LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Throwing Out Ideas. Enjoy!  (Read 4186 times)

September 13, 2008, 09:30:20 PM
Read 4186 times

menace64

• The Late-Night Moderator
  • Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
  • Bruce Campbell is my father.
Throwing Out Ideas. Enjoy!
« on: September 13, 2008, 09:30:20 PM »
Now that I've decided to go ahead with a set, I'm trying to inject a favorable bunch of new keywords and mechanics into the mix. I spent a while at work tonight brainstorming... Let me know if any of these are horrible.

Dominate. (An opponent's character skirmishing this character can't use special abilities.) --- I wanted something that shows a person that is so intimidating in battle that his or her opponent is just scared into inaction.

Pillage X. (When this minion is assign to a skirmish, the Free Peoples player discards X cards from hand and you draw X cards.) --- Most likely needs tweaking, since if the number gets too high it would be overpowered. In fact, I think it's only balanced if you can only discard 1 and draw 1. Think so?

Rampage. (At the start of this character's skirmish, you may play a skirmish event from your discard pile. Then remove that card from the game.) --- Represents a character so lusting for battle that he swings right away.

Raze. (When this character wins a skirmish, discard a card (except a character) of the losing character's culture.) --- Pretty straightforward.

Scout. (When you play this character, you may look at the top 3 cards of any draw deck.) --- I'm considering making this variable, since Aragorn or Faramir is obviously a better scout than, say, a random no-name companion who happens to have the keyword as well.

Stronghold X. (While there are at least X tokens here, conditions of this card's culture may not be discarded by an opponent's card.) --- I've always been a big fan of this keyword representing something "better" than a fortification, and since strongholds are all about protection and defense, this ability seems natural.

September 14, 2008, 11:34:46 AM
Reply #1

AgentDrake

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Why me? No, seriously. WHY ME?!?
Re: Throwing Out Ideas. Enjoy!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 11:34:46 AM »
Now that I've decided to go ahead with a set, I'm trying to inject a favorable bunch of new keywords and mechanics into the mix. I spent a while at work tonight brainstorming... Let me know if any of these are horrible.

Dominate. (An opponent's character skirmishing this character can't use special abilities.) --- I wanted something that shows a person that is so intimidating in battle that his or her opponent is just scared into inaction.

Seems like something that shouldn't be overly common... certainly not common enough to create a keyword for it. One or two cards with text like that (ie, Faramir, SoD) is fine, but more than just a few would potentially screw the other cards too much. I know this keyword doesn't prevent events, but still....

Pillage X. (When this minion is assign to a skirmish, the Free Peoples player discards X cards from hand and you draw X cards.) --- Most likely needs tweaking, since if the number gets too high it would be overpowered. In fact, I think it's only balanced if you can only discard 1 and draw 1. Think so?

Interesting... like you say, could be too OP if it goes above 1. Maybe have it somehow deal with exertions rather than discarding FP cards, or something... maybe an either-or thing, which lets the FP choose to exert or discard cards. I dunno.

Rampage. (At the start of this character's skirmish, you may play a skirmish event from your discard pile. Then remove that card from the game.) --- Represents a character so lusting for battle that he swings right away.

Not a bad idea, but not sure it quite fits the keyword. Maybe something else as the keyword for that ability would be better. Somehow when I think of a rampage, it'd be something more like "Rampage - X (Each time this minion wins a skirmish, you may exert this minion X times to assign it to skirmish another companion not assigned to a skirmish.)" Note another companion, so it can't just fight the same guy over and over and over.

Raze. (When this character wins a skirmish, discard a card (except a character) of the losing character's culture.) --- Pretty straightforward.

Simple... works.

Scout. (When you play this character, you may look at the top 3 cards of any draw deck.) --- I'm considering making this variable, since Aragorn or Faramir is obviously a better scout than, say, a random no-name companion who happens to have the keyword as well.

Nice... and definitely make it variable.

Stronghold X. (While there are at least X tokens here, conditions of this card's culture may not be discarded by an opponent's card.) --- I've always been a big fan of this keyword representing something "better" than a fortification, and since strongholds are all about protection and defense, this ability seems natural.

