LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Casual / Other Formats
NBarden
Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:07 am
--- description ---
Merfolk with islandwalk and high power.
--- end description ---

Mana Base:

Wanderwine Hub x 4
Vivid Meadow x 4
Vivid Creek x 4
Plains x 6
Island x 2

Creatures:

Wanderwine Prophets x 3
Streambed Aquitects x 4
Sygg, River Guide x 2
Merrow Harbinger x 4
Inkfathom Divers x 3
Harpoon Sniper x 4
Judge of Currents x 4
Benthicore x 2
Changeling Titan x 2

Instants/Sorceries:

Aquitect’s Will x 4
Whirlpool Whelm x 2

Enchantments:

Merrow Commerce x 2
Oblivion Ring x 4

The point of the deck is to (ab)use your Harbingers to grab the cards you need to set up. Finally, MtG has a way to force the deck to set up properly.

Key cards for the combo to work:

1. Aquitect’s Will and make an opponent’s land an Island. Repeat with the others on your plains. Fun stuff when you can make your plains tap for Blue OR White.

2. Streambed Aquitects. Makes your prophet gain Island walk.

3. Wanderwine Prophet. With Islandwalk and +1/+1 from the aquitect’s, he swings, and then you get another turn to swing again. With all your creatures.

4. Judge of Currents. You’re all out attacking each turn! Why not gain lotsa life for doing it? This guy is BEGGING to stack as well, 4 copies out, each time a merfolk attacks, gain 4 life!

Take all your creatures and start swinging. Most of your creatures start with islandwalk, those that don’t (and you want to give, such as Changeling Titan), you can give with Streambed Aquitects. 8/8 unblockable creature anyone?

Oh yeah, and you gain between 2 and 8 life for it (with the Aquitect’s and Titan).

Then on the defense, you have several alternatives. Kill with Oblivion Ring, kill with Harpoon Sniper, and block with Changeling Titan or Benthicore, or lose a 1/1 creature thrown out by Benthicore. Or use Harpoon Sniper as deterrent to an attack.

I know that Summon the School is considered one of the best cards for merfolk, but in this deck, I don’t like being tapped unless attacking, and 1/1 creatures do...nothing for this deck...except die...which Benthicore’s merfolk do quite well.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:57 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
I’d like Changeling Hero more to gain life then judge of currents, on an all-out attack deck... Think
I don't like YOU.
NBarden
Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:50 pm
But Judge of Currents is cheaper. And pretty much does the same. Also, once you attack with 4 creatures, Judge of Currents begins getting better than Changeling Hero even! And that’s NOT at the cost of championing a creature and NOT at the higher mana cost.

So, I guess this would be some sort of control deck, right?
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Felipe Musco
Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:11 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
Not really. Maybe a bizarre breed of aggro-control-combo, but your main plan is still attacking with a bunch of fellas, so... Also, Changeling Hero fits your curve better, is a strategy on its own, less susceptible to board sweepers, AND it gets to "trick" with Harbingers.
I don't like YOU.
NBarden
Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:16 pm
Bizarre. I like that.

How does the hero fit my curve better? The fact that he can swing for 4?

But he doesn’t have Islandwalk, which doesn’t really help my strategy, unless I use him as a defensive guy. I’m leaning towards Judge of Currents, but I may add some in and drop something else.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Casual / Other Formats