LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
14%
  [ 1 ]  14%

28%
  [ 2 ]  28%

14%
  [ 1 ]  14%

42%
  [ 3 ]  42%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 7
Felipe Musco
Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:47 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
Just picture this (although it may seem a little bit fantastic, you may get hands similar to this one quite often):
Turn 1:
Forest (or G dual), BoP;
Turn 2:
Forest (or another G dual). Taps Birds to play Sprawl on one forest, taps that forest to play Sprawl on the other. Taps the other, generating a total of 3 mana, plays Llanowar and a Signet (or even two more accelerators!);
Turn 3:
Plays any land. You can now generate 8 mana, EASILY generating blue/white/green, or almost any combination of those.
As I said, this is one hell of a God Hand, but the match would be something similar to this most of the times, with turn 5 control (complete control, I mean, not having to wait one more turn) or so...That’s the point about accelerating.
I don't like YOU.
Memnarch Mastermind
Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:24 pm
I have played several rounds this deck, and I never had Kaho in turn 5. Turn 4 protected by voyager staff and/or counters were standart in all games. Nevertheless I will change it towards speed, against KillerKiku’s opinion I see some options. I don’t like signets, they are somehow... common. They are good for drafting or sealed, but Llanowar elves /BoP and sprawl seem quite better to me.

But if you put too many acceleration aspects into it(I have >12 in mind), it will make the deck having much mana for nothing too use when having a bad hand.
Memnarch Mastermind
Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:47 pm
Yeah, I have changed the acceleration aspect. WOOOOOW! Never had such a nasty deck. You are right. Every opening hand hold at least two acceleration aspects, so I had indeed a turn 3 Kaho, turn 4 the game was mine! Math tells us: 12 Acc in 60=1/5 chance of drawing one as first card,yo draw 7, so there’s theoretically a accCard in every opening hand.

Thanks for the tips around here, especially La_Sin_Grail. Homage

I don’t think more duals are necessary. I got three of every one in my collectable foils so they make a row, and in decks I don’t see any reason to take more. Basic lands are not the best, but no more shocklands are necessary. Maybe old duals from revised(Some son of a bitxx has stolen my 2 tropical islands and mox diamond at a tourney Crying or Very sad ; would have fitted perfectly here. Damn!!! Exclamation Watch your cards, men Exclamation !)

I’ve put out Voyager staff and Watchwolf/Tolsimir, so I better play control with WoG and ghostway.

remand is good because my opponent can now watch his card in his hand while I freeze him in time Twisted Evil . Best thing is holding him off and draw a card for it.

New Decklist

Creatures = 16 cards

4 x Loxodon Hierarch
2 x Kaho, Minamo Historian
4 x Birds of Paradise
2 x Simic Sky Swallower
4 x Llanowar elves

Enchantments = 4
4 x Utopia Sprawl

Instants / Sorceries = 20 cards

3 x Time of Need
1 x Remand
3 x Mana Leak
2 x Spell Snare
4 x Ghostway
4 x Wrath of God
3 x Time Stop

Lands = 21 cards

3 x Breeding Pool
3 x Hallowed Fountain
3 x Temple Garden
4 x Forest
3 x Island
3 x Plains
2 x Boseiju, who shelters all

Sideboard = 15 cards

2 x Remand
2 x spell snare
3 x Research / Development
2 x Windreaver
4 x Valor Made real
2 x Leyline of Lifeforce

Thank you, Guys! You made me Exclamation indestructible Exclamation !!!
Twisted Evil Wua - ha - ha - ha - ha Twisted Evil !!!(JOKE)
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:30 pm
Wow. I would SO not want to play against that deck.

Things you may want to consider: some sort of more counterspells (to stop them from killing Kaho)

Playing more copies of Kaho. After all, the only thing better then timing for a kaho is having one Very Happy

Another land or two? In the last PT, there were 22 and 23 land decks as the T8, usually control had 23 and agro had 22.

Seriously, this looks like a formidable deck.
Memnarch Mastermind
Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:48 pm
Yea, you are right. normally I take in at least 22 lands, although my buddies stay away from this and hold their 20, but as I know(and they do either) it works better the more lands are in.

21 seems good because I haven’t had any trouble, but I have indeed charged another forest for the Llanowar elves and so on.

Thank you again, your tips were very helpful. Respect Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

To be honest: I use in casual Force of will, so I adepted just the mana leaks to be standart-legal.
ure_d_best
Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:17 pm
Interesting deck you got. Also, good combinations.
Memnarch Mastermind
Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:11 am
Can you explain this? Seems a bit thin what you say... no reasons for and against are somehow not... reasonable...
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:31 pm
OK. Twenty-two lands is good because the people who played less got beaten. I believe it has something to do with the percentage of hitting land drops the first 4 turns in a row, but I’m not quite sure on all the numbers. What I do know is it works.
Memnarch Mastermind
Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:58 pm
That’s right, you can calculate it yourself. As I said, some of my folks are just having 20 lands to get their 60 cards-minimum, but they are having trouble to hold a reliable position during the game, mostly stuck with 3 or four lands while I have a land on nearly every turn(I have to say I am having lots of fun in casual with white and about 70 lifepoints before I strike at once with soldiers Laughing ).

But too many lands will let you fail because you’ll have a lot of mana for nothing.
Nevertheless I took in 4 Simic signets because I get mana burn on turn two, ow it works even better that before. I also took in 4 Kahos(+2), that is really heavy, guys, I’m telling you! Never had that much fun!
Osion
Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:55 am
I haven’t kept track of all of the other arguments on this article, but one glaring thing that I just had to point out:

Using Valor Made Real as a method against Zoo is ridiculous.

This is a junk card even in limited. You mentioned using it to "make a hero out of Watchwolf" and save yourself a turn.

1. Why aren’t you swinging with your early Watchwolf?
2. You make your wolf into a super-blocker, then they cast Lightning Helix (or Char, or give their creatures protection from white with Bathe in Light) and they just laugh.
3. If you want a 1-mana instant that can give yourself a turn, try Holy Day, or Ethereal Mist

Even so, a marginal reactive card is pretty much going to be a dead four slots. I wouldn’t ever see a situation where this would be used.

Another thing: your card base is strangely blended

Why use 1x Remand and 3x Mana Leak when you can play a full playset? Barring some Kaho tricks with one-ofs, it is much better for consistency. Wither you want the cantrip, or you want an early game hard counter. Pick four of one, not one and three.

Spell Snare is good at doing what it was meant to do: stoping 2-drops and other early game spells (like Mana Leak, Last Gasp, etc...) It you only have two copies, then it is simply not going to show up enough to do its job. Either play four or drop the current two, because right now it is only diluting the cardpool, imo.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest