LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: An Unexpected Journey: Cancelled.  (Read 23816 times)

June 04, 2012, 04:43:30 PM
Reply #45

menace64

• The Late-Night Moderator
  • Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
  • Bruce Campbell is my father.
Re: An Unexpected Journey: Bilbo has arrived!
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2012, 04:43:30 PM »
Sorry for the delay. I got sidetracked working on a new drinking game and it devoured my free time. But now that it's done, I'll write up a few more cards after a good walk with my dog.

As for the Ring, I'm going to let it sit for a while. I hadn't intended to write it so soon and my head isn't ready for it.

June 04, 2012, 08:31:16 PM
Reply #46

menace64

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2012, 08:31:16 PM »
I feel like throwing out a few random Gollum goodies tonight.

[2] •Crunchable [Gollum]
Condition • Support Area
Assignment: Discard a [Gollum] card from hand to heal Gollum.
Regroup: Exert Gollum to add [1].
"After a while Gollum began to hiss with pleasure to himself. 'Is it nice, my preciousss? Is it juicy? Is it scrumptiously crunchable?' He began to peer at Bilbo out of the darkness."
H1U106

[2] •Gollum, Nasty Underground Creature [Gollum]
Minion
Strength 5
Vitality 4
Site Number 3
While at an underground site, companions are resistance -1.
"Deep down here by the dark water lived old Gollum, a small slimy creature."
H1C111

(0) Holed-away [Gollum]
Event • Shadow
Exert Gollum twice. Until the end of the regroup phase, the Ring-bearer may not wear The One Ring.
"Gollum used to wear it at first, till it tired him; and then he kept it in a pouch next his skin, till it galled him; and now usually he hid it in a hole in the rock on his island, and was always going back to look at it."
H1R114

I'm still not quite decided on the core themes for the Gollum culture in this. There are plenty of Ring-centric cards, and I guess most of the other stuff will deal with resistance in some way. Riddles will show up in the expansion!

June 05, 2012, 02:53:54 AM
Reply #47

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2012, 02:53:54 AM »
[2] •Crunchable [Gollum]
Condition • Support Area
Assignment: Discard a [Gollum] card from hand to heal Gollum.
Regroup: Exert Gollum to add [1].
"After a while Gollum began to hiss with pleasure to himself. 'Is it nice, my preciousss? Is it juicy? Is it scrumptiously crunchable?' He began to peer at Bilbo out of the darkness."
H1U106
I'd like a bit of an explanation on why the first effect is in the assignment phase particularly, why not any other phase. I also do in general see the connection between the abilities, but this card isn't gelling as a whole for me. If, for example, I had looked through the whole set cardlist and maybe even played with this card a couple of times in a draft, I would probably not be able to tell you what it did without looking at it.

[2] •Gollum, Nasty Underground Creature [Gollum]
Minion
Strength 5
Vitality 4
Site Number 3
While at an underground site, companions are resistance -1.
"Deep down here by the dark water lived old Gollum, a small slimy creature."
H1C111
This card works very well, however. Simple flavour, simply ability, very memorable and very useful. I might consider him doing something even at a non-underground site with a bonus for underground.

(0) Holed-away [Gollum]
Event • Shadow
Exert Gollum twice. Until the end of the regroup phase, the Ring-bearer may not wear The One Ring.
"Gollum used to wear it at first, till it tired him; and then he kept it in a pouch next his skin, till it galled him; and now usually he hid it in a hole in the rock on his island, and was always going back to look at it."
H1R114
I think you should word it like a cause and effect as normal. "Exert Gollum twice to prevent the Ring-bearer from wearing The One Ring until the regroup phase". But I love the card, very nice.

Thran

June 05, 2012, 02:58:42 AM
Reply #48

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
Re: An Unexpected Journey: Here's Gollum!
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2012, 02:58:42 AM »
Are the cards from your 2 new block supposed to be played together or could they be mixed with previously made cards?

November 18, 2012, 06:43:33 PM
Reply #49

menace64

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2012, 06:43:33 PM »
Well, yes, I aborted this whole project once it was announced that we'd be getting 3 films instead of 2. That caused me an overload of issues and I had to just pause this whole mess.

In a month's time when we've all seen the first film, I'll try to re-work this first block of cards. Here are my current "issues".

1. The Elven culture. My feeling is that we won't see the Elves of Mirkwood in film one, which limits the culture to Rivendell Elves (unless we get something new). This puts the base set into a weird state, since now the only "full" Free Peoples culture is Dwarven. If the Eagles get enough screen time, I'll be giving them their own culture to help balance this problem. And, of course, we're likely in for a few big surprises that change all of this.

2. The Nazgul. We've all seen the footage of Gandalf in Dul Guldur. I was "planning" to slip in a few [Wraith] cards in the third set, but I have a sneaking bit of intuition that the Nazgul will have a bigger part to play in these movies. We'll have to see, but if they show up in a meaningful way, I'll have to find a way to squeeze them into the set.

3. And on the good side of things: The Wargs will be getting a ton of screen time - and I was totally right about the Stone Giants! Can't wait to see them!

December 16, 2012, 08:35:29 PM
Reply #50

menace64

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2012, 08:35:29 PM »
I was never expecting this to happen, but I will not be putting any more work into this project. I saw the film Saturday night and it was the biggest cinematic disappointment since Attack of the Clones. There's too many flaws with it for me to go into tonight, so for now I'll just summarize it at the source: the writers didn't care.

December 16, 2012, 09:35:42 PM
Reply #51

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
Re: An Unexpected Journey: Cancelled.
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2012, 09:35:42 PM »
I was never expecting this to happen, but I will not be putting any more work into this project. I saw the film Saturday night and it was the biggest cinematic disappointment since Attack of the Clones. There's too many flaws with it for me to go into tonight, so for now I'll just summarize it at the source: the writers didn't care.
That's sad. I hope that someone with as good DC creating abilities as you will create a nice Hobbit DC set for us.

December 20, 2012, 06:09:10 AM
Reply #52

Kev-La

• Information Offline
  • Scout
  • Ah... the finest weed in the Southfarthing!
    • My MySpace Space
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2012, 06:09:10 AM »
I'm sorry to hear you were disappointed by the film. I saw it the other day and was well-pleased. It seemed to me that the writers did a great job. Do you care to go into more detail about what you didn't like?
Where I come from, one has to first give respect in order to earn it.

January 17, 2014, 11:30:43 AM
Reply #53

thetimewarptrio

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2014, 11:30:43 AM »
Not to keep resurrecting dead threads, but with the majority of inactivity on this site I'd like to think it's allowed. It's kind of sad to be here in the aftermath of the fact and see all the effort and creativity that went into this project. As much as I didn't think 'An Unexpected Journey' was all that great, I disliked 'The Desolation of Smaug' even more. Even with the poor quality of the films, I'd love to see the resurrection of the beloved LOTR TCG through 'The Hobbit' movies. Alas, it seems I'm stuck buying TTT booster boxes and teaching my friends to play.
If we're gonna play games, I'm gonna need a cup of coffee.