LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Next Updates for the Hobbit Draft Game  (Read 270027 times)

June 21, 2016, 10:15:19 AM
Reply #390

-Enola-

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
Re: Next Updates for the Hobbit Draft Game
« Reply #390 on: June 21, 2016, 10:15:19 AM »
- Bolg's Army: I wonder if these swarm/wound cards are too powerful at the early game. I'm only seeing the chance to raise the Site Number of them to 4 (just like [Isengard] Orcs), for flavor purposes (and to wink the [Isengard] Orcs). But gameplay is what matters, so only if they happen to need to be softened at the early game merely, that change will delay them enough. And will make them mix a bit worse with the Wargriders pack (reducing OP combos).

Yes, this card is really strong. But all Gundabad Orcs are site 3, moreover before site 3 a mass wounding Shadow doesn't make a lot of woundings due to the early site 3 sanctuary.

I will change the wording of The Evil Becomes Stronger and His Wrath Was Redoubted soon.

Thank you for support!!! I need a name for the extension I ;).
Hobbit Draft Game : http://hobbitdraftgame.free.fr

June 23, 2016, 07:31:30 AM
Reply #391

-Enola-

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #391 on: June 23, 2016, 07:31:30 AM »
Bilbo: I change the 4 Bilbo for a better use of Noble Intentions. The Bilbo still have no big problem against a Gollum at strength 10-12 (followers, weapons, ring and boost also help).

Terrifying Legend: Remove [4] seems better than only [3].

Du Bekar: I change this card for one of your old proposition ;). I think it's simpler to use it now.

Nelya & Lemenya: They use to manage Wise allies, but the [Wraith] condition is now weaker. There are now 3 Nazguls against condition discard, 3 Nazguls against followers and 3 boosting Nazguls (similar as Trolls).

Attea, Toldea & Wk: Their twilight cost is reduced by the number of Wise characters. It seems better after playtests.

Azog Commander: Twilight reduction during the maneuver phase.

Assaulting Goblin Prevent wounds from all Orcs (Watchful Orc was an easy target).

Alfrid: He can now come from the discard pile to prevent too much participating [Dale] allies.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 06:56:22 AM by -Enola- »

June 24, 2016, 01:55:26 PM
Reply #392

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #392 on: June 24, 2016, 01:55:26 PM »
- Bilbo: Great idea! Bilbo will fight more often, so Sting will be discarding more conditions (Expert Burglar can even play Battle Fury for such task :up:). But you removed all counters to Smaug, and since Bilbo spoke in riddles to him too, Master in Riddles should be able to reduce Smaug's strength too. But perhaps with a different reduction, like "...make Gollum strength -2 or Smaug strength -1 (limit -4)".

These new versions of Bilbo portray in a much better way his adventurer Tookish side (fight, risk, draw and cycle), marking a clear distance with the 4 Hobbits of the Fellowship. Just BRAVO, this is my favourite change in many months, so loaded with simpleness and flavor! =D> =D> =D>

- Terrifying Legend: Much better. The Shadow player will have to leave more twilight unused at shadow phase, gambling to survive and kill allies at regroup. :up:

- Du Bekar: Nice! (Though I liked a lot the assignment event to kill a troublesome minion like Azog or Crazy Cob; keep that idea for another pack ;).) You can change it a bit to be more versatile:

First, it should allow to replace allies too: Mirkwood and Esgaroth allies ("'To me! O elves and men!'"), Iron Hills allies ("'To me! O my kinsfolk!'"), to also portray Thorin & Company's role in the Bot5A; it'd be then "and have him replace an ally or a [Dwarven] companion". Second, it might synergize a bit with Bilbo if it replaced an ally / [Dwarven] companion that is "assigned to a skirmish" instead of "in a skirmish" (that way you can play it in Bilbo's skirmish to also trigger Sting, but losing the str +2 bonus; it'd be playable from deck by Expert Burglar).

The cost is very high, so those changes might be balancing that problem. ;)

- Nelya & Lemenya: Interesting. I like it, but I believe that the dmg bonus is both redundant and too powerful. Perhaps Lemenya might heal each other Nazgul to reload their stopping power when a condition is discarded, which happens at maneuver (Ancestral Knowledge), skirmish (Bifur, Sting), or regroup (Accorn). Or also when there is a double move, as there isn't anything to heal them. It might even be a costless "each time" action: "Each time the Free Peoples player discards a condition or the fellowship moves, you may heal each [Wraith] minion."

They are too "immortal" to lack any healing. Perhaps Nelya should have the same, I believe the dmg bonus should be only in the WK's hands to not be excessive (besides, the WK's damage lasts only 1 skirmish, which seems more balanced for these fierce strong minions).

- Attea, Toldea & Wk: This change worries me a lot. The main deck has 2 of the Wise, and that can arise to 3 (Wizard pack) or 4 (White Council pack) with ease. Or even to 5! Sum it with the [Sauron] Ring of Thrór (-2) and from discard with the [Wraith] condition (-2 again), and under the right circumstances they'll cost from -4 to -9, and the smaller ones from -2 (Thrór's Ring alone) to -4 (from discard). And with Sauron assigning them... and fighting! Playtest them again with the Sauron pack and those 2 FP packs and you'll see!

So in my opinion it'll be better with a fixed small number when spotting 2 Wise guys: "While you can spot 2 Wise characters, this minon's twilight cost is -2". Otherwise, with 4 or 5 Wise guys The Great Enemy (1 single card!) will bring those 3 big Nazzies + their master Sauron, for almost no twilight besides Sauron's...

I have a lot more to answer, but later :(. Besides, this is not my usual computer (where I store my ideas and drafts), and this PC's keyboard is very damaged (and clicking on this virtual keyboard is too slow a replacement ;)).

EDIT #1: Some additions. I'm still working with a virtual keyboard...

- Azog Commander: Seems better for a wider use of cards in hand at the Shadow phase (as you'll require to reserve less for maneuver), and to diversificate the dependence on the Were-worms. But with the Were-worms the cost will be -2, so the condition's active skill should add less twilight. [6] will be better I guess. After Azog gets exhausted, all remaining twilight will be useful to stop double moves (or to use with Hidden Attack or Terrifying Legend), so it must be reduced.

- Assaulting Goblin Seems OK, but not without a trigger. Considering it'll protect now the Watchful Orc, it might work only at battlegrounds (that way the Watchful Orc will be forced to add 'battleground' instead of 'forest' or 'river', which'd trigger the powerful skill of the Orkish Bow). Or might need to spot another [Moria] Orc to work...

I prefer "at a battleground". The idea is to prevent it from being pulled in the draft by players that won't focus on Moria (not only to counterdraft, but to use it). If it protects ANY Orc and without ANY specific trigger, other cultures like Sauron, Bolg's Army and even Smaug will want it badly as it'll be surprisingly useful for those.

- Alfrid: Definitely NOT (that way)! :evil: :down: Is OK to play him from discard, but not without a cost. Once you draw him, he can be an extra minion for a swarm, can soak 3 arrows if played from hand only to reappear immediatly, can resurrect in the fierce assignment if Dwalin or Glóin beheads him in a normal skirmish... all that for (0) and not even a slot in the hand. :cop: :cop: :cop:

Replaying him is OK, but needs a cost. A heavy cost, to be used only in key moments. "Remove 2 doubts" or "heal 2 Man allies" (and no cost reduction) will be fine. But with no cost and no way to get rid of him, he's clearly OP.

- Savage Warg: I think this Warg should be bearable by any Orc (regardless of cultures). The current version excludes Goblin Footman in the Main deck, all Goblin town/Azog's army [Moria] Orcs, and the [Sauron] versions of Azog and Bolg. A mounted Goblin Footman will be much better for some non-orc shadows like Spiders (as it's a 1 card combo solely), while Moria shadows will be more versatile with it. Besides, it'll be the only way to get a mounted Great Goblin (as Vicious Warg's pack will never meet him)! :P
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 12:34:20 PM by Durin's Heir »
“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”  - Malcolm X

June 26, 2016, 09:49:35 AM
Reply #393

-Enola-

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #393 on: June 26, 2016, 09:49:35 AM »
Bilbo: I change the Expert Burglar. He was too different from other Bilbo. I think it's ok now. The Collector of Treasure has a simpler text now.
I think the Master in Riddles is ok, it's doesn't need the Smaug part (the other Bilbo haven't any part like this).

Du Bekar: I replace it with the older version. The previous version was good during playtests, so I will keep it.

Assaulting Goblin: Done.

Azog Swarm: After many playtests, there was a problem of twilight pool to get a good swarm. The ability of the Vicious Warg is rarely used, moreover this Shadow is really good at the site 9 (far better than at any other site), so I decided to change the Vicious Warg. It needs the Watchful Orc to add twilight. After many tests, it seems balanced.
The Shadow also needs an ability which makes the Shadow player draw one or more cards (maybe only one because of Were-worms). I change the Demolition Troll's ability (and its card image)
Now, Azog only prevents the discard of Were-worms. It was the only goal of this passive ability, it could be a problem with the next Stone Giants Shadow.

Alfrid: The idea was to have the passive ability of Alfrid each time it would be useful. Before site 6, Alfrid costs [4].... I change ths replay part for Shadow (better to avoid sacrifice) without any cost reduction. His previous ability was great for swarming Shadows, with this additional minion I hope it will be still good.

Nazguls: There is a problem of twilight pool. We can compare it to the Trolls. For example, we can consider this situation:
a Shadow player hand with Yazneg, a Goblin Footman, two minions (Nazguls or Trolls) and other useful cards in the discard pile (Nazgul Sword, Troll Knife, other minions...) and Gandalf+Elrond in game and the corresponding replay condition (Troll Campfire or He Is Summoning His Servants): with 16 in the twilight pool (site 5 or region 3)
- the Troll Shadow will play 3 Trolls and one with a Troll Knife and no card in hand,
- the Nazgul Shadow will play Lemenya, Otsea, Attea and the Witch-King and one with a sword and 4 cards in hand.

Trolls will boost themselves in a passive way (Tom), one Troll is damage+1 and they are hard to killed by wounds (only Dawn take you all is useful). The Trolls are in a better situation here than Nazguls.

Sauron is in the same pack as the Nazguls. Yes, I need to playtest a bit more the [Sauron] Ring of Thror, but we need Sauron [5] in play to play it. Most of the time, the Shadow player will take the [Sauron] Ring of Thror from the discard pile ([2] with Danger Wrapped in Shadows), so [7]. With the previous situation, it will be the a bit better with 15 and 3 cards in hand and with Sauron in play. I don't know if it's too much, but the WK really needs this cost reduction.

I test the White Council pack against these Nazguls (with the reduction cost), and it's still balanced. The FP player brings Saruman or Elrond in the skirmish in case of a potential overwhelm. But I will playtest it again.

I change the abilities of Enquea and Cantea.

Savage Warg: I prefer not all Orcs. At the beginning of the Hobbit Draft Game, we consider Wargs for all Orcs, but it was too powerful with the Goblin Footman. Only [Gundabad] Orcs is ok. Goblins, Spiders, Trolls, Azog Shadow, Nazguls will have Enchanted River (maybe 3 times?).

Riddles in the Dark: I change the cost of the ability (only one card). It seems ok now.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 11:32:36 AM by -Enola- »

June 29, 2016, 06:04:25 PM
Reply #394

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #394 on: June 29, 2016, 06:04:25 PM »
I hope it's not too late to change the cards. I've been very busy and stressed, and my health was affected. But I'm back again.

Yes, I will do that at the end. It will be great if you have all the lore text corrections before the 2 July ;)
* Lore text: There's a bunch of small things to say.

- Fimbul: His lore is very messy, seems robotic. Mentions too many nouns (and not a single adjective or adverb). This came now to my mind, is only a rough idea of what'd be a better replacement: His strong will and keen senses were only surpased by his burning hatred for Dwarves. Or you can use the wink PJ did to a Gimli's Two Towers film line: "Dwarf-blood!" ;)

- Expert Burglar: The text is fine but should be located a bit above (just like Collector of Treasures), to not cover the beatiful textured part at the bottom of the card. This small problem is also shared by these cards: The Orc Army, His Wrath Was Redoubled, Crown of Erebor and War for Gold.

- Bolg, Commander: "Bolg is the skillful leader of the Gundabad Orc pack" Instead of "pack", should be something like "army", "host" or "legions"; otherwise the lore and the subtitle will be contradictory. I prefer "host".

- Du Bekâr: Might be changed to instead portray the Battle of Azanulbizar, with any of these 2:
* "'Our forces rallied and drove the Orcs back. And our enemy had been defeated.'"
* "'Azog the Defiler learned that day that the line of Durin would not be so easily broken.'"

- The general lore text rule used by Decipher differs a bit with yours. This point is of little importance. And it's a bit too late to change this, because to correct it you'd need to change almost every card (including the Main deck). But here it is...

Decipher used:
1) no quotation marks (text) when the text was made by themselves (like Lord of Moria or Farin DE);
2) double quotation marks ("text") when the quote was from Tolkien as narrator (like Galadriel LoL or Staff Asunder); and
3) double marks envolving single marks ("'text'") when the quote was from a character in a book or film (like Frodo RA or Let Them Come!).

Your system uses the same for 2 and 3: only double marks. So we cannot tell if is a character like Gandalf or the narrator who sais "It was pity that stayed his hand. Pity, and mercy..."; we both know it's Gandalf at the FOTR book (chapter 2 I believe). It's only a small detail, but becomes important in some cases when Tolkien's narration is alternated with a character's words, like Their Halls of Stone: "'These are not holes,' said Gimli. 'This is the great realm and city of the Dwarrowdelf. And of old it was not darksome, but full of light and splendour, as is still remembered in our songs.'"

As said before, it's a bit late to change it. The easiest way is to keep things as they are, and if a case needs it (like Their Halls of Stone), use only then both double and single marks.

More Yet To Come.
“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”  - Malcolm X

July 02, 2016, 04:16:15 PM
Reply #395

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #395 on: July 02, 2016, 04:16:15 PM »
I know it's a bit late to answer, but here it is anyway. This week has been really troublesome and just couldn't answer before. :(

- Bilbo: I'd prefer the Expert Burglar have an active skill to "Skirmish: Play a [Dwarven] event to draw 2 cards and then discard 2 cards from hand". His if-Bilbo-wins skill is much weaker than the other 3, so perhaps will be better to not wait until he wins the skirmish ;).

The point about Master in Riddles riddling with Smaug is mainly about flavor. :P Making Smaug str -1 for each 2 cards discarded isn't big deal, will be useful only sometimes to not be overwhelmed, and even less often to defeat him.

- Alfrid: Seems much better. The FP player can kill him at a normal skirmish to allow Dale allies to fight free at fierce skirmishes. And can absorb 1 or 2 arrows if you don't believe he'll survive 'till the fierce assignment. Besides, there are 3 Dale archers, so he comes in handy to absorb the arrows they'll shoot if they carry weapons to help the Company. :up:

- Riddles in the Dark: Now the Shadow depends on vitality and X cards in hand, while Bilbo depends on 2X cards in hand. Seems more perilous, but the FP player can foresee it, and condition control can counter it. Will be very useful with grind/archery shadows. :up:

- Assaulting Goblin: :up:
- Du Bekar: Seems fine, I like a lot that event. :up:
- Savage Warg: Hmmm, alright. Fimbul comes with the new extension, so he can give those non-Orc shadows some muscle. He's a bit weaker than the Footman (str -1), but more durable and harmful (vit +1 and dmg+1) so with a mount should cause more troubles. :up:

- Enchanted River: I think it's very powerful as it is, so don't change it to 3 exertions. But it still has a spare card line, and as the title says, site 5 must be a river (but the only site 5 river is Forest River in the Mirkwood pack!!). So Enchanted River should have a new line at the top: "Site 5 is a marsh and a river."

I know such a line can't affect anything by now (except Barrels), but those keywords can be useful for the new Mirkwood or Men shadow cultures (or for the Shadow cards in the new Supplementary packs). It's mainly for flavor ;).

* Azog swarm:

- Vicious Warg: Cool change! Like the other cultures, they'll depend on the Watchful Orc. :up:
- Demolition Troll: Interesting, I like it. The new picture is much better (is actually a Troll, while the other is an "ogre"). :up: He can now feed both the Were-worms at maneuver and Hatred Rekindled at shadow.
- Azog Commander: Ok. But there is another vital condition on which they depend: Hatred Rekindled. If that card gets discarded, you'll rely only on Hosts of Thousands (or other copies in hand) to play the 2 orcs that set up the engine: Azog to play [Moria] minions from discard, and Watchful Orc to get the necessary battleground keyword. Try to add that to his text. But to have enough room, you'll need to remove either "While" or "from play".

* Nazguls:

- WK, Attea & Toldea: I agree that those big Nazguls will need the cost reduction, your explanation is enough. But I think only the Witch King shouldn't have a limit, while Attea and Toldea should be "limit -3". Because with the White Council pack there'll be often 4 Wise characters, and then 1 sole card (The Great Enemy) will bring too many advantages. Yes, Sauron is expensive and his Ring is a 2 card combo that seldom won't cost [7], but the 3 big Nazguls will spot 4 Wise guys and the ring will make them cost -2, so Attea and Toldea then will come for free and the WK for only [2].

And instead of choosing those big Nazzies with The Great Enemy (if you have the [Wraith] condition), you can choose Yazneg to get a bigger reduction (or Goblin Footman for the same + a Dol Guldur Blade!)...  So if you have that event (+ both [Sauron] and [Wraith] conditions), for mere 10 twilight tokens and 4 Wise characters you'll play Sauron + his Ring (str 15 dmg+1, direct assignment), Attea (str 12), Toldea (str 12), Witch King (str 14) + 1 or 2 blades... and will still have 7 cards in hand!

A "limit -3" will make Attea and Toldea cost [3] with 3+ Wise guys, or [1] with also Sauron + Ring of Thrór or from discard... and (0) with both. That increases a bit the cost of the example above. Seems much better. So Attea and Toldea would have this text: "This minion is twilight cost -1 for each Wise character you spot (limit -3). The Witch King would have no limit. Enquea is a bit different, he's a middle-point between a big fighter like Attea and a disruptive middle strength one like Cantea. I believe he can have a "limit -2".

- Enquea & Cantea: Ok for the new skills.

In the "Trolls vs Nazguls" example you provide, you can still discard 3 cards with Hatred Rekindled to get the Footman again and another Blade on your Nazgul. The cost is still 16 twilight if you save Yazneg in hand (and can now be discarded with Attea/Dol Guldur Blade!). So you'd get 2x 11 str nazguls (Lemenya and Otsea with weapons), 1x 12 str Attea and 1x 14 str WK; all fierce. And 2 cards in hand, 1 being an Orc (Yazneg). You lose the damage bonus, but increase a lot the strength of those fierce wraiths.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 05:10:59 PM by Durin's Heir »

July 04, 2016, 10:24:37 AM
Reply #396

-Enola-

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #396 on: July 04, 2016, 10:24:37 AM »
Thank you for your remarks. I hope you are all right, and your health will be better soon.

I modify a lot of cards after the last tournament (Expert Burglar, Pity, Riddles, Caught, Alfrid, the Evil becomes Stronger, Azog's Mace and a lot of cards in the swarm pack 2 and beatdown pack 2).
I hope this will be the final version (I will change the lore text and the bottom of the card at the end).

Pity this card gives me a lot of problem (the previous version was far too weak), I hope this is better now, otherwise I will bring back the Bilbo's Pony :(.

Enchanted River: I prefer a simple card for a simple use. Btw, I made a mistake : I wanted to write 3 copies (and not 3 times) of Enchanted River in the Wizard Pack and 2 copies of Savage Warg.

Azog, Commander: the previous ability of Azog was too strong, I made it a bit weaker. You are right this Shadow needs a lot Hatred Rekindled, but the FP player needs some ways to counter this Shadow.

Nazguls: they are ok now.

Bilbo, Expert Burglar: better now.

Tell me if you have any remarks on the current cards. I will print them soon...
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 09:30:40 AM by -Enola- »

July 06, 2016, 08:18:42 PM
Reply #397

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #397 on: July 06, 2016, 08:18:42 PM »
Thank you for your remarks. I hope you are all right, and your health will be better soon.
It comes and goes... but thanks my good friend! ;)

- Bilbo, Expert Burglar: Seems fine.
- Orkish Bow: Exert or discard, great! :up:
- Caught in a Sack: Stronger as a condition. Nice! :up:
- The Evil Becomes Stronger: 2 exertions + an arrow was too much. :up:

- Alfrid: Bravo! =D> Just awesome! He can either take arrows, or play a condition, but not both. He can flatter a Dale man to be back in the game. And can join a swarm without costing a hand slot.  =D>

- Pity: Hmmm, seems that Bilbo had a hard time winning his skirmishes. Ok as a skirmish event, but as an event it must be something very important (a game changer). And I believe it MUST allow to recover things from discard, so it can counter Riddles (which discards your cards either from hand or from play): "Make Bilbo strength +2. If he wins this skirmish, you may prevent all wounds to losing minions and spot X [Dwarven] followers to choose one: heal X companions, or place X [Shire] cards from your discard pile on top of you draw deck." 6 lines.

So you can either heal, or recover [Shire] cards. The 2nd option interacts with Bilbo's new skills: he wins, then you play this event, and then use his skill to draw the [Shire] cards you just recovered (or use Barrels to draw them at regroup). You can either recover events for a double move (Barrels, Skillful Negociator, another copy of Pity), or discarded items/Thrush to play at the next turn. But if you don't double, those [Shire] cards will clog your hand (and you'll need to stop to replay recovered items), so shouldn't be OP. An event to fight and double move can represent well Bilbo as an adventurer.

Pity should NOT depend on The One Ring. It was Bilbo's kind spirit, in spite of the Ring's evil influence. And Gandalf's words in the film: "True courage is about knowing not when to take a life, but when to spare one."

- Nazguls: I've been thinking about the twilight reduction. Compared to LOTR tcg, they must rely on playing orcs, roam a lot more, and lack Morgul Gates / Black Marshal / Ghastly Host to make them viable in group (or against choke). So those big Nazzies can be -1 twilight per Wise guy, with a "(limit -2)" to emulate Morgul Gates (and no limit for The Witch King).

The [Wraith] condition reduces their cost, but the real reduction is -1 or even 0: only Fimbul or Footman+Blade cost less than the reduction. So I think Attea, Toldea and Enquea should have a "limit -2".

- Enchanted River: More copies allow to play it sooner (hopefully before the Company moves to 5). And to discard it more often, but in that case the cost [2] can be restrictive. So yes, change it to 3x copies, but reduce then its cost to only [1]... Hmmm, I don't think that a line like "Site 5 is a river" will be confusing anyone ;).

- Savage Warg Another option is to allow the Savage Warg to be borne by ANY Orc, but reducing the str bonus so a mounted Goblin Footman won't be so powerful. "Cost 2, Str +2, Vit +1" will make the Footman a str 10 vit 2 fierce minion merely. And will be more efficient in twilight.

- Azog, Commander: Seems better without the cost reduction :up:. But I guess Battle of Azanulbizar (and Ring of Thrór replaying it) is really powerful against this Azog, he can be exhausted before using his skill (or simply killed after using it). If exhausted, his response skill is useless, and he'll exhaust himself... :-k

A healing trick can solve that problem. Were-worms might say "Maneuver: Play an Orc to heal an Orc". Or an unique minion like The Wolves Army might say "When you play this minion, you may heal a [Moria] minion and play a [Moria] card..."

I hope this will be the final version.
I hope so. To be included in Gemp, each card might need a different number at the right bottom to be identificated.

I'll be writing more in the next days (or at least that's what I hope ;)).

July 07, 2016, 10:24:13 AM
Reply #398

-Enola-

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #398 on: July 07, 2016, 10:24:13 AM »
Pity: With the previous version of Pity, no one wanted it during the draft phase and during the tournament it was only use once.
An event with a direct impact seems far better for the players, the best way would be removing doubts, but this will unbalance the game against corrupt Shadows.
We can change the title and the lore text of the current card, which is really good in play (similar as Phial 10R13). Moreover, Old Trush could bring back [Shire] cards from the discard pile.

Nazguls: Ok, I will change these cards.

Enchanted River: [2] seems ok, it's a really good card in any Shadow. I think I will let it with 2 copies, Ancestral Feuds is similar and has only 2 copies.
During a draft tournament, players took a lot of time reading all the cards, that's why I prefer a shorter version ;).

Savage Warg: I prefer not, it's probably one of the best Warg. I want to balance it with the Wargs Shadow.

Azog: Yes, Azog CotWA is often killed, but he brings before a lot of minions which will make a lot of wounds. Btw, several assaulting Goblins protect him very well (or only one with a Warg). The problem with the discard of Were-Worms was during maneuver phase, it stopped entirely the Shadow if there was too few twilight tokens. The discard of Were-Worms at the end of the maneuver phase is a smaller problem. There is some ways to play it back (The Wolves Army, Not At Home...).
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 10:40:02 AM by -Enola- »

July 07, 2016, 05:44:10 PM
Reply #399

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #399 on: July 07, 2016, 05:44:10 PM »
- Pity: Ok for not removing doubts (the Accorn does already that). The new event is really powerful, but should exclude either Smaug or keywords, otherwise Bilbo (3) + Sting (5) + The One (7) + this event (9) will face a damageless Smaug and take only 1 doubt (and Smaug will lose fierce!).

Is true that Old Thrush recovers things, but is discarded in the process and can't return. And the pack still lacks healing. The pack has a problem with discarding, which is previous to and aggravated by the shadow add-on Riddles in the Dark (due to being based on 3 events and 2 discard-to-use items/followers); while the other add-on (Caught in a Sack) deepens the lack of wound-remotion (accompanied by a really high exertion demand of the FP cards). So the only FP add-on must fix those imbalances, while giving Bilbo more fighting power. That's why I proposed an event with those 2 options to choose if Bilbo wins his skirmish.

Your new event is really good, but can't fix those 2 absences. So changing the title, lore text and picture won't be enough; besides, this pack is the right moment to confront Gollum's evil and riddles with some pity from the Shirefolk.

A last thing. An event as this will have a bigger impact if has 3 copies.

- Nazguls: Great! I still can't see the changes, probably you still don't upload them, that's ok...

Attea has a lore text error, because "most" and "strongest" are both superlative terms. So remove one or the other. Or both, and leave it as "stronger" (because to have the most strength, they needed also their foes' terror collaborating, that's why Aragorn, Gandalf, Glorfindel and few others like steward Boromir the First could withstand them). "The Nazgûl were strongest/stronger at night".

- Enchanted River: OK. :up:

- Savage Warg: There's still another option: make it cost [2] and give str +2 and vit +1, but also say "bearer is fierce (and strength +2 if is [Gundabad])". That way a mounted Goblin Footman'd be [5] str 10 vit 2 fierce, while a mounted Fimbul'd be [4] str 11 vit 3 fierce dmg+1, or Watchful Orc [6] str 12 vit 2/4 and fierce.

- Azog: Ok. Seems right then to let Were-worms be discarded after doing its job. But I think Azog should have a very costly alternative to survive 'till skirmishes. Perhaps if you add at the end of its Maneuver skill "You may remove 3 doubts to heal Azog" (to exert and immediatly heal), he'll have enough vitality to face the Company, while still getting an army from discard pile. I'd be rarely used, mostly at site 9 for the last assault (and will give utility to doubts if Ravenhill, Northern Slopes or Thrór's Throne is the site 9). A mounted Azog is much stronger than a mounted Assaulting Goblin or Wolves Army, he should be fighting at the very end.

- Underground Lake: The new version doesn't give anything to the FP player. I think it may be "Maneuver: play a Shadow condition or a Ring from your draw deck or discard pile (limit once per turn player)". Or "a [Shire] Ring" to be more strict to the lore, but "any Ring" will help also the Sauron pack and the FP packs Thráin, White Council and the soon-to-come Elrond pack.

- Dragon's Malice: A wording error. Should say "If you can spot Smaug and Bilbo is wearing...". The current wording might be interpreted as "both Smaug and Bilbo are wearing The One Ring", which is an impossible gameplay option and won't mislead anyone, but sounds weird and a bit ugly.

- Vicious Warg: Ok to refer to the next site, but there's no next site at 9. Perhaps should add some twilight, but less than [3], when the current site is a battleground: "When you play this possession, you may add [1] if at a battleground site (or [3] if the fellowship's next site is a battleground)." Remember it's a swarm shadow, the mount is very expensive, more proper for a beatdown shadow. At site 9 your FP cards in hand will feed Were-worms (or Hatred Rekindled), but still a [2] to [4] Orc + a [3] mount is too much for a swarm.

- His Wrath Was Redoubled: The new version is weaker than Barrels. I think it should be something like this: "If the fellowship moves during the regroup phase, exert a Wizard and spot Beorn to wound each minion once (or twice if you discard Beorn) (except Smaug)." But your new version is too weak for such important character, and such high cost.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 11:11:45 AM by Durin's Heir »

July 08, 2016, 02:58:47 AM
Reply #400

-Enola-

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #400 on: July 08, 2016, 02:58:47 AM »
- Pity: Yes, the current card is a very good counter to Smaug (not the Shadow Smaug, since Bilbo will take 2 doubts). We could change the current card for another card, but not with a winning condition (Bilbo will not win skirmishes very often, so the card will not be very attractive). I will keep the current version of Pity until there will be another good proposition.

The name of the card could be change for something about the power of the Ring and the stealth of Bilbo.

- Nazguls: Done now.

-  Azog: I think Azog is ok with the current version. No need to use the doubts, Bolg CoTOA is also good in this Shadow or even Danger wrapped in Shadows. Ravenhill could be also good for the Azog Swarm (removing an exhausted Azog from the game, then replaying a lively Azog from discard pile). The Shadow player can play a lot of Goblin Footman, bringing back many Vicious Warg (I would like to put it in 4 copies, but what can I remove ?).

- Vicious Warg: I made this new ability to balance the difference between site 9 (battleground) and other sites. At site 9, the Shadow player doesn't need a [4] Orc. The Vicious Warg only costs [2] with Were-Worms. Moreover, the Battle of the Five Armies helps a lot this Shadow. After many tests, it seems balanced now.

- His Wrath Was Redoubled: Remember that the card is in the same pack as Beorn. Beorn cannot be discarded and will easily take back this event for a good double move. I think 2 minions are enough. That's why this [Gandalf] event must be a bit weaker than Barrels.

- Dragon's Malice: The wording was similar to Wraith-world. But you are right, I change it.

- Underground Lake: If the FP player can play the Ring, there will be no good advantage for Goblin Town. It's simpler with the current card.

- Savage Warg: A Warg for all Orcs is really powerful for the Wargs Shadow (btw the Vicious Warg will be taken a lot of time by these players.... maybe only +1 or +2 in strength for the Vicious Warg? As a muticulture penalty.). The Savage Warg will be really good in the Gollum Shadow, the Sauron Shadow and the Bolg Shadow too.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 03:01:24 AM by -Enola- »

July 08, 2016, 06:07:39 PM
Reply #401

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #401 on: July 08, 2016, 06:07:39 PM »
I need a name for the extension I ;).
The cards that have most presence and importance in this Extension set are the 2 Shadow packs. So the name must be in accordance to those Shadow packs' stories. Those packs portray the final clash of good and evil forces: the Company vs Smaug, the White Council vs Sauron and the Free Peoples armies vs the Shadow armies.

So I got this 3 possible names by now:
1.- The Dragon and The One. (A film quote of Thráin.) The alliance between these 2 great forces of evil shapes the rise of an unexpected War, only to be interfered by an old Dwarf-lord's thirst for revenge, the tireless vigilance of The Wise, and a hidden power at work who sets the good folks' differences against their own annihilation.

2.- The Gathering of the Clouds. After the Company enters Erebor and the White Council assaults its old Enemy's lair, the evil's plans are untimely unleashed and as result many armies march and meet to an inevitable end before the Mountain's foot.

3.- The Clouds Burst. The Armies meet at the field, and those who were friends of old are now at the edge of strife and slaughter. But the tide turns, as an outnumbering invading host forces them to set their differences aside and fight not for gold and glory, but for survival.

I like the first most. Tell me what you think. ;)

- Pity: Hmm, ok. There are 2 possibilities now, let's work both. Your really powerful event lacks a proper title and lore text, and the original Pity might remain if a substantially better proposition is done. But I'll put much effort on preserving Pity, because the pack will desperately need healing and/or card recovery.

* For your event, I'd change the title to any of these: "Another Power At Work" or "Meant to Find It", showing Ilúvatar's providence interfering put Bilbo's path and hand on the One Ring, in the midst of darkness. A corresponding lore text (limited to only 2 lines, as the current game text uses 5) would be this: "...it abandoned Gollum. Only to be picked up by the most unlikely person imaginable: Bilbo from the Shire!" (Gandalf, FotR book I, chapter 2)

A new picture'd be necessary. When Bilbo takes picks The Ring with his fingers and examines it. It's at 02:11:34 in the EE.

* For the old Pity, ok to not be dependant on winning skirmishes. It might prevent "all wounds to the losing side" (either Bilbo or the minions!) or even "all wounds in his skirmish" (which is shorter and prevents also mid-skirmish wounds), and if he wears The One, place X cards from discard on top of the draw deck. X can be a fixed number like 3, or a variable depending on Bilbo's resistance (limit 3 or 4), Bilbo's vitality, [Dwarven] companions... An example:

"Make Bilbo strength +2 and prevent all wounds in his skirmish. If he wears the One Ring, you may place 3 [Shire] cards from your discard pile on top of your draw deck." (5 lines)

Has almost 2 spare lines, so can still be changed a good bunch. Instead can be "[Shire] or [Dwarven] cards", "Free Peoples cards", have an option to "heal 3 companions or place 3 cards...", or make the number a variable X and explain "while X is...". This new version is much stronger, as prevents wounds to Bilbo and doesn't depend on winning skirmishes (but to draw those recovered cards, you still need Bilbo's "if-he-wins" skill ;)). And can still be shaped a lot at your will!

- Nazguls: :up:
- Dragon's Malice: :up: But I forgot to mention a thing about this card: if Bilbo wears the One he'll be str +4 (7) and won't take wounds. With Sting (9) he'll easily confront Smaug, and the dragon won't overwhelm him without events. Followers make things even worse, Dori being the most problematic... All in all, it's ok to make Bilbo stronger but perhaps str +1 will be better than str +2...

Another option is to keep the str +2, but allow to exert any companion Bilbo besides the doubt if Smaug wins. I like that better, but don't know how it'll behave in the game.

- Underground Lake: There will still be an advantage: playing a condition from deck (or recovering from discard). Conditions can be huge, and Riddles can push to discard the newly-played One Ring. And can be huge with Sauron and the [Sauron] Ring of Thrór (which as only 2 copies in draft)...

Azog: The doubt-skill idea was for flavor (I just cannot like the idea of Azog being killed by Kili or an event at the most important site! :P). Removing 3 or 6 doubts to keep him (your best orc warrior!) alive, or to allow him to play 1 or 2 more minions IF you can make the twilight, doesn't seem excessive in my opinion. Moreover with the new weaker Azog (no cost reduction, and having to exert to protect the Were-worms)...

A last thing: if he has to exert to protect the Were-worms, might protect ANY [Moria] condition instead. That way a Banner of Command in a new Extension would have a support from such skill. (The Stone Giants will probably work only with posessions and events).

The Shadow player can play a lot of Goblin Footman, bringing back many Vicious Warg (I would like to put it in 4 copies, but what can I remove ?).
Perhaps Azog. Bolg has 3 copies, while Azog has 4. Or Were-worms, which has 3 copies can is still very useful with 2, as The Wolves Army can play it from draw deck. I'd try with Were-worms (to not reduce the minion count). Hmmm, changed my mind: if Were-worms had only 2 copies, it'd be easy to counterdraft. Try reducing Azog then to 3 copies (like Were-worms, can be pulled from deck by The Wolves Army, and from discard by Hatred Rekindled / Hosts of Thousands).

EDIT: Here are th 3 missing cards.

- Savage Warg: That's the idea, to make it usable by other cultures. But cultures that discard Orcs to be played / gain benefits (Spiders, Nazguls, Trolls) won't like to spend [7] or more in a Footman (3), this mount (3) and a Gundabad Orc of [1] or more. So those players who seek Nazguls or Spiders in the draft, they'll pick this Savage Warg mostly to counterdraft it.

Can be cost [3], str +2 & vit +1, with a bonus of str +1 for Gundabad orcs; it'd be the worst Warg in cost vs benefit for non-Gundabad orcs, but exactly like War-warg for Gundabad ones. Or can be cost [2], str +2 and vit +1 to anyone, and +2 bonus to Gundabad for a total +3 str (it'd be still adding valuable vitality and fierce keyword to other cultures). But if this warg can't be borne by any Orc, non-Gundabad Orcs like the Great Goblin or the [Sauron] versions of Azog and Bolg won't have any mount option to make them fierce and/or more durable (except if they meet the Swarm pack 2).

- Vicious Warg: There's another thing this mount might do if the current site is a battleground: draw a card. That way, Demolition Troll might do anything else instead of drawing a card.

- His Wrath Was Redoubled: Hmmm, alright, 2 minions is enough :up:. But Barrels is a regroup action, and as such can stop perilous Shadow regroup actions (Smaug, Jail, Bolg's army...). And the cost much higher: discard Beorn (can only return with The Eagles Are Coming) and add [3] (which'll feed the next shadow phase). And can't make the move limit +1. So I firmly believe it should be a regroup event, and not a response to double moves.

[3] His Wrath Was Redoubled [Gandalf]
Event • Regroup
Spell.
Discard Beorn to discard up to 2 minions (except Smaug).

(3 lines)

Now, there's another loose end. This event takes place in the film/book at site 9, where there's no regroup phase. So this event should be usable at either "site 9" or at "a battleground" site. I think it should be this: "At a battleground site, you may play this event during a skirmish phase".

Too mighty, I know, but can be controlled if it affects only minions that are "not assigned to a skirmish". That way, at site 9 Bilbo or Thorin won't be saved from being killed in a fight, but whatever is the end of that fight, Beorn can kill the minions that survived it to erase their influence (The Orc Army, Sauron) or prevent them from participating in the fierce round...

Event • Regroup
Spell.
Discard Beorn to discard up to 2 minions not assigned to skirmish (except Smaug).
At a battleground site, you may play this event during a skirmish phase.

(5 lines, so the current 2-lines lore text can remain unchanged)

I made this event, and later noticed it is very similar to [Shire] (12R120) Diversion (in both effect and wording). But Diversion can discard a minion that's still skirmishing. So Beorn can't save Bilbo from being killed by, let's say, Bolg mounted + a Troll. But if Bilbo survives somehow (Gwaihir can cancel the skirmish due to Bolg's mount), Beorn can then destroy those minions (and erase the Troll's skirmish skill, and Bolg's fierce skirmish).

This new version can portray much more precisely the story told by Tolkien: Thorin fights Bolg + his Bodyguards (at a battleground site), and is wounded to death (Beorn can't save him). Then comes Beorn and crushes the orc leader + his bodyguards (Bolg's leadership vanishes among his troops). But the damage is done, as Thorin + his nephews die irremediably. Those orcs that survived and are still willing to fight ("fierce"), don't have the support of Bolg's command anymore.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 09:26:18 PM by Durin's Heir »

July 11, 2016, 02:16:59 AM
Reply #402

-Enola-

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #402 on: July 11, 2016, 02:16:59 AM »
- His Wrath Was Redoubled: The 2 regroup (or skirmish/regroup) events you proposed will make too much damage against a Bolg Shadow. Barrels needs two exerts on Dwarves to be played (so it is more balanced against a mass wounding Shadow). Another way to play this event seems necessary if the player doesn't draft Beorn. I prefer the current version.

- Vicious Warg: I don't think adding a new line on this card is a good idea. It's ok with the current version. The 4 copies of Azog seem necessary, if a player drafts a lot of good [Moria] cards and can't get Azog, he can't play this Shadow (moreover, Hatred+Host must take back Azog and Watchful Orc at each site).

- Azog: Adding new lines only for flavor isn't a good idea. I prefer only Were-Worms, we will have freedom for [Moria] conditions that way.

- Savage Warg: Ok for any Orc, but with no advantage for [Gundabad] Orcs. It will be simpler with str.+2 and vita. +1 for all Orcs.

- Underground Lake: I think you missread my answer. I talked about the advantage of Goblin Town.

- Dragon's Malice: I delete the strength bonus of Bilbo. It wasn't balanced.

- An Invisible Ring: Ok for this new card. I still don't like your new version of Pity, not punchy at all (players need cards with a direct effect). Sure, Riddles in the Dark could discard the One Ring and Sting, but this condition is rarely used in game. The FP players tries to avoid in all possible ways exerting or wounding Bilbo. And the Bilbo pack is the only pack with 3 FP cards discarding Shadow conditions.

I like The Clouds Burst most ;). Thank you!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 05:03:20 AM by -Enola- »

July 12, 2016, 08:33:56 AM
Reply #403

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #403 on: July 12, 2016, 08:33:56 AM »
Let it be called The Clouds Burst! :up:

- Azog: Ok. A card like Goblin Reinforcements would be nice here, but is ok as it is.
- Vicious Warg: Perhaps this might "heal a [Moria] minion" at a battleground.
- Dragon's Malice: :up:
- Savage Warg: Ok for str +2 vit +1. But reduce the cost to [2] only (to be like Warg).

- Underground Lake: Goblin-town still has a higher Shadow number by [1] (just like The Troll Hoard allows the FP player only to use its text, and costs [1] more). And can be better for the FP player, who can play it with Watchful Orc to protect his/her own fellowship (or with Thrór's Map if both packs meet). And remember that Bag End doesn't provide a real advantage over Bilbo's Kitchen, just like Mirkwood doesn't have anything over Old Forest Road.

Moreover, if the [Shire] event "An Invisible Ring" / "Pity" is going to use The One Ring, the pack must provide a site to play it from deck to be consistent (only Gandalf the Grey will get it with relative ease). Might be only "a [Shire] Ring", but if is "any Ring" Sauron will be greatly benefited (even if he cannot spend [2] to be able to fight, getting that Ring into discard pile will allow the [Sauron] condition to start cycling it). As a small detail, it's a river to trigger Barrels / Orkish Bow.

- His Wrath Was Redoubled: Ok. You mention 2 things the event needs: must be a response to a double move, and must provide an alternative cost. Alright. I made this new version to satisfy both aspects, while keeping the skirmish part... In short, does EXACTLY what my regroup/skirmish version did, except that now at regroup requires a double move to trigger (and thus doesn't block Bolg's army orcs), AND has an alternative cost if you don't have Beorn.

Event • Response
Spell.
If the fellowship moves* (or if a skirmish ends at a battleground), discard Beorn or 2 [Gandalf] cards to discard up to 2 minions not assigned to skirmish (except Smaug).

(* worded like Theoden Leader of Spears, to keep it at 4 lines + the line used by "spell" only)

It's again an "if the fellowship moves again" event, but can be played at a skirmish if at a battleground (note that only your opponent can force that keyword). At a skirmish, can be played only when the skirmish ends, so can't save Bilbo from being killed in a fight (and works like Knight's Mount: can't target a minion that is losing a skirmish to that knight, only others that already aren't skirmishing)...

The alternative costs discards [Gandalf] cards in play. There are 5 other [Gandalf] cards than Beorn that stay on the board: Gandalf, Glamdring, Gwaihir, Radagast and Wizard Staff (White Council pack can broaden the list with Saruman and Narya); all are expensive and very useful cards. So you can discard any 2 of those, if you lack Beorn (or want to preserve him). Radagast can't fight at another site than 5 (unless meets Bilbo's pack), so this alternative cost can give him another use at the late game.

- An Invisible Ring: Good name! :up:

- Pity: This can be really powerful. Helps to win a skirmish (str +2), or to lose it well (prevents wounds, and the pump reduces the chances of being overwhelmed). By preventing wounds, you prevent Riddles from triggering (unless you exert), and absorbs all damage bonuses (Smaug, Azog + his Mace, Bolg, Witch King, Sauron + Ring of Thrór...)! If he wears the Ring, you can recover [Shire] things used/discarded, and get them if he wins the skirmish with Bilbo's new skills.

The main problem of your event is that doesn't fix the 2 problems of the pack: lack of healing (with big exertion pressure), and lack of card recovery (with big discard pressure). Another big problem is that destroys Smaug by removing his fierce and damage +2 keywords (he will only fight once and against Bilbo, he can merely try to overwhelm him but Bilbo's already pumped to 7 + weapon + followers, and can be bearing Dori).

Some healing can be added to Pity, to counter the 2 problems of the pack:

"Make Bilbo strength +2 and prevent all wounds in his skirmish. If he wears The One Ring, you may heal a companion and place up to 3 Shire cards from your discard pile on top of your draw deck." (5 lines, there's still 1 free to add more power...)

Or might even be the opposite, for more healing and less recovering: "you may heal 2 companions and place 1 [Shire] card from your discard pile...".
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 09:00:21 AM by Durin's Heir »

July 12, 2016, 11:12:15 AM
Reply #404

-Enola-

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #404 on: July 12, 2016, 11:12:15 AM »
- Savage Warg: The [3] cost is a kind of penalty culture. This warg can be used by all Orcs, and the effect is really powerful.

- Underground Lake: Ok for the difference between main deck sites and booster sites (they are better, because they have to be grabbed). But each player can play Goblin Town, so there is a way to get the One Ring. I change it only for the flavor, but now it's only from the draw deck: I have not enough room for the "from discard pile", and "Shadow" condition seems necessary to not confuse players. Since the site is really powerful for the Shadow player, the cost must be [2] rather than [3].

- His Wrath Was Redoubled: Ouch! That card is really complicated for new players to understand. I know you want to see Beorn skirmishing at site 9, but the current event will exactly be played most of the time during the move to site 9. The discard of [Dwarven] followers is great since cards like To Me! O my Kinsfolk! is very rarely used: the FP player has to bring back [Dwarven] followers before playing this [Gandalf] event.

- Pity: In a LOTR TCG, Phial 10R is a great card, stopping a fierce 19P Balrog with bounder+sword. Smaug costs much less than the Balrog and will be played at site 8 from the discard pile without any other cost. Smaug is just a supplementary minion in all the Shadows (except the Smaug one). In the Smaug Shadow, Bilbo puts the One Ring and will take a wound=2 doubts (similar as 2 winning skirmishes from Smaug with Dragon's Malice). Moreover, Orkish Aggressor will put pressure on Bilbo to avoid this situation.

Lore of Imladris is not often used. A pack with too much healing will unbalanced this even more. Old Thrush can bring back a lot of cards from the discard pile.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 11:24:10 AM by -Enola- »