LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Standard
joseph_c_chua
Posted: Fri May 18, 2007 11:23 am
--- description ---
This deck is a Pipeweed/ Uruk-hai Site Control deck. The Free peoples side focuses on surviving skirmishes while the Shadow side aims to kill companions through numerous exertions.
--- end description ---

Sites
Breeding Pit of Isengard
Isenwash
Expanding Marshland
Nurn
Hobbiton Market
Caras Galadhon
Trollshaw Forest
Pinnacle of Zirakzigil
Valley of the Silverlode

Free Peoples (33)

RB:
Frodo, Weary From the Journey
The One Ring, Such a Weight to Carry

Companions:
1x Merry, In the Bloom of Health (start)
1x Pippin, In the Bloom of Health (start)
1x Tolman Cotton, Farmer of Bywater (start)
1x Gandalf, Manager of Wizards

Possessions:
3x Hobbit Sword
1x Sting, Weapon of Heritage
1x Glamdring, Foe-hammer
1x Shadowfax, Unequaled Steed

Conditions:
4x Halfling Leaf
4x Southfarthing Leaf
3x Hornblower Leaf
3x G for Grand
1x Brooding on Tomorrow
1x Birthday Present

Events:
3x Momentous Gathering
2x Peace of Mind
2x So Fair, So Desperate

Strategy: The aim here is just to survive. Halfling Leaf is most important in this regard since it allows you to cancel skirmishes. The other pipeweeds, most of the time, would serve as fodder for Halfling Leaf’s ability. G for Grand gives RB protection and allows me to win some skirmishes. Gandalf continues to help in winning/surviving skirmishes (or overwhelming, in conjunction with So Fair, So Desperate) and allows me to lose initiative for Brooding on Tomorrow and So Fair, So Desperate. Pipeweeds are recycled by using Merry and Southfarthing Leaf: Merry puts back pipeweeds in the draw deck and Southfarthing Leaf plays them back and allows you to shuffle your draw deck as well; Peace of Mind heals Merry. You can clear the way for a double move using Hornblower Leaf. The weaknesses of this FP are: Archery/wounding, massive condition removal, and Cavern Entrance. Swarms might hurt this too since there is not much RB protection.

Shadow (33)
Minions:
3x Chasing Uruk
2x Lurtz, Minion of the White Wizard
3x White Hand Warrior
2x Saruman, Agent of the Dark Lord
3x White Hand Invader
3x White Hand Guard
1x Ugluk, Ugly Fellow (I only have 1)
3x Uruk Village Assassin
1x Sentry Uruk

Conditions:
3x Poised For Assault
2x Deathly Roar
1x Fortitude
2x You Do Not Know Pain
2x Fearless Approach
2x Weapons of Control

Strategy: Wear down the FP companions through exertions. Deathly Roar exerts companions each time an Uruk wins. You Do Not Know Pain exerts companions each time a site is controlled (either maneuver: Uruk Village Assassin, or skirmish: Poised For Assault). Fearless Approach adds more tokens. White Hand Invader exerts companions when played. The problem with this shadow is that they don’t win that many skirmishes when facing high-strength FPs such as Ents. I’m thinking of adding some hand weapons, especially Berserker Torch.
Last edited by joseph_c_chua on Mon May 21, 2007 9:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Thranduil
Posted: Fri May 18, 2007 12:02 pm
Which is that Uruk card that costs 1 and reinforces 3 Uruk-hai tokens? Given that the village assassin is one of your best ways to control sites, I might consider putting some of that card in (and it also stops your opponent controlling the site path somehow, but I can’t remember how). Throw in another white hand invader, then some Gothmog, Lieutenant of Morgul, that combo’s hilarious - you don’t even need to win any fights! Razz

I had some ideas for your freeps, but I started on shadow, and now I’ve forgotten what I was going to say. I’ll tell you if I remember.

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
joseph_c_chua
Posted: Fri May 18, 2007 12:24 pm
Yeah, 2 copies of that Uruk card (Fearless Approach) is in my deck. Do you think I should add another Fearless Approach and Village Assassin?

As for Gothmog, I think I have 2 or 3 copies of him. Hm...for more wounding, maybe I can even add Swarthy Hillman: he’s cheap, he’s an archer while I control a site, and he has no spotting requirements!
TheShyzle
Posted: Fri May 18, 2007 1:46 pm
You have no ents so Momentous Gathering is no good.
Just a thought Razz
LOOK HERE:
http://lotrtcgdb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=5185
Foresight
Posted: Fri May 18, 2007 1:58 pm
TheShyzle wrote:
You have no ents so Momentous Gathering is no good.
Just a thought Razz

He gets his Gandalf conditions from his draw deck with it. (He can spot 2 ents with merry/pippin)
In his eyes was the look of a hunted beast seeking some gap in the ring of his enemies. Men
TheShyzle
Posted: Fri May 18, 2007 2:02 pm
oops my bad. So fair so Desperate is a sweet card in this deck. Good one.
LOOK HERE:
http://lotrtcgdb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=5185
Thranduil
Posted: Fri May 18, 2007 2:13 pm
joseph_c_chua wrote:
Yeah, 2 copies of that Uruk card (Fearless Approach) is in my deck. Do you think I should add another Fearless Approach and Village Assassin?

That depends. How does your deck usually take sites? If it usually takes sites with village assassin, then put another copy of each card in. If it doesn’t, it might not be necessary.

joseph_c_chua wrote:
As for Gothmog, I think I have 2 or 3 copies of him. Hm...for more wounding, maybe I can even add Swarthy Hillman: he’s cheap, he’s an archer while I control a site, and he has no spotting requirements!

It depends what you want to do with your sites. For a nice simple ’let’s put loads of wounds on people’, swarthy hillman might be a good idea, but I think it might dilute your uruks too much. Gothmog is a strength 13 fierce minion in any site control deck and gives you another use for controlling sites, but it may also be too diluting. Try them out and see what works.

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
joseph_c_chua
Posted: Sun May 20, 2007 11:04 am
Thanks for the input! So far I’ve only played this deck about 3 times, and I’ve noticed that the shadow starts working only once I reach site 5, when I can play enough strong fierce minions to consistently win skirmishes. After site 5 or 6, the opponent’s fellowship usually is fully exhausted (I just love the synergy of Deathly Roar, Poised for Assault, and You Do Not Know Pain Twisted Evil).

I think I’ll try out this shadow with Gothmog and see how well it does. If Gothmog doesn’t work well, then I’ll focus more on winning skirmishes. Weapons of Control looks like a good card to add.
Foresight
Posted: Sun May 20, 2007 11:10 am
I’d take out the 3 copies of White Hand Enforcer and put 3 copies of Saruman, Agent of the Dark Lord in there instead. (He’s an AWESOME strength pump for Uruk-hai)
In his eyes was the look of a hunted beast seeking some gap in the ring of his enemies. Men
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Sun May 20, 2007 7:39 pm
Awesome Freeps side! I’ve been wanting to make a deck similar to that. One question, have you considered using Long-stemmed Pipe? It’d be nice, since it’s another pipeweed and it’s a way to discard Shadow conditions.

GP for the deck!

- AC
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Standard