LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Magic Set Editor  (Read 18978 times)

June 27, 2013, 11:56:43 AM
Read 18978 times

eomund

• Information Offline
  • Scout
Magic Set Editor
« on: June 27, 2013, 11:56:43 AM »
I imagine nice-looking DC images are high on everyone's desire list here, so I wanted to let everyone know that I am currently working on a LotR TCG template for Magic Set Editor. It's currently in effectively a beta stage; it does work, but there are several known issues, as well as some unknown issues (probably).

If you're interested in helping out with the project, I've posted more information on their website. You can post/PM me there or here if you have found more issues, or if you are interested in helping to fix the known issues.

July 02, 2013, 02:52:19 AM
Reply #1

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
Re: Magic Set Editor
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 02:52:19 AM »
I imagine nice-looking DC images are high on everyone's desire list here, so I wanted to let everyone know that I am currently working on a LotR TCG template for Magic Set Editor. It's currently in effectively a beta stage; it does work, but there are several known issues, as well as some unknown issues (probably).

If you're interested in helping out with the project, I've posted more information on their website. You can post/PM me there or here if you have found more issues, or if you are interested in helping to fix the known issues.
8-)

How do I get it?

July 02, 2013, 07:10:59 AM
Reply #2

eomund

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 07:10:59 AM »
How do I get it?
In my MSE forum post, there's a link to a zip file containing the current version. Install the font and copy/paste the folders into your Program Files/Magic Set Editor/data directory, and it should work for you.

July 03, 2013, 02:41:37 AM
Reply #3

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 02:41:37 AM »
Thanks! :gp:

July 03, 2013, 07:39:25 AM
Reply #4

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 07:39:25 AM »
Just tried it. Its amazing! Thanks so much. Definitely keep me updated if there's a new version, with [Rohan] and some of the other bugs fixed. Would it be possible to have a different template for Rings (with full art)? How do I get the uniqueness dot?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 07:53:55 AM by Thranduil »

July 03, 2013, 10:54:58 AM
Reply #5

eomund

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 10:54:58 AM »
Thanks! It's great to hear that it's working for somebody else. I'll definitely keep posting here as new versions come out, although I've been taking a break from making the template in order to use the template. Please let me know if you notice any bugs that aren't listed over at the MSE post, so that I don't miss them.

July 03, 2013, 03:21:40 PM
Reply #6

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 03:21:40 PM »
Some things I've noticed...

I want to be able to use accents in words, like for Nazgûl's names, for instant, and the word Nazgûl itself. Any easy shortcuts we could use?

Any way of getting the reminder text to appear at the end of the paragraph if you want, rather than as soon as the phrase it's looking for is quoted?

Any way of bolding things like "damage +1" without requiring (a) a capital beforehand and (B) a full-stop afterwards? Alternatively, simply having control over bold and italics might be enough to sort this out, which I saw you mention on the other thread.

When I use the CARDNAME command (~) to use the title of a card, it also comes with the uniqueness dot. This is very annoying! Any way you could exempt the uniqueness dot when using this function?

One of the things I find most useful about Magic Set Editor is the ability to open packs at the touch of a button. There's no other reliable way to get a feel for what your set looks like, and I designed my sets to be draftable anyway. Can we do this for LotR too? I see that there is a way of entering the rarity into card data, and so it must be a fairly simple thing to create some packs. (Personally, I in my sets I think wanted 15 card packs with the same distribution as in MTG - 1/8th R+, 1 R, 3 U and 11 C, but I do believe that 11 card packs were more normal back when there were cards being made?).

Initial comments, I'm sure more will follow as I have fun!

July 03, 2013, 04:02:26 PM
Reply #7

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 04:02:26 PM »
Also, the [Gondor] template has a rarity at the bottom which has not been removed.

July 04, 2013, 11:17:06 AM
Reply #8

eomund

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 11:17:06 AM »
Thanks for all of your comments! It's nice to have a second set of eyes looking over the template.

I've just posted a new version on the MSE link with some of these issues fixed. I haven't gotten around to blanking the [Rohan], [Dunland], or [Gondor] templates, but I should have time early next week. I'll be adding a full-art Rings template at the same time.

How do I get the uniqueness dot?
I can't believe I didn't answer this in my previous post! It looks like you figured it out, but for anyone else wondering, you can use ALT+[NUMPAD 7] or * to get the uniqueness dot.

I want to be able to use accents in words, like for Nazgûl's names, for instant, and the word Nazgûl itself. Any easy shortcuts we could use?
You can use the standard ALT+[numpad] shortcuts (for example, ALT+0251 gives û). Unfortunately, the text box font does not include characters for accented letters, which means they will appear in a different font. I will be either editing the font file or finding a new font, as soon as I figure out which option is gives a better balance of ease and quality.

Any way of getting the reminder text to appear at the end of the paragraph if you want, rather than as soon as the phrase it's looking for is quoted?
This was my intended functionality; it just didn't work because I hadn't edited the script from Magic properly. It should be working now.

Any way of bolding things like "damage +1" without requiring (a) a capital beforehand and (B) a full-stop afterwards? Alternatively, simply having control over bold and italics might be enough to sort this out, which I saw you mention on the other thread.
I deliberately left that out, because those types of words are only bolded when granting the ability, and it seemed like too much effort to try and parse the English card text to determine when they should be bold or not. Control over bold and italics has been restored, so hopefully this is good enough.

When I use the CARDNAME command (~) to use the title of a card, it also comes with the uniqueness dot. This is very annoying! Any way you could exempt the uniqueness dot when using this function?
An oversight on my part; it is now fixed.

One of the things I find most useful about Magic Set Editor is the ability to open packs at the touch of a button. There's no other reliable way to get a feel for what your set looks like, and I designed my sets to be draftable anyway. Can we do this for LotR too? I see that there is a way of entering the rarity into card data, and so it must be a fairly simple thing to create some packs. (Personally, I in my sets I think wanted 15 card packs with the same distribution as in MTG - 1/8th R+, 1 R, 3 U and 11 C, but I do believe that 11 card packs were more normal back when there were cards being made?).
Since I don't have any completed sets, I hadn't even tried out this feature yet. Luckily, it's very easy to edit, so there are now 11-card and 15-card boosters available as default. I went with the method that MSE uses for Magic when determining R/R+ rarities; that is, any particular R+ card appears half as often as any particular R card. In Magic, each rare shows up on the sheet twice and each mythic once, so the 7:1 ratio (7 rare packs for every 1 mythic pack) is actually just a byproduct of the number of unique rares and mythics in a given set. If you match Magic's rare:mythic ratio (approximately 7:2), the 7:1 ratio of packs will happen naturally.

July 05, 2013, 08:55:47 AM
Reply #9

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 08:55:47 AM »
Awesome!

Some more comments...

Ringed resistance?

Site template has white bits near the banner at the top. This makes me sad.

More on accents... What about in the italics? The symbols always get screwed up in the italics.

If I'm not much mistaken, the numbering for [Gollum] cards should go according to alphabetical order, regardless if they're Free Peoples or Shadow cards (because they're the same culture, technically).

The reminder text for unhasty is currently incorrect, according to the CRD. Unhasty characters can only be assigned to a skirmish if a [Gandalf] card allows them to. I personally changed it for my sets to any Free Peoples card, not just [Gandalf] cards, but that is not technically correct according to decipher's rules.

What would you be able to do for me if I wanted to make some slightly off-template cards, such as an [Isengard] Free Peoples card?

Thanks,

Thran

July 06, 2013, 07:16:11 PM
Reply #10

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2013, 07:16:11 PM »
Something is weird with the speech marks and apostrophes in the italics, they always seem to go in the wrong direction.

July 06, 2013, 09:22:14 PM
Reply #11

Air Power

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2013, 09:22:14 PM »

The reminder text for unhasty is currently incorrect, according to the CRD. Unhasty characters can only be assigned to a skirmish if a [Gandalf] card allows them to.

Or if they're at their home site, unless that was changed after the Hunters rulebook was printed.
"If the world becomes pagan and perishes, the last man left alive would do well to quote the Iliad and die." -G.K. Chesterton, The Everlasting Man

July 08, 2013, 01:56:35 PM
Reply #12

eomund

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 01:56:35 PM »
Thanks again for the comments, guys! I've added them all to my issues list. At this point, it looks like finding a similar-looking font with full support for special characters is the way to go, at least in the short term.

I'm hoping to be able to spend the day either tomorrow or Wednesday just blanking images, which will include a ringed resistance icon, the Rohan and Dunlending templates, signets, addtional site templates, and fixing up the current site template. I have very little experience blanking images, so I doubt I will be able to get all of that done in one day, but we'll see.

Thanks for the unhasty comments - I have a copy of the CRD, but didn't use it when coming up with the original set of reminder texts. If you know of any cards with reminder text printed on them, please let me know, as I'd like to use that wording where possible.

Now that you mention it, I'm not surprised that the ordering on the [gollum] cards is incorrect; it should be an easy fix.

If you were to make the images for the off-template cards, I should be able to include them with an option on the "Set" screen whether or not to make them available. If you do that, it's very important that all of the pixels line up; if you use the blanks from the template as a basis, things should work out nicely enough. Alternatively, make them larger than the ones that exist in the template, and I can shrink them down to fit the template.

July 09, 2013, 09:26:16 AM
Reply #13

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 09:26:16 AM »
The reminder text for toil doesn't work. Firstly, the word "character" is missing from the text. Secondly, for example for a [Gollum] card with toil, it has the word "Gollum" instead of the culture symbol.

Let me know when there's an updated version!

Thran

July 09, 2013, 09:36:57 AM
Reply #14

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 09:36:57 AM »
Also, what about the [X] symbol?

The bold and italics menu still doesn't work for the sites.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 09:46:04 AM by Thranduil »