LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Gameplay Questions
Felipe Musco
Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:08 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
I think you might have missed something. The -1/-1 effect is a power/toughness changing effect, so it applies in layed 6d, not 6b, and so, AFTER the counters. So, no, the creature does not die, in any of the examples. Very Happy But if you have any more questions, keep’em coming, it’s great for me since I have to study this wretched rule anyway!
I don't like YOU.
dnn81
Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:14 pm
Oh i see! This is what confused me.

There is an example of the rule 418.5a in the rulebook I downloaded from the wizards website.
Here it is:
Gray Ogre, a 2/2 creature, is in play. An effect puts a +1/+1 counter on it
(layer 6c), making it 3/3. An effect that says “Target creature gets +4/+4 until end of turn” is applied to it (layer 6b), making it 7/7. An enchantment that says “Creatures you control get +0/+2” enters play (layer 6d), making it a 7/9. An effect that says “Target creature becomes 0/1 until end of turn” is applied to it (layer 6b), making it a 1/4 (0/1, plus +1/+1 from the counter, plus +0/+2 from the enchantment).

The confusion here is this sentence of the example: An effect that says “Target creature gets +4/+4 until end of turn” is applied to it (layer 6b)

Why layer 6b?? Isnt this effect a power/toughness changing effect? Shouldn’t it be in layer 6d??

Thank you in advance!
Felipe Musco
Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:29 am
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
Wow, duh, I missed the part where it says CONTINUOUS effect. such as form an enchantment, and YOU are in fact, correct. The -1/-1 until end of turn applies in layer 6b. However, in order for the creature to be put in the graveyard, itmust have 0 toughness when SBEs are checked, and layers are to govern the order of the bonuses, but in the end, the final product is a X/X creature, so a 1/1 creature with 3 +1/+1 counters, even receiving -1/-1 BEOFRE the counters’ effect applies, is still a 3/3 creature when SBEs are checked. But sorry, my mistake!
I don't like YOU.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Gameplay Questions