LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Gandalf supported fellowship + Nazgul Beatdown  (Read 16946 times)

March 29, 2013, 03:45:29 AM
Read 16946 times

Cthulhu

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
Gandalf supported fellowship + Nazgul Beatdown
« on: March 29, 2013, 03:45:29 AM »
Hi, first post here.

I am getting a bit tired of my Pipeweed/Uruk deck for Fellowship block, so I wanted to try something new. What I want to play is some fellowship supported by Gandalf, and beatdown nazguls. In fact i saw such a deck recently in the hands of one of the high placed players in 1st Serie of the now running FotR My Cards League (think it was diaabel? not sure), so if he sees this and gives me some tips (decklist will be much appreciated ;)) either here or on PM i will be very grateful. I remember seeing some Ottars + Card Drawing Elrond that heals them (i love drawing cards!), maybe some Servants, dont remember if there was Last Alliance involved. Granted that Serie was with the first set only, so fellowship was somewhat limited, but i liked the frame. I would most likely include Betrayal of Isengard as that card is just bananas most of the time, and you could discard it to Ottar when its not. Dont feel like playing Trusts and stuff like that, that falls to Saruman's Power when you depend on it the most, plus exerting is not what I like to do against Sauron Grind.

I wanted to try the Fellowship nazguls too, no corruption, just straight beats. I am pretty sure they are worse than my Uruks, but as I said I want something new, and i've never played FotR nazzies.  What I have in mind is something like this:

4 The Witch-king, Lord of Angmar
4 Ulaire Cantea, Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
3 Ulaire Attea, Keeper of Dol Guldur
2 Ulaire Enquea, Lieutenant of Morgul
2 Ulaire Toldea, Messenger of Morgul
2 Ulaire Nelya, Ringwraith in Twilight (with the burden adding 4th site)
1 Ulaire Nertea, Messenger of Dol Guldur
1 Tower Assassin

4 Morgul Gates
4 Blade Tip
3 Black Breath
2 The Pale Blade
3 Nazgul Sword
2 Stricken Dumb
2 All Blades Perish
1 Frozen by Fear

but this is 40 cards, so I have to cut 5-6 at least ](*,). I'm not happy playing crap like Nazgul swords, but I was told that without them you lose to Super Gorn.

So some help here trimming the shadow would be appreciated.

Also, if anyone has a working fellowship involving Gandy, feel free to share it. It has to be strong, resilient and able to double, while my nazguls are stopping their fellowship, or at least thats the plan.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 04:21:31 AM by Cthulhu »
My current Gemp Tengwar count: 133 + 4

March 29, 2013, 03:32:32 PM
Reply #1

Grond

• Information Offline
  • Scout
Re: Gandalf supported fellowship + Nazgul Beatdown
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 03:32:32 PM »
at first glance : Nertea is worthless in nazgul deck (no fierce, low str)and tower assassin is really bad too since you have 2 better choices for ally control (discard 1 ally, wound EACH ally).
7 conditions seems far too much to me. More than 1 nelya is not needed, since most (maybe all?) the time it will be 10-3 with no abilities.

March 29, 2013, 03:57:03 PM
Reply #2

Cthulhu

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 03:57:03 PM »
I could see myself cutting 1 Blade Tip and 1 Nelya (though i dont like reducing the number of my low cost minions). I wanted to test Nertea as it provides some sort of a toolbox, but now that i think not that many people play more than 4 companions in the Block, so he can go too, Tower Assasin has the advantage over the quoted events of being a 10 strength minion (that could be brought back by Nertea ;)), so he will stay.

So - 1 Blade Tip, -1 Nertea, - 1 Nelya brings me to 37 cards but only 16 Nazguls. Isnt that too low? I've seen you complaining cause of drawing too many support cards and too few minions, and also dont like playing shadows with less minions than other cards. And I still have to cut 2-3 more cards. Maybe cut a Morgul Gates or 2, since I wont have 2 Nazguls most of the time, or they are too important for the deck? Cut a Sword or Pale Blade? Cant cut more Nazguls thats for sure.

March 29, 2013, 04:56:27 PM
Reply #3

Grond

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 04:56:27 PM »
Cmon at least play the nazgul that wounds an ally when its played...

March 30, 2013, 02:04:41 AM
Reply #4

Cthulhu

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 02:04:41 AM »
The ally that worries me the most is Filibert Bolger, and sadly Ulaire Attea, The Easterling doesnt deal with him, otherwise i would play him for sure. 

March 30, 2013, 06:02:16 AM
Reply #5

Ringbearer

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 06:02:16 AM »
Twilight Attea is really really bad.

Kick Tower Assassin, nerta, stricken dumb, replace the Wk with twilight WK for a start.

March 30, 2013, 07:10:44 AM
Reply #6

Cthulhu

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 07:10:44 AM »
I already said i would cut Nertea, won't cut Tower Assassin because Filibert is pain in the #$&*@!, and Stricken Dumb is for those Aragorns with 2 Flaming Brands (or Ranger's Sword and Flaming Brand) that make like 80 % of your shadow useless (good luck getting a unexhausted Cantea anywhere near them most of the time too).  What do I need the twilight Witchking for? I said i dont wanna play corruption, there is no Fell Beast here, and I think 16-18 strength fierce Witchking is better at stopping them than 14 strength no fierce.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 07:26:50 AM by Cthulhu »

March 30, 2013, 07:29:23 AM
Reply #7

gofatas

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 07:29:23 AM »
I already said i would cut Nertea, won't cut Tower Assassin because Filibert is pain in the #$&*@!, and Stricken Dumb is for those Aragorns with 2 Flaming Brands (or Ranger's Sword and Flaming Brand) that make like 80 % of your shadow useless (good luck getting a unexhausted Cantea anywhere near them most of the time too).  What do I need the twilight Witchking for? I said i dont wanna play corruption, there is no Fell Beast here, and I think 16-18 strength fierce Witchking is better at stopping them than 14 strength no fierce.

Totally agree

March 30, 2013, 07:51:30 AM
Reply #8

Cthulhu

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 07:51:30 AM »
Like I said I havent played Fellowship Nazguls, but have enough games against them - have my fair share of 1st-2nd site Flaming Brand or 2, only to see the Nazgul player across sigh and moan, because they know its gonna be an uphill battle for them.

Also forgot to mention I play mostly in tournaments (and in Casual i will play something like Hobbit Hospital/Isen Orcs), so everyone will have Aragorn and I just have to come prepared.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 07:53:38 AM by Cthulhu »

March 30, 2013, 05:41:33 PM
Reply #9

Ringbearer

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 05:41:33 PM »
A few remarks: I find Fear working just as good for Nazgul, also discarding annoying elrond with vilya for example.

The problem I have with FOTR Witch King is that you never get the pool for 2 nazguls. Either they play no strangers, a talent, a few companions or a combination of the three mentioned.

IN general, when you play nagzul, cut the deck down to 33/33 max, or you wont always find whatever you need.

March 30, 2013, 08:38:40 PM
Reply #10

Cthulhu

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2013, 08:38:40 PM »
Yes, i debated between Fear and Tower Assassin, but decided to go with the Assassin, because of the low number of minions.

Still, 14 fierce WK >14 no fierce WK. And its not that rare for him to be 16, on Ford or with couple of Gates on later sites. It happens all the time, at least when i play against him.

Agree, like I said, I would like it to be 34 max, so I have to cut at least 3 more cards. I'm thinking a Nazgul Sword, a Nelya and one of the events. Have to test it to see if 16 nazguls is too low... ( i'm beginning to hate this shadow before even playing with it :roll:)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 08:41:28 PM by Cthulhu »

March 30, 2013, 10:36:06 PM
Reply #11

bibfortuna25

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2013, 10:36:06 PM »
Since you get a maximum of 8 shadow phases per game, and Nazgûl are so expensive, 16 is a good number to start with. But you should also add Wreathed in Shadow to help deal with some of that pesky undirected archery.

I would take out a sword or two, plus FbF.
All cards do what they say, no more, no less.

March 31, 2013, 12:47:46 PM
Reply #12

Cthulhu

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2013, 12:47:46 PM »
Frozen by Fear is no doubt the weakest card, right besides Nazgul Sword but i like to have something in my sleeve. My singleton Houses of Lamentation in enduring Nazguls has won me so many games in Movie. I'd like them once they see it to think twice whether they could block with Frodo  to save their major's comps from wound/Tip. I'll probably remove 1 of the other events, maybe 1 Stricken Dumb and rely on All Blades Perish for archery and Cantea protection.

So, i have a Shadow to test, what about the Fellowship? Will someone share some working fellowship with Gandy? Like I said it has to be strong and capable of doubling, because Nazguls are not known for being a killing shadow.

Cards I would like to play:

Ottar
3 Elrond, Lord of Rivendell
2 Betrayal of Isengard
2 Sleep, Caradhras
some copies of A Wizard is Never Late
Barliman Butterbur
Servants

Could i put the above cards in Last Alliance shell? Is there space for everything?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 01:07:56 PM by Cthulhu »

April 11, 2013, 03:04:06 PM
Reply #13

Minikowski

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2013, 03:04:06 PM »
Well, im really new to the forum and the Gemp thing, but i like to play a deck of mine, and the shadow is pretty much the same as yours, lol. and  play Gandalf trust with him, was my first deck and it is consistent on casual games. no clue about really  competitive games, since i dont even know how to start on them haha. Well, guess i'll post here as a start, and will listen to the ideas as well :)

FP Trust Nazgul

Ring-bearer: Frodo, Old Bilbo's Heir
Ring: The One Ring, Isildur's Bane

Free Peoples Draw Deck:
1x Gimli, Son of Gloin
1x Legolas, Greenleaf
2x Gandalf, Friend of the Shirefolk
2x Aragorn, Ranger of the North
1x Sam, Son of Hamfast
3x Elrond, Lord of Rivendell
1x Ottar, Man of Laketown
1x Dwarven Bracers
1x Gimli's Battle Axe
1x Gimli's Helm
1x Hand Axe
1x Glamdring
1x Aragorn's Bow
1x Aragorn's Pipe
1x Armor
1x Flaming Brand
1x Ranger's Sword
1x Gandalf's Staff
1x Narya
3x A Wizard Is Never Late
3x Servant of the Secret Fire
1x Sleep Caradhras
2x Betrayal of Isengard
2x Trust Me as You Once Did

Shadow Draw Deck:
1x Tower Assassin
4x The Witch-king, Lord of Angmar
3x Úlairë Attëa, Keeper of Dol Guldur
4x Úlairë Cantëa, Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
2x Úlairë Enquëa, Lieutenant of Morgul
1x Úlairë Nertëa, Messenger of Dol Guldur
2x Úlairë Toldëa, Messenger of Morgul
3x Nazgul Sword
2x The Pale Blade
1x Frozen by Fear
4x Morgul Gates
1x Stricken Dumb
3x Black Breath
3x Blade Tip
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 03:17:13 PM by Minikowski »

May 16, 2013, 02:15:52 AM
Reply #14

Eukalyptus

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2013, 02:15:52 AM »
Here's my shadow:

4x The Witch-king, Lord of Angmar
3x Úlairë Attëa, Keeper of Dol Guldur
4x Úlairë Cantëa, Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
2x Úlairë Enquëa, Lieutenant of Morgul
1x Úlairë Nertëa, Messenger of Dol Guldur
1x Úlairë Toldëa, Messenger of Morgul
1x Nazgul Sword
2x The Pale Blade
2x All Blades Perish
2x Fear
1x Frozen by Fear
4x Morgul Gates
1x Stricken Dumb
3x Black Breath
3x Blade Tip

All Blades Perish is too important and good not to play. Twilight Nelya is useless in FotR. WK, Attea and Cantea are the main minions, leaving the rest for a 2nd place. I love Steeds in Movie, but alas, here's too much underground that can clog your hand. I prefer Fear over Tower Assassin as it costs less and is much more versatile. Discarding a Thrarin that just exerted to save a companion is pure gold. Nertea may be a lesser minion that your 3 main fighters, but if the opposing freeps go over 6, he can save your butt. Same with a bad draw.