 times)

March 01, 2012, 03:47:02 PM
Read 5055 times

hsiale

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
Horn of Hamfast
« on: March 01, 2012, 03:47:02 PM »
A typical decent fellowship will try to win in 5 turns: 1-3, 3-5, 5-6, 6-8, 8-9. To win, you can plan on one or more of the following:

A) Go first and win in 5 turns. People would bid 5 or 6 to go first, start Green Dragon Inn, and pull Son of Hamfast to remove 3 burdens. This isn't bad, but pulling Sam has some disadvantages; in particular, it's tough to play Horn of Boromir.

Here is my try at solving this problem. Horn deck is my favourite FotR block fellowship, but I don't like its typical Boromir-Merry starting fellowship, as Merry always gives me more trouble than help. And I like bidding high and starting first. So I decided to try Horn deck with Sam + Greenleaf starting fellowship.

Shadow side are Nazgul, good for some early stops so that I can be ahead on site path. Nelya often lets me get my site 6 on the table later in the game which helps a lot when Uruviel is out.

Frodo, Reluctant Adventurer
The One Ring, Isildur's Bane

1x Legolas, Greenleaf (starting)
1x Sam, Son of Hamfast (starting)
1x Aragorn, HttWC (pulled using site 1)
4x Boromir, Defender of Minas Tirith (I want him ASAP)
1x Arwen, Elven Rider (replacement if someone is killed)

3x Galadriel, Lady of Light
1x Elrond, Herald to Gil-galad
1x Rumil, Elven Protector
1x Orophin, Lorien Bowman
1x Celeborn, Lord of Lorien
1x Uruviel, Maid of Lorien

3x Horn of Boromir
2x Aragorn's Bow
1x Sting
1x Ranger's Sword
1x Flaming Brand

2x The Last Alliance of Elves and Men
1x There and Back Again

3x Secret Sentinels
2x Pathfinder (mostly to avoid Anduin Confluence)

4x The Witch-king, Lord of Angmar
4x Ulaire Cantea, Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
3x Ulaire Attea, Keeper of Dol Guldur
2x Ulaire Enquea, Lieutenant of Morgul
3x Ulaire Nelya, Lieutenant of Morgul
2x Ulaire Toldea, Messenger of Morgul
1x Bill Ferny, Swarthy Sneering Fellow

2x The Pale Blade
2x Wreathed in Shadow
4x Morgul Gates
2x All Blades Perish
2x Stricken Dumb
1x Relentless Charge

Sites:
The Prancing Pony
Weatherhills
Ford of Bruinen
Eregion Hills
The Bridge of Khazad-dum
Lothlorien Woods
Silverlode Banks
Anduin Banks
Slopes of Amon Hen

Deck is 32 cards per side, there are many cards I'd like to add, especially at FP side (Armor, Calaglin, one more replacement companion, Might of Numenor etc.) but if it becomes bigger, cycling will be an issue. So far the deck has nice win rate, but I guess it still can be made better, so any advice is welcome :)

March 01, 2012, 06:27:35 PM
Reply #1

ramolnar

• Information Offline
  • Troll
Re: Horn of Hamfast
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 06:27:35 PM »
I always enjoy when people quote me. :)

The question is this: what does Sam-Greenleaf gain that Boromir-Merry does not? It does get to go first most of the time. But to get that, you have to give up first turn Boromir AND Armor. My Horn deck plays 2 Armor, because it's that important against Uruks.  It's a much riskier approach - I think Keeper will hurt you too much. Or, for that matter, common Balrog. But I tend to play stabler constructed decks.
Smaller notes for FP:
* Uruviel is too cute. Since you want to be in front, you need to Pathfinder site 6 - when you should be saving Pathfinder for 7 - or use 1 of your 3 Neyla. And she's 2 vitality so she dies to an Uruk. Calaglin would be better. Or for that matter, Filibert.
* O Elbereth is better than TABA in most cases.

March 02, 2012, 01:39:46 PM
Reply #2

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
Re: Horn of Hamfast
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 01:39:46 PM »
Not to mention two-card combos are really bad if they're the centerpiece of the deck (meaning: you have to draw them ASAP) but depend on you drawing the "right" half first. If you draw horns before Boromirs, you're hosed (sure, it's unlikely, but even if it'll onyl happen 1 out of 50 games, it's still a free loss you're giving away). You have no way to get rid of them, for fear of drawing Boromir next and burning a Horn, and each new horn is more and more terrible. Tthough you'll discard the second unless you're playing against a deck with discard, it'll still mean you have a 6-card hand for that particular turn (terrible if it's your shadow phase), and if you happend to draw all 3 at once, you'd probably be looking at a free double-move from your opponent. You can fix this with The Shards of Narsil, but it's both counterintuitive and, again, not worth the space. You really shoud be playing a Thror's Map as well, at least. And a couple of Hobbit Stealth. I'd also consider playing more Elronds, since he self-heals and is a great Horn target, with 11 strength.