LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: King Standard Beacon Elves and Threatguls  (Read 4794 times)

November 02, 2015, 07:01:38 AM
Read 4794 times

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
King Standard Beacon Elves and Threatguls
« on: November 02, 2015, 07:01:38 AM »
As more folks have been playing King Standard games on Gemp, I thought I would post a few deck designs here for discussion.

This deck is a similar run to the "GandElves" run in movie, but without Cirdan, the Shipwright and Galadriel, Lady Redeemed and the other set 10 Elves. What? Such fun!

The Elves are not always the strongest companions out there, so I've added a card that I find entertaining (though at a relatively high cost): Light the Beacons. Between Light the Beacons, Gandalf, Manager of Wizards, and a well-thought Galadriel, Keeper of Nenya or Forearmed, Arwen and Legolas should be able to take care of most of the minions you'll run into.

A single Curse Their Foul Feet might assist against Swarm as Frodo is relatively unprotected. And if Legolas or Arwen die early, you could be in trouble playing companions. But this deck is 1-7 and made to be played against other decks in that format.

The Shadow is fairly standard Threat Nazgul. Black Steed is the weapon of choice with all of the plains available in set 7 sites.

Starting:
Frodo, Reluctant Adventurer
The One Ring, Such a Weight to Carry
Arwen, Fair Elf Maiden
Legolas, Archer of Mirkwood

Free Peoples Draw Deck:
1x Haldir, Emissary of the Galadhrim
1x Pengedhel, Naith Warrior
1x Thonnas, Naith Captain
4x Gandalf, Manager of Wizards
1x Sam, Son of Hamfast
2x Elrond, Herald to Gil-galad
3x Galadriel, Keeper of Nenya
1x Asfaloth
1x Gwemegil
1x Sting, Baggins Heirloom
1x Nenya
1x Vilya
1x Mithril-coat
3x Company of Archers
4x Forearmed
2x Light the Beacons
2x Terrible and Evil
1x Into the West
1x Echoes of Valinor

Shadow Draw Deck:
4x Morgul Brute
4x Morgul Destroyer
3x Morgul Whelp
1x The Witch-king, Lord of Angmar
2x The Witch-king, Morgul King
3x Úlairë Attëa, Keeper of Dol Guldur
3x Úlairë Cantëa, Faster Than Winds
3x Úlairë Enquëa, Lieutenant of Morgul
2x Úlairë Toldëa, Winged Sentry
1x Úlairë Toldëa, Wraith on Wings
3x Black Steed
3x Relentless Charge
1x Morgul on the March
1x Out of Sight and Shot

Adventure deck:
Isengard Ruined
Rohirrim Camp
Hall of the Kings
Pelennor Plain
Pelennor Flat
Minas Tirith First Circle
Pelennor Grassland
Morgulduin
Dagorlad

Cheers,
-wtk
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 01:42:22 PM by ket_the_jet »

November 11, 2015, 10:45:52 AM
Reply #1

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
Re: King Standard Beacon Elves and Threatguls
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 10:45:52 AM »
Why the All Veils Removed? As a random pump? I know to pack an event in movie, for the stupid hobbit overwhelm protection, but in RotK standard? I would just go for another Morgul Brute. Like the Beacons stuff....also because it reminds me of bacon.
..."Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill"...

November 11, 2015, 12:06:31 PM
Reply #2

Eukalyptus

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 12:06:31 PM »
Neat idea. My $0.02 on the freeps, later or tomorrow on the shadow:

I don't like SaWtC when Frodo isn't supported by A Promise anyhow. AtAR does the same trick and you get the vitality. Forgetting to put 7R1 on can lose you the game. Also, more vitality is better against Morcs and Twilight Nazgul.

Interesting choice of companions. With only 1 HtGG in the deck, you might as well play 2x the EL companion. He can also bear Vilya and is a Naith Troop with more benefits. Speaking of Naith, you might want to consider Naith Warband. It's awesome for Elves and a viable "replacement" for Glorfindel and the likes.

I like the synergy of Galadriel KoN and Gandalf MoW, but you barely have any [Elven] cards that you are able to forfeit to her. I think LotGW might be a better choice her, opening 2 slots for that Elrond and a second Haldir. I am also surprised of the lack of Elven Sword. That card basically screams to be in the deck. I'd cut Echoes of Valinor and Nenya for 2. Shame that you can't benefit from Glimpse of Fate with those cards. Another neat trick is Still Needed + Banner of Elbereth.

Sam could be replaced by Proper Poet, as the only burden dependend shadow is Beasterlings and they get their 2 every turn if necessary. As Gollum shouldn't be a big problem for your guys, I suggest to use a regular Hobbit Sword. That way, Sam can benefit from it as well. The Mithril-coat could become a TABA for the same effect.

November 11, 2015, 01:33:28 PM
Reply #3

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 01:33:28 PM »
Naith Warband isn't a bad idea, although it almost assuredly puts me at six companions (three Elves, Gandalf, and Frodo). Not a problem the turn I carry Terrible and Evil, but could still be an issue. The Elf companions Thonnas and Pengedhel were chosen for having the lightest spotting capabilities (i.e., allies work too).

Galadriel, Keeper of Nenya doesn't burn Elven cards. She burns Shadow cards. She's definitely a keeper and can also help build a better shadow hand.

I like the Banner of Elbereth idea better than Elven Sword, frankly, but the possessions seem like wasted deck slots. Gwemegil does the same thing (Arwen is clearly the main fighter) and anyone who can't win has Gandalf and Forearmed support.

If I were creating space for more cards, I would lean towards more copies of Elrond. Considering the cycling capabilities of the deck, I've already replaced Moment of Respite with one.

Lastly, Mithril-Coat is more for the archery prevention. Uruk Archers are still formidable in 1-7.
-wtk
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 01:36:19 PM by ket_the_jet »

November 11, 2015, 01:38:06 PM
Reply #4

Eukalyptus

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 01:38:06 PM »
Ha, misread Galadriel. The problem I'm seeing in general is that you rely on cards that have a single copy in the deck and at 36 cards, too. Without draw. Also, you have just 4 skirmish events, which is a bit scarce, even with Galadriel in play.

November 11, 2015, 01:49:50 PM
Reply #5

Eukalyptus

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 01:49:50 PM »
And btw. you might want to include Narya to increase the chances of getting more vitality on Gandalf without having a double.

November 11, 2015, 02:39:48 PM
Reply #6

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 02:39:48 PM »
Per some changes, Gandalf's Staff is also out and the deck runs at 34/34. Naturally try to keep him out of skirmishes.

Might consider splashing Grima, Wormtongue. I think two copies would be better calls than Morgul on the March and a copy of Morgul Whelp after several games. Then again, it may be reactionary to Phallen's love of Rohan.
-wtk