LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

75%
  [ 3 ]  75%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
25%
  [ 1 ]  25%

Total Votes : 4
The First
Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:10 am
Joined: 07 Oct 2005 Posts: 195 Location: Anderlecht, Belgium
--- description ---
A light-hearted but detailed strategic look at the classic card Will-o’-the-Wisp, complete with short story, mock interview, and decklist.
--- end description ---

The true story of Will-o’-the-Wisp: a tale about courage, bravery and Magic.

Once upon a time, in a marsh far, far away, was a lil’ Will-o’-the-wisp. It was small and ugly and nobody liked it very much. Then, one day a stranger walked by the marsh. His name was Szadek, Lord of Secrets. He comforted the little spirit and asked it if it would come with him to a nice hidden place in the outskirts of Ravnica. The spirit, that was loved for once instead of hated, didn’t hesitate and went along with his new friend.

A few years passed and the lil’ Will grew up. Because it was so good at evasional tactics, it accuired the rang of Dimir Infiltrator when it turned only one hundred and two years old, the youngest spirit to ever achief that rang at such young age.

In about 3 years as an Infiltrator, it doubled the information sources of the House Dimir and it got promoted to the rang of Thief of Hope. It was now in a position to deny other spirits of their hope which is a great gift indeed, thought the poor spirit but it was a mistake that would yet come to claim it’s toll.

Another twenty years passed and in those twenty years, our lil’ Will did do some horrible things as a Thief of Hope. It hunt down and destroyed all other Will-o’-the-Wispses. Szadek was pleased with his new apprentice and granted him the rang of Akuta, Born of Ash. Our Will was very pleased as it never had such a powerful regeneration skill before. The one it had when it was still a lil’ spirit was fun but not nearly as powerful. It became a fine Akuta and trained and commanded thousands of other spirits over the years, gaining control of most marshes and rivers still left in Ravnica.

Our story reaches a sad ending when our beloved spirit atteigned the rank of Kokusho, the Evening Star, the only Will-o’-the Wisp to reach such advanced skills and rank, and probably the last as all others were destroyed by his own actions. Our lil’ Will had become a monster, a weapon of destruction and it was pleased. Untill one day, our befouled lil’ Will was Greedily Devoured by Szadek to gain control of a small, yet important, source of information which could be the missing link to gain global control of Ravnica.

The deck:

1x Will-o’-the -Wisp
1x Wi1l-o’-the -Wisp
1x Will-o’-the -Wasp
1x Mike-o’-the -Wisp

4x Dimir Infiltrator
4x Thief of Hope
2x Akuta, Born of Ash
2x Kokusho, The Evening Star
2x Iname, Death Aspect
1x Szadek, Lord of Secrets

4x Distress
3x Death Denied
4x Devouring Greed
3x Grave Pact
3x Consult the Necrosages
2x Diabolic Tutor

4x Underground River
10x Swamp
8x Island

Interview with Will

Reporter: “Hi, Will-o’-the –Wisp. Can I call you Will?”

Will: “Hi, sure you can. Can I call you "stupid"? (laughing) Sorry, that was just a little joke. I like jokes.”

Reporter: “Ha-ha, very funny Will. Now, if I understand correctly, you played not less than five parts in this article. Was it hard to combine all those parts?”

Will: “Well, we were on a tight shedule as time costs money, mostly my time, and it was a drag to constantly having to change forms, make-up, … because we didn’t write the article in chronological order, but I think that we were able to do a fine job in the end.”

Reporter: “Rumors say that you actually had to use stand-ins to get it finished in time. Is this true?”

Will: “I don’t really like to admit it but, yes, we have used three stand-ins to finish the decklist. But I am very pleased we did so. It saved me some time and they all did an excellent job. They aren’t widely known but I can recommend them to everybody.”

Reporter: “But their names contain spelling errors or are just wrong.”

Will: “Yes, one of them has a ‘1’ in his name instead of a ‘l’ but everyone makes mistakes when they are put onder that much pressure and I do believe that one day, we’ll all think back and laugh at those mistakes.”

Reporter: “Oh, okay, thanks you for your time Will.”

Will: “No problem. Just don’t forget to suppport the Will-o’-the-Wisp fond.”

Alternative Endings:

Highlander : another spirit got promoted to the rang of Kokusho, the Evening Star.

Happy : Will woke up from his nightmare, went outside and saw the beautiful marsh with Mike-o’-the-Wisp, Wi1l-o’-the-Wisp and Will-o’-the-Wasp flying towards him, screaming and shouting if he wanted to play some air-polo.

Weird ending : Kokusho captured and ate Szadek and became the new ruler of House Dimir.

Really, really stupid ending : See all endings above.

A word from our sponsor UltraPro

Reporter: “Hi.”

Chris T. Bulowinx (CEO UltraPro): “Oh, hello.”

Reporter: “Can you tell us a little about the coopertaion between Wizards of the Coast and UltraPro?”

CTB: “Well, we, people at UltraPro R&D (Research and Design), are always trying to improve our products. Increasing quality and longevity are crucial for our UltraPro Deck Protectors, or sleeves as most people will know them. However, the art on the back of our UltraPro Deck Protectors has become more and more important in the business and if we want to remain competitive, we’ll have to make sure that our art is recognisable by all players and good-looking. As a result, we don’t want players playing with filthy Deck Protectors.”

Reporter: “Ok, ok. But what does that have to do with my question?”

CTB: “Glad you ask. Our customers can wash their hands before playing or touching our product, or they can wear white surgical gloves, however they don’t control the hands of their opponent. He could be eating a burger while casting a Distress or a Cranial Extraction, for crying out loud!”

Reporter: “Interesting, interesting. Go on.”

CTB: “Thanks. Well, we decided to cooperate with the nice people from Wizards of the Coast to develop a few cards that could prevent just this from happening. Which cards they are? Well, Saviors of Kamigawa features the card One with Nothing that you can cast in response to your opponent thouching your cards in hand. The newest set, Ravnica, features Shadow of Doubt. That card will prevent thouching cards in your library. We are currently working on a card that will prevent your opponent from thouching cards in your Graveyard. It should be in the next set and we will put a spoiler on our website in about two mongths.”

Reporter: “Wow, that’s awesome. Thanks you for your time.”

CTB: “You’re welcome.”

-= The End =-

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest