LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Gameplay Questions
Mordor Madness
Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:43 pm
Ok, my fellowship is at Buckland Homestead, and my wife plays Enquea, Lieutenant of Morgul. I want to invoke my Border patrol and get an exert on Enquea, but she wants to invoke Buckland Homestead’s text: play a Nazgul to discard a condition. Which comes first, my "response" action on Border Patrol, or her site text?

I’ve understood that response actions take place immediately, and that would be when the Nazgul is played, but the word "to" in the site text makes it seem instant as well. Does my exert take place before my condition is discarded?

A little help, please?

[EDIT] Forgot to mention that I had a Strong Arms (adds keyword Plains to the site) on Buckland Homestead. I know that Border Patrol requires a Plains site.
Last edited by Mordor Madness on Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
NappyKorn
Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:05 pm
from what I understand the free peoples player always get first action whether an action or a response. I could be wrong. Maybe we should wait for further ruling from Bib Thumbs Up.
No Room
Collection 4 Sale
Deck Wants
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:49 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
Hmm...

The site text is a cost-effect action. The condition is a response to the cost of the action. So...hmm...so the question is, does the response take place before the effect of the action? I don’t think so, because the response is an action, and not a "When..." text. If Border Patrol said "When an opponent plays a minion...", it would be a different story.
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
MR. Lurtzy
Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:43 pm
Joined: 30 May 2007 Posts: 423 Location: Living with the Governator
I think the freeps take the first action so enquea would be exerted and then the condition would be discarded.
'On and on old war shall go,
Without respite my blood will flow
O’er your eyes ‘til they cannot see
The impossibility of victory.'

MR. Lurtzy's Have/Wants
TheJord
Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:30 pm
The effect of Border Patrol is in response of the cost of Buckland Homestead, meaning the effect of Buckland Homestead has not yet occured.

This means it will allow the exertion, and then be discarded.
"The rule of Gondor is mine!"
NBarden
Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:54 pm
I disagree. Freeps getting first action has nothing to do with this. The shadow player’s action occurs first, since you’re responding to Buckland Homestead’s ability (play a Nazgul to discard a condition from play). You don’t respond to a cost, you respond to a complete action. So the action completes, and then you can respond to it, however, you condition is discarded so you can no longer respond.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
Elessar's Socks
Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:48 pm
Response actions can respond to costs (or more specifically, actions that are costs) before the effects take place. This is alluded to under the "cost" section:

If a player is paying costs for a card and a response action occurs which modifies those costs...

For example if Mumak Commander GAtS is attempting to exert twice as the cost of his maneuver action, Unheeded can respond to the first exertion by wounding him, preventing the effect from happening.

Here a Nazgul is played as the cost of the Shadow action of Buckland Homestead, and Border Patrol can respond to the action of playing Enquea by exerting him, before it’s discarded as the effect.
FingolfinFinwe
Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:54 pm
My recommendation is to just let her discard so that she’ll feel like she’s doing a good job. This ensures future games. Laughing

But anyways... I tend to agree with NB.
MR. Lurtzy
Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:58 pm
Joined: 30 May 2007 Posts: 423 Location: Living with the Governator
Sockie is correct on this one. Wink
'On and on old war shall go,
Without respite my blood will flow
O’er your eyes ‘til they cannot see
The impossibility of victory.'

MR. Lurtzy's Have/Wants
TheHobbit13
Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:58 pm
FingolfinFinwe wrote:
My recommendation is to just let her discard so that she’ll feel like she’s doing a good job. This ensures future games. Laughing

But anyways... I tend to agree with NB.

I as well.
If you like LOTR then maybe you would like redemption ccg PM me for more info

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Gameplay Questions