LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » Open Magic: the Gathering Discussion
Elessar's Socks
Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:30 pm
w00t!! More quiz material! More mess-ups. More Sulfurous Blasts. That’s the way to do it! Dancing
Felipe Musco
Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:32 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
Ok, I know you guys want some answers, so, here we go!

Question 1 (easy):

How many different basic lands are there in Magic: the Gathering? Name them.

There are TEN different basic lands, and they are Forest, Snow-Covered Forest, Island, Snow-Covered Island, Plains, Snow-Covered Plains, Swamp, Snow-Covered Swamp, Mountain and Snow-Covered Mountain.

Question 2 (medium):

Ivaldi has Circle of Protection: White on the table. At the end of his turn, Cleston discards a Plains from hand and plays Abolish for free, to which Ivaldi responds with Rethink. How much mana will Cleston need to pay to resolve his Abolish? Why?

The CONVERTED MANA COST of a spell will NEVER change, even if its EXECUTION cost does. The converted mana cost is ALWAYS the number in the upper-right corner of a card, adding up colorless and colored mana. That’s why Lands, Lotus Bloom, morphs and Pacts all considered as having converted mana cost 0. So, in this case, what Cleston did was play Abolish through an alternate cost, but the converted mana cost is still 3, so he’ll have to pay 3 colorless mana.

Question 3 (hard):

FM plays Exalted Angel face down on the table, to which Anvar responds by playing Ertai’s Meddling with X=5. When the last delay counter is removed from the Angel, will it come into play as a face up 4/5 or a face down 2/2? Will FM be able to pay his morph cost then? Why?

Notice, this card is different from Delay. You don’t remove the card itself, and since suspend didn’t exist, you’re not suspending the card. You are, however, taking a really similar action, but doing so with a COPY of the spell. When you play a morph, even thought you pay 3, no matter what card it is, the moment you announce it as a morph, it has converted mana cost 0, is colorless (not artifact), is 2/2 and has no abilities (it completly ignores what the "other side" of the card says). THIS is what will be copied and "suspended". So, when the "suspended" copy resolves, you’ll get a 2/2 creature with no abilities. Also, since you’re not putting the CARD you morphed into play itself, but rather a 2/2 colorless creature token into play, it does NOT have morph, and therefore CANNOT be flipped face up.
I don't like YOU.
NBarden
Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:01 am
On question three...if it is a real copy of the original spell, isn’t the original spell morphable?
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:07 pm
That’s a great question, and I’m glad you asked it!
The answer is "yes", and "no". You see, Exalted Angel has morph. Ok. So, you can play it for 3, as a 2/2 colorless critter with no abilities. However, notice that when you do this, the "morph" has no realtion whatsoever with Exalted Angel, every morph is the same. The CARD "Exalted Angel" has morph. Now, Scathe Zombies is a 2/2 zombie, right? But, when you play Midnight Ritual, you don’t put a bunch of Scathe Zombies cards into play, you put 10th edition 2/2 black zombie tokens. What happens is the same. You’d put a "token" of a 2/2 colorless creature with no abilities into play (if there were such tokens, since there are not, you just use representations of them), and notice the token itself would be face up, since it’s a token. So, the creature that’d come into play would NOT be "face down", nor have morph at all. It’d just be a random 2/2 dork. Wink
Understood?
I don't like YOU.
NBarden
Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:14 am
I see. There’s no side to morph to. And since the morph is on the other side, there is no morph.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:36 pm
Bingo. The card is actually a 2/2 colorless creature, not a "morph". Wink
I don't like YOU.
Elessar's Socks
Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:41 am
Whoa, question 3 was cool!

Magic seems to emphasize the separation of card text from card much more than LotR. For example playing an activated ability and putting it on the stack, which hangs around even when the originating card is long gone. And here "extracting" a 2/2 creature with no abilities from the card that happens to be named "Exalted Angel." It’s a whole new mindset! Shocked
Felipe Musco
Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:20 am
Yeah, it requires quite some thinking, doesn’t it? Wink
I don't like YOU.
elf lvr
Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:25 pm
Hey, LotR requires thinking, too!

Thanks for the morph stuff. Quick question: can a morphed card be countered when it’s flipped face up? I doubt it, since flipping it isn’t really playing it...
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » Open Magic: the Gathering Discussion