LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Standard (Type 2)
Felipe Musco
Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:43 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
--- description ---
This is a deck designed for the Two-Headed Giant format, to help out Vore!
--- end description ---

I’ve been playing 2HG for a while now, and I’m starting to like it more and more. It gives you room to be REALLY creative and innovative, as well as a way to use some of those cards you just KNOW are cool, but haven’t been properly broken yet! Now, there are three main things you must know about 2HG to be an okay player:
1- You have A LOT of life, so aggro won’t help out much, control tends to be a better way to go.
2- Yours and your partner’s deck MUST HAVE SINERGY!
3- You don’t get to sideboard. You either have an answer or you don’t.
I’ll give you a decklist of a deck I designed in about 10 minutes, to pair it up with my Vore build (it’s posted here, check it out if you want), and did A LOT better than I expected it to!
Now, as you might be aware of, in 2HG, BOTH your decks TOGETHER can’t have more than 4 copies of a card, except basic Lands, so the first changes made are to the Vore Build. Instead of packing the Lands posted there, change it to the following:

22 Lands:
12 Island
10 Mountain

That because you’ll need the duals and pains for THIS deck. But enough talk, let’s take a good look at the list, shall we?

HELPING HAND (60 cards)

23 Lands:

4 Urza’s Mine
4 Urza’s Tower
4 Urza’s Power Plant
4 Shivan Reef
4 Steam Vents
2 Island
1 Mountain

10 Artifacts:
4 Izzet Signet
3 Spectral Searchlight
3 Muse Vessel

1 Creature:
1 Magnivore

6 Sorceries:
4 Sift
2 Tidings

20 Instants:
4 Telling Time
4 Rune Snag
4 Cancel
3 Spell Burst
2 Reiterate
3 Repeal

Now, I’ll open explanations with the Artifacts. Why so much mana-fixers? First, you’re playing an UrzaTron build, so colored mana IS an issue every now and then. Second, your partner is most likely going to blow the table with a Wildfire as soon as possible, so you must be able to produce colored mana, since you’ll almost always try to keep your UrzaTron pieces around, sacrificing the other lands. Then, there’s Muse Vessel. It does not need any further explanation, I believe, it’s effect is pretty straightforward after all. However, if I’m getting spells from an opponent, why no Annex? And the answer to that one is simple: Spectral Searchlight is just plain better in multiplayer. It gives you a mana of any color; it costs only 3 COLORLESS mana to play; it can ping opponents for free if you don’t use the mana that turn; AND, last but CERTAINLY not least, it can fix YOUR PARTNER’S mana or speed him up! After all, he was kind enough to lend your deck allç the duas and pains, wasn’t him? Wink
The rest of the build is pretty much card-drawing and permission. That sole Magnivore is here because let’s face it: counting FOUR graveyards makes him look that much better after all, right?
Now, we come across the deck’s "perks": Spell Burst and Reiterate. Spell Burst is already known to be very powerful with an UrzaTron, but what about Reiterate? You partner CAN aim a Compulsive Research at you, yes, but wouldn’t it be better if you did one, too, WITH him? Not to mention, Reiterating Demolish, Stone Rain and Telling Time is just mean! Oh, yes, in a pinch, you can also Reiterate a Counterspell of sorts, in case your opponent tries one, or even something like a Persecute (and yes, you DON’T have to let the original one resolve, either)! And with an UrzaTron assembled, paying buyback is a breeze (oh, yes, and you can Repeal a Bogardan Hellkite, or even an Akroma, easily)!

Now, comes the SECOND part of the strategy. You know how to play the Vore, and you know how to play this one. But how to play them BOTH, together? First thing, select a "target". Good targets are, in this order: LD decks, Counter-happy decks, Discard decks and Tron decks. The one playing one of those will be the one the Vore player will have to lock down early game (’cause late game you can always start Reiterating LD spells to lock them both anyway; although one LD every now and then to, say, shut down a whole color if he’s mana-screwed or to prevent a Tron of assembling is not out of question). Your role, as the Helping Hand, is simple. Always have counter mana up, to either ensure the early-game LD’ing, or to make sure he can dig through his deck to find the sealing Wildfire as quick as possible. If you need to tap out for the turn (usually to play about 2-5 mana Artifacts you’ve been saving at once), make sure the Vore player either has Mana Leaks or Remands to help you out. Now, once the Vore player has found his Wildfire, TIME IT OUT! There’s no use in playing a Wildfire that’s cripple your mana base, leaving the Vore player unprotected. The rest, is skill and fine-tuning, which you’ll only acquire by playing more and more. However, might I add, I’ve been playing these decks together for the last three 2HG tournaments around here, and so far me and my friend have a perfect score with it! Shocked
Now, I’ve found 2HG to be a really fun format, and one that needs quite a good amount of skill, since netdecking is harder (btw, hope this helps! Razz ), so I highly recommend it to everyone out there, specially those that like a casual game every now and then, since you have A LOT of fun by tagging along with a friend to wreck some people apart!
Post any questions, doubts or suggestions here, and I’ll be glad to answer them! Hope you all enjoy the format, and the deck as well!
I don't like YOU.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:04 pm
I actually like annex in 2HG, because many players take the chance to play very slow decks with karoos. Stealing a karoo can really upset the opposing mana base a LOT.

Muse vessel is a little too expensive for me, personally.

In 2HG, I always liked infinate (or close) loops with a counter-deck backing it up. You could use the mizzet plus any number of things to get you a combo that could not go infinate completely but allow a massive hand against reduced life totals. Combos are easier in 2HG because of the synergy you mentioned.

Looks like you’re doing quite well with this, I hope my tweaks help!
Felipe Musco
Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:23 pm
I never thought about trying a Mizzet combo... I’ll try to get some Teferis, and see what I can do with it. However, this may mean my Magnivore will have to go, and I’m becoming quite fond of him in 2HG (ok, Vore itself still has 3, but...). Also, if I use Mizzet, as I siad, I’ll probably have to use Teferi to make the combo work well, and Ophidian Eye or something. Also, lifegain could be a pain in a 40-life game, and I could go through my entire deck and still not deal enough damage...
On the other hand, your advice is sound on Muse Vessel. I’ve been trying it out for a while, and it’s simply not worth it. Too much wasted mana, for usually about 2-3 useful cards in an entire match... I’ll check some other locks out, to see what U/R can do, but I think Mizzet is a little difficult to use.
I don't like YOU.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:35 pm
So don’t take out your vore. Throw in mizzet instead of muse vessel and you’ve solved the problems.

One other thing. I recommend compulsive research over sift, because it’s cheaper and usually you end up discarding land anyway.

If nothing else, Mizzet is a magnet for removal. If this is a "helping hand" deck, you’ll want to suck removal away so your ally can have threats. Even if you don’t combo with him, he still takes out confidant, sucks removal, and occasionally gives card advantage.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:21 am
Hey, I liked it! I’ll try it out. Oh, yes, I can’t use Compulsive Research, because I pair this with my UR Vore, and the 4 copies are there. And Vore needs it more, specially my version, since already have 8 cards in the four-slot, 4 Demolish and 4 Annex (also needed to accelerate into a Wildifre or to be less hurt, since I have UrzaTron and signets and he doesn’t, that’s why I can’t use any here).
I don't like YOU.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:38 am
Felipe Musco wrote:
Hey, I liked it! I’ll try it out. Oh, yes, I can’t use Compulsive Research, because I pair this with my UR Vore, and the 4 copies are there. And Vore needs it more, specially my version, since already have 8 cards in the four-slot, 4 Demolish and 4 Annex (also needed to accelerate into a Wildifre or to be less hurt, since I have UrzaTron and signets and he doesn’t, that’s why I can’t use any here).

Right, right. My bad. Sift just seems a little slow to me for netting just two cards (minus the one you spent). Try out 4x tidings, 2x mizzet over the 4x sift, 2x tidings maybe?

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Standard (Type 2)