LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Man and Monster (New Format!) - Gimli and the Cave Troll.  (Read 2894 times)

September 30, 2012, 10:15:16 PM
Read 2894 times

menace64

• The Late-Night Moderator
  • Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
  • Bruce Campbell is my father.
Man and Monster (New Format!) - Gimli and the Cave Troll.
« on: September 30, 2012, 10:15:16 PM »
The idea behind this new deck format is to scale back the scope of both Free Peoples and Shadow sides of your game, simultaneously limiting the dangers you may face while increasing the peril with each decision you make. You see, each side of your deck is limited to one character: one companion to assist Frodo on his quest, and then 4 copies of a single minion.

I highly recommend keeping these decks to 30/30. So far, every time I've played we've all pretty much decked ourselves by site 9. Since the format itself limits you to a very specific sort of deck, there are no banned or restricted cards. But you can't use followers or allies of any kind.

Here is an example of a Man and Monster deck using Gimli and The Cave Troll. My friend requested this combination, and that the deck "cycle really quickly." Gimli's focus is to beef up while burning through cards at a decent clip, ditching Shadow cards that he can bring back later on. It's not likely that The Cave Troll will come out to play more than once or twice in the game, but when he does show up it will always stretch your opponent to the breaking point.

Frodo, Protected by Many (with The One Ring, The Great Ring)
Gimli, Opinionated Guide

Barazinbar, The Bridge Of Khazad-dum, The Great Gates, Helm's Gate, Moria Guardroom, Moria Stairway, Morannon Plains, Starkhorn, Watch-tower of Cirith Ungol

Free Peoples (30)
Conditions (11):
Aggression x2
Chamber of Records x3
A Clamour of Many Voices x2
Endurance of Dwarves x2
Proud and Able
Stout and Strong

Events (9):
Awkward Moment x4
Battle to the Last x2
Sorrow Shared x3

Artifacts/Possessions (9):
Arod, Rohirrim Steed
Dwarven Bracers x2
Gimli's Armor
Gimli's Battle Axe, Vicious Weapon
Gimli's Helm
Hand Axe x2
Ring of Retribution

Shadow (30)
Minions (4):
Cave Troll of Moria, Savage Menace x4

Conditions (7):
Goblin Hordes x2
Retribution x2
Spurred to Battle x3

Events (7):
Armed for Battle x2
Conquered Halls x3
Expendable Servants x2

Possessions (12):
Bladed Gauntlets x4
Cave Troll's Chain x2
Cave Troll's Hammer x2
Mordor Scimitar x4

I hope you like the look of this deck, and I recommend building a few in this format! I discovered cards, always overlooked, that really started to shine once a limit was placed on the characters a player can use. It's a lot of fun!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 10:43:24 PM by menace64 »