LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Standard
LeoKula
Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:13 am
This is my approach to the standard rangers deck. The strategy follows the decklist.

Ring-bearer and the one ring:
Faramir, Bearer of Quality
The One Ring, The Ring of Doom

Companions:
1x Madril, Loyal Lieutenant (s)
1x Pippin, Wearer of Black and Silver (s)
1x Boromir, Defender of Minas Tirith
2x Mablung, Ranger of Ithilien
2x Damrod, Dunadan of Gondor
1x Unyielding Ranger

Possessions:
3x Ranger’s Cloak
4x Ithilien Blade
1x Faramir’s Sword
2x Faramir’s Bow, Ithilien Longbow
1x Kingsfoil
1x Footman’s Armor

Conditions:
1x Portico
1x Tremendous Wall
1x Decorated Barricade
3x Invigorated
2x Steward’s Legacy
2x Home and Hearth

Artifacts:
2x Sapling of the White Tree
1x Scroll of Isildur

Events:
4x No Travelers in This Land

Basicly the strategy is exert, wound and heal!

Faramir’s Bow, Ithilien Longbow is usualy born by Boromir, he can heal himself in an emergency and you can combo him with steward’s legacy to exert the minion assigned to mablung. So you can use him to take two big guys: exhaust the one on faramir and finish him off with pippin, and then you’re helping mablung with two exertions, what makes it easy for him to kill almost every orc / uruk / nazgul there is.

As soon as both home and hearth are in play, Faramir can skirmish every turn. Damrod is essential for healing, since every healing helps this deck.

This deck has some issues like no plan b to save pippin and the ideal setup is 6 companions, so I’m considering taking out Madril since he’s there for an emergency situation in which I need to use Ithilien Blade, in this case I’d start Boromir instead and add at least one Guardian to save Pippin from Mauhur.

About soldier’s cache, as soon as I lay my hands in a few copies, I’m including them!!

And that’s it ! Hope you like it as much as I do!
Thanks

Leo
Last edited by LeoKula on Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total
lem0nhead
Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:26 am
How does guarded protect pippin from mauhur?
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
LeoKula
Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:30 am
Sorry, I meant Guardian.
lem0nhead
Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:33 am
Ahhh ok that makes more sense. The deck is fine mate but id drop the unyielding ranger and something else and add halbarad x2. Cos he a ranger and great for healing, plus hes 7 strength off the bat and could potentially come in for 2 not 3 if the scroll is out.
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
BearerOfQuality
Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:50 am
That’s a good deck, pretty similar to a deck I have built. If you do include soldiers cache, it may be useful to add a couple of defenses long held (+2 strength, reinforce a token) and I would remove the unyielding rangers (though I would anyways) and add silent traveller for some more token reinforcement. Maybe look at adding a couple of heirs of gondor (or another suitable card) and brego. Give Brego to Boromir who can heal himself and he should be able to finsih off any minions who survive
LeoKula
Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:48 am
LH:

I thought about halbarad, but I can’t think of :gondor: cards I would discard, except extra copies of companions,

BoQ:

The idea of using Brego is nice, althought it needs some token support and I don’t really see how this would fit in the deck.

Thank you guys, I look forward to try these possibilities Very Happy
BearerOfQuality
Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:40 am
Hmm, I don’t know, with Soldiers Cache you can exert a ranger to reinforce a token in the regroup phase, silent traveller reinforces tokens at the start of a skirmish against a roaming minion and defense long held adds strength AND reinforces a token. The only thing is which card would be suitable as well for the tokens.

I’m thinking of a deck based on this anyways, but will let you know how it goes.

I also think that Faramir’s resistance is a little low, so would be best to start the ring of rings for the extra resistance. With the amount of corruption decks, it would be wise. Especially as he will be a basic 6 until you pull out 3 artifacts out of a 60+card deck. Home and hearth is okay, but you have to pull them out first and then you will only be able to play Pippin probably around 3 times in the game. Other than that, I really like the deck. I have always focused on ranger decks since FotR
LeoKula
Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:24 am
The deck definitely has its flaws like Faramir’s Resistance for example, but at the same time it can counter a number of corrupting strategies like Enquea ToTo for example... i could kill it with pippin, discard it with IB or even I could somehow exert faramir (ranger’s cloak or IB) just to make it unable to use it’s special ability with steward’s legacy... see? Twisted Evil

LMK when you build your rangers with tokens Smile rangers rock!

Nice avatar and nickname by the way Thumbs Up

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Standard