LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
44%
  [ 4 ]  44%

44%
  [ 4 ]  44%

11%
  [ 1 ]  11%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 9
AdultLink
Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 11:20 pm
--- description ---
A list of 10 of AdultLink’s picks from Hunters.
--- end description ---

June 9, 2006. The Hunters is released! Applause Dancing
The following ten cards represent ten of my favorite Hunters cards. In choosing these ten, I decided to concentrate on some of the more versatile cards, rather than those cards that - while very powerful - have uses that are obvious. For example: Mountain Troll is very powerful, but the first minion that I chose on my list, Black Land Overlord, has a bit more strategy to him. Enjoy. [a few cards do not have images that can be shown when clicked, so I have written in their text]

#10 – Black Land Overlord
4 Black Land Overlord
Minion * Orc
11/2/4
Maneuver: Remove a threat and spot another Orc minion to exert an unbound companion.
The scoop: Black Land Overlord’s real power is in his maneuver ability. It costs you nothing to use: no exertion, no twilight, nothing. All you need is another Orc minion (which means spotting a troll counts!) and threats. He’s great for countering threat spenders like Aragorn, Thorongil, Aragorn’s Bow, Ranger’s Longbow, Sting, Bane of the Eight Legs, Smeagol, Always Helps, Gimli Bearer of Grudges, etc. In addition, he provides a great offensive punch with all the new threat adding Orc cards.
Combos: Try him especially with Black Land Chieftain and Black Land Observer.

#9 – Something Slimy
2 Something Slimy
Event * Fellowship
Spot Smeagol to play a condition from your draw deck. If that condition was a Gollum condition, you may make an opponnent place a random card from his or her hand beneath his or her draw deck.
The scoop: Something Slimy adds even more versatility to the Gollum culture. It is a Free Peoples card with the ability to play any condition from your draw deck. All you need to do is spot Smeagol. At 2 cost, it can be fairly expensive, but it can help you prepare your strategy much faster. As an extra bonus, playing a Gollum condition makes the shadow player put a random card from hand below their deck.
Combos: Try using Something Slimy at site one to set up a twilight choke with cards such as Safe Passage, Come Away, and Follow Smeagol; or throw Smeagol in any starting fellowship and add a couple Something Slimy to pull critical conditions early. In addition, the site Dammed Gate Stream can play Something Slimy from your draw deck - pretty nifty.

#8 – Ulaire Lemenya, Eternally Threatening
The scoop: This is one of the best versions of Lemenya. His cheap 1 cost ability gives huge amounts of strategy back to the threat Nazgul strategies. You’re always guaranteed at least one threat, and he’s fierce too. A couple versions in an Orc threat deck can also maximize Black Land Overlord’s usefulness.
Combos: Hunters gives us extra goodies to make use of Lemenya’s threats. They Feel the Precious is an excellent protection against strategic wounding, so try using Lemenyas and They Feel the Precious to keep your Nazgul alive long enough to use Shapes Slowly Advancing. Later Than You Think gives Dark Approach and Morgul Gates a run for their money and, again, Lemenya provides the threats. Ulaire Cantea, Faster Than Winds, Morgul Orcs, Swarming Like Beetles, the lists go on and on.

#7 – Lying Counsel
1 Lying Counsel
Event * Manuever
Exert your Men Man and spot an unbound companion bearing 3 or more cards to return each Free Peoples card that companion bears to its owner’s hand. The Free Peoples player may add a burden to discard those cards instead.
The scoop: When I learned that Hunters would rotate out Towers Block in Standard Format, I was overjoyed that I would be kissing Grima, Wormtongue goodbye – I didn’t expect this. Lying Counsel gives almost all the perks of Grima’s frighteningly useful maneuver ability. It can be used on all your Men with 2 or more vitality, though your opponent can choose to discard the cards returned for a burden. But while Grima could be countered by exhausting him before the damage was done, Lying Counsel is much harder to counter and comes at an unexpected time as an event from hand.
Combos: This card is great at taking away Durin III’s toys, and can really botch the fellowship’s chances of double moving. Even more useful is to target a condition/possession or two and use shadow conditions such as Harmless and Wielding the Ring to help a companion bear that magic number three. You can even use Strange-looking Men, Swarthy Bree-lander, and Hemmed In to ‘collect’ a group of cards to send to the discard pile or hand.

#6 – Second Breakfast
The scoop: How about another powerful event. Second Breakfast (SB) is it. Most of you will notice it is quite similar to PATHS (Power Acording to His Stature). PATHS could work on any ring-bearer, however, while SB can only be used on Shire ring-bearers. PATHS costs a burden to use (immediate danger), while this uses an exertion and a threat (potential danger). PATHS also can hurt even hunter minions. But don’t be fooled, SB still adds an excellent weapon to the hobbit arsenal.
Combos: Use SB for Frodo’s Standard Format PATHS replacement. Combine it with PATHS, and use Birthday Present to get some hefty Frodo protection. It wouldn’t hurt to keep one in hand to use against swarm decks and as a saving throw if your opponent neutralizes Tale of the Great Ring.

#5 – Bill Ferny, Agent of Saruman
2 Bill Ferny, Agent of Saruman
Minion * Man
4/3/4
If Bill Ferny is unwounded, the Free Peoples player cannot assign him to skirmish a companion.
Shadow: Exert Bill Ferny twice and spot a site you control to add 2.
The scoop: Bill Ferny is also similar to his older version. This time around he gets different vitality and a new culture. His special assignment ability is worthless if he’s got a wound token on him, but he also has an alternate site control function thrown in. He’s also able to bear a wide variety of possessions.
Combos: Specific decks are being currently used in online play that make Ferny the master minion of their strategy. Ferny can be helped with a Pavise to prevent wounds, and several hand weapons to increase his strength. He can be a kind of private assassin for minions you have exhausted with Rapid Reload. You can also go the road of simply not assigning Ferny, giving you room for uses of such cards as Stragglers. And you can throw him in any deck to give you an ace up the sleeve… figuratively speaking.

#4 – Ranger’s Cloak
1 Ranger’s Cloak
Possession * Cloak
[Vit] +1
[Res] +1
Bearer must be a Gondor man.
While bearer is a ranger or at a forest site, each minion skirmishing bearer is site number +2.
Skirmish: Add a threat or exert bearer to make a minion skirmishing a Gondor Man site number +2.
The scoop: Ranger’s Cloak was initially overlooked by some because of the insane power of another possession, Ithilien Blade. The cloak, however, can be mightier than the blade. Ranger’s Cloak has an amazing vitality and resistance aid for any of your Gondor men and can help to make minions roaming as well. It will clearly be added to many a Gondor deck in the future.
Combos: Ranger’s Cloak can be added to combinations of the following cards: Boromir, My Brother, The Saga of Elendil, Narsil, Blade of the Faithful, Anduril, Flame of the West, The One Ring, Answer to All Riddles, The One Ring, The Ring of Doom. The results: Aragorn, up to 7 vitality, Faramir, up to 7 vitality, Isildur or Boromir ring-bearers up to 8 vitality, and Elendil up to 8 vitality! The threat adding part will help to keep minions roaming and provide ammunition for Madril, Defender of Osgiliath to use his ability. It also benefits the Weta card Anarion, Lord of Anorien.

#3 – Gandalf, Powerful Guide
The scoop: Arguably, Gandalf’s most powerful version. His abilities are so amazing they had to restrict him to spotting two hobbits. But please note, that you could also spot hobbit allies to play him. The base strength of eight is a nice feature. As long as you have some decent burden removal, his wounding ability works like a charm… or should I say ‘spell’, heh heh.
Combos: Where to begin? Gandalf, Powerful Guide strengthens the effectiveness of wounding spells such as Terrible and Evil, Fury of the White Rider, Mithrandir, Mithrandir!, and Long I Fell to name a few. Glamdring, Foe-hammer fits nicely to offset his burden adding.

#2 – Mount Doom
The scoop: Low and behold, a site is number 2. Mount Doom explains itself. It’s got a hefty 3 cost, and three keywords! But it’s real use is in preventing your opponents site-playing strategies from killing you. There is no reason this card should not be in most decks, and it probably will be in most top-level decks.
Combos: Pretty obvious. Use the keywords, use the twilight, keep the sights from movin’ around. A great site 9 by the way (how did I think that up?)

#1 – Aragorn, Thorongil
The scoop: You guessed it. We can’t have Hunters without ‘the’ hunter himself. The man’s a beast! Ranger keyword, Hunter of 2, awesome picture, can it get better?!? Yes it can! His maneuver ability is amazing, and so rangeresque. If I was holding a copy of this card, I assure you I’d be drooling. Drool
Combos: I think that this Aragorn will become the new ‘multi-culture’ favorite, knocking Aragorn, Defender of Free Peoples off the throne. His exertion ability will help elves and rohan alike. Exert + minion = good. With him you should have some good threat removal, though. Citadel to Gate, Into the West, and the ever useful Nine Fingered Frodo and the Ring of Doom are prime choices. He’s fun with elf archers, and also cards such as Defend it and Hope and No Travellers in This Land. Just remember, “with great power comes great responsibility”. Use wisely.
Last edited by AdultLink on Thu May 25, 2006 6:42 am; edited 8 times in totalHaves/Wants
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 11:39 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
That’s one sweet article.
ingold55
Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 11:43 pm
Joined: 10 Oct 2005 Posts: 1199 Location: Out on the front line
i really really like the article! Aragorn Thorangil almost had me drooling. Wink one suggestion... start off the artcle in a better way, i personally was like "this isn’t going to be the best artcle in the world, sounds boring." you might want to make it more exciting.
There is a power in this world beyond any of us, and Jesus is that power and The Savior.

Cool this is my attempt to look cool.
Trade list (Want Balrogs and Aragorns)
Cobra
Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 12:36 am
Intro is short and sweet, I guess it just depends on the reader whether it’s "exciting" or not. Maybe use an exclamation point instead of a period? Laughing

Good stuff here AdultLink, and this article certainly needed to be written with the Hunters release coming up! However, I think you miss some really great cards:

Mountain Troll
Just a huge minion with a huge ability. Powerful enough to contribute to the X-listing of Demoralized.

Rapid Reload
Another good tool for Men archery decks. Also powerful enough to get Demoralized banned from Standard-format play.

Forth the Three Hunters and/or Focus
These two cards make a fantastic combo, and are the foundation of a whole new LOTR TCG decktype; I think at least one of them should make the Top Ten list.

Ithilien Blade
You describe this card (very accurately) using the phrase "insane power," but don’t put it on the list. Think

There are also a few cards that while not quite as dramatic, are prized for their efficiency -- for example, Violent Hurl.
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
AdultLink
Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 8:00 am
Thanks for the feedback guys.
Cobra: All those cards you mentioned were totally on my list and I had to shorten it, heh, they all are awesome! I also wanted to try and post some cards that are really versatile, and could be used in several different strategies. I mean, Mountain Troll for instance, rocks, but his use is pretty obvious. Too bad I coudln’t make it a top 15 list, heh Smile
Haves/Wants
sperzdechly
Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 9:54 am
Nice article, well written. It’s good that you placed Mount Doom, Aragorn and Bill Ferny in your article, but I cannot agree with cards from #7 tol #10. Why did you pick them? What about Ithilien Blade, No Visitors, Spear of the Mark, Mauhur, Mountain Troll, Unseen Foe? There are also very powerful, playable and changed meta of LOTRO.
I find your article good and properly written. But it didn’t make me excited or interested in some new cards/strategy. I give you solid 4.
AdultLink
Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 3:32 pm
sperzdechly wrote:
Nice article, well written. It’s good that you placed Mount Doom, Aragorn and Bill Ferny in your article, but I cannot agree with cards from #7 tol #10. Why did you pick them? What about Ithilien Blade, No Visitors, Spear of the Mark, Mauhur, Mountain Troll, Unseen Foe? There are also very powerful, playable and changed meta of LOTRO.

I guess I must explain this, because this is kind of what Cobra said about the article and I guess I didn’t get the point across:
No where in the article, does it make the claim that my list is THE TOP TEN BEST HUNTERS CARDS. That actually wasn’t the point. As you and Cobra suggested, there are many cards that are very powerful that I did leave out. I only selected my ten favorite cards, and wanted to enumerate on them and share my favorite strategies.

Apparantly, I will need to make an edit to explain to people that my list isn’t supposed to be the ’10 best hunters cards’, because most people have felt that way so far, and I don’t want them rating my article on that, rather, rating it on the strategy and points I made about the cards I did.
Neutral
Haves/Wants
Beyo
Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 6:29 am
After all..I hate the hunters idea. This whole block should be x-listed:P
(Yes, I am worst than decipher)Razz
Time in the universe may be eternal..our patience is not
AdultLink
Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 12:03 pm
Hunters is powerful, but people don’t seem to realize that if they don’t like it, than don’t play it! There are plenty of block formats you can play with no hunters cards, the whole point of making new cards is to keep everything moving, rather than having a few good cards be in every deck forever, and the same strategies used over and over.

I don’t really care if you don’t like Hunters Beyo, I can see why some don’t like it or think it’s too powerful. But you should be rating my article on it’s power as an article, not on which cards you like. I don’t understand the ’3’ rating.

People whined when decipher starting making ’objective’ cards and permanant weapon characters in their old Star Wars CCG game too, but if you don’t like a set, don’t play it or buy it. Why are you rating my article badly because you don’t like a set?!?
Haves/Wants
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 3:39 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
umm the images aren’t working so i will wait to vote. What about little golden flower yes I know this article isn’t about the top ten hunters cards but still.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest