LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Hobbit movie  (Read 12332 times)

January 20, 2015, 09:20:15 AM
Reply #30

simplegarak

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
Re: Hobbit movie
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2015, 09:20:15 AM »
Yep.  Watch the redlettermedia reviews of the SW prequels if you haven't, but Lucas is exhibit A in the saying: "Art from Adversity".

Now we might add LotR to that too.  The first trilogy was hard on the makers, and true art resulted.  The Hobbit... you can tell it was less challenging to them.

Looking forward to the fan edit.

January 27, 2015, 02:21:30 PM
Reply #31

Mythdracon

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • You cannot pass!
Re: Hobbit movie
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2015, 02:21:30 PM »
I was really disappointed by the Hobbit trilogy as a whole, but some moments, like Bilbo's Riddles in the Dark with Gollum, were as perfect as I had hoped for. I wish more of the whimsy of the books had been in--like Bilbo throwing rocks at the spiders and taunting them, the Elven feast in the forest clearing, and so on. Too many moments were Peter Jackson trying to make the Hobbit into another LOTR, and I didn't appreciate that at all. The tonal differences in the book vis a vis LOTR should have been taken more seriously, even with dark and scary Dol Guldur in there.

The fan edit sounds interesting....but wouldn't it arguably violate copyright law? I don't know if it's truly fair use to simply cut up a movie and split some things out.
A wizard is never late...nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.