LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Smeagol Morgul Orc  (Read 4890 times)

February 25, 2014, 11:21:11 AM
Read 4890 times

ramolnar

• Information Offline
  • Troll
Smeagol Morgul Orc
« on: February 25, 2014, 11:21:11 AM »
I'm posting this deck as an example of a small fellowship deck that needs to be small in size. Although it's 70-13 (84%) on gemp, it's a tier 2 deck. The FP side has too many weak matchups. One Saruman's Power doesn't end this deck, but two will. Regular archery can be a problem, though it is not an auto-loss. Decks that trail and repeat Doorway to Doom are an auto-loss, usually by site 6.

I bid 1 and go first when I can. The Damned Gate-Stream pull is Follow Smeagol if you don't have it, otherwise Poor Wretch. Controlling the site path is very important. Usually I play the 0 sites early. From 7-9, repeating Caras Galadhon will usually win with strength 8-10 Smeagol plus the ring and event pumps.
The shadow is pretty easy to play. Don't be afraid to discard a Nazgul occasionally. Black Lord is there to annoy people. Running a cheaper Otsea instead might be better. In the last few spots, I also have experimented with another Led Astray, Sudden Strike, Flung into the Fray, and Houses of Lamentation.

Ring-bearer: Smeagol, Bearer of Great Secrets
Ring: The One Ring, The Ring of Doom

Adventure deck:
Woody-End
Buckland Homestead
Streets of Bree
Neekerbreekers' Bog
Cavern Entrance
Caras Galadhon
Fords of Isen
North Undeep
Dammed Gate-stream

Free Peoples Draw Deck:
1x Faramir, Son of Denethor
1x Pippin, Hobbit of Some Intelligence
2x Clever Hobbits
2x Naked Waste
4x Nasty
2x Not Listening
1x One Good Turn Deserves Another
3x Still Far Ahead
1x Don't Look at Them
2x Follow Smeagol
2x Gladden Homestead
2x Nice Fish
4x Poor Wretch
4x There's Another Way
1x O Elbereth! Gilthoniel!

Shadow Draw Deck:
1x Gollum, Dark as Darkness
1x Bill Ferny, Swarthy Sneering Fellow
4x Morgul Brute
4x Morgul Destroyer
1x Morgul Squealer
2x The Witch-king, Black Lord
2x Úlairë Cantëa, Faster Than Winds
2x Úlairë Enquëa, Lieutenant of Morgul
2x Úlairë Lemenya, Eternally Threatening
2x Úlairë Nelya, Third of the Nine Riders
3x Úlairë Nertëa, Dark Horseman
4x Captured by the Ring
1x Led Astray
1x Evil-smelling Fens
2x Saruman, Servant of Sauron

March 04, 2014, 02:39:04 PM
Reply #1

Carl333

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
  • "But it is not this day. This day we fight!"
Re: Smeagol Morgul Orc
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 02:39:04 PM »
This is the first deck I have ever seen Smeagol BoGS used successfully.  In all of the other decks people just use Smeagol AH.  Good Job!
"Do you ever wonder why we are here?  Maybe you're here because it is the only place you fit in.  Maybe you're here because you have nowhere else to go.  Maybe you're here because deep down, you want to be here.  It doesn't matter why you're here.  All that matters is that you are here!"

February 07, 2016, 09:22:06 PM
Reply #2

ramolnar

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 09:22:06 PM »
I'm bumping this because I just went 11-2 in a league, even beating a Madril deck! Okay, it didn't start Madril - it started Denethor and got Madril at site 3. Also, I didn't see any Powerful Guide decks, which are real problems because they run multiple races in the Fellowship. Grimbeorn and Gandalf turn off Nertea, which removes a major path to victory. I'd still call this Tier 2 - because I think there are better decks. This deck is almost never comfortable, because it's fragile. Even if I'm controlling the site path, one Nelya takes away Caras Galadhon and I get swarmed. Archery is less of a problem, because I can generally control my advance - and Neekerbreekers' Bog and North Undeep can often keep archery down. Sure, there are archery losses, but less than I thought.

I take back what I said about the Shadow being easy to play - it's not. Most of the time, I need to attack the Ringbearer, and then involves sequencing Gollum Dark as Darkness, Morgul Brute, Morgul Destroyer, and many things. This Shadow is about tricks. Can I recycle Nertea against mono-race fellowships? Can I use Cantea to remove a vitality-adding possession? (People, against Nazgul you should NEVER use a vitality-adding possession or condition on the Ringbearer. I'll figure out a way to remove it.) Can I explode with an Enquea against someone who doesn't think it's coming? This deck is never dull - one of the reasons I like playing it.

February 08, 2016, 01:53:32 PM
Reply #3

Shelobplayer

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 01:53:32 PM »
Powerful Guide is not popular anymore I guess because way too many people started playing Too Great and Terrible. In my BOGS/Faramir deck I actually played Great Shield to battle archery, and it was very valueable in those games (although I did setup with Gamling and New Chapter... getting the shield was way easier).

I'd suggest running some copies of Not Easily Avoided, fetching a Still Far Ahead and whatever esle you would need in a shadow phase where your only choices are clogging your hand or throwing minions into their deaths is really good.