LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Standard (Type 2)
Shizknight
Posted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:02 am
--- description ---
Counter everything then destroy whats left.
--- end description ---

creatures:

4- Daring Apprentices
4- Soulsworn Jury
2- Grand Arbitor, Augustin IV
4- Spiketail Drakling
4- Magus of the Disk
2- Ministries of Impendments

instant, enchantment, etc...

2- Counterbalance
4- Cancel
4- Follow Footsteps
2- Mana Tithe
4- Wrath of God
4- Gaze of Injustice

Lands:

4- Island/Plains Dual Land (I forgot the name
8- Island
8- Plains
Felipe Musco
Posted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:08 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
Ok, a few things, you should always tell what your deck is trying to accomplish, what’s the main strategy, how it WINS, etc. From what I can gather, you win with beatdown while controlling the game, so let’s see how to improve it. Oh, yes, and try to add sideboards to your decks, too, it helps out a lot to see what you think your main weaknesses may be.
Daring Apprentice - Not that useful of a creature, I’d rather play Temporal Adept in the long term run, since it goes nicely with Augustin’s ability.
Soulsworn Jury - Could stay, since it’s good enough against aggro, but it’s mainly dead against control and/or combo.
Magus of the Disk - Completely counter-intuitive, since he kills your own creatures and is not a heavy swinger. Better stick with Wrath of God if you’re going for control.
Minister of Impediments - Again, dead against control, and against aggros I’d rather go with something like Azorius Guildmage, as it has a larger body. However, in control, I’d go with either Icy Manipulator and/or Snow Lands and Rimewind Taskmage.
Counterbalance - Counterbalance is not good unless you can manipulate the top of your library AT LEAST a little with it’s trigger on the stack. In Extended, it’s good with Sensei’s Divining Top. In Standard, it’s only marginally good with stuff like Telling Time, and an eventual Survivor of the Unseen, although the latter is quite expensive and easily disruptable, so it’s mainly a lost two-card space in the deck.
Followed Footsteps - I see where you want to get with it, but copying Magus would do no good, Augustin would kill itself when the token came into play (legend rule), and you don’t have that many GREAT creatures to copy for all that mana, so you’ll be depending on your opponent to deliver goodies, not worth the cost. Easier to just play Confiscate to do that (not that great, either).
Mana Tithe - Great choice for a UW control, but you’ll NEED it early on, so it’s only good if you play 4 of it.
Gaze of Justice - Terrible removal. Pongify is better, although I’d rely on Wrath of God and not play any of those. You could also try Judge Unworthy, from Future Sight, as a way to filter your deck, getting better draws.
For the mana base, you can use Nimbus Maze, from Future Sight, and ALSO use BOTH Adarkar Wastes AND Hallowed Fountain, making for a much more reliable manabase.
Also, if you’re playing control, you’ll need something better than the Augustin lock, although you CAN make use of it. I’d go for a more counter-happy approach (Rune Snag and Remand, at least), and pack a solid finisher, like Akroma, Angel of Wrath or Adarkar Valkyrie. Also, you need some card-drawing.
Along the lines of what you seem to want, I’d play something like:

23 Lands:
4 Hallowed Fountain
4 Adarkar Wastes
4 Nimbus Maze
3 Flagstones of Trokair
2 Plains
3 Island
2 Calciform Pools
1 Urza’s Factory

7 Creatures:
2 Adarkar Valkyrie
2 Grand Arbiter Augustin IV
2 Temporal Adept
1 Akroma, Angel of Wrath

10 Sorceries:
4 Wrath of God
4 Compulsive Research
2 Tidings

12 Instants:
4 Mana Tithe
4 Remand
4 Rune Snag

8 Artifacts:
4 Azorius Signet
4 Icy Manipulator

Sideboard:
4 Faith’s Fetters
3 Tormod’s Crypt
3 Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir
3 Aeon Chronicler
2 Magus of the Moat

With this deck, you can stall the game as much as you like clearing the board as needed, ramp up on mana, and just win with a big creature against aggro, or use Urza’s Factory against control. Post-side, you have Crypt against reanimators, dredgers, Dralnu and Call fo the Herd, Magus of the Moat against aggro decks lighter on removal, Chronicler to provide card-advantage against control or a bigger body more quicly against aggro, Faith’s Fetters against Sacred Mesa, or if you need more stalling and life-gain against aggro, and Teferi against, well, basically anything! Stick down a Teferi, you can stop most controls and combos right on tehir tracks!
I don't like YOU.
Shizknight
Posted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:01 am
ok, sry about not explaining the deck first off the follwed foot steps is for daring apprentice and secondly i was in a hurry to make this one sry about that too i redo it later, but now i got 2 go laterz

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Standard (Type 2)