LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

33%
  [ 1 ]  33%

33%
  [ 1 ]  33%

33%
  [ 1 ]  33%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 3
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:34 pm
I would not play any deck that could be construed as relying on a couple creatures. The deck to beat is ghost husk, remember, so they’ll play mortify, sick. shoal, fetters, probably rusulka or last gasp, and maybe jitte. In other words, LOTS of removal. I think therefore that dragonaut burn would not be a wise choice....

Any chance you have wrath of god (4x?) If you do, you could try a W/R control, using ghostly prison, wrath of god, fetters, reciprocate, devouring light, Firemane angel and Kumano. I can help with a list if you’re interested... this would be based off the deck ilvaldi took to regionals here, except I wouldn’t be making it the ten minutes before, I hope.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:30 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
Never mind, but thanks anyway, Grail. We’re both going with a Gruul LD and a Golgari/Orzhov mass destruction for control. Posting the results here tomorrow, with complete deck lists and analysis. Hope at least it’s fun to play!
I don't like YOU.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:50 pm
Well, first of all, didn’t get as pummeled as I thought! 3 out of 6 ain’t THAT bad with a deck build the night before the tournament, PLUS, during it, I received news my mom was at the hospital, so things got kinda out of hand... Still, nice to play! Also, I COULD have gone to the finals, had I designed the deck just a bit differently (so I’d have a switchboard), missed it by one match (an easy one...). I’ll try to get the deck lists for the T8, so I can write a nice article about the tournament. Also, I stayed to watch the Final, so I could do a turn-by-turn analysis, but due to what happened (I actually went straight from the tournament to the hospital, and spent the whole night there, awake...) I simply can’t find my sheet... Sorry guys.
As soon as I can get my hands on the deck lists, though, I’ll re-write this one, it’s gonna be nice, I think! Thank all of you guys for the help! Now, it’s waiting for Coldsnap. And waiting for Grail’s article about Champions Weekend (or something like this). Very Happy
I don't like YOU.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:55 pm
Well, Champs was far different than that...

I can’t believe it was 6 rounds only! That’s amazing! Would a 4-2 really have made it? I know at my state Champs, 5-1-1 made it as a minimum, and one of them didn’t. Perhaps it was due to the high number of people.

Keep in mind the structure of the tournament... perhaps if you had won another match earlier, you would have been paired against a tougher opponent, you might not have done so well.

By the same token, perhaps if you’d lost earlier on, you could have won your way up the ranks from the bottom. You just never know how these things worked out.

In my tourney, I got paired against the dude who just beat the best player in maryland, and lost by a whopping two life. However, I proceeded to lose the next round as well, eliminating me from contention because I faced another one of those high-ranked players in Maryland. Granted, my DCI number jumped a lot from beating an 18xx player round two, but you just never know. I saw many of the decks around the top, and I know I could have T8ed on a better luck (and not playing a couple of REALLY stupid cards). I’ll write an article on that, later, when I’m home, though. For now, it’s back to visiting Wash. U and then Earlham!
Felipe Musco
Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:13 pm
I didn’t check the standings yet, so I BELIEVE I COULD have made T8 with 5-1, but I’ll have to check on that later, when I get the T 8 decklists. And you are correct about the tournament format, however, a lot of big sharks got paired up the first 2 rounds, so I ended up playing 2 of them. Considering the decks, I played 4, but I got lucky agains one of them (since the guy took a hand with 3 lands and wasn’t expecting to play an LD, so it gave me the upper hand), and the other just had a really bad player behind it. Now, it’s preparing for Coldsnap!!!
I don't like YOU.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:00 pm
Oh, sorry, I thought you said you won three of six and were one match off, my bad.
Yeah, I may or may not be able to go to the prerelease for Snap Sad Oh well, I’ll see what I can do.

If not, it’s a box and a draft with friends for me Very Happy
Osion
Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:43 am
I’ve actually only read your orginal post, so I won’t vote yet until I read more and get a better idea of what this deck is about.

However, from what I’ve seen, I had a very similiar idea to this. My build wasn’t really good by a long shot, but it’s been my personal fave and Grail rags me for it. Just the other day he refered to Silhana Ledgewalker as my favorite card. Razz

My build:

17 Forest
4 Overgrown Tomb

4 Wood Elves

4 Dryad Sophisticate
4 Silhana Ledgewalker
4 Skarrgan Pit-Skulk
4 Vinelasher Kudzu

4 Peutrfy
3 Wildsize

4 Blanchwood Armor
4 Moldervine Cloak
4 Umezawa’s Jitte

Basically get an evasion creaure (preferably Ledgewalker, as he can’t be targeted by your opponents) and enchant it with a Cloak or Blanchwood Armor (which I suggest you use) or Umezawa’s Jitte and swing like no tommorrow.

The Wood Elves can search for Overgrown Tombs that can then be used to play Peutrfy, The deck’s only black spell.

All the lands makes Blanchwood Armor (which counts Tombs as forests) and Vinelasher Kudzu really big.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:33 pm
AAAHHHHHHH it’s the angry green men deck! *Points up one post*

As for ledgewalker, you never, ever have anything bad to say about him, like his uselessness in limited without a good buff spell (he failed me at regionals so I’m mad at him).

For those of you wondering, I scrubbingly, scrubbingly scrubbed out at 4-3... I got beaten by two of the best players there and one guy I just had no reason for losing to. Osion (soon to be gone for a week and a half unless he is already) saw my pool and knew.

Basically, I spread myself thin. Good cards:

Loxodon Hierarch
Moroii
Putrefy
Mortify
Szadek, Lord of Secrets
Golgari Rotwurm

I stretched out for blue. And fell.

I had many of the best bombs in the set, but here were shortcomings:

1) No guildmages at all!
2) No bouncelands on color (both were half red)
3) Not much removal, despite quality
4) No mana fixers who do other things (civic wayfinder etc) Only non-signet fixer was a farseek
5) I got paired against the best player in the shop (who’d beaten #1 in the state earlier that day) Sad
Felipe Musco
Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:12 pm
Don’t like the Kudzu on your build, Osion. He’s not that great unless you have Bouncelands and/or Kodama’s Reach to speed up his beefing process. I think something like Shielding Plax (for the poor guys that are simply not so great as Silhana) or Might of Oaks may be better.
I don't like YOU.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:30 pm
actually, having polayed with and against Osion’s "Angry Green Men" deck (and responding on his behalf because I believe he’s away for a litte while), the kudzu with a turn three wood elves is devastating.

My actualy complaint with him is the lack of one-drops. I think an agro deck should have them (especially elvish berserker or BoP or llanowars).

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest