LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

100%
  [ 1 ]  100%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 1
NBarden
Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:34 am
--- description ---
The Uruk lust for blood, gore, and plunder unleashed in a powerful, common condition.
--- end description ---

So, in order to get things going a little in this section, I decided to take my Spotlight articles from Pippin’s Parley (which is completely dead), and post them here.

I hope this gets some good response. Here is my first article. Enjoy!

Hello! Welcome to NB’s Spotlight On... Every week or so, I’ll post a card and write a short article about using that card. So, let’s get started

Today’s spotlight on....Deathly Roar!

2 Deathly Roar Uruk-hai
Condition • Support Area
Each time the Free People’s player plays a possession or artifact, place an Uruk-hai token here.
Each time an Uruk-hai minion wins a skirmish, you may remove a token to exert a companion.
The Uruk-Hai assault on Helm’s Deep was relentless.
17C113

With the release of Rise of Saruman, this card passed below the radar. Bigger and better cards were released, like Saruman, Servant of Sauron. The card was not even spoiled until Age’s End, when in was spoiled en masse with all the other Rise of Saruman, Treachery and Deceit, and Age’s End cards. Its easy to see how in all those sets, on card can easily pass below the radar.

But no more. I’m here to tell you that this card packs a big wallop. First, let’s look at the mechanics of the card.

(1). Twilight cost. This is the only drawback to the card. You can’t drop it simultaneously with several Uruks. However, once you do get it in play, it pays back its cost in gold.
(2). Non-unique. This card is NOT unique, and thus, you can have up to 4 copies in play simultaneously. This is the real strength of the card, the attribute that gives it its power.
(3). Card Type. Yeah, its a condition, but some of the most broken, powerful cards out there *cough* Goblin Hordes *cough* are also conditions.
(4). Text.
-(A). "Each time the Free People’s player plays a possession or artifact, place an Uruk-hai token here." With an ability to accumulate tokens itself, and at a rapid pace with several copies out, this guy packs a wallop against any strategy packing a bunch of possessions, such as Rohan, and artifacts, such as Gondor.
-(B). "Each time an Uruk-hai minion wins a skirmish, you may remove a token to exert a companion." THIS is what makes the card all it is. Each time an Uruk-Hai wins a skirmish, you get to start exerting companions. While this may not look big, imagine this with 3 or 4 copies out. That’s right. 4 to 5 wounds from ONE skirmish won. THAT’s assuming you don’t have damage guys. Then with Hunters, they get to come back again. Combo with Tracking the Prize, Following Uruk, and Saruman, Servant of Sauron, and you have a machine riding on the back of Deathly Roar that will exhaust an entire fellowship by winning a few skirmishes. THAT’s power.
(5). Rarity. That’s the sweetest part about this. Its COMMON! Which means that ANYONE can get a hold of four copies and grind your opponent to dust!

So, how would an effective deck using this card work? Glad you asked. I’m not using the aforementioned combo, since I already mentioned the aforementioned combo, so here’s another deck relying solely on Deathly Roar and You Do Not Know Pain.

(39 cards)

Chasing Uruk x 4
Ugluk, Ugly Fellow x 3
White Hand Guard x 4
Uruk Rogue x 2
White Hand Destroyer x 2
Barbaric Uruk x 4

Deathly Roar x 4
Fearless Approach x 4
Weapons of Control x 4
Poised for Assault x 2
You Do Not Know Pain x 4

Violent Hurl x 2

The obvious combo here is Deathly Roar/Weapons of Control. Once you’ve amassed some tokens, simply throw down weapons of Control and watch the token pile up. Use to exert. Control sites as much as possible for You Do Not Know Pain. Uruk Rogue is in there to drop down along with a few Deathly Roar, since they’ll be hogging some of the twilight. And by himself he’s fierce, strength 16 and damage +1.

The best part of this deck is YOU pick who gets exerted. As a finisher, leave everyone except the RB wounded, drop a Barbaric Uruk with a White Hand Guard and overwhelm the RB. Or, liberate enough sites with You Do Not Know Pain to make him high damage. The same can be done against any companion that is especially annoying you.

Well, when everyone’s exhausted, winning a skirmish means an almost certain kill. Kill them one by one, or however many by however many, until there’s just the RB. Then kill him as well. You’ll have to pair it with Dwarves or some other cycling/filter FP.

So, get a hold of 4 copies of Deathly Roar and beat some people up!

Until next time,

~NBarden
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
Sam-Wise
Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:19 pm
The card seems a bit too powerful.

I think that you need to have it where there is a limited amount of tokens to be played on it. Or, you need to make it where it can only be used at a certain site.

But you do know what your talking about.
My Greatest friend is Jesus Christ.
He's the source of all power.

X+3=8-2. {X=3}. I love little algebra problems!
MR. Lurtzy
Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:09 pm
Joined: 30 May 2007 Posts: 423 Location: Living with the Governator
This isn’t a dream card Sammy.

This deck is good, but what are its main weaknesses and strengths deckwise? What decks would destroy this one, and what decks would this one be good against?
'On and on old war shall go,
Without respite my blood will flow
O’er your eyes ‘til they cannot see
The impossibility of victory.'

MR. Lurtzy's Have/Wants

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest