LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor (Video Game)  (Read 8230 times)

October 14, 2014, 03:48:34 AM
Reply #15

thetimewarptrio

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
Re: Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor (Video Game)
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2014, 03:48:34 AM »
Anyway, revisiting this topic.

So I wasn't wrong about what I posted earlier, this game is basically an Assassin's Creed skinned game based in Middle Earth.

But wow is it different.

Early positive reviews tempted me to pick up a copy, and when KMart said they'd give me $20 off the price a week after release, I picked it up for my Xbox One.

The controls and movement act exactly like an AC game, with the combat a mix of The Return of the King, the Batman Arkham series, and Assassin's Creed.

Where the game really shines is the entire "Nemesis System", which makes all the bosses unique, and fun to fight. It's been since GTA V that I've played a game this satisfying, as it's cool to see a no-name orc kill you, get promoted, and then rise up the ranks of the orc promotional ladder, only to fight him again later in-game, where he's figured out how to fight you, but you finally taking him down. I've literally pumped my fist and yelled when taking down some of the bosses in the game, finally getting my vengeance after being pounded into the ground too many times, learning how to play the game myself.

As far as the LOTR universe goes, the timeline is rather muddled, and the events that take place are obviously rather non-canonical. I do like an exploration into the world of Middle Earth, especially the places not really touched on by Tolkien, so it's cool to see and play through other parts of the world. I just wish that they had sticked a little closer to canon, making it seem more possible that the events could have conceivably occurred. I also hope that there's an option to explore Minas Morgul as DLC....the one place that I think was mostly left untouched by Tolkien was any exploration and delving into the dead city and Morgul Vale. The evil that sleeps there has always fascinated me.

If there's a sequel to this game..........I hope it's Shadow of Moria, or Shadow of Morgul. Besides Dol Guldur, those are the two places I've wanted badly to explore since becoming a Tolkien fan in early grade school.
If we're gonna play games, I'm gonna need a cup of coffee.

October 14, 2014, 09:25:59 PM
Reply #16

idleninja

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2014, 09:25:59 PM »
As far as the LOTR universe goes, the timeline is rather muddled, and the events that take place are obviously rather non-canonical. I do like an exploration into the world of Middle Earth, especially the places not really touched on by Tolkien, so it's cool to see and play through other parts of the world. I just wish that they had sticked a little closer to canon, making it seem more possible that the events could have conceivably occurred.
I agree, if they already got the LoTR license/brand name why did they not stick (even a little bit more) to canon? Us diehards would be way happier and casuals don't care either way, makes no sense to me. But that's my only complaint about the game.

I also got Shadow of Mordor because I heard it was fun. The nemesis system is one of the best game mechanics I've seen in a long time. Combat feels very much like Batman/AC. I wish archery was bigger but man this game is fun!

If Big D made some promo cards for the game I would be so happy :(

October 15, 2014, 03:12:05 AM
Reply #17

thetimewarptrio

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2014, 03:12:05 AM »
I wish archery was bigger but man this game is fun!

Amen to this. I keep leveling up my bow to try and make it better, but I gave up about halfway through because it didn't do a whole lot. The unlimited throwing daggers you get are way more useful haha.
If we're gonna play games, I'm gonna need a cup of coffee.