LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Realm of Dwarrowdelf/Shoulder to Shoulder Fellowship Deck  (Read 15425 times)

July 25, 2015, 10:06:07 PM
Reply #15

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook
Re: Realm of Dwarrowdelf/Shoulder to Shoulder Fellowship Deck
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2015, 10:06:07 PM »
Now on Mk 26! Fellowship hasn't changed much. The Shadow is still a work in progress.

Orc Bowmen proved too expensive, undependable, and just didn't deal enough wounds to justify its presence. I replaced it with 4x Hate, which seems to be more useful so far, even though I reduced the number of trackers to 6.

I've concluded I really do need the most powerful condition removal after all, 4x Saruman's Power. Similar to what I did with Hate, added 6 Isengard minions to use with it; 2x Goblin Man (always useful to look at your opponent's hand) and 4x Orc Overseer (can disable key companions who exert, and compliments Hate).

Fear hasn't been effective enough against allies, too often I'll just see another copy of the same ally come out the next turn. Now trying Their Power is in Terror. If that doesn't work satisfactorally, I may go back to Tower Assassin.

Lastly, swapped 2x Shotgun Enquea out for a cheaper Nazgul, Otsea. Shotgun was just too expensive, and rarely used.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 12:20:14 AM by sgtdraino »
"I would have followed you, my brother... my captain... my king." - Boromir

July 26, 2015, 04:56:56 AM
Reply #16

Dictionary

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Duplicitous Deckbuilder
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2015, 04:56:56 AM »
I do often find that most players don't use 6 companions in Fellowship Block, but some have disagreed with me on this. I prefer Greed, but obviously you'd need uruks for that, and I know you've already ruled them out for this deck. Just out of curiosity, how often have you faced large fellowships?
Visit LOTR TCG wiki for strategy articles and extra card details, contributed by various community members. All set 1 cards finished.

July 26, 2015, 09:47:07 PM
Reply #17

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2015, 09:47:07 PM »
I don't see six comps often, but I see them enough not to take out Shotgun completely. Greed wouldn't be a good choice for this deck because (besides having no uruks) I have no way to grab it when I need it, or prevent it from being discarded from play. I can grab Shotgun from discard with Nertea, and Shotgun also works if he hits 5 burdens.

Another update I'm trying out; took out the 2x Goblin Man, put in 4x Goblin Warrior, and also added 4x Saruman's Snows, best used at either 5 or 9. I also added 3x Tower Assassin back in, in addition to Their Power is in Terror. Still testing...

August 01, 2015, 04:43:33 AM
Reply #18

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2015, 04:43:33 AM »
Mk 30! A few changes to both sides this time. Added 2x Bounder and swapped out Frodo, Reluctant Adventurer for Frodo, Old Bilbo's Heir (again). My reasoning is that the other frodo only saves me a grand total of 1 twilight the whole game, whereas Frodo/Bounder could make me a lot harder to overwhelm. We'll see.

Saruman's Snows is out, too expensive, and too chancy to have in hand at the right time. Replaced it with 4x Seeking It Always, which could in theory accomplish almost the same thing. We'll see!

Beauty is Fading is out, even with cheaper Nazgul it was just too expensive for what it does, which is discard a condition or possession. I never once had opportunity to discard a companion with it. The meta is just too condition and possession heavy for that. Replaced it with 3x Relentless Charge. Considering how archery-heavy the meta is, I should get good use out of that, I think. We'll see!!!

Also, a change in tactics; still bid 1, but now choose to go first if given the option. Just expect you will see Nazgul at site 2. The Fellowship is now strong enough to survive Nazgul attacks at 2 and 3, and being out in front does significantly increase the chances of getting a FP victory, as well as putting more pressure on your opponent.

Most challenging matchup for this deck is still Uruk Beatdown. In that scenario, stick to 4 comps until he's used up his savageries, and starve the pool as much as you can.