Maybe make it "other conditions of this card's culture" that way, the SH player can discard the stronghold itself (unless you're making them all possessions) so it doesn't get OP.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 05:47:42 PM by AgentDrake »
Forget it. I'm not arguing with the computer anymore to try to get the sig I want....

September 14, 2008, 11:50:11 AM
Reply #2

sickofpalantirs

• Information Offline
  • Useful Spammer
  • one spammer to rule them all
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 11:50:11 AM »
wheres a france keyword? it had what, 3 votes?

fine

yeah I think just pillage, and 1. otherwise way OP way fast. maybe a card at random?

sure

make the freeps discard a card, otherwise, to OP

yeah I'd say make it scout X.

fine...though you could just modify fortification ;)
Felipe Musco:
(after all, it's a CHARITY organization, I still have SOME principles, even having gone through Law School... :P),
Elf Lvr:
Bit of a scrawny Iowan kid with an unhealthy artifact obsession. Oh, and a God of Spam. In a good way.
Ahhh!!! SoP, you're a genius!!! :gp: ~Menace64
SoP's Trade List
Like Muscle Cars? Check out themusclecarplace.com

September 14, 2008, 05:33:10 PM
Reply #3

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 05:33:10 PM »
How about a variable dominate - Dominate - [2], for example, making your opponent add/remove [2] in order to use special abilities? That could prevent it from becoming too OP, and you might be able to include events as well.

Maybe lose some of the flavour to give you a choice whether you draw X cards or make your opponent discard X cards which might make it more balanced.

I'm not feeling rampage with skirmish events. Something like AD was suggesting appears to be a better representation of the keyword.

I think it should perhaps not discard artifacts either. I might just specify "condition, possession or follower".

Variable keywords are normally more fun!

I don't think such a massive and powerful blanket is necessarily the way to go. Perhaps having X tokens on it allows you to remove tokens to prevent your cards from being discarded? Or I'd go with AD's idea allowing the Stronghold to represent a wall that the Shadow players have to penetrate first before getting to your other cards.

Thranduil
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 05:48:00 PM by Thranduil »

September 14, 2008, 05:46:59 PM
Reply #4

AgentDrake

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Why me? No, seriously. WHY ME?!?
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 05:46:59 PM »
...Or I'd go with SoP's idea allowing the Stronghold to represent a wall that the Shadow players have to penetrate first before getting to your other cards.

Thranduil

Erm... that was MY idea. MINE!!!!
 :evil: :P
Forget it. I'm not arguing with the computer anymore to try to get the sig I want....

September 14, 2008, 05:49:14 PM
Reply #5

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 05:49:14 PM »
...Or I'd go with SoP's idea allowing the Stronghold to represent a wall that the Shadow players have to penetrate first before getting to your other cards.

Thranduil

Erm... that was MY idea. MINE!!!!
 :evil: :P
Quite right. Sometimes I mix up "sickofpalantirs" with "AgentDrake" - they're very similar words :whistle:

:suspect:

:gp:

Thranduil

September 21, 2008, 06:13:20 PM
Reply #6

Gate Troll

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 06:13:20 PM »

I'd make it variable. For example: Dominate 7, may only use this ability on characters with 7 or less strength.

No, I think you could probably keep it a variably, just make the 'X' a low number otherwise it could become insane.

Neat idea.

Yikes. I'd add a few more modifiers because that is one heck of an ability.

Maybe top 2 cards? Otherwise, pretty good.

Sweet.

I like 'em menace... ... keep them coming.  :up:

June 06, 2020, 12:49:51 PM
Reply #7

menace64

• The Late-Night Moderator
  • Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
  • Bruce Campbell is my father.
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2020, 12:49:51 PM »
I've had a long time to think about it, but I think I'm gonna replace Rampage with Prowess. I still like the idea of fighters gaining special access to strength pumps in the discard pile and prowess makes more sense and it doesn't have a FP or SH connotation.

Scout X. is best although I doubt it'd be very useful.