LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Casual / Other Formats
gil-estel
Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:16 am
Joined: 25 Apr 2007 Posts: 545 Location: Groningen, the Netherlands
I had to prove my friends that Mordor Fiend is broke! What better moment for them to find out during a tournement!

starting:
Frodo RA
common ring
Sam, Great Elf Warrior
Merry, Learned Guide
Pippin, Woolly-footed Rascal

sites:
1:exert hobbit to play Merry or Pippin
2:only hobbits = no assignement
3:play hobbit to draw a card
4:add a burden
5:play the ancient deamon
6:heal the hobbits
7:Why don’t we stop the archery
8:Hey, maybe I spot 5 orcs
9:when people are still around..play 3 trackers

freeps:
Merry LG 4x
Pippin WFR 4x
Stout and Sturdy 2x
Bill the pony
Hobbit Stealth
Hobbit Sword
old noakes
Bounder
Hobbit Party Guest
Hobbit Farmer 3x
filibert bolger
bilbo, wellspoken gentlehobbit 3x
Rosie Cotton, Hobbiton Lass
a talent for not beeing seen 2x
Practicaly everyone was invited(PEWI)3x
the tale of the great ring
There and Back Again

shadow (lingering)
Orc Ambusher 2x
orc butcher
orc insurgent 2x
great hill troll 4x
mordor fiend 4x
The Eye of Sauron 2x
great peril of fire
the dark lord summons 4x
Forces of Mordor
troll’s chain 2x
tower walkway
their marching companies 4x
great siege towers 4x

Strategy

Before some people try to burn me for playing Mordor Fiend take a few moments to read this. Also people who don’t know what Mordor Fiend does...stick around!

oh and you don’t want to start, so bid high and let the other person walk. Hopefully he doesn’t benefit from your sites. The keyword for the fellowship is: play as much as you can and if possible, play it from your drawdeck!
With a few friends we play this awesome game for quite some time. We organise little get-to-gethers and sometimes a tournement. This time we dicided to play a no-rare tournement. Also we wanted to play the fellowship sites and we use cards from the first 10 sets. We are aware of the X-list but we decided to make our own. We argued which cards should get a ban and which cards shouldn’t. I suggested to ban Mordor Fiend, for I had seen it’s power. I played for fun the deck called Unstoppable Sauron and two of my friend got slaugthered. You can imagine my surprise when only 1 friend also wanted to ban this card. Then I knew I had to play Mordor Fiend!

Strategy:

Mordor Fiend and The Dark Lord Summons (TDLS) need one thing: a filtered deck. For those of you who do not know the combo: with TDLS you can remove 3 to reveal the top card of your drawdeck. Is it a Sauron card you can take it in to hand. If not, you must discard it and another card from hand. Mordor Fiend alows you to add more twiligth. Well that said you need to cycle your deck. I wanted as much fellowship cards gone by the time I wanted to unlease the shadow. First I thought I needed to draw a lot of cards. So I did. But then I realized there was a weakness. Drawing cards gives alot of cards in hand and makes it clog. Then I had to discard also good shadow cards, and I don’t want to.

With this fellowship I can play hobbits from my drawdeck and draw some cards.

The shadow works pretty awsome. When you don’t expect conditionremoval play all engines you can and also 1 TDLS. Then you just wait and let your opponent walk. At the right moment unlease the hate. Start with Mordor Fiend, play all 9 engines, play the 4 trolls, and then try to play all the rest of your shadow that is left!

Some cards:

PEWI: play hobbits from my drawdeck

Hobbit Farmer: plays my site 1 and is so kind to gain the gametext so I can play from my drawdeck Merry and Pippin whom I discard during skirmish

Great Peril of Fire: Awesome card. My engines are only there to make my trolls cheap. If my opponent depends on conditions they’re all gone in the maneuver! If I don’t need it I discard it when TDLS draws me a fellowshipcard

Eye of Sauron: play it immediately. To draw cards in your shadow is just great.

Orc inseurgent: facing a rainbow fellowship this cheap orc adds twiligth and draws cards! Great!

Orc Butcher: People get butchered when he sees 12 conditions Wink

Orc ambusher: cheap orc with possibility to make other minions cheaper. Comes in handy to play all your conditions.

forces of mordor: adds 1 for each minion..pretty good

Troll’s chain: maybe I can play it, adds strength and draws a card. I sure don’t need it so it can be discarded when TDLS draws me a fellowship card.

I think this is the best way to play this deck with only common and uncommon cards. If you know a better way, please let me know. I was pretty succesful by winning all my 5 games. It was great to see a friend of mine who thought he was save getting a beat-up. He was at site 7 with a 5 people fellowship all heavenly armed and suited for battle. But then with little twiligth given he was facing 4 trolls, 2 mordor fiends, 1 orc insurgent, an orc butcher and 1 or 2 ambushers....he was gone!
Last edited by gil-estel on Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:29 am; edited 3 times in total My trading list
My main wants
My refs
NBarden
Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:06 pm
Filter decks are best run Pipeweed chain reaction, since Saved from the Fire aren’t exactly cheap. Very Happy C/Us can do this quite well, and the Hobbiton Farmer isn’t technically legal unless you play FotR sites.

I like the condition loving stuff. Tis awesome. The butcher will get IB-ed instantly, so you should try for some sort of other win condition. I’m not familiar with a Fiend strategy that much.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
gil-estel
Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:32 am
Not? It is ridiculous! Play a fiend, play a dark lord summons and you will empty your drawdeck....But you need to filter, because you’re not supposed to run into to many fellowshipcards. That’s why pipeweeds are a no go for this deck...then you just draw cards, I need to take them out of my deck.
My trading list
My main wants
My refs
NBarden
Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:27 pm
Pipeweed filter. The new RoS stuff. I’ll show you a decklist.

Frodo, Protected by Many (muster)

Merry, ItBoH
Pippin, ItBoH
Quickbeam, Bregalad
Gandalf, Leader of Men
Smeagol, Sliperry Sneak

Long-Stemmed Pipe x 4
Southfarthing Leaf x 4
Halfling Leaf x 4

Momentous Gathering x 4

Treebeard, Enraged Shepherd
Leaflock, Finglas
Radagast, The Brown
Ent Horde

Pallando

Look To My Coming x 4

Starting 5 comps helps. Use Momentous Gathering to filter, and use Long-Stemmed Pipe to filter out the Look To My Coming for use when necessary, Strange Meeting gets nabbed with Momentous Gathering. Then, once you’ve comboe-d the fiend, you can use Merry to recycle the Halfling Leaf for cancellation. Smeagol’s just in there as an extra card filtered to be discarded ASAP.

And 30 cards is slim.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
gil-estel
Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:54 pm
NBarden....pull your head out of the dirt or where ever you had put it d'oh! ....POORMAN’S LOTR....if I want to filter with rares, I absoultely would go with some of your options and Saved from the Fire..but I use only commons and uncs
My trading list
My main wants
My refs

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Casual / Other Formats