LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Gondor + Hobbits with Orc Banner  (Read 5709 times)

April 10, 2013, 10:11:09 AM
Read 5709 times

Invincible

• Information Offline
  • Scout
Gondor + Hobbits with Orc Banner
« on: April 10, 2013, 10:11:09 AM »
Frodo, OBH with Isildur's bane

Hobbiton party field
Ettenmoors
council courtyard
balin's tomb
bridge of kazhad-dum
galadriel's glade
Anduin Wilderland
pilliars of the king
Tol Brandir

Merry, FotB (start)
Boromir, LoG (Start)
Aragorn, KiE x4
Elrond HtGG x3
Bilbo WSG
Sting
Mithril-coat
hobbit sword x2
blade of gondor
horn of boromir
armor
athelas x4
ranger's sword
flaming brand x2
NSttS x2
Atfnbs
OEG
TABA
CWW x2
the saga of elendil

Band of the eye x2
Orc Swordsman x3
Orc assassin x4
tower assassin x2
morgul hunter x3
the balrog, DB
Ulaire enquea, lom
The balrog's sword
vile blade x4
our list of allies grows thin
Orc banner x4
enheartened foe x4
terrible as the dawn

Strategy: Shadow is a beatdown, geat out some huge minions killing the companions 1 by one, with lots of vitality vs. greenleaf or aragorn's bow, enquea for crowd control, balrog for 1 or 2 kills at 5. Orc banner is great with unhearted foe as well.

The FP is a choke with lots of condition discading with athelas and bilbo. Horn can bring bilbo with a sword and CWW for a decent strenght 7 hobbit who does not take wounds (great vs uruks) and a strenght 11 Elrond than can heal himself and boromir each turn. All shadow sites will cost -3 once the conditions are out. I don't realy fear the nazguls with elrond, athelas and flaming brand, nor sauron with bilbo, mithril-coat and some healing or athelas vs desperate defense of the ring, I guess I'll be alright vs uruks (4 companions is the key) with armor and mithril-coat, but I guess a good moria swarm can be a pain vs this deck. Hopefully bilbo will discard 2 key conditions and sting will remove some of the twilight, but I might have to try to squeaze 1 or 2 copies of secrewt sentinels.

Anyway, I wanted to try a new shadow (FotR nazguls are weak because of flaming brand, Uruks and Moria are great, but I've played them way too much by now since I starded playing in 2002).

Feel free to comment.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 10:36:13 AM by Invincible »

April 10, 2013, 11:53:57 AM
Reply #1

Legion

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
Re: Gondor + Hobbits with Orc Banner
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 11:53:57 AM »
Frodo, Reluctant Adventurer may save you at most 4 twilight all game, and does get healed by KiE, but surely Old Bilbo's Heir will be more useful?  That'll let you discard more conditions if you see they are needed for your opponent's shadow, and if you don't need to, he helps remove 1 twilight per turn thanks to Consorting with Wizards.  I find I rarely use KiE to heal Frodo, since Boromir normally takes a wound, especially if you're playing his horn.

You may also wish to consider swapping out Kie for HttWC, and the Boromir to DoMT (if you don't often get Boromir overwhelmed).  This allows you to heal Boromir twice per turn (or 3 times if you give him The Saga of Elendil) if you need, and costs as much if you choose to only heal once (as the 2 twilight gets removed by HttWC).  You may be able to do even better if you use sting.  It also will choke harder if Boromir doesn't need to heal.  If you go for these swaps, a Bounder or two could be used in place of Athelas to give that much more protection (to Frodo, Merry and even Bilbo!) as Frodo can heal him every turn.

I do like the shadow!  I love orc banner, but it is so hard to keep in play.  Sleep Caradhras, Secret Sentinels and Bilbo, WSG all really hurt your deck.  I had never considered using Orc Assasin with it, but does he really make Tol Brandir more valuable than Enym Muil?  Fierce orcs are so much better when using banner.

April 10, 2013, 03:43:58 PM
Reply #2

Invincible

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 03:43:58 PM »
My thoughts on the assassin is
a) hobbitses are weaker so banners trigger more easily and
b) the reduce the roaming penalty which is nice in case you have a large twilight pool on ettenmoors.

As for Emyn muil vs tol brandir I will test both ways because my initial thought was that more minions = more chance to win, but fierce orcs are nice indeed for the banner (if it's still there). One thing I noticed, it is always fun to play a vile blade on a swordsman when facing gondor or elves.

The reason why I chose Boromir LoG was only to prent the Balrog from causing to much pain to my FP. With Armor on and saga on, the only threat the balrog can be is if he bears both the sword and the whip. Maybe I could run Old bilbo's heir but keep the Gondor as it is, I am not sure right now. anyway thanks a lot for the review, I appreciate it greatly.

April 10, 2013, 05:22:31 PM
Reply #3

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 05:22:31 PM »
You should consider playing Band of the Eye. I think its much better than Orc Swordsman + Vile Blade.

Band of the Eye = 1 card = cost 4= strength 12 all the time
Orc Swordsman + Vile Blade = 2 cards = cost 4 together = strength 11 or 13

April 11, 2013, 06:31:19 AM
Reply #4

Invincible

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 06:31:19 AM »
Swordsman + vile blade = 13 or 15 (but most of the times it's gonna be 15 exept vs, gandalf or gimli)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 10:35:07 AM by Invincible »

April 11, 2013, 08:16:03 AM
Reply #5

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 08:16:03 AM »
Swordsman + vile blade = 13 or 15 (but most of the times it's gonna be 13 exept vs, gandalf or gimli)
Oops. Sorry for my miscalculation. Nevertheless... I think Band of the Eye is worth playing. Are you really going to hold your Vile Blade for each of your 4 Orc Swordsman? I guess not, so some of them will just be Strength 9 minions. I think you should do 2 Orc Swordsman and 2 Band of the Eye.

April 11, 2013, 10:37:34 AM
Reply #6

Invincible

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 10:37:34 AM »
Changes made so far
- Swap frodo RA for OBH
- removed morgul warden and 1x orc swordsman for band of the eye x2