LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: The White Council  (Read 8404 times)

September 28, 2014, 10:46:25 AM
Reply #15

Ringbearer

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
Re: The White Council
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2014, 10:46:25 AM »
Alatar and pallando never went to the West. They got corrupted by the lure of the east and vanished there. In the end of the Five only Gandalf went to Valinor. Sarumans fate is known and radagast went corrputed by the wild.

September 28, 2014, 03:21:25 PM
Reply #16

ANGRY

• Information Offline
  • Scout
  • ^This guy is actually Hamlet.
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2014, 03:21:25 PM »
Blue idiots.
"Alas, poor Yorrick. I knew him, Horatio."

September 28, 2014, 06:46:14 PM
Reply #17

MR. Lurtzy

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Wouldn't it be nice if we were Hodor?
    • My website
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2014, 06:46:14 PM »
Alatar and Pallando "failed" only in earlier drafts of the universe. But Tolkien changed that. In the most recent draft (and therefore the most canon draft), Alatar and Pallando were not failures. Tolkien said specifically:

"Their task was to circumvent Sauron: to bring help to the few tribes of Men that had rebelled from Melkor-worship, to stir up rebellion ... and after his first fall to search out his hiding (in which they failed) and to cause [?dissension and disarray] among the dark East ... They must have had very great influence on the history of the Second Age and Third Age in weakening and disarraying the forces of East ... who would both in the Second Age and Third Age otherwise have ... outnumbered the West."

So no, Alatar and Pallando were not a couple of blue idiots as far as Tolkien was concerned, at least not in the most recent history he wrote about them.

September 28, 2014, 06:50:33 PM
Reply #18

dmaz

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Global Mod
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2014, 06:50:33 PM »
Some reading material on them:
http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Alatar
http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Pallando

I didn't know much about them either, so it was fun to learn a little bit. Would have been neat to have them as actual Wizard cards in the game.

September 29, 2014, 05:23:54 AM
Reply #19

ANGRY

• Information Offline
  • Scout
  • ^This guy is actually Hamlet.
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2014, 05:23:54 AM »
Alatar and Pallando "failed" only in earlier drafts of the universe. But Tolkien changed that. In the most recent draft (and therefore the most canon draft), Alatar and Pallando were not failures. Tolkien said specifically:

"Their task was to circumvent Sauron: to bring help to the few tribes of Men that had rebelled from Melkor-worship, to stir up rebellion ... and after his first fall to search out his hiding (in which they failed) and to cause [?dissension and disarray] among the dark East ... They must have had very great influence on the history of the Second Age and Third Age in weakening and disarraying the forces of East ... who would both in the Second Age and Third Age otherwise have ... outnumbered the West."

So no, Alatar and Pallando were not a couple of blue idiots as far as Tolkien was concerned, at least not in the most recent history he wrote about them.

Hey, where is that quote from? I don't recall reading it before, and I have read most of the Middle-Earth lore...
"Alas, poor Yorrick. I knew him, Horatio."

September 29, 2014, 06:56:22 PM
Reply #20

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2014, 06:56:22 PM »
In the end of the Five only Gandalf went to Valinor. Sarumans fate is known and radagast went corrputed by the wild.

Though Radagast forsook his mission as Istar to fight Sauron, he was sent by Yavanna with the mission of protecting the plants and animals of the woods. He served well to that other mission; didn't got corrupted at all.
“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”  - Malcolm X