LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Names of the Nazgul  (Read 6096 times)

September 22, 2014, 09:01:39 PM
Read 6096 times

Paviel

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
Names of the Nazgul
« on: September 22, 2014, 09:01:39 PM »
Does anyone know where the folks at Decipher got the names that they gave to eight of the Nazgul in the TCG (Attea, Lemenya, etc.)? I didn't think that Tolkien ever gave the Nazgul names, and I'm 99% sure that Peter Jackson didn't either.

Were the names just made up for the card game?

Edit: I did a bit of "research" online, and came up with this:

I found that those aren't actually names, and are more like ranks. Ulaire Attea, for example, is Quenya for "Second Ringwraith." The others are "Third Ringwraith" through "Ninth Ringwraith," though I don't remember off hand which is which.

It almost makes me wonder what "First Ringwraith" would be in Quenya. I can understand why they called him the Witch King instead of some arcane Quenya name-that's-actually-a-rank, but I would be interested to know anyway.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 09:25:51 PM by Paviel »

September 22, 2014, 09:59:15 PM
Reply #1

bibfortuna25

• Information Offline
  • Knight
Re: Names of the Nazgul
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 09:59:15 PM »
Ulaire Minea would be "First Nazgul" in Quenya.
All cards do what they say, no more, no less.

September 22, 2014, 10:31:49 PM
Reply #2

dmaz

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Global Mod
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 10:31:49 PM »
Regarding the Witch-King's name, from Tolkien Gateway:

"'Witch' most likely coming from his background in sorcery, and "king" after his establishment of the realm of Angmar in 1300."

There is a lot of literary material regarding the Witch-King, and stuff about him in the trilogy and in the Silmarillion.

Regarding the other Nazgul:
Khamûl is Ulaire Attea's actual name. He is the one who is initially in the shire looking for Frodo: "I come from yonder. Have you seen Baggins?"
He's an Easterling, and the second in command to the Witch King.

Other than "The Witch-King" none of the other Nazgul are actually named in the material that is actually from Tolkien.

I don't really care too much, but for those that are interested in going deeper, Iron Crown Enterprises made names and profiles for them, for the purposes of role-playing.
http://www.inmivoz.com/profiles-9-nazg%C3%BBl

While the names are made up, the profiles fit, as best they can, what we do know about the nine (example: we know three of them were of Numenor).

I think the most entertaining of these things is that Otsea is a girl hahaha. Sexy Nazgulette.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 10:55:20 PM by dmaz »

September 22, 2014, 10:55:04 PM
Reply #3

dmaz

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Global Mod
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 10:55:04 PM »
Also, if you were to count in Elvish from One to Nine:

Er, Atta, Nelde, Kinta, Lempe, Enque, Otso, Tolto, Nerte

Look familiar? :)

September 23, 2014, 06:07:52 AM
Reply #4

ANGRY

• Information Offline
  • Scout
  • ^This guy is actually Hamlet.
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 06:07:52 AM »
Well. I didn't know that before. That is pretty cool.

(And Witch-King sounds cooler than Minea. By far.)
"Alas, poor Yorrick. I knew him, Horatio."

September 23, 2014, 06:39:44 PM
Reply #5

dmaz

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Global Mod
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 06:39:44 PM »

Lemenya...I'm not wearing any panties!

September 23, 2014, 07:44:13 PM
Reply #6

bibfortuna25

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 07:44:13 PM »
So THAT'S why he's so eager to stick his Blade Tip in Frodo.
All cards do what they say, no more, no less.

October 31, 2014, 07:46:33 AM
Reply #7

simplegarak

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 07:46:33 AM »
You'll notice that in set 11 (http://lotrtcgwiki.com/wiki/set11) they put subtitles to all the Nazgul so you'd know which one was which number (second of the nine riders, etc)

If Otsea was a girl... so many jokes to make about the name typo. "Oh but you don't see any of the MALE Nazgul getting misspelled!  More of that patriarchal oppression by Sauron!"

January 18, 2015, 05:37:53 AM
Reply #8

jdizzy001

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2015, 05:37:53 AM »
Regarding the Witch-King's name, from Tolkien Gateway:

"'Witch' most likely coming from his background in sorcery, and "king" after his establishment of the realm of Angmar in 1300."

There is a lot of literary material regarding the Witch-King, and stuff about him in the trilogy and in the Silmarillion.

Regarding the other Nazgul:
Khamûl is Ulaire Attea's actual name. He is the one who is initially in the shire looking for Frodo: "I come from yonder. Have you seen Baggins?"
He's an Easterling, and the second in command to the Witch King.

Other than "The Witch-King" none of the other Nazgul are actually named in the material that is actually from Tolkien.

I don't really care too much, but for those that are interested in going deeper, Iron Crown Enterprises made names and profiles for them, for the purposes of role-playing.
http://www.inmivoz.com/profiles-9-nazg%C3%BBl

While the names are made up, the profiles fit, as best they can, what we do know about the nine (example: we know three of them were of Numenor).

I think the most entertaining of these things is that Otsea is a girl hahaha. Sexy Nazgulette.

This is correct. The witch king and khamul are the only ring wraiths with tolkein approved names. Gw also gave them names, or titles mostly.
*All posts made by jdizzy001, regardless of the thread in which they appear, are expressions of his own opinion and as such are not representative of views shared by any third party unless expressly acknowledged as such by said party.

I play LOTR SBG look at my minis!
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.124731667611081.33577.100002227457509&l=aeb5fa3bdd