ETA: Ooh, forgot to mention! I've been threatening for a while now to add Gift of Boats for a potential 6-9 triple. Finally did it! Only pulled it off once so far, but for now I still feel like it's an asset, even if it just serves to pressure the opponent into doubling when he shouldn't. I had to swap out site 6 for a River, but so far I'm liking it.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 05:55:22 AM by sgtdraino »

July 05, 2016, 08:22:47 AM
Reply #19

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2016, 08:22:47 AM »
Now up to version 34 with this deck! Recently did a MAJOR overhaul, some substantial changes. So far at least, it feels much stronger to me. I've also discovered that a variant of this deck seems like it may be viable in a lot of different formats! More to come...

Realm of Dwarrowdelf Mk 34

Starting cards:
Ring-bearer: Frodo, Old Bilbo's Heir
Ring: The One Ring, Isildur's Bane
1x Arwen, Daughter of Elrond
1x Gimli, Son of Gloin

Adventure deck:
Green Dragon Inn
Trollshaw Forest
House of Elrond
Mithril Mine
The Bridge of Khazad-dum
Valley of the Silverlode
Anduin Wilderland
Shores of Nen Hithoel
Tol Brandir

Free Peoples Draw Deck:
4x Farin, Dwarven Emissary
4x Fror, Gimli's Kinsman
4x Gloin, Friend to Thorin
4x Legolas, Greenleaf
4x Gandalf, Friend of the Shirefolk
2x Sam, Son of Hamfast
2x Thrarin, Dwarven Smith
3x Elrond, Herald to Gil-galad
3x Galadriel, Lady of the Golden Wood
2x Bounder
4x Book of Mazarbul
2x Dwarven Axe
2x Dwarven Bracers
2x Gimli's Battle Axe
3x Gimli's Helm
4x Hand Axe
4x Gwemegil
4x Sting
4x Foul Creation
4x A Wizard Is Never Late
4x Deep in Thought
4x Power According to His Stature
4x Beneath the Mountains
4x Realm of Dwarrowdelf
3x Gift of Boats
4x Shoulder to Shoulder

Shadow Draw Deck:
4x Isengard Warrior
4x Orc Overseer
3x Uruk Captain
3x Uruk Raider
4x Cave Troll of Moria, Scourge of the Black Pit
4x Goblin Runner
3x Goblin Scavengers
2x Goblin Scrabbler
2x Goblin Warrior
1x The Balrog, Durin's Bane
1x The Balrog, Flame of Udun
4x Orc Ambusher
2x Orc Assassin
4x Tower Assassin
4x Úlairë Cantëa, Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
2x Úlairë Enquëa, Lieutenant of Morgul
4x Úlairë Nertëa, Messenger of Dol Guldur
2x Úlairë Otsëa, Lieutenant of Morgul
3x Goblin Scimitar
4x Saruman's Power
1x Host of Thousands
4x Hate
3x Relentless Charge
3x Their Power Is in Terror
4x Too Great and Terrible
4x Goblin Armory
4x They Are Coming
4x Seeking It Always
3x Helpless

Total Cards: 180!

Bid 3 or 4 to start, most of the time that's enough to get you in front, but not so much you're in big trouble if you don't get your site 1. Pull Sam to get those burdens off, and if it looks like you're up against corruption, keep him alive as long as you can. If you're not up against corruption, he's your early meat shield.

Priority 1 is you want to get Realm of Dwarrowdelf out as quickly as possible, so cycle as quick as you can, play as many cards as you can. You tend to get the companions pretty quick with this deck, don't be afraid to play them out and steamroll ahead.

For quite a while I was trying various complicated means of condition discard, with Bilbo, or Secret Sentinels, etc. Now, we're back to what's simple: Gandalf and Deep in Thought. And once you get Shoulder to Shoulder out, Deep in Thought is easy.

The cornerstones of this deck are Realm of Dwarrowdelf and Shoulder to Shoulder. Arwen helps cycle and beat Nazgul, Legolas snipes, Dwarfs tank up, your Elf allies heal, and on you go. The only weakness is Saruman's Power, so if you think you're facing that, just move as quick as you can, and try to keep an extra Realm in hand as a replacement. Realm will pile cards in your discard pile, Beneath the Mountains will then load out your Dwarfs. Galadriel gets you your site 7, Gift of Boats is a potential triple to 9, Foul Creation is the big anti-Isengard card, Isengard being the biggest challenge to this deck.

