LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Standard
Gandalf_the_Black
Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:45 pm
Hey everybody, this deck I made has been performing admirably against all kinds of other decks.

FP:

Starting:
Boromir, Bearer of Council
The One Ring, The Ring of Rings
Aragorn, Strider
Faramir, Captain of Gondor
Denethor, Lord of Minas Tirith

Anduril, Flame of the West x 2
Boromir, my Brother
Brego, (Bloodlines version)
Elendil, The Tall
Gondorian Blade x 2
Faramir’s Sword x 1
Guardian x 2
The Highest Quality x 4
Houses of Healing x 3
Invigorated x 2
King’s Legaxy x 2
Narsil, Blade of the Faithful x 2
Noble Leaders x 4
Ring of Barahir x 2
Sapling of the White Tree x 4
Scroll of Isildur x 2
Steward’s Legacy x 2

Shadow

Armored Easterling x 3
Caravan from the South x 3
Castamir of Umbar, Corsair Vandal x 3
Countless Companies
Dunlending Trapper x 3
Easterling Host x 3
Harrying Hillman x 3
Lying in wait x 2
Merciless Dunlending x 4
Messenger’s Mount
The Mouth of Sauron, Messenger of Mordor x 4
Pavise
Poisonous Words x 2
Rampaging Easterling x 3
Stragglers x 4

Strategy

With this deck it doesn’t matter whether you go first or second. Ideally, it would be better to go first in case you don’t get a good shadow draw, and since you only need 1 plains site on the adventure path, the first one is sufficient and it can’t be replaced.
FP side
I did not want to put any of the new token reinforcing cards in seeing as how I do not have room or possessions in my deck for it to be any use. In fact, I often find that I need to use up tokens to play my 4 Noble Leaders (they are unique). That is why Brego is in there. Combined with Steward’s Legacy, it can be painful. Put him on Faramir and goodbye special abilities. Put him on Boromir and goodbye minions. With all the artifacts, Elendil is almost certain to win skirmishes, and combined with King’s Legacy, he’ll be pumping other companions as well. The Highest Quality is probably the best event for this deck. Why events? Well they help against Orc Burden decks, and this event in particular works well with Steward’s Legacy. Combined with healing, this deck is a force to be reckoned with.

Shadow Side
The strategy is simple. Everytime I’ve playtested this deck, I’ve gotten my minions + 20 to + 50 strength using Stragglers. Just watch the Free People’s player make a mistake assigning minions because its such a pain. I’ve also never seen a deck set up as quickly as this one. Using the Mouth of Sauron, it is easy to get conditions out and running, allowing for more twilight generation with Poisonous Words, thus allowing Armored Easterling to be used with great efficiency. Dunlending Trapper will get rid of pesky companions like Merry, Swordthain or Pippin, WoBas. Pavise and Messenger’s Mount will defend against archery and direct wounding. Lying in Wait and Easterling Host are used for maximum strength. This is a deck to be reckoned with and I don’t think many people have seen the possibilities with Lurking Men.
Last edited by Gandalf_the_Black on Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
dexterngo
Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:48 pm
Joined: 20 Jul 2005 Posts: 60 Location: Manila, Philippines
nice looking deck Very Happy
too bad i can't comment on the cards because i have not seen them in action.
sigh... blood lines , bloodlines, where are thou??? Razz
Do or do not, there is no try
Cobra
Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:31 pm
Interesting stuff, I'll have to keep an eye out for both halves of that deck. Smile

Seems like wounding knights would be a problem for the Shadow... Perhaps an extra Messenger's Mount or two for preventing that final wound?
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
joseph_c_chua
Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:44 am
Not using Denethor, LoMT?

I really like your shadow. Combining Caravan From the South and Stragglers is deadly!

Oh, and does your deck cycle well? 40/40 seems too large, IMHO.
hblika
Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:10 am
Your starting fellowship is illegal. The new Denethor costs 3 twilight, as opposed to the old Denothor's 2 twilight cost.

I also agree with joseph_c_chua about your decksize. 40/40 is way too big, even if you had used Denethor LoMT's filtering ability.
I'm not stupid. I'm just unlucky when I'm thinking.
Earthshaker
Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:40 am
hblika wrote:
Your starting fellowship is illegal. The new Denethor costs 3 twilight, as opposed to the old Denothor's 2 twilight cost.

Wizened steward is 2 twilight, with Faramir only 1.
It's not the new Denethor (7c86). Smile
hblika
Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:46 am
Earthshaker wrote:
hblika wrote:

Wizened steward is 2 twilight, with Faramir only 1.
It's not the new Denethor (7c86). Smile

Ah, sorry about that.
I didn't figure anyone was using that Denethor LOL
I'm not stupid. I'm just unlucky when I'm thinking.
Cobra
Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:47 am
Yup, Wizened Steward is old, the Bloodlines version is Last Ruling Steward.

I definitely agree that you should use Lord of Minas Tirith, though -- sacrifice 1 strength (8 vs. 9 max) and your FP is incapable of bad draws. Smile
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
david_robertson
Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:16 pm
Looks nice, but 40/40 is way too big... Wink

hblika wrote:
I also agree with joseph_c_chua about your decksize. 40/40 is way too big, even if you had used Denethor LoMT's filtering ability.
East Stirling FC RULES!!!
Gandalf_the_Black
Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:52 pm
Mistake!! I put in the wrong Denethor.

It should be

Denethor, Lord of Minas Tirith

Also, for those saying that 40/40 is too big, I find it to be just right. This deck sets up extremely fast. With Mouth of Sauron to pull pavise and conditions, I almost always get at least 10 conditions out by site 3, and Boromir my brother discards all those unique Gondor artifacts from hand to give + 1 strength to Faramir and Denethor. I usually am close to decking myself at the end of the game. (Plus, I'm not very good at building 30/30 decks. Just too many darn cards I want to put in Wink )

I must say though, thanks for all the reviews! I posted my Shadow side on the Decipher boards and didn't get a single review!

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Standard