LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Expanded Meta (Top Tier and/or Commonly Seen Deck Strategies)  (Read 41390 times)

September 01, 2014, 12:47:28 PM
Reply #30

Shelobplayer

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
Re: Expanded Meta (Top Tier and/or Commonly Seen Deck Strategies)
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2014, 12:47:28 PM »
double post, sry, wanted to edit

September 01, 2014, 06:18:05 PM
Reply #31

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2014, 06:18:05 PM »
I'll work on some sample lists and post them later on when I'm comfortable with them. Both are fairly powerful strategies.

Excellent, looking forward to seeing them!

As an incentive to get more people to rate these strategies, I will give 1 gold to anyone who submits a voting card (found at the bottom of Post #1) rating the strategies. So far only Shelobplayer and myself have attempted to rate the strategies! More ratings please!
"I would have followed you, my brother... my captain... my king." - Boromir

September 01, 2014, 09:05:35 PM
Reply #32

dmaz

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Global Mod
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2014, 09:05:35 PM »
Yes, it's about time I rated all of these. While I haven't played against all of them, I've at least seen them, or a very close variation to each one. I'll try to give any feedback from things I remember.

[Gandalf]
Powerful Guide: 4.5
I've lost to this deck many times, the reason I can't give it a full 5 though is because it seems to be weak to any kind of wounding outside of the skirmish phase. I do agree that if are building any kind of shadow that is supposed to do its business during the skirmish phase, you are either toast or will have a VERY hard row to hoe. However, massive archery, combined with heavy site manipulation can overcome the decent vitality and three traveled leaders that this deck probably packs (imo ;) )

Bearer of Obligation: 3.5
I've both beaten and lost to this kind of deck. I think it has potential when they can get set up very fast. Whereas Powerful Guide generally runs a heavy card-pool, I've seen a BoO deck that was relatively light and set itself up very quickly. You don't need too many cards to make it work, I think...

G For Grand Tanks: 2
I wish I could give this more credit...but I beat it before using a simple nazgul cycle deck while testing a weird fellowship side. He was also using that condition that uses tokens from exertions to boost strength in skirmishes...If you pack Grima's/Orthanc Champion+Saruman's Power, you can just run over the fellowship with just basic Nazgul. The Witch King with Toil works nicely.

Snuffler Support: 1
Never played this one...but it seems like any deck that uses a response Ring could just walk through this, right?

Ent Horde: 4
I used to play this fellowship. I'm going to give it a 4 because I feel like it can be made strong enough to fight a lot of the downsides you might encounter. I didn't play a very huge deck so I was able to get it fully set up almost every time by site 3. If you are able to just walk without adding any other twilight during fellowship (I didn't play Mellon!) your opponent doesn't really have enough twilight to make best use of cards like Morgul Squealer or  Ulaire Enquea, Sixth of the Nine Riders. You just pick and choose which guys to kill off and keep trucking. I think it's a solid strategy compared to things like the Gil-Galad looping as you can build the deck to rely on 0 condition and 0 possessions. It's always nice creating dead cards for your opponent's shadow.

[Elven]
Telepathy: 3
It always seems like some of these try to get a little too fancy for their own good, and reach too far into other strategies. Also, whereas pure Telepathy would just focus on healing and winning skirmishes, any shadow that dances around their strengths would just wreak havoc.

Archery: 1.5
Maybe I'm being too harsh on this deck...I just feel like there's A LOT of shadows that just crap all over it.
In general you aren't going to get your optimal 8 - 10 archery piling out there every move. From what I've seen, at best, these decks can put out a solid 6 or 7 archery surprisingly quickly if they are built well. However they won't if you are up against condition hate, OR if your opponent just loves to absorb it. There are a lot of solid decks with Enduring minions, not to mention corruption. There are many shadows that will actually love the fact that they have heavy archery. Shelob just eats it up.

Gil-galad Looping: 4
If your shadow side commands threats even fairly well, these decks don't actually give you much trouble, though it is strong.

The Twins: 2.5
These seem to try to combine with Telepathy quite often, but get lost against any shadow that doesn't care about winning skirmishes. Corruption, direct wounding, archery, site manipulation, swarm bombs...take your pick.

Elf Discard: 3
I guess it gets a three just because it combines elements of Gil-galad's deck. To me, it's still a "gimmick" deck...it tries to accomplish it's win indirectly (discarding). I say it's more effective to go for the throat.

[Gondor]
Token Tanks: 3
I really like the idea, and it has potential, but the weaknesses you already mentioned at this point are something to be overcome.

Madril: 5
One of the most powerful, imo. This deck has serious moving power, and is flexible to be combined with Gandalf/others to cover its weaknesses. I guess its versatility combined with raw power is why I gave it such a high score.

Three Hunters: 1
Cute idea...just doesn't cut the mustard.

Wraiths: 1.5
I gave it slightly higher than 1...I think that it DOES perform well against specific shadows, as opposed to just general good performance.

Knights: 3
Even when up against condition hate, the ones I've seen are so heavy in fortifications, and have the ability to play from discard sometimes, that they can usually cycle and keep tanking. A decent, solid deck.

Last Ruling Steward: 3.5
Seems extremely strong from what I've seen. I can't put it on the same level as some other decks though because the deck would seem to fall apart if you just kill Denethor. I guess same could be said about Madril, BUT Madril has the ability to completely dispose of threatening minions in maneuver as opposed to simply exerting them.

Driven By Need: 3

Gondor Choke: 2
I've tried this with Faramir RB as well as a few other ways. If you prepare for Grima you can do fairly decent. It does lack running power sometimes.

[Rohan]
Merry Men: 3
Annoying as heck. Cool solid strategy. Well balanced though weak to condition hate. If your racks get discarded you still have decently strong companions to truck on.

Horn Filter: 2.5
Works...but all your opponent needs to do is pack 1 of 3 simple sites (1 of which is very popular) to give you some serious trouble. I really don't like decks that completely fall apart if your opponent just decides to include a certain site.

Rohan Hunters: 3
In general, just a solid base strategy. You aren't necessarily relying too much on anything but your characters' power. Hunters can double move sometimes, and a lot of the later Rohan possessions are pretty strong. Doesn't have a certain "Super-Powered" strategy like Madril, but still beefy.

[Dwarven]
Dwarf Choke: 4.5
I find this deck to be hard to overcome if you don't draw the right cards with your shadow. I find I'm always scrounging for my Gollum/Shelob and my Grima/Saruman's Power. They can set up Preparations with Slacked Thirsts to prepare for Grima, and you need to have a Saruman's Power first to stop that. In general you lose a lot of time at sites 4 and 5 with your shadow just trying to break through. Tough deck for sure.

Dwarf Discard: 3
I'm generally happy when my opponent takes up space in his deck dedicated to discarding. I want to give the strategy by itself a 2, but because it's already paired with cards from such a strong strategy (Dwarf Choke), it needs to be recognized a little.

Condition Dwarfs: 3

Counter of Foes: 1
I love seeing Counter of Foes' face sputter and spew itself into the dead pile in the Movie sealed after he gets Grima'd or Saruman's Powered. There are much smarter ways to get companions to 20+ strength.

Lively Combatant: 2

[Shire]
Hobbit Hospital: 4
Pretty darn strong. You do need an early Saruman's Power to cripple some of the conditions before they get too many Scourings out. Versatile shadows can at least slow it down, but it's a tough one.

Brave Decoy: 2.5
Cool deck. Like you said, can be shut down with the right site.

Hobbit Alliance: 2

Shadowplay: 3

No Visitors: 3
Doesn't always need the followers to work for one or two sites...but if your opponent is playing the right sites and has site manipulation you will end up with dead hobbits.

[Gollum]
Bearer of Great Secrets: 3
A little stronger than some strategies...but can really crap the bed against certain shadows. That's the problem with some of these choke/tank up the ringbearer deck...if your opponent gets lucky at one site and breaks through your defense, there is nothing to fall back on...

Smeagol Choke: 3.5
Stronger than Smeagol RB in my opinion just for the fact that you have some other companions that can do some of the fighting in a pinch.

Shadow to come after lunch.

September 01, 2014, 11:01:08 PM
Reply #33

dmaz

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Global Mod
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2014, 11:01:08 PM »
[Gollum]
Condition Ninja Gollum: 4
Pretty strong...just barely gave this a 4 though. I think it's a little stronger in Movie.

Event Ninja Gollum: 3
Any versatile Fellowship that has healing mechanics or site control mechanics can do decent against this.

Sudden Strike: 5
The nastiest and most versatile of all of the Gollum decks.

Little Snuffler: 2
Kind of already described why I think this is bad in the fellowship side of it

[Dunland]
Freca Site Control: 1.5
Strong, but too many of the top tier fellowships can trounce this. Even if you get 5 sites under control, most of the top tier fellowships will STILL walk through all of your beefed up minions.

[Wraith]
Forest Nazguls: 4.5
Imo, could be the best option for Nazgul in expanded...mainly because it has heavy site manipulation, which in turn benefits the strategy of the deck. You can put out a lot of Nazgul with each move.

Enduring Nazgul: 3

Twilight Nazgul: 1.5
I wish they could work better in Expanded...

Fierce Nazgul: 3.5
Since this category is broad, I want to give it almost a 4...there are many Nazgul builds that can be pretty versatile and do a lot of damage...Choke does still hurt them though.

Morcs: 2
I rated this one a little lower than the others because it can be stopped almost dead in its tracks by both 1. Game Text/site control, or 2. Mass healing/burden removal or even threat control. I feel like almost any decent Expanded deck out there touches on at least one of these, which would hinder this shadow quite a bit.

[Moria]
Goblin Armory: 2.5
Eeks it out above a 2 just because it cycles so well.

Fool of a Took!: 3.5
I want to be able to give my own idea a 4 but not until I've worked out the bugs :) This deck went 8-2 in the Expanded league and 7-3 in casual, so it's definitely got something to it. I'm going to start from scratch with it again, this time including the balrog's whip that lets you reveal the FP hand and discard all of their low cost events  :twisted:....if I can do that I think its only big weakness would be Powerful Guide.

Tentacles: 2
The strategy is cool, and maybe it works amazing when combined with the right fellowship...but just to judge it on it's own power as a shadow side, I don't see it standing up well to a lot of these tier 1 fellowships. Many of these strong fellowships pack a lot of Saved from the Fire...you don't want to lose just because your opponent can burn his least useful companion and run...

Lost to the Goblins: 2.5
This bomb is actually quite harder to set up than the Sandyman Bomb. Fool of a Took! let's you pull everything that's a minion into your hand with no limit. This can get huge. With Lost to the Goblins you need 3 or maybe even 4 in hand to get it to work. That and you'll need 8 - 10 minions (or more) on your deck. I've been able to win with only 6 or 7 (playing the rest from hand) with the Fool of a Took! version. I've tried it and don't see it being very capable.

The Balrog: 3.5
I think beatdown decks are solid. This is a good beatdown deck.

[Orc]
Demoralized Bomb: 4
I wish I had kept the replay (maybe I have it I'll have to look) of my Ent Horde deck going up against a Demoralized Bomb. Around site 7 or 8 he got the full bomb to go off in all its glory. I still survived due to the burden for +3 ring. For this deck to work it also needs to invest heavily in site control...at which point it becomes hard to balance. Nice deck, but as its a bomb, it can be prepared for.

Warg Super Swarm: 4.5
Really tough shadow to go up against, whatever you play. The added dynamics that the wargs give for race hate is nice too.

Troll Swarm: 3

Bound to Its Fate: 3.5

Orc Direct Wounding: 3
Hurts...but basic site manipulation can make quick work of them if you have a strong base strength fellowship.

Goblin Hordes: 3

Demoralized Rapid Reloading: 2.5
There's a difference between a Rainbow Swiss Army Knife shadow (which uses a large base pool of Gollum cards to pull magic bullet minions), and a combo deck. Combo decks where cultures mix are sometimes crappy in their draws.

[Raider]
Corsairs: 3.5
Just barely a 3.5 and not a 4...a beefed up fellowship can handle a fierce Castamir fatty no problem if he only exerts once or twice. The downside to their strength being enduring is that any kind of direct wounding in maneuver or archery will take them down . I'd like my strong minions to have enough vitality to fight, thank you very much.

Southron Direct Wounding: 4
A little nastier than Corsairs and you have more control.

Beasterlings: 4
These are strong and annoying, even if you are able to remove the burdens every turn. It's fairly easy for you to have a little threat control with the Raider culture, so using GOTM to remove burdens might prove troublesome for your opponent's fellowship.

Easterling Corsairs: 3

[Men]
Skull Men Super Archery: 3.5
Strong lasting power, also a fair number of weaknesses. Decent.

Evil Men Lurkers: 2
When combined with Stragglers, it can do some damage...it would definitely struggle against any top tier fellowship though.

Hard Core Site Control: 4
After playtesting this a little more, I'm convinced that this could be the fastest and most reliable form of site control in Expanded. When Gollum keeps bringing back either Southron Archer, White Hand Invader, or Gothmog (whichever you need), and ships of great draught can cycle your southron archers back in...this can deal out A LOT of wounds every site. It's biggest weakness is massive site liberation, so if for some reason you are up against a Rohan deck that incorporates a lot of that, you might have difficulty. However, often times I've been sitting there, site after site, with the possibility of controlling 3 or 4 sites, but I already have as many as I can have...I do think Hobbit Hospital could give this deck a run for its money, if he is using a Ring that can absorb archery.
Also I feel like a weakness could be the deck itself if your draws are unbalanced :/ At least ships helps a little to dump the southrons and get them back!

[Isengard]
Wizard Conditions: 2.5
Fun to play, often strong. So many Expanded decks play Gandalf and these decks can really harass him. It is very weak to any condition control.

Uruk Site Control: 2
There are a lot of nice Uruk cards that punish your opponent big-time when you already have a site under control...unfortunately the mechanics for Uruks getting sites under control leave a lot to be desired...

Uruk Swarm: 2

Isengard Wargs: 1.5
A good Towers or TS strategy sometimes....really don't think this can hold up in Expanded though.

[Uruk]
Uruk Hunters: 3.5
These can be tough...when they stick to simply fighting and don't rely on too many events or conditions they pack a big punch.

Assignment Uruks: 3
This gave me a chance to do a little research as it's the once deck out of these I've either never played or watched. Seems decent.

Besiegers: 3
I was between 3 and 3.5 for this one. I went with 3 just because I've had so many games where I've just walked right through them after discarding all of their conditions just twice. The deck is almost push-over if you keep them from using their conditions. A couple strength 16 Trolls that are fierce are not really a big deal if you have any kind of decent fellowship.

Tracker Orcs: 3.5
Their use of direct wounding is often brutal in Expanded when splashed with a little bit of site manipulation. If you can keep the wounds either on people, or keep them exerting/getting wounded, your Hates will pack way more punch than they ever did FotR through Movie block.

Sauron Discard: 2
In my experience you can usually outrun these before they get you too low. Especially in Expanded...these decks are usually large...

Orc Bowmen Direct Wounding: 2
Competitive in maybe FotR - TS...I don't think this can hold up at all in Expanded. Simple condition control cleans their clock.

I'm glad I went through and did this...it's motivating me to play-test my original ideas as well as develop some other ones I haven't listed yet here. :)

September 02, 2014, 10:39:44 AM
Reply #34

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2014, 10:39:44 AM »
Yes, it's about time I rated all of these. While I haven't played against all of them, I've at least seen them, or a very close variation to each one. I'll try to give any feedback from things I remember.

Thanks a lot, dmaz! You really took some extra effort addressing these in detail, so I gave you 2 gold instead of just 1. Your ratings have now been averaged in with the numbers in Post #1. Since you gave me fractional ratings, I decided to switch the whole thing over to the metric system, and converted all ratings to a 10-point scale! With a total of three people rating these strategies so far, here's how we think they fair, from best to worst:

FREE PEOPLES

Tier 1:
Powerful Guide
-Rating: *********`9.67
Gil-galad Looping
-Rating: *********`9.33
Madril

Tier 2:
Dwarf Choke
-Rating: *******`7.67
Smeagol Choke
Last Ruling Steward
-Rating: *******`7.5
Hobbit Hospital
-Rating: *******`7.33
Bearer of Great Secrets
-Rating: *******`7.33
Ent Horde
-Rating: *******7
Elf Discard
Condition Dwarfs
-Rating: ******`6.67

About Average:
Bearer of Obligation
-Rating: ******`6.33
Horn Filter
Telepathy
-Rating: ******6
Driven by Need
Dwarf Discard
The Twins
-Rating: *****`5.67
G for Grand Tanks
-Rating: *****`5.33
Token Tanks
Knights
Merry Men
Rohan Hunters
Shadowplay
No Visitors
Gondor Choke
-Rating: *****5
Brave Decoy
Hobbit Alliance
-Rating: ****`4.67

Kinda Suck:
Lively Combatant
-Rating: ****4
Archery
-Rating: ***`3.67
Wraiths
-Rating: **`2.33
Snuffler Support
-Rating: **2
Three Hunters
-Rating: *`1.33
Counter of Foes
-Rating: *1

SHADOW

Tier 1:
Sudden Strike
-Rating: **********10
Demoralized Bomb
Forest Nazgul
-Rating: *********9
Warg Super Swarm
-Rating: *********9
Condition Ninja Gollum
-Rating: ********8
Southron Direct Wounding
Hard Core Site Control

Tier 2:
Bound to Its Fate
Corsairs
Fierce Nazgul
Fool of a Took!
Skull Men Super Archery
Uruk Hunters
Event Ninja Gollum
Enduring Nazgul
Orc Direct Wounding
Beasterlings
Besiegers
Tracker Orcs

About Average:
The Balrog
-Rating: ******`6.5
Lost to the Goblins
Constantly Threatening
Tentacles
Troll Swarm
Assignment Uruks
Goblin Hordes
-Rating: *****`5.5
Demoralized Rapid Reload
-Rating: *****`5.5
Little Snuffler
Morcs
Goblin Armory
Wizard Conditions
Easterling Corsairs
Orc Bowmen Direct Wounding

Kinda Suck:
Evil Men Lurkers
Uruk Site Control
Uruk Swarm
Sauron Discard
Twilight Nazgul
-Rating: ***`3.5
Freca Site Control
-Rating: ***3
Isengard Wargs
-Rating: **`2.5

Of course, this is with only three people voting, these ratings could change quite a bit once we have a larger sample size of respondents.

I've added an additional strategy to Post #1: Constantly Threatening.

I'll respond to the rest of your posts, dmaz, once I get my thoughts in order. :) You've said alot.

Post #1 has been cleaned up and updated.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 10:50:05 AM by sgtdraino »

September 03, 2014, 07:17:42 AM
Reply #35

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2014, 07:17:42 AM »
[Gandalf]
Powerful Guide: 4.5
I've lost to this deck many times, the reason I can't give it a full 5 though is because it seems to be weak to any kind of wounding outside of the skirmish phase. I do agree that if are building any kind of shadow that is supposed to do its business during the skirmish phase, you are either toast or will have a VERY hard row to hoe. However, massive archery, combined with heavy site manipulation can overcome the decent vitality and three traveled leaders that this deck probably packs (imo ;) )

You may be right about massive Archery. But I can tell you that maneuver wounding tends to not be as effective, as he'll just prevent wounds and kill your guys with spells, or cancel their special abilities with Perspective.

Bearer of Obligation: 3.5
I've both beaten and lost to this kind of deck. I think it has potential when they can get set up very fast. Whereas Powerful Guide generally runs a heavy card-pool, I've seen a BoO deck that was relatively light and set itself up very quickly. You don't need too many cards to make it work, I think...

The downside of adding burdens every time you move seems really steep, but I've seen several players use a deck like this extremely effectively. The advantages are numerous: You get to start with several good characters in addition to Gandalf, your Ring-bearer is hard to overwhelm but has no skirmish penalty, and you can pile stuff on him and he can't be targeted by Grima. As long as you're able to play the movement penalty most of the time, you should be fine. My strategy against these decks used to be that I just wouldn't play anything, and let them move themselves to corruption... but these days it seems like they are always pretty much ready to discard the cards and prevent the burdens.

G For Grand Tanks: 2
I wish I could give this more credit...but I beat it before using a simple nazgul cycle deck while testing a weird fellowship side. He was also using that condition that uses tokens from exertions to boost strength in skirmishes...If you pack Grima's/Orthanc Champion+Saruman's Power, you can just run over the fellowship with just basic Nazgul. The Witch King with Toil works nicely.

It's got two major weak points in that if you either kill Gandalf or bomb his conditions, he's severely crippled. If I get bad draws these decks can be a problem for me... but generally not.

Snuffler Support: 1
Never played this one...but it seems like any deck that uses a response Ring could just walk through this, right?

Right. Granted, most decks don't... but enough of them do that I don't really see this as a very good strategy. I'd think you'd lose every 3rd or 4th game at least, and it doesn't seem to me like a very fun deck to play with. It's just one big gimmick.

Ent Horde: 4
I used to play this fellowship. I'm going to give it a 4 because I feel like it can be made strong enough to fight a lot of the downsides you might encounter. I didn't play a very huge deck so I was able to get it fully set up almost every time by site 3. If you are able to just walk without adding any other twilight during fellowship (I didn't play Mellon!) your opponent doesn't really have enough twilight to make best use of cards like Morgul Squealer or  Ulaire Enquea, Sixth of the Nine Riders. You just pick and choose which guys to kill off and keep trucking. I think it's a solid strategy compared to things like the Gil-Galad looping as you can build the deck to rely on 0 condition and 0 possessions. It's always nice creating dead cards for your opponent's shadow.

Most of the Ent Horde decks I encounter still seem to pile in considerable twilight. They play Gandalf, put out conditions, SFTF, etc. Now, probably the smartest way to go, is to do what you were saying: Don't play anything else that costs any twilight except for events. I do remember getting really clobbered by an Ent Horde/Mellon! deck one time, though. :)

[Elven]
Telepathy: 3
It always seems like some of these try to get a little too fancy for their own good, and reach too far into other strategies. Also, whereas pure Telepathy would just focus on healing and winning skirmishes, any shadow that dances around their strengths would just wreak havoc.

Of course the keystone with many telepathy decks is Manager of Wizards + Gil-galad + Forearmed. I generally have found these quite challenging. The key to beating them seems to be to either disable or kill Manager of Wizards.

Archery: 1.5
Maybe I'm being too harsh on this deck...I just feel like there's A LOT of shadows that just crap all over it.
In general you aren't going to get your optimal 8 - 10 archery piling out there every move. From what I've seen, at best, these decks can put out a solid 6 or 7 archery surprisingly quickly if they are built well. However they won't if you are up against condition hate, OR if your opponent just loves to absorb it. There are a lot of solid decks with Enduring minions, not to mention corruption. There are many shadows that will actually love the fact that they have heavy archery. Shelob just eats it up.

Archery decks can be powerful, but generally IMO aren't very dependable. Most of them rely on various conditions in the support area that up the Archery total... and once you bomb those they're in trouble.

Gil-galad Looping: 4
If your shadow side commands threats even fairly well, these decks don't actually give you much trouble, though it is strong.

A properly set up Gil-galad Loop can remove all threats in Regroup.

The Twins: 2.5
These seem to try to combine with Telepathy quite often, but get lost against any shadow that doesn't care about winning skirmishes. Corruption, direct wounding, archery, site manipulation, swarm bombs...take your pick.

They tend to be a challenge for me, but that's because I mostly kill with big powerful minions (which the Twins can beat) or shotgun Enquea (and the Twins often don't go over 5 companions). I could see a dedicated direct wounding deck taking them out pretty quick, though.

Elf Discard: 3
I guess it gets a three just because it combines elements of Gil-galad's deck. To me, it's still a "gimmick" deck...it tries to accomplish it's win indirectly (discarding). I say it's more effective to go for the throat.

In my experience these don't technically try to accomplish wins directly through discarding. The recycling Ancient Enmity is moreso intended to cripple any sort of strategy you have, because it nails the cards you value the most (the ones in your hand) rather than random cards off the draw deck. I've had these routinely dump Pippin, Wearer of Black and Silver, OGTDA, and other useful things out of my hand that I had been counting on to get me through the game. Once you get dinged by 3 or 4 recycled Ancient Enmity, you get to the point where you don't want to play any minions that can't definitely win the skirmish, because then you lose all the cards in your hand. But if you don't play minions, they walk right over you. So it creates a pretty effective catch-22 scenario.

[Gondor]
Token Tanks: 3
I really like the idea, and it has potential, but the weaknesses you already mentioned at this point are something to be overcome.

Yep. Any deck that depends on conditions, yet has no effective way to protect those conditions, is at a serious disadvantage in Expanded Format, IMO.

Madril: 5
One of the most powerful, imo. This deck has serious moving power, and is flexible to be combined with Gandalf/others to cover its weaknesses. I guess its versatility combined with raw power is why I gave it such a high score.

It takes a LOT of work to make Madril truly effective. It's like I've said before, I stock 3x Ships of Great Draught in my deck, and I can't remember the last time I lost to a Madril deck. There are so many ways around him, and most of those ways are pretty easy to pull off. When I go up against Madril, Madril is usually dead by Site 3. Now, of course I play a Madril deck myself, and it generally takes quite a bit more than Ships of Great Draught to beat me... but that's only because beating Madril does not equate to beating me. The vast majority of Madril decks out there rely so much on Madril that, once he's out of the picture, the deck falls quite quickly. That is not the case for me. It will quite likely slow me down, but it's not an automatic win.

Three Hunters: 1
Cute idea...just doesn't cut the mustard.

Here again, too dependent on conditions that they can't protect... with the added disadvantage of also being prone to Wormtongue. Maybe these guys should add Some Wise Guide in?

Wraiths: 1.5
I gave it slightly higher than 1...I think that it DOES perform well against specific shadows, as opposed to just general good performance.

Same problem as above. They really need their condition that makes them unkillable, but one well-placed condition bomb ruins their day.

Knights: 3
Even when up against condition hate, the ones I've seen are so heavy in fortifications, and have the ability to play from discard sometimes, that they can usually cycle and keep tanking. A decent, solid deck.

For me, it's once again the same problem as above. They can only recycle their conditions with other conditions, so if you bomb them all at once, it's usually game over.

Last Ruling Steward: 3.5
Seems extremely strong from what I've seen. I can't put it on the same level as some other decks though because the deck would seem to fall apart if you just kill Denethor. I guess same could be said about Madril, BUT Madril has the ability to completely dispose of threatening minions in maneuver as opposed to simply exerting them.

In practice I find it very difficult to target Denethor specifically, because he'll exhaust any guy that might possibly hurt him, and then finish that guy off (if necessary) with directed Archery. Tough deck.

Gondor Choke: 2
I've tried this with Faramir RB as well as a few other ways. If you prepare for Grima you can do fairly decent. It does lack running power sometimes.

Severely disadvantaged against Super Archery and Dark Horseman.

[Rohan]
Merry Men: 3
Annoying as heck. Cool solid strategy. Well balanced though weak to condition hate. If your racks get discarded you still have decently strong companions to truck on.

Every time I try to build one of these, I always end up with, like, 200 cards. I don't know how they fit all their stuff into them! But I've seen some effective ones!

Horn Filter: 2.5
Works...but all your opponent needs to do is pack 1 of 3 simple sites (1 of which is very popular) to give you some serious trouble. I really don't like decks that completely fall apart if your opponent just decides to include a certain site.

It's funny, I remember when I (and others) viewed this as the most broken strategy in Expanded Format, and now it looks like we all regard it as pretty mediocre!

Rohan Hunters: 3
In general, just a solid base strategy. You aren't necessarily relying too much on anything but your characters' power. Hunters can double move sometimes, and a lot of the later Rohan possessions are pretty strong. Doesn't have a certain "Super-Powered" strategy like Madril, but still beefy.

These guys can be surprisingly strong, IMO. And they gain some really powerful abilities by assigning guys to the Ring-bearer. Shelobplayer's deck is excellent, though I still feel like there may be room for improvement. Perhaps I should copy his deck and play with it myself for a while. :)

[Dwarven]
Dwarf Choke: 4.5
I find this deck to be hard to overcome if you don't draw the right cards with your shadow. I find I'm always scrounging for my Gollum/Shelob and my Grima/Saruman's Power. They can set up Preparations with Slacked Thirsts to prepare for Grima, and you need to have a Saruman's Power first to stop that. In general you lose a lot of time at sites 4 and 5 with your shadow just trying to break through. Tough deck for sure.

I'm surprised you guys haven't rated this one higher. Yes, if they're just running a few Dwarfs they tend to fall to Dark Horseman... but the smart ones will run at least one other guy, like Smeagol or Gandalf, and then they become a lot harder to corrupt.

Dwarf Discard: 3
I'm generally happy when my opponent takes up space in his deck dedicated to discarding. I want to give the strategy by itself a 2, but because it's already paired with cards from such a strong strategy (Dwarf Choke), it needs to be recognized a little.

Yep, I will often see this paired with Dwarf Choke. I was tempted to lump them together, but I do occasionally see Dwarf Choke decks that don't really dedicate to discard, and/or bigger Dwarf fellowships that do discard.

Condition Dwarfs: 3

I kinda wish you'd commented on this one. I think it's pretty strong! probably the best angle is to resist the temptation to use Gimli as Ring-bearer, and go with Gimli, Feared Axeman. I've seen these things pull of some pretty crazy stuff with their conditions! Sure there's the usual heal-every-dwarf-every-time-they-move, but once I saw a HUGE Realm of the Dwarrowdelf deck, and he'd just keep discarding cards until he won the skirmish!

Counter of Foes: 1
I love seeing Counter of Foes' face sputter and spew itself into the dead pile in the Movie sealed after he gets Grima'd or Saruman's Powered. There are much smarter ways to get companions to 20+ strength.

This. Anything sensitive to condition bombs is at a disadvantage in Expanded.

[Shire]
Hobbit Hospital: 4
Pretty darn strong. You do need an early Saruman's Power to cripple some of the conditions before they get too many Scourings out. Versatile shadows can at least slow it down, but it's a tough one.

An early Dark Horseman or Mauhur, Relentless Hunter can also ruin their day. Merry, Friend to Sam tends to be pretty key to this deck, followed by Bilbo, Aged Ring-bearer. Take them out in that order, and its usually only a matter of time.

Brave Decoy: 2.5
Cool deck. Like you said, can be shut down with the right site.

The obvious solution being: Don't let your opponent dictate what site you end up on. Maybe mix it with some Smeagol and/or Gandalf site manipulation, and throw in G for Grand for an even more pumped Pippin.

Shadowplay: 3

I think these can be really challenging, especially if they're protecting their conditions. They can choke pretty well, too.

No Visitors: 3
Doesn't always need the followers to work for one or two sites...but if your opponent is playing the right sites and has site manipulation you will end up with dead hobbits.

Well, the nasty thing about No Visitors, is that stuff like Cavern Entrance doesn't work against that. You pretty much need to skip Maneuver to stop his followers, and he probably won't give you enough twilight to play The Balrog.

Bearer of Great Secrets: 3
A little stronger than some strategies...but can really crap the bed against certain shadows. That's the problem with some of these choke/tank up the ringbearer deck...if your opponent gets lucky at one site and breaks through your defense, there is nothing to fall back on...

I've found this one to be pretty strong when I'm playing against it... but it might just be strong against my deck. I haven't tried to play it much myself. Ditto for Smeagol Choke. The ability to save up all those events he can play from discard at the very end is so often very hard to get past.

Condition Ninja Gollum: 4
Pretty strong...just barely gave this a 4 though. I think it's a little stronger in Movie.

I'm curious, why do you think it's stronger in Movie? In Expanded they've got Deceit, but in Movie those conditions are unprotected, are they not?

Event Ninja Gollum: 3
Any versatile Fellowship that has healing mechanics or site control mechanics can do decent against this.

Well, the tricky bits are the surprises, that generally happen either in Shadow or Regroup. Stuff like Horribly Strong, Unseen Foe, and You're a Liar and a Thief, grabbed with Not Easily Avoided, and recycled with Incited.

Sudden Strike: 5
The nastiest and most versatile of all of the Gollum decks.

Heh heh :)

[Dunland]
Freca Site Control: 1.5
Strong, but too many of the top tier fellowships can trounce this. Even if you get 5 sites under control, most of the top tier fellowships will STILL walk through all of your beefed up minions.

I think the key to effectiveness with this is Over the Isen. All you need is one site under control, and then you can pick and choose who gets assigned where.

[Wraith]
Forest Nazguls: 4.5
Imo, could be the best option for Nazgul in expanded...mainly because it has heavy site manipulation, which in turn benefits the strategy of the deck. You can put out a lot of Nazgul with each move.

Yep. It often amazes me how many fierce powerful guys they can spew out! My Madril deck often finds these to be the biggest challenge, not because of any clever way around Madril, but simply because they play out too many powerful fierce guys for me to handle.

[Moria]
Goblin Armory: 2.5
Eeks it out above a 2 just because it cycles so well.

I'm amazed this strategy is as popular as it is in Expanded, considering how ineffective I find it to be. I'm also amazed at how few of these seem to pack in The Balrog. I wonder if maybe a lot of players who use this, are bringing it in from Fellowship because it's what they're familiar with?

Fool of a Took!: 3.5
I want to be able to give my own idea a 4 but not until I've worked out the bugs :) This deck went 8-2 in the Expanded league and 7-3 in casual, so it's definitely got something to it. I'm going to start from scratch with it again, this time including the balrog's whip that lets you reveal the FP hand and discard all of their low cost events  :twisted:....if I can do that I think its only big weakness would be Powerful Guide.

I feel like there should be some way to improve it... but I can't think of one at the moment.

Tentacles: 2
The strategy is cool, and maybe it works amazing when combined with the right fellowship...but just to judge it on it's own power as a shadow side, I don't see it standing up well to a lot of these tier 1 fellowships. Many of these strong fellowships pack a lot of Saved from the Fire...you don't want to lose just because your opponent can burn his least useful companion and run...

I still think you're underestimating the deviousness of The Number Must Be Few combo. Sure he can potentially burn a guy... but then you have fewer guys and can more easily get swarmed, especially at the later sites.

Lost to the Goblins: 2.5
This bomb is actually quite harder to set up than the Sandyman Bomb. Fool of a Took! let's you pull everything that's a minion into your hand with no limit. This can get huge. With Lost to the Goblins you need 3 or maybe even 4 in hand to get it to work. That and you'll need 8 - 10 minions (or more) on your deck. I've been able to win with only 6 or 7 (playing the rest from hand) with the Fool of a Took! version. I've tried it and don't see it being very capable.

I've seen these set themselves up pretty effectively using a Horn filter. The rest of the deck is just Moria Shadow cards and Gollum, Dark as Darkness. Then they just start cycling, putting stuff on the bottom with Goblin Sneak, Host of Thousands, recycled with Host of Moria. Once they get 12 cards on the bottom, they just draw and cycle until they've got all four Lost to the Goblins, three Moria Minions, and Gollum, Dark as Darkness. In theory, this will always work, it's just a matter of drawing until you've got it. Of course, still like Wise Guide can really kick it in the teeth.

Demoralized Bomb: 4
I wish I had kept the replay (maybe I have it I'll have to look) of my Ent Horde deck going up against a Demoralized Bomb. Around site 7 or 8 he got the full bomb to go off in all its glory. I still survived due to the burden for +3 ring. For this deck to work it also needs to invest heavily in site control...at which point it becomes hard to balance. Nice deck, but as its a bomb, it can be prepared for.

I don't think it needs a very heavy investment in site manipulation (which I assume is what you meant), since it can change sites using one of its minions. I've seen these bombs go off flawlessly and kill me in one turn, by playing everything they needed directly from their hand. They used two Demoralized, and they held and played them both on the turn that they set the bomb off, so I had no chance to discard them. I think the two best ways to beat these, are to either recycle A New Light to get that Mountain-troll out of his hand, or (in a pinch) just exhaust all of your guys before he sets the bomb off. If you time it right, he'll have already discarded most of his minions, and with all of your guys exhausted, he has no means to generate twilight to get them back again.

Warg Super Swarm: 4.5
Really tough shadow to go up against, whatever you play. The added dynamics that the wargs give for race hate is nice too.

These tend to not cause me too much trouble, thanks to Throne of Minas Tirith. By the time they're done doing their thing, all the minions are usually exhausted, so I can just kill them with the Throne. The one tricky bit is their ability to exert to discard conditions in Shadow. For me, I try to get some tokens up on Storied Homestead asap to stop this.

Orc Direct Wounding: 3
Hurts...but basic site manipulation can make quick work of them if you have a strong base strength fellowship.

Also Stewards Legacy with Faramir or Boromir, and Thorondir.

Demoralized Rapid Reloading: 2.5
There's a difference between a Rainbow Swiss Army Knife shadow (which uses a large base pool of Gollum cards to pull magic bullet minions), and a combo deck. Combo decks where cultures mix are sometimes crappy in their draws.

I dunno, with this setup you only really need 4x Rapid Reload, 4x Mouth of Sauron, Messenger of Mordor, and the rest can be Demoralized and [Orc] stuff, most likely direct wounding Orcs.

Corsairs: 3.5
Just barely a 3.5 and not a 4...a beefed up fellowship can handle a fierce Castamir fatty no problem if he only exerts once or twice. The downside to their strength being enduring is that any kind of direct wounding in maneuver or archery will take them down . I'd like my strong minions to have enough vitality to fight, thank you very much.

The worst thing about these is Corsair Marauder. The smart ones will also employ Fierce in Despair to knock your fellowship down to nothing.

Southron Direct Wounding: 4
A little nastier than Corsairs and you have more control.

At least they don't take my possessions! For me at least, I can usually ultimately deal with these. The smart ones will sprinkle in Shotgun Enquea.

Beasterlings: 4
These are strong and annoying, even if you are able to remove the burdens every turn. It's fairly easy for you to have a little threat control with the Raider culture, so using GOTM to remove burdens might prove troublesome for your opponent's fellowship.

As we already mentioned, Easterling Pillager can be murder on a large fellowship.

Easterling Corsairs: 3

IMO these are better than Beasterlings, because they also take vital possessions, and recycle Pillager more effectively.

Skull Men Super Archery: 3.5
Strong lasting power, also a fair number of weaknesses. Decent.

Probably good against certain fellowships, but generally don't cause me too many problems.

Hard Core Site Control: 4
After playtesting this a little more, I'm convinced that this could be the fastest and most reliable form of site control in Expanded. When Gollum keeps bringing back either Southron Archer, White Hand Invader, or Gothmog (whichever you need), and ships of great draught can cycle your southron archers back in...this can deal out A LOT of wounds every site. It's biggest weakness is massive site liberation, so if for some reason you are up against a Rohan deck that incorporates a lot of that, you might have difficulty. However, often times I've been sitting there, site after site, with the possibility of controlling 3 or 4 sites, but I already have as many as I can have...I do think Hobbit Hospital could give this deck a run for its money, if he is using a Ring that can absorb archery.
Also I feel like a weakness could be the deck itself if your draws are unbalanced :/ At least ships helps a little to dump the southrons and get them back!

I think this as the potential to be very effective! Concentrate on those three minions from other cultures that really abuse those controlled sites, and I think you've got a winning deck. I don't even think Rohan can do much about it, because I think you can control sites so quickly, you'll be able to take advantage before they get a chance to liberate.

Wizard Conditions: 2.5
Fun to play, often strong. So many Expanded decks play Gandalf and these decks can really harass him. It is very weak to any condition control.

Bingo.

Uruk Hunters: 3.5
These can be tough...when they stick to simply fighting and don't rely on too many events or conditions they pack a big punch.

The two big advantages they have, is that they still work with Greed (which I'm amazed I don't see more often), and that horrific event Broken in Defeat, which spells a really bad day for big fellowships.

Assignment Uruks: 3
This gave me a chance to do a little research as it's the once deck out of these I've either never played or watched. Seems decent.

They're interesting! They didn't do to much to my deck, but I could see how they could be effective.

Besiegers: 3
I was between 3 and 3.5 for this one. I went with 3 just because I've had so many games where I've just walked right through them after discarding all of their conditions just twice. The deck is almost push-over if you keep them from using their conditions. A couple strength 16 Trolls that are fierce are not really a big deal if you have any kind of decent fellowship.

Of course the smart ones stock up on Dead Marshes.

Tracker Orcs: 3.5
Their use of direct wounding is often brutal in Expanded when splashed with a little bit of site manipulation. If you can keep the wounds either on people, or keep them exerting/getting wounded, your Hates will pack way more punch than they ever did FotR through Movie block.

Yep. Before I started using Wise Guide, these guys caused me LOTS of trouble. The smart ones would also employ A Host Avails Little. Thank goodness for Wise Guide!

Sauron Discard: 2
In my experience you can usually outrun these before they get you too low. Especially in Expanded...these decks are usually large...

They can be effective against smaller (i.e. normal sized) decks, which don't leave much margin for error in their strategy. But for the big swinging decks like mine, it just improves my cycling!

Orc Bowmen Direct Wounding: 2
Competitive in maybe FotR - TS...I don't think this can hold up at all in Expanded. Simple condition control cleans their clock.

It all depends on how quick I get that condition bomb, or whether I can keep Mithlond cycling enough to keep me healthy. :)

I'm glad I went through and did this...it's motivating me to play-test my original ideas as well as develop some other ones I haven't listed yet here. :)

Excellent, looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

I'm going to be out of town for about a week, and will only have access via my ipad, so updates to Post #1 will probably not happen until I'm back. I'll still be reading and responding though!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 07:24:53 AM by sgtdraino »

September 03, 2014, 06:47:56 PM
Reply #36

dmaz

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Global Mod
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2014, 06:47:56 PM »
Thanks for the responses! My initial impressions of strategies are pretty strong one way or the other usually, so it's always good for me to be reminded of the things I've forgotten :)

I'm curious, why do you think it's stronger in Movie? In Expanded they've got Deceit, but in Movie those conditions are unprotected, are they not?

I didn't forget about Deceit...it really does help when up against condition hate. But the reason I think it's still a little more viable in Movie block is because of the crazy Fellowship strategies that have come out in Expanded.

In a shadow strategy that focuses primarily on doing damage with just those two minions, certain fellowship strategies have been developed that can easily deal with one or both of them. Even when Madril deck isn't set up completely, it's very easy to get rid of Shelob at the very least. Hobbits have mastered the skirmish canceling aspect of things in expanded, and since this strategy really needs the skirmish phase to do its damage, Gollum and Shelob are kind of hung out to dry.

September 14, 2014, 03:02:04 PM
Reply #37

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2014, 03:02:04 PM »
I'm back, so post #1 has finally been updated again! Now 75 strategies on the list! Newly added include Pipeweed and Bilbo Choke!

September 14, 2014, 11:51:54 PM
Reply #38

dmaz

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Global Mod
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2014, 11:51:54 PM »
Ok, I found a Shadow deck I like. My updated version of Hard Core Site control. Updated the deck a little bit for the Expanded league.

I got rid of the Cavern Striker that I had in my original version (unnecessary), made it a little bit bigger to include help from Gollum.

Since I run a big fellowship I struggled against the typical Nazgul abuse deck, but I bided my time.

21 Archery at site 9 ftw!

http://www.gempukku.com/gemp-lotr/game.html?replayId=dmaz$85be88l35t4jw6yh

September 22, 2014, 09:09:10 AM
Reply #39

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2014, 09:09:10 AM »
How are you liking your Hard Core Site Control now, dmaz? Looks like you lost 3 games out of 10 in Series 1 of the current league. Pilot error? Or room for improvement?

Post #1 has been updated, added Sauron Tank Maneuver Wounding. Now 77 strategies on the list!

September 22, 2014, 05:59:19 PM
Reply #40

dmaz

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Global Mod
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2014, 05:59:19 PM »
How are you liking your Hard Core Site Control now, dmaz? Looks like you lost 3 games out of 10 in Series 1 of the current league. Pilot error? Or room for improvement?

Post #1 has been updated, added Sauron Tank Maneuver Wounding. Now 77 strategies on the list!

I'm liking them a lot!

Of those three games, 2 were very legit losses, 1 was hard core pilot error...tried to multitask and wasn't reading the text on my opponent's cards (overlooked a few of the trolls from Expanded that I had never seen played before, which led to three unnecessary deaths).

Still, there is room for improvement, definitely. I won a game where my opponent was using the site liberation Rohan followers, by timing it so I could control more sites than he could liberate each move...however because the shadow is still dependent on getting sites under control, there is always the chance for uneven draws (happened in 3 games), or an opponent who knows what you're up to and thwarts your tactics.

At this point the majority of the improvements that I can make would have to do with my fellowship. Two of my losses were Fellowship related. For shadow, I will test a little more then decide if I need to add/remove card quantity, or swap more Gollum stuff in. Overall, I'm happy with its general performance.

September 23, 2014, 10:57:56 PM
Reply #41

dmaz

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Global Mod
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2014, 10:57:56 PM »
Lost another game to TinkerT due to being just 1 of 7 possible cards short from killing him with archery at site 9.
I'd post the replay but they aren't working.

Not sure why I killed radagast before my final push...I had an easy easy cruise to site 9 otherwise.

I'm getting really turned off to Expanded because of this league.

I've seen little to no creativity in Fellowships. Everything is dominated by Gandalf control cards and Grimbeorn. It's beatable, yes, but its really lame to see over and over when there are so many other options.

I really don't want to have to tech for Gandalf with Nazgul and TGAT...that would just be gay.

At least casual brings a lot to the table...

September 24, 2014, 07:42:51 AM
Reply #42

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2014, 07:42:51 AM »
Lost another game to TinkerT due to being just 1 of 7 possible cards short from killing him with archery at site 9.
I'd post the replay but they aren't working.

Yeah, with no replays I can't update my stats in this thread either. I hope they get that working again soon!

Not sure why I killed radagast before my final push...I had an easy easy cruise to site 9 otherwise.

Heh heh. So, pilot error?

I'm getting really turned off to Expanded because of this league.

I've seen little to no creativity in Fellowships. Everything is dominated by Gandalf control cards and Grimbeorn. It's beatable, yes, but its really lame to see over and over when there are so many other options.

Let's see what I've encountered so far:

SFTF Tanks/Forest Nazgul (Cocaacola)
SFTF Tanks/Warg Super Swarm (TinkerT)
SFTF Tanks/Fierce Nazgul (xXx)
Powerful Guide/Sauron Tank Maneuver Wounding (faramirkj)
Ent Horde/Hard Core Site Control (you)
Madril/Sudden Strike (me)
Horn Filter/Troll Swarm (Gorecz)
Bearer of Great Secrets/Condition Ninja Gollum (lorddon)
Third Marshal/Beasterlings (pospa21)
Gil-galad Looping Archery/Condition Ninja Gollum (wkamp)

Unfortunately my game with hobbiciak rolled off the bottom before I could get the stats for it, but 9 out of 10 ain't bad. So, out of 10 players (including you and I), 4 were doing hardcore Gandalf stuff. That is indeed a significant number, 40% of games. It's also significant that I lost to all of the hardcore Gandalf decks, and that two of those decks are currently ranked 1st and 3rd. So clearly, hardcore Gandalf stuff is a very strong strategy, and people are smart to use it. I haven't encountered any other Madril decks, aside from my own, of course.

How many of your games have been against hardcore Gandalf stuff? Obviously players you play more than once (like TinkerT) should still only count once.

I really don't want to have to tech for Gandalf with Nazgul and TGAT...that would just be gay.

It's no different than teching Ships of Great Draught for Madril. That's what I did, and I almost never lose to him anymore. With Gandalf having that much impact on the meta, it might indeed be time for me to take a look at my Shadow, and think about adding a recurring TGAT option. Heck, it might even be more sensible to take out at least one of my Ships to make room for it. Madril just doesn't dominate the scene these days.

At least casual brings a lot to the table...

Powerful Guide, Bearer of Obligation, and SFTF Tanks currently make up about 14% of all the games I've encountered since starting these stats, so yes, a lot more variety in casual. I also get the impression that some of the people playing in the Expanded league ONLY play in the league, and don't play Expanded casual. I've added quite a few new names to the list during this league, including well-known names that have been around for quite a while, just not in my casual Expanded games.

September 26, 2014, 06:26:02 PM
Reply #43

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2014, 06:26:02 PM »
Post #1 updated. Added two more strategies: Anarion and Stacking Men. Now 79 strategies documented!

October 27, 2014, 07:44:54 AM
Reply #44

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2014, 07:44:54 AM »
Post #1 updated! More strategies added, now 81 strategies listed! Both of the new strategies are fresh from a player I haven't added to my stats before now, "ents." I've dubbed his Shadow "Uruk Tanks," as it's basically tanked up Uruks with damage bonuses. However, his FP really impressed me! I've dubbed it, "Smeagol Ents." Some outside-the-box thinking I haven't seen before: It's basically like a solo Smeagol deck, but he does the Bloom of Health trick to start with 7 unbound companions, and (if he starts) starts Prancing Pony and pulls a 9th companion (Aragorn). All these companions are nothing more than meat shields, he sacrifices them left and right to enable Smeagol to move quite quickly along the site path. Once he's out of companions it's down to the usual solo Smeagol tricks, but those are some pretty good tricks, and he's likely in front and close to the end. Bravo to ents for an interesting new (to me anyway!) deck idea!

Here's a link to one of our games:

http://www.gempukku.com/gemp-lotr/game.html?replayId=sgtdraino$x5xkjbsblkjf9d2f