LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Hobbit movie  (Read 12307 times)

November 06, 2014, 04:20:00 PM
Read 12307 times

Panch

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
  • Honorable lord
Hobbit movie
« on: November 06, 2014, 04:20:00 PM »
Set to be released Dec. 17th, but thats a Wednesday...... shouldnt it be atleast the 19th since its friday, or mayb say the 18th at midnight which would still be the 19th friday? or am i missing something?
"The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword."- Eddard Stark

November 07, 2014, 03:32:47 AM
Reply #1

thetimewarptrio

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
Re: Hobbit movie
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 03:32:47 AM »
Yeah, seems a little strange. Technically, the 18th at midnight would still be the 18th, but it is being released on a Wednesday, perhaps to capitalize more on the pre-Christmas season. It's also the latest release date for any movie in the Hobbit "trilogy", as the other two were released on the 12th and 13th I believe.

Also, Exodus : Gods and Kings is set to release on the 12th, so they probably don't want to put two major releases then. My guess is they're just looking to capitalize on the holiday season a little early on.
If we're gonna play games, I'm gonna need a cup of coffee.

November 07, 2014, 05:16:42 AM
Reply #2

simplegarak

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 05:16:42 AM »
IIRC, ALL the LotR movies were released on a wed to give them long initial weekend runs.

(Fellowship was on 12/19 as well - also a wed)

November 07, 2014, 05:29:35 AM
Reply #3

dmaz

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Global Mod
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 05:29:35 AM »
IIRC, ALL the LotR movies were released on a wed to give them long initial weekend runs.

(Fellowship was on 12/19 as well - also a wed)

Ahhhh so that's their trick! Never understood that, thanks!

December 22, 2014, 01:40:59 AM
Reply #4

thetimewarptrio

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 01:40:59 AM »
Any thoughts on the last one? I just saw it last night, and had two main thoughts.

1. Deus Ex Machinia

2. I've never seen a director rip off his own movies more than Peter Jackson did in TBOFA. Just.....wow. Same exact Moria drum beat and window torches. Same war chant as the orcs out of Mordor. Marching very invocative of The Two Towers and ROTK.

The battle seemed unending and tedious, and it didn't cut away very well. The first half of the movie wasn't that bad though. Pretty disappointed in this "trilogy".

December 22, 2014, 02:06:37 AM
Reply #5

Ringbearer

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 02:06:37 AM »
Too much emphasis on the battle, which is in the book not a move by Sauron but a plundering goblin army. Tolkiens note give in that it was a small and rather unimportant battle.

Also what good can 13 warriors do if the Iron dwarves army cant hold ground.

It is in line with the rest of the Hobbit Trilogy, which I find too drawn out and too much emphasis on what is basically 1.5 chapter of the book.

December 22, 2014, 04:02:54 AM
Reply #6

thetimewarptrio

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 04:02:54 AM »
The paragraphs about it did note that it was a terrible battle, but since the book was called "The Hobbit", and Bilbo was knocked out for most of it, there wasn't much detail. I was okay with the battle being expounded upon, especially seeing that the series has a LOT less emphasis on Bilbo (which is very stupid), but it was pretty long and badly paced. I did LOL when the tide turned with an extra 13 dwarves. Unless they all have mithril axes and armor, it's not gonna do a whole lot.

I was happy when The Hobbit was announced, directed by Del Toro, and in two movies, especially with appendix content added. Very disappointed when it was moved to Jackson, drawn out to three movies, and left Azog in, who didn't last a page in the ROTK appendicies. Also, the Dol Guldur timeline was incorrect, and the addition of Gundabad was dumb/rather pointless.

I will still hold that the second installment was by far the worst. It made for a very poorly paced trilogy.

December 22, 2014, 09:57:48 AM
Reply #7

Carl333

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
  • "But it is not this day. This day we fight!"
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 09:57:48 AM »
If by the second installment, you mean The Desolation of Smaug, i am going to have to disagree with you.  I felt it wast the best out of the three hobbit movies.  However, if you are meaning the Hobbit Trilogy vs the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, i thought the whole Lord of the Rings Trilogy was significantly better that the Hobbit Trilogy.
"Do you ever wonder why we are here?  Maybe you're here because it is the only place you fit in.  Maybe you're here because you have nowhere else to go.  Maybe you're here because deep down, you want to be here.  It doesn't matter why you're here.  All that matters is that you are here!"

December 22, 2014, 10:09:37 AM
Reply #8

thetimewarptrio

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 10:09:37 AM »
No, no I meant the Desolation of Smaug. Nothing really happened in it. There was no climax, there was no resolution. A very poor standalone film.

Not to mention how far it deviated from the book, the whole dwarves entering the mountain bit, the Master of Lake-town eating balls, Bard the "Bargeman", Dwarf-Elf romances that begin with a penis joke, Gandalf being imprisoned at Dol Guldur, the barrel scene, Legolas vs. Bolg, and everything with Azog and Tauriel.

I love the Middle-Earth universe.........but man these prequels rank up there with the Star Wars ones as just plain bad.

December 22, 2014, 10:37:59 AM
Reply #9

Ringbearer

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 10:37:59 AM »
It simply deviates too far away from the book.

January 03, 2015, 07:52:28 AM
Reply #10

macheteman

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2015, 07:52:28 AM »
I BUSTED out laughing when the random War Goats came running onto the screen without ANY hint of foreshadowing.

January 03, 2015, 09:56:51 AM
Reply #11

BigRedMF

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2015, 09:56:51 AM »
I agree. I absolutely love the LotR trilogy, but the Hobbit "trilogy" was obviously a marketing scheme to build off that success. The fact that the LotR movies had to cut stuff OUT from the books to make them fit into 3.5 hours of film made them so much better than the Hobbit adding all kinds of random false canon IN so they could stretch it as far as they wanted. I enjoyed the first Hobbit movie, was a irritated at the second one for many of the reasons stated above, and then really just wished the third movie would end not long after I started watching. The battle was just way too overdone and it went on forever.

They never really showed what became of Bard and Dale, just kind of left him in the city even before the battle was over and never came back to him. And I thought the part with Thranduil and Legolas at the end was just too dumb. It makes me wonder why they didn't show Gandalf meeting Aragorn at some point just to make sure people knew that they really did know each other before the LotR trilogy.

I will say I really enjoyed Martin Freeman and I think the films did a very good job with Bilbo as a character.

January 03, 2015, 11:13:02 AM
Reply #12

ununtrium

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2015, 11:13:02 AM »
The Hobbit trilogy is clearly marred by the filmakers milking the franchise as much as possible. All decisions related to making the film were based on market research.

To put it in a nutshell:
- Everything that did not have mass appeal was left out or was changed.
- Only those story elements were left unchanged that did not get in the way of making the movie appeal to the biggest-possible audience.
- If anything could possibly be added to make more people go and see the movie(S), the filmakers put it in.

Bottom line:
- The producers put financial gain first and things like artistic merit or remaining faithful to the book/story last.
- What I am left with are three movies I would rather care to forget than watch again.

P.S.: I like Martin Freeman as Bilbo, too. Otherwise, lots of wasted opportunities there!

I am a Lieutenant Commander on the G.A.B. Saffron team. My trade lists:
http://lotrtcgdb.com/forums/index.php/topic,3255.0.html
http://www.tradecardsonline.com/user/ununtrium

January 03, 2015, 11:36:55 AM
Reply #13

thetimewarptrio

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2015, 11:36:55 AM »
I'll definitely get on board with everything you guys are saying. The one moment I wish was in LoTR was Gandalf denying the Witch King entrance to Minas Tirith..........THAT WOULD'VE BEEN SO BOSS.

The cast is honestly pretty fantastic for The Hobbit (other than Tauriel, who shouldn't have ever been made). It's just.......ugh the scriptwriting. It's like they forgot how to write.

Tauriel - "Take this love away from me, why does it hurt so much?!?!"

Thranduil - "Because it was real."

thetimewarptrio - *hysterically bursts out in laughter, ruining the moment for the whole theater*

I didn't mind the first one. The second one was awful, and the second half of the last one was pretty bad. I would've been okay with Bolg as a main villain, because he's actually in the books....plus it would've been cool to see Dain slay Azog at the gates of Moria as he did in the RoTK appendices.

Sigh. I could rant on this forever.

January 04, 2015, 04:03:16 PM
Reply #14

Carl333

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
  • "But it is not this day. This day we fight!"
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2015, 04:03:16 PM »
Im gonna have to agree with all of you on that, The Lord of the rings Trilogy was definitely better than The Hobbit trilogy.  I felt they could have left out all the Tauriel and Azog junk.  I am going to have to say I did love the scene at Dol Guldur in the third hobbit film though.  Aside from stabbing an orc in the first scene in the Fellowship of the Ring, it was the first time we were able to really see Elrond fight. 
"Do you ever wonder why we are here?  Maybe you're here because it is the only place you fit in.  Maybe you're here because you have nowhere else to go.  Maybe you're here because deep down, you want to be here.  It doesn't matter why you're here.  All that matters is that you are here!"