LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 0
physcosick
Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:40 pm
--- description ---
Physcosick resubmits his article on the newest format to take control of his life.
--- end description ---

The Physco Introduces a New Format to CobraCards?! ZOMG
By Physcosick

I. What is this new format?
II. Can you show me your deck?
III. How does it work?
IV. How can I play this awesomeness?
V. What are some really good cards to play in this format?
VI. Conclusion

I. What is this new format?

I, Physcosick, bring to you, my loyal readers, the newest thing to knock my friends and I off our feet! In the midst of the ending of my spring semester and just before the dawn of finals, I am EXTREMELY distracted from studying by the newest thing to rock my magic world. The name of this new bittersweet amusement is Type 4. Type 4… simple, right? Yes it is! But that’s just the name; there are rules to the format that must be kept in mind on a consistent basis. What are the basics you ask? Well it’s simple… I’ll describe some primary basics before getting in depth on anything. So here are some basics:
a. Type 4 is, primarily, a multiplayer format that is not sanctioned and not completely recognized by WoTC but has a strong following with the people who play it.
b. Like my previous article, the deck plays out a lot like Highlander in that you only run 1 copy of any one card.
c. Each turn, each player has infinite mana at his or her disposal. That’s right… infinite mana! Not only that, but you can use any color(s) you want! Sounds pretty cool, right? Well that’s where we get to one of the interesting parts of the format…
d. You can only play one spell a turn. Watch out for this one because it can be confusing sometimes as far as figuring out who played a spell and remembering if you played one, too. But watch yourself cause you don’t want to show a card from your hand just to have an opponent say “Hey! You already played a spell this turn!” It could cost you…
e. All players play from one deck. Depending on the preferences and number of players, the game is either played with everyone drawing from the same deck or everyone drafting the deck (more on drafting later).
f. In one on one matches, each player starts with 30 life and draws 7 cards for a starting hand. In a multiplayer game, each player starts with 30 life and draws 5 cards but the person going first is allowed to draw a card, too.
g. More to come later once you get a good idea of what exactly this looks like…

Ok so that are the basic ideas I wanted to cover first before moving on. So, do you understand what is going on? Do you have a basic understanding of what Type 4 is yet? Well if you don’t, too bad, cause I’m writing this in the past and can’t help you out yet… so I’m moving on… I SAID WE’RE MOVING ON!

II. Can you show me your deck?

Alright… this is the start of page two on Microsoft Word. A deck you say? Well if your ready I guess I could go onto Notepad and copy and paste my current list… well since I already have it open, I guess I might as well, eh? Well get ready for the biggest deck list I have ever seen on Cobra Cards… this is a monumental! Ready… 1…. 2….3….4…. 72… 1 and a half… 83! Gogogogo!

“Physcosis- the type 4 edition”

Dangerous Guys:

Akroma, Angel of Wrath
Angel of Despair
Arashi, the Sky Asunder
Autochthon Wurm
Blazing Archon
Body Double
Bogardan Hellkite
Bringer of the Black Dawn
Bringer of the Red Dawn
Bringer of the White Dawn
Chainer, Dementia Master
Chromium
Colossus of Sardia
Crush of Wurms
Deep-Sea Kraken
Draining Whelk
Firemane Angel
Helldozer
Hoverguard Sweepers
Intet, the Dreamer
Kaervek the Merciless
Karn, Silver Golem
Kodama of the North Tree
Krosan Cloudscraper
Lim-Dul the Necromancer
Luminous Angel
Lunar Avenger
Memnarch
Mindleech Mass
Mortivore
Multani, Maro-Sorcerer
NICOL BOLAS
Pentavus
Plated Slagwurm
Platinum Angel
Protean Hulk
Razia, Boros Archangel
Razormane Masticore
Rhox
Rimefeather Owl
Rimescale Dragon
Sabertooth Nishoba
Seizan, Perverter of Truth
Sisters of Stone Death
Suncrusher
Symbiotic Wurm
Teneb, the Harvester
Thorn Elemental
Tidal Kraken
Verdant Force
Vorosh, the Hunter
Yosei, the Morning Star

Weaker but still awesome Guys:

Armored Gaurdian
Aven Fateshaper
Azorius Guildmage
Bane of Living
Chromeshell Crab
Darksteel Gargoyle
Desolation Giant
Dosan the Falling Leaf
Duplicant
Endrek Sahr, Master Breeder
Eternal Witness
Genesis
Glory
Goblin Flectomancer
Godo, Bandit Warlord
Haazda Shield Mate
Hunting Pack
Indrik Stomphowler
Izzet Chronarch
Jaya Ballard, Task Mage
Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
Leonin Abunas
Loaming Shaman
Mageta the Lion
Mischievuos Quanar
Myojin of the Cleansing Fire
Mystic Snake
Nezumi Graverobber
One Dozen Eyes
Pentarch Paladin
Petrified Wood-Kin
Roar of the Wurm
Roiling Horror
Serendib Sorcerer
Silklash Spider
Smokespew Invoker
Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir
True Believer
Undead Gladiator
Voidmage Prodigy
Withered Wretch
Yore-Tiller Nephilim

Mass Removal:

Damnation
Dwarven Catapult
Evacuation
Flowstone Slide
Hour of Reckoning
Savage Twister
Soulscour
Tempest of Light
Wrath of God

Non-mass Removal:

Agonizing Demise
Altar’s Light
Arrest
Barrin’s Spite
Barter in Blood
Betrayal of Flesh
Capsize
Chastise
Chill to the Bone
Condemn
Creeping Mold
Crosis’s Charm
Dakr Banishing
Death Mutation
Death Rattle
Decree of Annihilation
Desert Twister
Devour in Shadow
Diabolic Edict
Disenchant
Dismantling Blow
Echoing Truth
Erratic Mutation
Expunge
Fissure
Heat Ray
Kiku’s Shadow
Korsan Grip
Molder
Mortify
Naturalize
Order/Chaos
Oxidize
Phthisis
Pongify
Premature Burial
Putrefy
Ray of Distortion
Reciprocate
Recoil
Repeal
Reprisal
Rough/Tumble
Scour
Second Thoughts
Seed Spark
Shattering Spree
Shivan Meteor
Squall Line
Slaughter
Swords to Plowshares
Tel-Jilad Justice
Temporal Isolation
Terminate
Terror
Twisted Justice
Volley of Boulders
Wreak Havoc
Wing Shards
Wipe Away

Counters/Misdirection:

Assert Authority
Arcane Denial
Annul
Cancel
Commandeer
Controvert
Counterspell
Decree of Silence
Deflection
Delay
Discombobulate
Dismiss
Dissipate
Trial/Error
Exclude
Fervent Denial
Foil
Fold into AEther
Forbid
Frazzle
Gainsay
Hinder
Imp’s Mischief
Last Word
Mage’s Contest
Meddle
Pyroblast
Red Elemental Blast
Reiterate
Remand
Remove Soul
Rewind
Shunt
Spell Blast
Squelch
Suffocating Blast
Vex

Artifacts:

Aladdin’s Ring
Door to Nothingness
Engineered Explosives
Fireshrieker
Mindslaver
Mizzium Transreliquat
Moratorium Stone
Mourner’s Shield
Ornate Kanzashi
Panacea
Plague Boiler
Soul Foundry
Sunforger
Sword of Light and Shadow
Tatsumasa, the Dragon’s Fang
Thought Dissector
Umezawa’s Jitte
Vedalken Orrery
Worldslayer

Enchantment:

Armistice
Compulsion
Eyes of the Watcher
Future Sight
Grip of Chaos
Necropotence
Oversold Cemetary
Pernicious Deed
Primitive Etchings
Protective Shield
Seal of Primordium
Soothsaying
Standstill
Story Circle
Topsy Turvey

Stealage:

Acquire
Confiscate
Control Magic
Dominate
Domineer
Enslave
Evangelize
Flash Conscription
Grab the Reins
Illicit Auction
Take Possession
Threaten
Word of Seizing

Draw:

COncentration
Mystic Speculation
Opportunity
Promise of Power
Reviving Vapor
Rush of Knowledge
Trade Secrets
Whispers of the Muse

Recursion:

Beacon of Unrest
Cauldron Dance
Cruel Revival
Dread Return
Empty the Catacombs
Exhume
Grim Harvest
Miraculous Recovery
Reanimate
Reaping the Graves
Recall
Reclaim
Recollect
Stir the Grave
Zombify

Lands:

Academy Ruins
Boseiju, Who Shelters All
Dark Depths
Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion

Others:

All Suns’ Dawn
Backlash
Beacon of Destruction
Beacon of Immortality
Beacon of Tomorrows
Boros Fury-Shield
Bound/Determined
Captain’s Maneuver
Chord of Calling
Clutch of the Undercity
Congegation at Dawn
Cremate
Curse of the Fire Penguin
Dawn Charm
Demonic Collusion
Fabricate
Fatal Frenzy
Heroes Remembered
Kaboom!
Master Warcraft
Momentary Blink
Mystical Teachings
Parallectric Feedback
Plunge into Darkness
Pulse of the Forge
Reversal of Fortune
Sudden Impact
Sway of the Stars
Treacherous Urge
Turn the Tables

All right, now is the time when I sit here and explain all of my card choices… psh… yeah right!

