LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Casual / Other Formats
Felipe Musco
Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:38 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
Hum... Ivaldi sure does raise a fine point. We’re more tournament-oriented here, and in almost every tournament, matches are best of 3 (which means you have to win TWO legs). This is where the sideboard comes in, you see. But if you’re playing it casually, maybe creating a Switchboard (how does this term sound, Ivaldi?), instead of a Sideboard, may be better. So, instead of having cards to complement your main deck’s strategy, maybe you could add some cards that entirely change your winning strategy. As for being stuck with lands, If you take a look at the deck I suggested, you’ll notice it has more creatures than lands, and for deck strategy purposes, it contains 18 birds! Your deck is a form of what we call weenie, wich is a deck that consists mostly of cheap creatures, with some winning condition (in this case, Coat of Arms and/or Soulcatcher’s Aerie), so it "swarms" the opponents. In this kind of deck, you must ALWAYS have AT LEAST 20 creatures, ’cause they’ll die a lot, and you must have new ones to replace them. Just think about this for a while, and check the tournament decks we call "Ghost Husk", you’ll see what I’m talking about.
I don't like YOU.
Ilvaldi
Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:38 pm
Hmm... "Switchboard" I like that. But say, this brings up a startegy that is quite adopted in tournaments now: you play one style first game. Then after seeing that style, your opponent sideboards cards that beat it, but you sideboard cards that changes your style completely which catches your opponent by surprise and giving yourself an edge.

Musco is quite right about the whole weenie thing. It looks like you’re trying to build a deck similar to white weenie. So, an additional suggestion to building something like that, I would say you need cheap-costing spells that will give you the bang for your buck. Now, I’m not talking about cards like savannah lions, I’m saying you need something like raise the alrm or fists of ironwood. If you do this, you can have room to add more "other" spells rather than creatures, because theses spells will increase creature count at only one card. But keep in mind, they have to be cheap costing cause your mana curve just won’t do. Not to mention, you need cards that fit with your theme--birds. Thats gonna be hard to find. I started playing MTG around Mirrodin Block and never knew Onslaught or any f the others sets, so I’m not familiar with birds, so don’t ask me where to find some good stuff for birds.

Now, let’s say you don’t want a fast weenie deck, but something for fun. Play slow then, come up with some crazy combo and post a list here regardless of considering mana and the luck of draw--we’ll help you figure it out. Just post a list or one deck for "casual" and we’ll help you design you a casual deck--it’ll be agreat challenge for tournament oriented players.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:29 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
Ivaldi is right. You can come up with maybe a theme (say, flying creatures, or flying WHITE creatures) or maybe a combo you like (as simples as a Reach Through Mists + Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind lock as a transmutable card + Heartbeat of Spring + Early Harvest + Blaze or Demonfire) and we can help you build a deck around it, pointing things like: well, if your strategy is X, then you’ll need Y to defend it, and Z may be a faster/better way of getting at it (math classes, anyone?), and in the end you’ll see a nice deck coming up.
Or, of course, you can just stick with the birds, if that is the specific strategy you want. Just raise the mana count back to 20 (trust me, it’s almost impossible to play a deck with fewer than 20 lands, unless its green weenie...), and start cutting cards that are only good against ONE type (or very few types) of deck.
I don't like YOU.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Casual / Other Formats