LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Expanded
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:18 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
Twilight minions were never a big part of LOTR TCG. In total, there were only eight ever made by Big D. Yet they remain memorable for being one of the best ways to terrorize the Ring-bearer.

Yet most people have only done so with the famous twilight Nazgul of the Fellowship block. I haven’t seen many decks using the trio of Sauron twilight minions from Ents of Fangorn. Moreso, I can’t recall EVER seeing a deck that combined the two, yet there just seems to be so much potential there. Granted, the twilight Wraith cards only help your twilight Nazzies. However, there is LOTS of potential going the other direction: the twilight Sauron minions work with ANY twilight minion, regardless of culture.

Both focus around the same strategy: wound or burden the Ring-bearer to death. Who cares if there are a bunch of powerful companions in the fellowship? Do things right, and they won’t matter as your opponent cries for mercy while wound after wound and burden after burden are laid on the Ring-bearer. This is especially evil if you catch them with a non-Shire RB, as alternate Ring-bearers typically have less vitality, less resistance, or both.

So, here’s a hastily-constructed Sauron/Wraith twilight minion deck. Let me know what you think, and what might make it better.

Shadow (38 cards):

Minions (25 cards):

The Witch-king, Lord of the Nazgul x3
Ulaire Enquea, Ringwraith in Twilight x3
Ulaire Nelya, Ringwraith in Twilight x4
Ulaire Otsea, Ringwraith in Twilight x3
Corpse Lights x4
Dead Ones x4
Wisp of Pale Sheen x4

Artifacts/Possessions (3 cards):

Ithil Stone x3

Conditions (5 cards):

Blade Tip x4
His Terrible Servants

Events (5 cards):

Resistance Becomes Unbearable x3
Wraith-world x2

Obviously, the minions themselves are the focus here. The twilight Nazzies do what they normally do: use and abuse Blade Tip and the RBU/WW combo to slam the Ring-bearer with more than they can handle. Otsea makes sure a Blade Tip goes on the Ring-bearer to make things REALLY messy with more burdens. Enquea and Wikkie keep the Ring-bearer near death and perfectly set up Nelya as a nice beat-stick.

The Sauron minions each have their own function. Corpse Lights makes minions--especially the Nazzies, who lack other pumps--stronger. Wisp of Pale Sheen piles on more burdens, as it should be alive with another twilight minion often enough (unless facing lots of damage bonuses). And the Dead Ones are pure, unabashed swarmers.

The last card is Ithil Stone, which works nicely here. Not only can you exert any minion in the deck to get it out (aside from the 1-vitality Dead Ones, of course) and allow you to get more Shadow cards each turn, but it can also play any of your Sauron minions here for free!

So, is this feasible, or just a fuzzy dream in the twilight world? Razz

P.S. - I thought about tossing in a copy or two of Spied From Above (Condition with the ability Regroup: Exert a Nazgul twice to play a Wraith or Sauron minion at cost -8 and comes into play exhausted) to ensure your Wisps of Pale Sheen survive until regroup, but I deemed that the room was better used for the other cards I have here. Do you disagree?
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
NBarden
Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:09 am
DAIN! TO BIG!

Remember the deck building tactic I’ve been telling you? Start with a core!

Anyway, twilight minions don’t work in expanded. I’d try FotR block.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:41 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
Alright then...cut a copy of each Sauron minion and a copy of Ithil Stone and you’re down to 34.

Why do you say it won’t work in Expanded? I would think it might be MORE effective since you’ve got the potential of hitting a lower-resistance ARB....
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
NBarden
Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:48 pm
More targets, yes, but also more ways to counter it. A Light in His Mind, Bilbo, ARB, etc, etc. I just completely trashed a RB wounding/burdening deck today (Morcs), and that was a cinch. In STANDARD. I’ve also trashed corruption badly with low res ARBs. Faramir, for one. In expanded, it only gets worse.

Also, in FotR block, everyone uses The One Ring, Isildur’s Bane. Nobody uses it outside FotR. So once he has to wear the ring, suddenly a wound = two burdens. Isildur’s Bane is twilight Nazzies dream come true.

The reason you’ve never seen a deck combine the two is because decks that combine the two stink royally. That’s just truth. But...your deck is as good as the strategy gets.

Drop another couple Ithil Stone. Only need 1, because you’re not using it for cheaper minions, except in a desperate circumstance, you’re only using it for card drawing.

That Enquea stinks badly. Drop them for Lieutenant of Morgul. Trust me, much better. You start shotgunning companions once you hit 5 burdens, and with 3 in the deck, people are gonna hate you.

Drop all the Sauron dudes except for Wisp of Pale Sheen. You’re trying to corrupt, remember? Not beatdown. That remove a burden dude is just counterproductive.

4x Resistance Becomes Unbearable please. 2 or so The Twilight World. 4x Wraith World.

If you really want some fun, try this. They Will Find the Ring + Shotgun Enquea + Ring of Rancor. To evil? Nah. Also drop a Nelya or two.

SO...

Drop (16)

2x Ithil Stone
3x bad Enquea
4x Corpse Lights
4x Dead Ones
1x Wisp of Pale Sheen
2x Nelya

Add (10)

1x Resistance Becomes Unbearable
2x Wraith World
3x Good Enquea
2x The Twilight World
2x They Will Find the Ring

I count 33 cards. Good sized deck. I’ve found that 35 is my cut-off, unless the deck is designed to cycle. 33-35 should probably have some small cycling anyway. Woodhall Elf or Smallburrow is sufficient on the FP. You can run them both in a Three Hunters with Gimli + Delving and go up to 38, other than that, go 33. Very Happy Lemme cook up a decent FotR style Corruption deck, using that base.
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
NBarden
Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:16 pm
Oh, and I’d SERIOUSLY try FotR block.

1). Twilight Nazzies actually work there.
2). Block is funner.
3). I already built you a deck using the same core that you have here.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Expanded