LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Looking to build a good Aragorn deck  (Read 5586 times)

December 03, 2014, 06:59:16 PM
Read 5586 times

Hobbiton250

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
  • Bow to the precious
Looking to build a good Aragorn deck
« on: December 03, 2014, 06:59:16 PM »
Hi! I'm new to the game (sad that i'm late to it, but o well, better late than never.) I recently Bought a long box of assorted LOTR TCG cards at a flee market for $5. I've looked through and have noteced a lot of them are Gondor cards. Anyway, with that in mind I'd like to make an Aragorn deck. Any suggestions or even some build list would be greatly appriciated. Thanks in advance. :)

Couple of notes: Since a majority of my cards are Gondor and Elves. I think I'm going to make a Gondor/Elves deck with Uruk-Hai/ Saruman. Any advice for this type of deck would be very helpful.  ;D :)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 05:26:15 PM by Hobbiton250 »
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky, Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone, Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die, One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne,In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie. One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie

December 06, 2014, 03:43:34 AM
Reply #1

FYNO

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
Re: Looking to build a good Aragorn deck
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 03:43:34 AM »
Welcome to the game!

As Aragorn is the best companion in Fellowship block, you'll find that almost every successful deck is to some degree an "Aragorn deck". So you've got a lot of options.

Elf/Gondor and Uruk-hai also happens to be one of the best options in fellowship block too, so you've got that going for you as well :)

Most Elf/Gondor decks start Legolas, Greenleaf and Arwen, Daughter of Elrond. Aragorn, Heir to the White City is the most common choice of Aragorn, although the other two are defensible. You'll want Gwemegil, Ranger's Sword, Flaming Brand and The Last Alliance of Elves and Men at least for strength, and Aragorn's Bow for archery. Elves have a lot of good allies which are a must-have, including either Elrond, Lord of Rivendell or Elrond, Herald to Gil-Galad, Galadriel, Lady of Light (though Galadriel, Lady of the Golden Wood can be good too) Rumil, Orophin and others. Boromir works well with this allies with the Horn of Boromir.  Secret Sentinels is essential condition removal for these allies.

Key cards in Uruk decks include Saruman, Keeper of Isengard, Savagery to Match Their Numbers, Saruman's Ambition and Saruman's Power. There are a handful of good options as far as minions go, but the most popular ones include Troop of Uruk-hai, Uruk Captain, Uruk Warrior and Uruk Lieutenant.

December 06, 2014, 07:10:17 AM
Reply #2

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 07:10:17 AM »
I also strongly suggest you check out:

http://www.gempukku.com/gemp-lotr/

There you can play online for free with people from all over the world, with whatever cards you want. You can also use that site to test out various Aragorn decks as you build them.
"I would have followed you, my brother... my captain... my king." - Boromir

December 06, 2014, 07:58:40 AM
Reply #3

Hobbiton250

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
  • Bow to the precious
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 07:58:40 AM »
Thank you both so very much. A lot of useful information.  FYNO, most of the cards you suggested, I have so I will definitely work those in to my build. I kind of want to work in at least 2 Saruman's Snow Storm. What are your thoughts on that? Thanks you for the help!
sgtdraino, I will check out your link right now. That will help me get some more experience in playing. Thank you!
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky, Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone, Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die, One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne,In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie. One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie

December 06, 2014, 08:04:48 AM
Reply #4

Hobbiton250

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
  • Bow to the precious
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 08:04:48 AM »
Just check out that link. I registered, so I can check it out. I love the fact that you can watch other players' games. This will help me learn more about the game before i start playing on there. Thanks again sgtdraino!

December 06, 2014, 08:27:55 AM
Reply #5

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 08:27:55 AM »
You're welcome! You can also view a video tutorial of how to use gemp here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azvdgl4LScs
"I would have followed you, my brother... my captain... my king." - Boromir

December 06, 2014, 08:38:50 AM
Reply #6

Hobbiton250

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
  • Bow to the precious
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 08:38:50 AM »
someone just sent me that link on gemp. lol. Yes i shall check it out later. Ive got to go now. Thanks for all the help. So glad i finally get to enjoy this game online as well as with friends.

December 07, 2014, 05:33:40 PM
Reply #7

FYNO

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 05:33:40 PM »
Thank you both so very much. A lot of useful information.  FYNO, most of the cards you suggested, I have so I will definitely work those in to my build. I kind of want to work in at least 2 Saruman's Snow Storm. What are your thoughts on that? Thanks you for the help!
sgtdraino, I will check out your link right now. That will help me get some more experience in playing. Thank you!

Saruman's Snows is a good card, though usually not so much in standard Uruk-hai builds. This is because they have a lot of good skirmish actions (Savagery to Match Their Numbers, Saruman's Ambition and Bred For Battle) such that playing the card will often hobble you more than it will hurt your opponent. It tends to find a home in more niche decks, such as those that combine Moria Orcs with Isengard Orcs to swarm.

December 08, 2014, 06:30:02 PM
Reply #8

Hobbiton250

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
  • Bow to the precious
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 06:30:02 PM »
I understand. I'd prefer to keep my Uruk-hai build as agressive as possible. Thank for the info. I'll keep it out of the build then. What kind of deck would you recomend for it?

December 08, 2014, 08:03:16 PM
Reply #9

FYNO

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2014, 08:03:16 PM »
I understand. I'd prefer to keep my Uruk-hai build as agressive as possible. Thank for the info. I'll keep it out of the build then. What kind of deck would you recomend for it?

For Saruman's Snows? This is an example. Moria Swarm, but with some Isengard Orcs like Isengard Warrior, which can prevent archery actions like Legolas, Greenleaf and Gondor Bowmen, then plays Saruman's Snows to stop action like Frying Pan or Bounder, making it a lot easier to overwhelm the ringbearer when you get it out.