LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: This seems to stupid too work.....  (Read 7162 times)

April 02, 2013, 12:04:48 AM
Read 7162 times

NappyKorn

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • The ShizKnight
This seems to stupid too work.....
« on: April 02, 2013, 12:04:48 AM »
.....but I was looking for something different to play on Gemp. I have basically one Fellowship block deck to use on there and wanted to try something new. I know the Free Peoples side has probably been done before but something seems off with it to me (maybe I'm just tired), but the shadow seemed like something new(er) to try for fun. Problem I think I see is I may end up clogging my hand. I've grown quite fond of condition based shadows (well fellowships as well) and wanted to try something with fewer condition to worry about getting tossed. I need whatever input I can get for both the shadow and freeps. Here is the decklist:

Frodo and Ring:

Frodo, Son of Drogo
The One Ring, Isildur's Bane

Free Peoples:

Gandalf, Friend of the Shirefolk (start)
Aragorn, Heir to the White City
Legolas, Greenleaf x2
Merry, Friend to Sam x3
Barliman Butterbur, Prancing Pony Proprietor x2
Gandalf's Pipe x2
Glamdring
Aragorn's Bow x2
Aragorn's Pipe
Frodo's Pipe
Frying Pan
Hobbit Sword
Longbottom Leaf
Old Toby x4
The Gaffer's Pipe
Narya
Servant of the Secret Fire x4
The Shire Countryside x4
The Saga of Elendil
The Tale of Gil-Galad

Pretty Simple blast minion with arrows and mass heal in the fellowship phase, but make sure something survives for Frodo to fight so he can take burdens so you can heal better with Gandalf's Pipe and the The Shire Countryside, if not guess it's the slower more consuming way with Aragorn's Pipe and Frodo's Pipe. You will have Merry and SotSF to help you make it past things that can't die or won't die to arrows.

Shadow:

Lurtz, Servant of Isengard x2
Orthanc Assassin x2
Orthanc Berserker x2
Troop of Uruk-hai x3
Uruk-hai Raiding Party x3
The Witch-king, Lord of the Nazgul x2
Ulaire Attea, The Easterling
Ulaire Enquea, Ringwraith in Twilight x3
Ulaire Enquea, Lieutenant of Morgul
Ulaire Nelya, Ringwraith in Twilight x2
Can You Protect Me From Yourself
Cruel Caradhras x4
Saruman's Power
Fear
Resistance Becomes Unbearable x3
Wraith-World x2
Worry x2

I going to guess my idea here was try to use events to get Frodo exhausted and force on the ring. Add burdens through the uruks winning fights with Worry and by Frodo being exhausted when Enquea and The Witch-King win their fights. With 5 burdens Ulaire Enquea, Lieutenant of Morgul can start picking off companions. Ran a solo copy of Fear for an annoying Elrond and a solo copy of Can You Protect Me From Yourself to try and avoid Aragorn's bow if they add the burdens that just helps your cause anyway. If they elect to exhaust Aragorn (for whatever reason) and he has The Saga of Elendil attached play Saruman's Power on him and kiss him good night (might even get an exhausted Greenleaf with The Tale of Gil-Galad at the same time).

Wasn't sure if It Wants to Be Found would be a better option over Resistance Becomes Unbearable or not. Both have there advantages here but dont see room for both. It Wants to Be Found gives me the guaranteed burden in the manuever but costs 1 more twilight than Resistance Becomes Unbearable. I figured if I can get Frodo exhausted the burdens added by The Witch-King and Enquea would be more. The burden however is guaranteed with It Wants to be found where the wraiths have to win the skirmishes. Also with exhausting Frodo with the help of Resistance Becomes Unbearable that eliminated the option given by Worry. So the way I see it is it's more beneficial to get Frodo exhausted fast and often if i can win my skirmishes, but I guess it's hard to tell until it gets play tested or I get advice from people that have tried this out or something similar.

I'm not seeing this being very viable to play but like I said I'm tired of my current Fellowship block deck and wanted to try something new. I appreciate the feedback if any is given.

NK
If a Balrog falls from a bridge and noone is around, does it make a sound?

April 02, 2013, 12:32:56 AM
Reply #1

neopium

• Information Offline
  • Troll
Re: This seems to stupid too work.....
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 12:32:56 AM »
I like your deck idea. Would be interested to see if it works in play testing, so please keep posting :)

No special feedback to give regarding the shadow side, the idea is very nice, you have to test it to see if it really works.

It tries to do many things:
- Direct wounding/exertion to the ring bearer
- Corruption
- Win skirmishes with Uruks

Play testing will tell if it's too much.

Regarding the free people side, your use of the Shire Countryside is much more balanced (and less boring to face for your opponent I guess) than your 267 strength Aragorn :)

The only downside of massive fellowship healing is that when you double move, there is only one fellowship phase. If you exhaust Aragorn and Legolas in the archery phase, it might be risky to double move. Once more, this is just an impression, you have to test it to be sure :)

April 02, 2013, 01:17:05 AM
Reply #2

NappyKorn

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • The ShizKnight
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 01:17:05 AM »
Well the shadow did as I feared paired with the fellowship, it clogged the #$&*@! out of my hand. I need a fellowship that allows me to draw cards and get lucky there and discard things from hand when times get bad. Once the uruks stopped roaming i was getting my hand played but by then my fellowship was beaten do to no drawing and my opponent was happily set up. I need to find a better fellowship side to give the shadow a better chance, any ideas?

NK

April 02, 2013, 01:24:23 AM
Reply #3

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 01:24:23 AM »
I always thought the best fellowship to avoid getting a clogged hand was pipes.

If you are still having trouble, I guess you could try to use Gandalf, TGP and Elrond to draw cards.

April 02, 2013, 01:31:12 AM
Reply #4

NappyKorn

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • The ShizKnight
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 01:31:12 AM »
Maybe I just got a very bad draw first hand (and i even reconciled), or maybe i just got choked out more than i thought who knows. I have a few events in my hand, Lurtz. Witch-King and Worry and could get anything in play and kept drawing more high dollar minions. It was just a total flop or I got insanely unlucky that 1st test run.

NK

April 02, 2013, 02:17:46 AM
Reply #5

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 02:17:46 AM »
You could always swap some Old Toby for more Longbottom Leaf.

April 02, 2013, 02:32:36 AM
Reply #6

neopium

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 02:32:36 AM »
You don't have much tales in your deck, otherwise, Red Book of Westmarch is a good way to draw lots of cards.

Gandalf, TGP and drawing Elrond are, as suggested above, easier to integrate (no need for Bilbo + red book + tales)

April 02, 2013, 02:51:24 AM
Reply #7

TheNinthPlayer

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 02:51:24 AM »
This is slightly similar to a deck I run for a laugh now and then...
Uses the vitality conditions to their fullest during archery, but I had issues getting the mass heal to work.  This sounds like you may have solved the problem.
Kudos
\"What about a catapult?\" -Boromir

April 02, 2013, 12:56:26 PM
Reply #8

jdizzy001

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 12:56:26 PM »
If you want a really fast cycle, you could pair it with moria.
*All posts made by jdizzy001, regardless of the thread in which they appear, are expressions of his own opinion and as such are not representative of views shared by any third party unless expressly acknowledged as such by said party.

I play LOTR SBG look at my minis!
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.124731667611081.33577.100002227457509&l=aeb5fa3bdd

April 02, 2013, 01:45:06 PM
Reply #9

NappyKorn

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • The ShizKnight
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 01:45:06 PM »
If you want a really fast cycle, you could pair it with moria.

Im not saying i need to cycle for the Fellowship side, I need a deck to help either draw for when my hand is choked with shadow so my fellowship isn't a sitting duck or a fellowship that can drop cards from my hand when it does get jammed so I can draw more on the reconcile. Nothing worse than having 8 shadow cards in hand you can't play thanks to a choke and you drop 1 for a reconcile and just get another shadow card. Eventually that is gonna take its toll on whatever fellowship side you are running. I looked through the rest of the fellowship block deck archives I think i might try the one Gil posted that use allies to draw and drop cards and then they can fight and die. Hopefully i don't get clogged too bad before they show up.

I think I just had a horrible start the game I tested i went first and had a hand full of shadow against a choke style deck and I wasn't drawing but 1 or 2 cards a turn (2 or 3 when i did manage an Old Toby).

NK

April 02, 2013, 10:06:51 PM
Reply #10

Not a Zombie

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • An intelligent Corporeal, Previously sweet_stuff
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 10:06:51 PM »
Use dwarves+bilbo+tales+RBoW+Book of Mazarbul
No one loves you like I do.
--God

I'm imploring people I've never met to pressure a government with better things to do to punish a man who meant no harm for something nobody even saw, thats what I'm doing!

April 03, 2013, 09:13:46 PM
Reply #11

jdizzy001

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 09:13:46 PM »
moria is a fast cycling shadow. It helps freeps and baddies. However, it would seem that the idea of moria does not interest you. You could play the classic cheap minion deck. However, that deck centers on holding minions in hand (all costing 2 or less twilight) until you have 8 in hand.
*All posts made by jdizzy001, regardless of the thread in which they appear, are expressions of his own opinion and as such are not representative of views shared by any third party unless expressly acknowledged as such by said party.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.124731667611081.33577.100002227457509&l=aeb5fa3bdd

April 04, 2013, 07:45:22 AM
Reply #12

Not a Zombie

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • An intelligent Corporeal, Previously sweet_stuff
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 07:45:22 AM »
I think he wants to keep the shadow as is and add a better cycling fellowship.
No one loves you like I do.
--God

I'm imploring people I've never met to pressure a government with better things to do to punish a man who meant no harm for something nobody even saw, thats what I'm doing!

April 05, 2013, 04:16:34 AM
Reply #13

gofatas

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2013, 04:16:34 AM »
Uruk and nazgul... Love it!

April 07, 2013, 04:47:55 PM
Reply #14

jdizzy001

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2013, 04:47:55 PM »
How does this shadow fair?