The Shadow is a hodgepodge of stuff mainly meant to help cycle, and jack with the Fellowship meta. If the opponent does beat you to the end, you should have 3 Sauron trackers in discard by then to help jump his butt. Lots of ally hate in this deck, lots of ways of playing minions out of your discard pile, lots of anti-archery stuff. Hold those Hate cards for the right moment to kill a guy. If nothing else, you can use them at site 9. By all means use Saruman's Power to take out all the conditions, you probably have replacements for the few that matter.

July 27, 2016, 06:05:31 AM
Reply #20

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2016, 06:05:31 AM »
Now up to Mk 36!

Realm of Dwarrowdelf FELL Mk 36

Starting cards:
Ring-bearer: Frodo, Old Bilbo's Heir
Ring: The One Ring, Isildur's Bane
1x Gimli, Son of Gloin
1x Legolas, Greenleaf

Adventure deck:
Green Dragon Inn
Trollshaw Forest
House of Elrond
Mithril Mine
The Bridge of Khazad-dum
Valley of the Silverlode
Anduin Wilderland
Shores of Nen Hithoel
Tol Brandir

Free Peoples Draw Deck:
4x Farin, Dwarven Emissary
4x Fror, Gimli's Kinsman
4x Gloin, Friend to Thorin
4x Gandalf, Friend of the Shirefolk
2x Sam, Son of Hamfast
2x Thrarin, Dwarven Smith
4x Elrond, Herald to Gil-galad
4x Galadriel, Lady of the Golden Wood
1x Albert Dreary, Entertainer From Bree
1x Barliman Butterbur, Prancing Pony Proprietor
2x Ottar, Man of Laketown
2x Bounder
4x Book of Mazarbul
2x Dwarven Axe
2x Dwarven Bracers
2x Gimli's Battle Axe
3x Gimli's Helm
4x Hand Axe
4x Sting
4x Foul Creation
4x A Wizard Is Never Late
4x Deep in Thought
3x Power According to His Stature
4x Beneath the Mountains
4x Realm of Dwarrowdelf
4x Gift of Boats
4x Shoulder to Shoulder
2x The Tale of Gil-galad

Shadow Draw Deck:
4x Isengard Warrior
4x Orc Overseer
3x Uruk Captain
3x Uruk Raider
4x Cave Troll of Moria, Scourge of the Black Pit
4x Goblin Runner
3x Goblin Scavengers
2x Goblin Scrabbler
2x Goblin Warrior
1x The Balrog, Durin's Bane
1x The Balrog, Flame of Udun
4x Orc Ambusher
2x Orc Assassin
4x Tower Assassin
4x Úlairë Cantëa, Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
2x Úlairë Enquëa, Lieutenant of Morgul
4x Úlairë Nertëa, Messenger of Dol Guldur
2x Úlairë Otsëa, Lieutenant of Morgul
3x Goblin Scimitar
4x Saruman's Power
1x Host of Thousands
4x Hate
3x Relentless Charge
3x Their Power Is in Terror
4x Too Great and Terrible
4x Goblin Armory
4x They Are Coming
4x Seeking It Always
3x Helpless

The Shadow hasn't changed at all, but there've been a few significant mods to the FP: Arwen is OUT, Greenleaf is IN. I decided that Gwemegil just generally doesn't come quickly enough to help much with cycling, and without it Arwen doesn't help all that much. She's decent against Nazgul, but the rest of the Dwarf team can tank up just as big or bigger. With Greenleaf starting instead, I'm starting with one tank (Gimli) and one sniper (Greenleaf) which seems to work a bit better overall, especially with the ability to adjust wounds around with Shoulder to Shoulder as needed.

Replacing the cycling advantage of Gwemegil is Ottar, Man of Laketown. I can choose to heal him every turn with Elrond, and I can pull him with all of the aWiNL action already in there. I went ahead and added Albert Dreary and Barliman for good measure. Since I'm dumping cards into the discard pile, in a pinch Barliman can help me out with getting Deep in Thought when I need it. Maxed out my copies of Galadriel and Elrond, and added a couple of Tale of Gil-galad to enhance Greenleaf. Feels pretty solid so far.

Thinking about dropping an Aragorn in, just in case I don't get site 1, and it turns out to be Prancing Pony. Haven't decided yet.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 06:10:26 AM by sgtdraino »