LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Gameplay Questions
Which LOTR TCG tournament format is the best?

Standard  
21%
  [ 13 ]  21%

Expanded  
36%
  [ 22 ]  36%

Open  
33%
  [ 20 ]  33%

Block  
8%
  [ 5 ]  8%

Total Votes : 60
corvus
Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:35 pm
Joined: 13 Oct 2006 Posts: 1696 Location: Roaming, but dangerous!!!
Alright, you must be a little young in the game. Very Happy I’ll try to explain most:

Aggression: It can be used in a combo with another condition that lets you play a condition from your discard pile each time you lose initiative. I don’t remember how exactly it works, but it does some crazy card drawing or something...

Galadriel, Lady Redeemed: Whoa! The perfect splash for ANY deck! Very Happy
You just play her in your SF for free (a victim companion at the very least!) and add some copies of stand against darkness, seclusion or that anti-Isengard event, and wreck ANY condition OR possession based shadow for minimum cost.

Mordor Fiend: You use up the twilight with anything except minions (the dark lord’s summons), and re-add it. Fun.

Final Account: Hmm, i’ve used it along with Moria and it was way too good. If it was used to take just one card of your choice, believe me, it would still be too strong. Just think of playing it twice, along with a copy of saved from the fire. The ultimate set-up...

Demoralized: Rapid Reload. Links speak loud.

Saruman’s Snows: I’d rather still have it in the game Very Happy
Too strong, not allowing skirmish special abilities for just an exert...

Sting: Frodo with 6 vitality + Sting = No orc shadows! Yay!

Galadriel, Lady of the Golden Wood: Well, in a round you have Celeborn as well, you play Gil-Galad, Elrond, Cirdan and some other guy for 0 twilight...

The Palantir of Orthanc: C’mon, way too NPE! you just play anything cheap, make the opponent put back all his cards, and play fp skirmish events in your fellowship phase! Excellent splash for any Isengard deck Laughing

Saruman, Keeper of Isengard: Too strong. I love him, I’ve enjoyed slashing through elves, halflings, men and dwarves with him and 5 uruks, but no he is unfair. No wounds, all fierce. We are damage +1 Nazgul...

Hope I helped.
Click here if you want to trade some foils away Wink
Far, Far beyond the island we dwelt in shapes of twilight
Through draught and weary days
Through grief and endless pain
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:40 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
I understand why many of these were X-ed, but I have to confess I’m a bit confused about the following:

Here are the reasons as far as I can tell; someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Aggression - No broken combos, just a very easy way to get damage +1 and a very easy way to draw 4 cards.

Galadriel, Lady Redeemed - When she was released, many many decks were focused around her. She made every Shadow that relied on support area conditions/possessions useless.

Mordor Fiend - He can cycle through your entire deck with The Underdeeps of Moria / The Dark Lord’s Summons.

Final Account - Too easy of a way to retrieve cards for both sides of your deck.

Demoralized - With Demoralized x4, Mountain Troll, and Rallying Orc, it was possible to add loads of twilight and play every Orc minion from your discard pile.

Saruman’s Snows - Overpowered card. It might have been X-ed because of a certain combo, but I can’t remember. Embarassed

Sting - Back when Frodo was the only Ring-bearer, this was included in almost every deck. It gave you the ability to know what you were fighting against, and it encouraged twilight choke decks.

Galadriel, Lady of the Golden Wood - Her ability was deemed too powerful with the new site path rules.

Aragorn, Heir to the White City - Twilight choke decks were by far the most common deck after ROTEL was released, and Aragorn got banned since they were so much of an NPE.

The Palantir of Orthanc - No idea. Think

Saruman, Keeper of Isengard - Again, I’m not really sure why he was X-ed. I’m assuming it’s just because he’s very powerful.

- AC

EDIT: Corvus beat me to it.
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:55 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
Thanks, guys. You each win a free GP for your help. Smile That clears up a lot of things, and your explanations certainly make sense. I had my suspicions about several of those, but I wanted to hear from someone really in the know.

Thanks again!
Merrick_Hale
Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:39 pm
As far as Saruman’s Snows is concerned, it went against what the designers of the game were trying to accomplish - get people to play skirmish events. Most decks relied on permanents for their cost effectiveness, pay once and get a card out of hand for an ongoing effect vs skirmish events which choke your hand if they show up at the wrong time. With Saruman’s Snows in the game, why would you ever play skirmish events if you might not be able to use them (or special abilities, but that was a lesser consideration) at the key moment.

A small 3 to 5 card combo was used regularly in swarm decks that would Prevent archery special abilities (Legolas, Greenleaf and Aragorn’s Bow) and stop all skirmish events and special abilities)

1x Isengard Smith
1x Isengard Shaman
1x Saruman’s Snows

Additional
1x Ulaire Nertea, messenger of Dol Guldur
1x Isengard Shaman or Isengard Smith

This pretty much guaranteed that you would be able to swarm the ring bearer.

Another place this card was popular was in the Firebomb deck. The isengard Orcs were replaced with a version of Grima (usually Grima Wormtongue) to get the Saruman’s Snows on the table with a cheap, high vitality minion that might be able to hurt the opponent’s fellowship.

Generally the cards hit the x-list because they were too powerful given the state of the game or they were not culturally enforced well enough (such as Galadriel, Lady Redeemed who has no spot requirement)
Aaron Rhinehart
Rider of Rohan (retired)
DAgent #417 (retired)

This Incognito is a smooth operator - Lem0nhead
Anvar
Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:19 pm
The Palantir was x-listed mainly because it was such an NPE, you could just put all your opponent’s cards on top of the deck and they would be unable to play them. Being unable to play your cards is annoying.

The other reason it was x-listed, though this is just a guess on my part, is because it interacts too well with Initiative. The palantir was x-listed just when King block was around and the timing seemed to be more than coincidence.

Keeper of Isengard is on the x-list because of the Uruk Bomb decks that were prevalent after the release of the Two Towers. With Saruman and Uruk Regulars and the site 5 that made your Isengard minions cheaper, it became far too easy to win. Also Uruks don’t do fierce as easily as KOI let them, so it would still be overpowered even without the site.

Hope that helps,
Anvar
NBarden
Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:01 pm
Also, 4x Demoralized with a Rapid Reload combo could exhaust a fellowship and give you the twilight to play whistling death. Extremely broken combo...

And with Galadriel, Lady Redeemed, as soon as you see a Snow White and the Seven Dwarves deck, you see why this card should be xd. It creates the stupidest combo ever developed. (Gimli RB, Dain Ironfoot, Durin III, Dwarf Guard x 4, Galadriel, Lady Redeemed.)
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Gameplay Questions