III. How does it work?

Ok a few notes:
a. This is the first edition of my deck and I am aware there are several bad cards in there that some more experienced Type 4 players might frown upon but it’s because I haven’t had the ability to trade for a lot of the cards I need. But don’t worry; I’ve played many Type 4 match-ups in my days so I have a pretty good idea what I am talking about.
b. Some of my card choices are errata’d. Do you know what that means? Well in case you don’t it basically means changing the original text of a card to change its impact on the game. Many cards get errata’d to get rid of nasty combos… or sometimes they unerrata a card named Flash and a legacy deck breaks through the roof! So what are a couple of these errata’s? Here are the two that I have errata’d so far:
a. Mischievous Quanar- I changed it so that you can’t go infinite. As an example: I play him morphed and then my opponent plays Sudden Impast targeting me. Inresponse I flip over Quanar and copy the Sudden Impact, inresponse I activate his ability and turn him facedown, then I flip him up again and copy Sudden Impact again. The general idea is, I win. So I changed the wording on it to say that you can use the abilities as instants. However, you can only copy one spell a turn. That way, it is instantly game breaking at all times.
b. Squall Line- The problem with this is one of the things I will cover very soon. But to sum it up: X is in the cost and since you have infinite mana, the X can be infinite. Squall Line deals damage to creatures with flying and all players. Well, that wouldn’t be too fun would it? So I changed it by getting a Marker and covering up the “and each player” clause. That way, I have an instant speed mass removal for fliers, which I was lacking in my deck.
c. Every deck in Type 4 evolves. Week in and week out, good cards get added and bad cards get cut. Cards get errata’d and the game becomes more balanced. However, I must say, my deck has proven to be balanced and that makes me happy.
d. My list does not include a lot Future Sight for 2 reasons:
a. I have not been able to fully analyze the cards in the set and test their Type 4 playability.
b. I don’t really have any Future Sight cards yet.
c. I only put in a few Future Sight cards that my friend had foils of.
e. As you start to play I think you will become aware of a constant problem that can arise. It’s called the “Defensive Ability Rule”. Because of the infinite mana rule, it is possible, at many times during a game, in which a situation may arise where two players go back and forth responding to each other. Here is an example:

Richard has an Azorius Guildmage in play.
Tom has an Armored Gaurdian.

Richard: “I play Phthisis targeting your Gaurdian”
Tim: “Ok well I’ll use it’s ability and give itself pro-black”
Richard: “Inresponse, I’ll counter his activated ability with Azorius Guildmage”
Tom: “Ummm ok, well I’ll make it so that he can’t be the target of spells or abilities”
Richard: “Counter it”
Tom: “Activate…”
Richard: “Counter…”
Both: “I’m bored”

So what do you do in this situation? Well this is a very common thing to come across and the general idea behind the Defensive Ability Rule is that the person who is responding wins. Sort of like how in baseball a tie goes to the runner… but sort of opposite. Whoever is the initial responder to a spell or ability wins the race in the end. Richard, in this case, will win the ability war because he was responding to Tom first. Therefore, the Phthisis resolves and the Guardian is no more, which is a good thing because that thing is a HUGE pain. If you do not understand and would like some more examples, let me know and I will help you out
f. Lastly, there really isn’t any strategy to the deck building… you just throw in good creatures, big creatures, good removal, as many counters as you can find (make sure you don’t play any counters that say “unless target player pays [insert number of mana]” infinite mana, remember?), good control cards, draw spells, just about any good cards you can find! It’s a great way to use some of those old cards that are just lying around not doing anything anymore. A little bit more on card selection later.

IV. How can I play this awesomeness?

Well like I just said, it’s pretty simple to get started, you just need lots of good cards that you aren’t using anymore… and you need friends… but I assure you: Build Type 4 and friends will come. Sure, they may be using you for your type 4 deck but… ummm… hmmm… stop complaining, I’m trying to get you friends! So that’s about it. You need to have a lot of old cards and some new ones, you need friends, but you also need a good understanding of the rules and concept of the format.

Like I mentioned before, there are, essentially, two ways to play the game:
a. Everyone draws from the same deck
b. Everyone drafts for their deck
Drafting is my preferred method of playing. Everyone grabs a pile of random cards from the Type 4 deck and separates them into 3 piles of 15 cards (3 packs). You carry on the rest like a normal draft except instead of packs you have piles of cards. After you draft all 45 cards you have the option of cutting up to 5 cards from your deck. You can play with 45, 44, 43, 42, 41, or 40 but no less. After the decks are made, you carry on the game as usual.

The whole game in and of itself involves a strategy all on it’s own and would take me a whole other article to write about Type 4 strategy. However, if there is enough interest… I’ll see what I can do.

V. What are some really good cards to play in this format?

Quick answer: lots! But to sum it up you need the best cards you have available. Just make sure you keep these categories in mind:

a. Counterspells (very important to have as many counters as possible)
b. Removal (mostly instant speed unless it’s a very good sorcery)
c. Big Guys
d. Smaller but still awesome guys
e. Mass Removal (less important but you need a good amount)
f. Draw Spells (also less important and should be mostly instant speed)
g. Creature Control (i.e. Confiscate, Enslave, and my personal favorite blue card: Dominate)
h. Recursion/Reanimation
i. Damage Prevention (i.e. Panacea, Mourner’s Shield, Protective Shield, etc)
j. Reoccurring Effects (i.e. Cards with Buyback, Tower of Murmus, Tower of Eons, etc)
k. Avoid at all costs cards that can deal infinite damage to opponents (Fireball), create infinite creatures (Skeletal Vampire), can mill your opponent in one activation (Whetwheel), etc. Only use such cards if you errata them but it is important to lower the confusion of the game and keep it as simple (and as errata-free) as possible.
l. Masticores…

Let me explain to you that last one in a non-parenthesis statement. Masticores are creature that deal damage to creatures (much like the card Masticore). The 5 recognized Masticores are:
Masticore
Vampiric Dragon
Flowstone Overseer
Plaguebearer
Smokespew Invoker

But now with the release of Future Sight, Scourge of Kher Ridges can be added to the list. Masticores are very important because they offer a one-sided wrath effect while remaining somewhat balanced at the same time. Future Sight adds a whole other set whose impact is still unknown to the Type 4 format. However, I have my eye on a few cards but I need some time to get them, cut cards, test them, and figure out what I like.

When you build you Type 4 deck, if you build a Type 4 deck, keep in mind the number of players who will be in your playgroup. I have to build for 6 people. Therefore, if we draft decks, 6 X 45 = 270 so I made a 300-card deck to offer a little bit of variety and to offer some extra cards in case I decide to run Booster Tutor. So keep the number of players in mind when you build the deck so you don’t leave anyone out of the fun!

VI. Conclusion

I hope you guys enjoyed another article of mine trying to open your magic needs to broader horizons. The format is extremely fun and has offered some awesome moments with my friends. One of them summed it up by saying “I think that was prolly the funest time I have ever had playing magic” and “This is prolly one of the best investments we have ever made”. The type 4 community is very small compared to other formats that are actually sanctioned; however, those of you who play it consistently will tell you how fun it is. We have no started a tradition. From now on after FNMs we all are going to be going to the local Diner and eating and playing type 4. I promise all of you that if you can find a bunch of good cards and create a balanced deck, you will have some awesome magic moments. So this is Type 4. I hope you guys are intrigued and I hope this article can win me some cards cause my next goal is to FOIL OUT MY TYPE 4 DECK! I’m going to have a Type 4 deck with 300 foils. It’s going to be rough but I think I can pull it off. Well I think I said all I wanted to write in this article.

-This has been physcosick. You stay classy, CobraCards!
Physco's Like List: Felipe Musco, Elflvr, yerkamig, theOmnipotentOne, AgentDrake

Physco's Ban List:
NBarden
Cobra
Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:23 pm
This article was re-posted after accidental deletion by an overzealous administrator. Embarassed Rolling Eyes

It was actually a part of May’s contest (winning first place!), so despite its June posting date it is NOT eligible for the June contest. Reviews and ratings are always welcome but will in no way affect the current contest results.

-- Cobra
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest