LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Mallorn Trees  (Read 3846 times)

January 09, 2015, 04:18:16 PM
Read 3846 times

BigRedMF

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
Mallorn Trees
« on: January 09, 2015, 04:18:16 PM »
So every now and then a card piques my interest - I have been pondering the purpose of Mallorn Trees for a while now and have a semblance of a deck that could be built around it. This is just for fun obviously, more than likely this deck would get trashed by any half-decent shadow, but maybe with a little input from everyone it could be fun to play!

The only other card that seems to have any use with Mallorn Trees is Beren and Luthien. This would lead me to play a bunch of Elven allies, and naturally to use Arwen Lady Undomiel and Elrond LoR to heal the allies. With so many allies, Forests of Lothlorien seems like a great card to put in as well. In order to continue putting cards under my deck, I think Dear Friends would be a perfect card for this deck. I have considered using Gimli DoE, but honestly Mallorn Trees accomplishes more without costing any twilight (but reveals the cards you put under). I also considered Hugin, but that would mean investing in Gandalf as well.

So just as a starting point, I already have 25 cards. Maybe the Forests are not worth keeping in order to make room for some more companions/weapons/Elven cards.

1x Arwen LU (starting)
1x Legolas GL (starting)
2x Mallorn Trees
4x Dear Friends
4x Forests of Lothlorien
3x Elrond LoR
3x Galadriel LoL
1x Rumil
1x Orophin
1x Erestor
1x Galdor
1x Golradir
1x Saelbeth
1x Silinde

This is just a rough start, I welcome thoughts and suggestions!

January 09, 2015, 05:32:36 PM
Reply #1

Legion

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
Re: Mallorn Trees
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 05:32:36 PM »
Sounds complicated (which normally spells doom in Fellowship block).  If you can get it to work, I'd love to see it!  Just don't pair it with The Underdeeps of Moria shadow...

The trouble with Elven Conditions is Goblin Scrabbler means Sauron, Moria and Isengard can discard them easily (and the Pale Blade can for Nazgul), so I never build decks around them.  But still, good luck!!

January 09, 2015, 05:49:44 PM
Reply #2

BigRedMF

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 05:49:44 PM »
Like I said, this is not intended to be a competitive deck but just something to make use of the (seemingly) useless Mallorn-trees.

January 10, 2015, 11:09:26 AM
Reply #3

Ringbearer

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 11:09:26 AM »
I cant thing of a decent deck, but what you have to take in account is that you will discard up to 8 cards with Beren and Luthien. You have to adjust your decksize for it, in return decereasing the odds you will draw the correct card.

January 10, 2015, 12:55:21 PM
Reply #4

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 12:55:21 PM »
Put in lots of cards that play the next site, so you don't lose those allies at site 7!
"I would have followed you, my brother... my captain... my king." - Boromir

January 10, 2015, 07:24:16 PM
Reply #5

BigRedMF

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 07:24:16 PM »
So I threw together a deck just to try out the concept. It actually worked decently but would certainly fall hard to even a semi-decent shadow. Here is a replay, I managed to walk to Site 9 vs Twilight Nazgul thanks to the fact that my opponent was only playing 1 minion a turn. I did consider the fact that the whole thing would come to a halt if my opponent had Anduin Confluence but I guess that was also lucky for me (this game).

http://www.gempukku.com/gemp-lotr/game.html?replayId=bigredmf$9hzawzidzh09pw1w

I didn't include ANY Frodo protection or ANY other companions, but this was really just to test it out. I didn't draw my 3rd Site 3 ally until late in the game, but still managed to hang on until Arwen could fight. I was surprised that I went through my entire deck, but probably 10 or so cards were thanks to Dwarven Axe.

BTW, Aragail is a poor sport. He left the game without conceding after cursing that he only had 1 minion.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 07:26:56 PM by BigRedMF »